March of Dimes Employee Reviews

Great Expectations for Little Pay
Community Director (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 19, 2017
I worked as a Community Manager for the March for Babies Walk for 9 months before I left. The pay is very low compared to other non-profits and you are expected to work more than 40 hours a week. I received an email from the Regional Manager of how a typical day should be. It stated that I check my emails while eating breakfast, arrive at the office by 8am to prepare for the days meetings, have at least 2 meetings scheduled each day, have lunch at a place with free wifi so you can check email and followup on correspondence, and also to check email after dinner.

The committee members and sponsors were very nice to work with, but I could tell they were frustrated with the constant turnaround of employees. Every year they had a new Community Manager to work with because nobody stayed more than a year.
Pros
you get a pay check
Cons
Very Low Pay
Great Cause
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 12, 2017
March of Dimes has a great cause - enjoy going to work everyday for the great cause lifesaving research for premature birth. We had a team of 5 in our department working very closely with teammates.

Once a year we worked the both for the March for Babies Walks, this was an exciting time to see premature babies that has over come their challenges from child birth.

Absolutely enjoyed the Summer Hours that we had, this time aloud us to work smarter and harder at the same time.
Pros
Summer Hours
Cons
Cross Training
Relaxed place to work
Operations Specialist – SE Michigan (Current Employee) –  Port Huron, MIJanuary 9, 2017
This company has been going through a tough time right now and the outlook is unknown. I enjoy working here but the fear of not knowing whether you have a job in a few weeks is very stressful.
Great experience
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MADecember 28, 2016
I worked there for 3 months and 15 hours per week but I learned a lot. My supervisor was very nice and motivated. I enjoyed doing intern there. Thank you for giving me that opportunity.
Part time receptionist
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHNovember 3, 2016
I worked as a temporary person during there fund-raising season.
It was quiet and a brief day. I really did not have co-workers, thinking back I am sure there were no funds most of the year to hire many people. The hardest part was the short term of three months. It hard to settle in if you know you are leaving in 3 months.
The people who came in were the most enjoyable part of the job.
During the fund-raising time you realize how very generous people can be to help out the less fortunate.
Pros
helping a cause.
Cons
only temporary
Volunteer Work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 3, 2016
It was a privilege to have the opportunity to participate in this company event. I am so glad to have been part of the March Of Dimes walk. In company of such charitable people.
Great Mission, Great flex time
State Director (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 14, 2016
Great mission and work life balance. Only reason for leaving was the opportunity for another position for a higher salary with another organization. Would have stayed if the opportunity allowed.
Pros
Awesome Mission
Cons
I was excited to work for them and help out with things they needed done.
Logistics Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 29, 2016
It was always a cool calm and collect environment to work in. I enjoyed the people that I worked with and they were always nice.
Helping improve the others lives give purpose to me every morning I come to work
Associate Director, National Media Relations (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 30, 2016
It's been a great ride at the March of Dimes. For more than 16 years I have helped to improve the health of mothers and babies by positioning this organization as the leading mom and baby nonprofit in the U.S. It is a noble and rewarding job.

I am also lucky to have worked with some incredibly talented individuals. They've taught me the meaning of perseverance, hard work and what it means to work as a team.

It's also been a pleasure to serve the thousands of volunteers who have personal connections to our mission and are our true inspiration.

