March of Dimes Employee Reviews in United States

Good Opportunity for Development People
Development Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 20, 2016
March of Dimes in San Diego is a great small office that's is primarily focused on development. They do a gala and committees and large March for Babies walk campaigns. The mission is to improve the health of babies - so in my mind a great one to represent. I'd recommend working there if you like to build things, events, committees and the overall division. They hit a bit of a reboot a couple of years ago in terms of staff and board. Things seem solid under the new ED, who wants to work with people who want to build and are excited about it. She'll give you room to spread your wings and drive your projects IF you do. Job security is good there again if you are development oriented and self-starting. Not so much otherwise. Great organization, pretty nice office space, nice small staff, responsible with donor dollars.
Pros
Freedom to self-drive, opportunities for resume plumping, great mission, solid for development people, young ED
Cons
Mediocre benefits outside of salary and vaca, small office, not SD dedicated programs staff, sink or swim
Productive workplace with excellent opportunities for advancement.
Contracted Event Specialist (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 17, 2016
I am on a temporary assignment as an event specialist. I am grateful for the opportunity. I love being able to be in the field interacting with the sponsors. The hardest part about this job is excepting that my assignment has almost come to and end. I enjoyed my time there and wish that it could have been the beginning of a new career. Never the less I am happy that I was able to be apart of such an awesome mission.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
temporary work
Very Friendly and Helpful
Assistant to the Senior Community Director (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 23, 2016
I learned how to maintain and update a company database, work as a team, and how to plan and execute major events. It was a very pleasurable experience.
Not my favorite place to work.
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 7, 2016
Over worked underpaid, not appreciated! Organization has poor planning and is flying off the seat of their pants. Glad to have another organization to serve.
Pros
Meeting great volunteers and families
Very worthwhile cause and met incredible people!
Division Director (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INMarch 1, 2016
March of Dimes has an incredible cause, healthy babies and healthy moms! It's been very rewarding to work for the organization. I have met incredible people and inspiring families. My success within the company is all due to the wonderful volunteer base that quickly became my friends. The families and volunteers inspired me to push myself and create new and exciting adventures in networking and fundraising.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
I had 6 managers over a 5 year time period
A Cause for Babies
Director (Current Employee) –  West RegionDecember 3, 2015
Great place to work! I have learned a great deal from them and appreciate their history not just in our community but nationally. My co-workers locally, regionally and nationally are all amazing and believe in teamwork. The organization strives to support every staff member in all areas. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting families who have been affected by prematurity or other birth related issues, learning their story and finding ways to help them and others like them.
Wonderful place to work
Supervisor, Online Funds Team (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYOctober 18, 2015
We all work to a common goal, the need to end childhood birth defects.

The work may sometimes be hectic in the run up to the dates for the walks but we always work together knowing we have a common cause.

The staff is made of of many friendly caring and dedicated members. On-Site full cafe and close to all major highways to ease the commute.

Always a pleasure to be thee for the seasonal fund raising drive season.
Good way to meet new people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Palatka, FLSeptember 8, 2015
The March of Dimes is a good way for anyone to learn how to work with both money anf other people. The foundation has a great message to send to people and should be taken in when volunteering.
Too Many Cheifs NO Indians!
Division Director (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 25, 2015
Its a horrible place to work management treats you like slaves and threatens your job when they don't get there way like kids.

They have the highest turn over rate in America. When they have a training everyone in the room hasn't been with the organization over 2 weeks.

HR is horrible they take sides of the State Directors and whatever you tell HR in confidence they tell the State Director which makes things worst.

March of Dimes could care less about work life balance they just want to make money to spend on useless trainings that cost over 2 million dollars in Flordia just one big PARTY.

March of Dimes supports planned parenthood, they use stem cells from aborted babies to do research as well.

They are going through a realignment right now because they have been operating in the RED for 3 years and now they are trying to find money to save the organization.

It's so many snakes in this place it's just sad!!! They could care LESS about saving babies and THATS THE TRUTH!!!
Pros
Cons
Treat People The Way You Want to be TREATED
Very productive non-profit organization that is streamlined effectively for maximizing the organization's funds to support the mission.
Walk America Director (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 17, 2015
Very good company to work for. Clear strategies, clear objectives. They have good community support and a mission that is supported at all levels.
Pros
Good balance of work and home life.
Cons
Though necessary to keep costs low, some jobs are temporary as the jobs support an annual event.
volunteer at Methodist
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dallas,TxJuly 20, 2015
Making sure that all the patients are registered and put in the data sheet. The hardest part is making sure that you accurately put in the information because it can get very busy.
Pros
Training/experience
March of Dimes - Work/Culture
Donor Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJune 19, 2015
Work culture here is great! Good benefits although they tend to always bite you in the end when promoting from within. Even promoting within there aren't a lot of opportunities depending on the department you work in.
Job Work/Life Balance and connection to the mission was by far the best part of this professional experience.
DIVISION DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 19, 2015
From day one I found this opportunity to be rewarding in that MOD connected their employees to the mission. The Job Work/Life Balance was great! These listed above by far were the great qualities of this organization.
I found daily/weekly struggles with management giving staff the tools to succeed. From a behind-the-scenes view, the organization struggles to compete with other major organizations both locally and nation-wide. There was no logistical support for bringing on new sponsorships, events, committee members within my chapter in order to achieve expected results. There was an extremely limited budget to acquire resources needed by any nonprofit organization including but not limited to business cards, chamber of commerce memberships for networking, mileage for "in-field" training and soliciting new donors. Several of these I feel were mandated by local interim management. The organization is currently going through a "restructuring" phase which and I hope.. better equips field staff with achieving budgeted goals. If not, they will continue to fall far below budgeted goals and expectations.
Pros
*see above
Cons
*see above
A great place to work and have a family
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF PROGRAM SERVICES (Current Employee) –  ClevelandJune 4, 2015
Working in mission work gives us flexibility to have families, perhaps go to school. the management is very supportive!
Non profit lifestyle
Community Director (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTMay 18, 2015
Like any non profit, the job work and life balance is what you make of it. Unfortunately the management and upper management are horrible to work with.
Amazing mission, not so amazing managment
Community Director (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLApril 25, 2015
Overall the company needs to be restructured in order to utilize peoples skill and not persecute them for their flaws. There needs to be less layers of management and more support for the individuals actually fundraising for the mission. Way too many conference calls. Extremely overworked and underpaid.
Pros
Amazing mission
Cons
Extremely negative work environment, loss of focus on real mission, no motivation to succeed, goals set to high and unattainable, too many layers of management, poor overall company structure, communication lacking and micro managing.
Planning events
Community Director (Former Employee) –  Ashland KYApril 15, 2015
Planning new events such as Battle of the Bands
Co workers did not work well together
A typical day could last for 6 hours or more depending meeting with volunteers and mileage to attend meetings
Pros
Volunteers and relationships with volunteers
Cons
Other co workers smoked in the back office
Great Organization
Community Director (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYApril 14, 2015
Loved working with this incredible company. At the end of the day you feel like you have helped do something great! They spend money wisely also, which is great because some non-profits dont.
Honest team work environment.
Community Director (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, NYMarch 20, 2015
I worked with great people and leaders I deeply respected for their hard work and dedication to furthering the mission for the health of babies.
Pros
working for a cause.
Cons
none.
Noble cause
Regional Director of MarCom - East Region (Current Employee) –  AtlantaFebruary 23, 2015
75 years of working to improve the health of women and children is a very noble cause and does make some of teh work envirnment issues less painful.
Pros
the mission work
Cons
total lack of strategy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at March of Dimes. Our community is ready to answer.