March of Dimes Employee Reviews

I have worked at the March of Dimes twice full time and 3 times as a part time temp, and every time I go back it still feels like home.
Community Director (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMarch 9, 2012
The March of Dimes has an excellent mission. The company is very diverse in employment and has an excellent training program. The annual conferences are very well planned and well organized and very informative with a good deal of fun thrown in. The salaries are average and above with very good benefits.
Pros
great staff, hard working and friendly, everyone helps each other.
Cons
more e-mailing less face to face volunteer contact
Very productive non-profit organization that is streamlined effectively for maximizing the organization's funds to support the mission.
Walk America Director (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 17, 2015
Very good company to work for. Clear strategies, clear objectives. They have good community support and a mission that is supported at all levels.
Pros
Good balance of work and home life.
Cons
Though necessary to keep costs low, some jobs are temporary as the jobs support an annual event.
Not So Good
Operations (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 26, 2012
I really loved my job until a year ago when management changed on both a regional and local level. I learned so much, and thought I would always work at MOD. Unfortunately, new co-workers changed the entire atmosphere for the worse and upper management did nothing to investigate to improve the situation. The hardest part of my job had little to do with my daily tasks but everything to do with dealing with co-workers. I am sure some chapters/locations have a great working environment but not my chapter. I enjoyed the work that I did so it was unfortunate the new co-workers ruined my experience completely.
Pros
flexibility, good mission.
Cons
co-workers, management.
A great place to work and have a family
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF PROGRAM SERVICES (Current Employee) –  ClevelandJune 4, 2015
Working in mission work gives us flexibility to have families, perhaps go to school. the management is very supportive!
Good way to meet new people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Palatka, FLSeptember 8, 2015
The March of Dimes is a good way for anyone to learn how to work with both money anf other people. The foundation has a great message to send to people and should be taken in when volunteering.
Non profit lifestyle
Community Director (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTMay 18, 2015
Like any non profit, the job work and life balance is what you make of it. Unfortunately the management and upper management are horrible to work with.
Easy fun workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILSeptember 25, 2014
A typical day at work would be the supervisor driving a group of kids (4-5) to a town where we would go door-to-door promoting our coupon book to support the march of dimes. As this being my first job, i learned how to interact with strangers in a friendly manner, i've learned to deal with customer complaints and or issues, and also learned how to make a product sound most appealing. My supervisor was wonderful with teaching me how to do my job well and gave positive feedback. The hardest part of my job was working in the harsh weather. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to interact with so many different people.
Pros
positive feedback, and long breaks.
Cons
harsh weather
Helping babies to have a healthy start!
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 20, 2014
Overall my experience in March of Dimes was personally rewarding. The feeling of collecting enough funds for the philanthropic cause to go on was pure happiness. And communication with families whose lives had been bettered was a joyful experience!
Pros
philanthropic cause
Cons
no benefits
Fun & Creative company that wants you to have a life outside of your job
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Traverese City, MISeptember 26, 2012
I really enjoyed working for this non profit. The events we organized were fun and creative, the office scheduling is family friendly, and the company offers room to grow/re-locate.
Pros
flexible schedules, great benefits and vacation time
Cons
cold calling
Media Relations Internship
Media Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Mamaroneck, NYMay 6, 2012
Drafted pitch letters that incorporated brief descriptions and sending clear requests to reporters to write about numerous topics, publish photos and attended events.

Collaborated with Media Relations Team on various projects including Prematurity Awareness Month, and World Prematurity Day
Assist team to compile press kits for different events, and worked with team to ensure event efficiency.

Performed clerical work including organizing and filing of confidential paperwork, research and presentations.

Utilized Vocuspr, online Marketing and PR Software, to obtain research and data.
Pros
flexible hours, hands on assignments, paid lunch
Cons
does not pay for your hours
Wonderful mission, great work.life balance but lacking management leaders
Community Development Director (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 13, 2014
Wonderful mission, great work.life balance but lacking management leaders
Knowledgeable and friendly manager
Data Management (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 16, 2012
I compliled and checked work amount for temps and myself for inputing event data. I prepared reports.

I learned about QuickBooks and how to print financial reports.

I worked under the IT director in scheduling when to break down event tasks for completion.

The hardest part I can think of were the few times when working under a deadline but those were known coming up and not that bad.

Seeing the complete process of event planning throughout the year was enjoyable and having the smaller segments of it broken down through the year with each completion.
Pros
i learned very much and enjoyed my job.
Cons
pay and not enough hours.
Not what I expected in a non-profit enviroment
Community Director (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 14, 2014
I was extremely passionate about my role as Community Director and used the resources available to me to accomplish the objectives I set for myself. Despite my expectations of a positive work environment considering this was non-profit, the conditions were terrible. My co-workers were rude and unprofessional and refused to help with my on-boarding process.

I would not recommend a successor.
Planning events
Community Director (Former Employee) –  Ashland KYApril 15, 2015
Planning new events such as Battle of the Bands
Co workers did not work well together
A typical day could last for 6 hours or more depending meeting with volunteers and mileage to attend meetings
Pros
Volunteers and relationships with volunteers
Cons
Other co workers smoked in the back office
Great organization, poor employee relations
Community Director (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 4, 2014
It's all about the babies which is great. The culture for the employees is poor at best.
Somewhat productive
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 13, 2012
My typical day at work was to take inventory, put information on excel. I honestly did not learn anything. All of my co-workers were very friendly and made me feel like I had been working there for years. The hardest part of the job, to be honest, was looking for something to do. They never had enough work for me to do, sometimes even nothing. The most enjoyable part of the job was taking part in putting the walk together in April.
Pros
worked with my school schedule
Cons
nothing to do the majority of the time
Great Organization
Community Director (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYApril 14, 2015
Loved working with this incredible company. At the end of the day you feel like you have helped do something great! They spend money wisely also, which is great because some non-profits dont.
Honest team work environment.
Community Director (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, NYMarch 20, 2015
I worked with great people and leaders I deeply respected for their hard work and dedication to furthering the mission for the health of babies.
Pros
working for a cause.
Cons
none.
Noble cause
Regional Director of MarCom - East Region (Current Employee) –  AtlantaFebruary 23, 2015
75 years of working to improve the health of women and children is a very noble cause and does make some of teh work envirnment issues less painful.
Pros
the mission work
Cons
total lack of strategy
Fast Paced
Community Director (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILFebruary 4, 2015
Faced paced environment which provided a lot of learning experience. The state has an staff that is well versed and helpful
Pros
good mission
Cons
too much work to accomplish