I'm only as good as my last success. That means I'm always working to succeed every day. It's that and trying to communicate with one voice throughout the foundation are some of my greatest challenges at the foundation.
Pros
The people at the organization
Cons
The people at the organization
The job listed is part-time - not full-time!
n/a (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 13, 2016
I was called for a phone interview and come to find out it is a part time position, 21 hours a week, but it doesn't say so. She apologized and said she would change it. I do not see that the link that indeed.com goes to have any changes or updates on it yet. Be advised - Development Specialist in Wichita, KS is a 21 hour a week, heavy duties, low pay job.
Good Opportunity for Development People
Development Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 20, 2016
March of Dimes in San Diego is a great small office that's is primarily focused on development. They do a gala and committees and large March for Babies walk campaigns. The mission is to improve the health of babies - so in my mind a great one to represent. I'd recommend working there if you like to build things, events, committees and the overall division. They hit a bit of a reboot a couple of years ago in terms of staff and board. Things seem solid under the new ED, who wants to work with people who want to build and are excited about it. She'll give you room to spread your wings and drive your projects IF you do. Job security is good there again if you are development oriented and self-starting. Not so much otherwise. Great organization, pretty nice office space, nice small staff, responsible with donor dollars.
Pros
Freedom to self-drive, opportunities for resume plumping, great mission, solid for development people, young ED
Cons
Mediocre benefits outside of salary and vaca, small office, not SD dedicated programs staff, sink or swim
Productive workplace with excellent opportunities for advancement.
Contracted Event Specialist (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 17, 2016
I am on a temporary assignment as an event specialist. I am grateful for the opportunity. I love being able to be in the field interacting with the sponsors. The hardest part about this job is excepting that my assignment has almost come to and end. I enjoyed my time there and wish that it could have been the beginning of a new career. Never the less I am happy that I was able to be apart of such an awesome mission.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
temporary work
Very Friendly and Helpful
Assistant to the Senior Community Director (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 23, 2016
I learned how to maintain and update a company database, work as a team, and how to plan and execute major events. It was a very pleasurable experience.
Not my favorite place to work.
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 7, 2016
Over worked underpaid, not appreciated! Organization has poor planning and is flying off the seat of their pants. Glad to have another organization to serve.
Pros
Meeting great volunteers and families
Very worthwhile cause and met incredible people!
Division Director (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INMarch 1, 2016
March of Dimes has an incredible cause, healthy babies and healthy moms! It's been very rewarding to work for the organization. I have met incredible people and inspiring families. My success within the company is all due to the wonderful volunteer base that quickly became my friends. The families and volunteers inspired me to push myself and create new and exciting adventures in networking and fundraising.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
I had 6 managers over a 5 year time period
A Cause for Babies
Director (Current Employee) –  West RegionDecember 3, 2015
Great place to work! I have learned a great deal from them and appreciate their history not just in our community but nationally. My co-workers locally, regionally and nationally are all amazing and believe in teamwork. The organization strives to support every staff member in all areas. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting families who have been affected by prematurity or other birth related issues, learning their story and finding ways to help them and others like them.
Wonderful place to work
Supervisor, Online Funds Team (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYOctober 18, 2015
We all work to a common goal, the need to end childhood birth defects.

The work may sometimes be hectic in the run up to the dates for the walks but we always work together knowing we have a common cause.

The staff is made of of many friendly caring and dedicated members. On-Site full cafe and close to all major highways to ease the commute.

Always a pleasure to be thee for the seasonal fund raising drive season.
Good way to meet new people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Palatka, FLSeptember 8, 2015
The March of Dimes is a good way for anyone to learn how to work with both money anf other people. The foundation has a great message to send to people and should be taken in when volunteering.
Too Many Cheifs NO Indians!
Division Director (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 25, 2015
Its a horrible place to work management treats you like slaves and threatens your job when they don't get there way like kids.

They have the highest turn over rate in America. When they have a training everyone in the room hasn't been with the organization over 2 weeks.

HR is horrible they take sides of the State Directors and whatever you tell HR in confidence they tell the State Director which makes things worst.

March of Dimes could care less about work life balance they just want to make money to spend on useless trainings that cost over 2 million dollars in Flordia just one big PARTY.

March of Dimes supports planned parenthood, they use stem cells from aborted babies to do research as well.

They are going through a realignment right now because they have been operating in the RED for 3 years and now they are trying to find money to save the organization.

It's so many snakes in this place it's just sad!!! They could care LESS about saving babies and THATS THE TRUTH!!!
Pros
Cons
Treat People The Way You Want to be TREATED
Very productive non-profit organization that is streamlined effectively for maximizing the organization's funds to support the mission.
Walk America Director (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 17, 2015
Very good company to work for. Clear strategies, clear objectives. They have good community support and a mission that is supported at all levels.
Pros
Good balance of work and home life.
Cons
Though necessary to keep costs low, some jobs are temporary as the jobs support an annual event.