Marcus & Millichap Employee Reviews

No culture, terrible corporate environment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 19, 2015
The company has no market share and does not have much respect from the real estate market. Better off working with a brokerage firm that has more market share.
Great Training
Broker-Salesperson/ Commercial Investment (Former Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 10, 2015
They provide great training but it is difficult to get leads unless you join one of their existing teams. Additionally, it is difficult to join a team.
Pros
Training
Cons
Lead system
Overall Good
Investment Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2015
Good Company and very nice to work here. Lot of opportunity for advancement and management is very helpful good bad great wonderful grand
Self-starting All commission
Sales Program (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLAugust 24, 2015
Very good training program. Learn only about investment sales. All commission structure as an agent. Good culture and collaboration.
Pros
Training program
Cons
Corporate
Not for everyone...
Brokerage Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 14, 2015
I would not suggest working for this company unless you have strong financial support going into the business. Company provides nothing for its agents what-so-ever.
BEST JOB EVER
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIMay 6, 2015
This company is a great company to work for. You feel appreciated here, everyone will stop what they are doing to help you if you need something. What you see is what you get, room to grow, lots of fun office activities through out the year.
Pros
free lunch, PTO, Free Dress, Close on Holidays
Cons
Productive and extremely competitive work environment
Licensed Real Estate Agent (Former Employee) –  Encino, CAMarch 26, 2015
We would meet every Monday and go over the previous week. Here, I learned how to be a great real estate agent. Management was great and helpful meanwhile, the commission split was terrible. I loved working here because we had many young and hungry real estate agents and for the most part, we got along very well.
Great place to work with a great work environment and great employees
Private Contractor - Transaction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 11, 2015
A typical day at work was supporting two leading commercial real estate retail brokers and any task that may arise. Typical daily tasks included producing marketing packages in InDesign, responding to marketing inquiries, creating email campaigns, and any other needs that may arise from the brokers. I learned a lot about time management in a fast paced environment, how to prioritize multiple time sensitive tasks and meet crucial deadlines. Everyone that worked at Marcus and Millichap was a pleasure to work for and that made the job even more enjoyable.
Good
agent assistant (Former Employee) –  brooklynFebruary 25, 2015
I only did databasing in there and it is boring. All I need to do is doing some property research and entered into their system.
Productive work place with flexible hours.
Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 17, 2014
A typical day at work consists of: responding to e-mails, creating post cards and LA Times ads, creating proposals and marketing packages, updating internal database, property management, and coordinating transactions. I have learned a lot about real estate while working here, and I know it will be beneficial in the future when I decide to invest in properties. I really enjoy the company of my co-workers, they make work more enjoyable. The hardest part of my job is dealing with tenants who do not want to pay rent, which leads evicting them. The most enjoyable part of my job is finding a buyer for properties with my marketing collateral.
Pros
professional environment, flexible hours
Cons
personal growth but cannot move up in the company as a marketing assistant
Great Income Potential
Sales Intern Professional, Marcus & Millichap (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNSeptember 4, 2014
250 Cold Calls per week. No base salary. Learned a lot about commercial real estate and sales training I still use to this day. Excellent training and mentoring programs.
A tense environment run by overbearing management, not condusive to creative growth
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJune 14, 2014
A typical day at work is very routine-based — lunch schedules and breaks are rigidly set in stone, and being away from one's desk to socialize or eat between breaks is very highly frowned upon.

The office is run by a single manager, although I rarely interact directly with her — I report to two other coworkers who are not specifically "middle management" but who meet with the manager on a daily basis. One of these coworkers is the brand manager with whom I work closely, and who supervises our small design team of four. I very much enjoy working with the three other designers — they are extremely talented and creative individuals. They're supportive, and always willing to offer advice or assist with challenging or confusing projects.

Most other coworkers in the office are equally friendly and supportive, and I rarely feel uncomfortable around anyone save the manager and brand manager. They micromanage to the extreme, and can be exceptionally harsh, critical, and difficult to interact with, often placing blame on issues where blame is not due. The hardest part of my job is keeping up with the constant policy and branding changes in the office — knowing what I can or cannot do design-wise, and how much creativity is acceptable at any given time in the advertising and print publications we produce.

The most enjoyable part of my job is taking on creative assignments such as photo composites, and utilizing my Photoshop skills as I collage together seamless, visually exciting pieces. I am rarely assigned creative projects such as these, and think my skills would be better implemented
  more... if I were given the opportunity to take on more design-heavy projects.

I have learned a great deal about HTML during my 12 months in this position. I completed an online tutorial "class" through the website Aquent, and learned much about web design and how to properly use HTML and CSS to create functioning web pages. Before completing the class I only knew the basics of HTML and CSS, but I can now use code properly and effectively to create web pages I am proud of.
Pros
fun, supportive coworkers
Cons
not allowed to eat at desk, short breaks, no healthcare or benefits, overbearing management, distrustful environment
Boiler Room
INVESTMENT SALES (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 13, 2014
Cold call, cold call, cold call! Good place for someone just out of college, but not a seasoned professional.

You will not make any money for a year. Must have savings to weather the storm.
Pros
fun work environment
Cons
no salary or benefits & very little support
Unique Real Estate Company
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 3, 2014
Commercial real estate brokerage firm in Boston, MA. New office so the work has been steady with plenty of curveballs. More management and direction needed from the corporate offices.
It will eat you alive
Commercial Real Estate Investment Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 31, 2014
If you want to get into this field you better be ready to pound the phones all day long for at least a year or two before seeing any money. If you've seen any money (income from commission) than you're still in the very rare 5% group of work bees. Very important to remember that you are called calling the same people that your co-workers are calling and you are going to be yelled at and hung-up on so many times that you'll start asking yourself: "what am I doing in this cube all day long?" A classic example of way to much demand (for brokers) and way to little supply (of deals being made). Obviously M&M don't pay if you don't pay them from closing deals so their marginal cost of hiring you is close to zero. You'll just be food for the dinosaurs in the business who will claim the investors you're talking to are theirs. Management will always take the side of the money makers who are much more established. People don' get fired in that business, they just wake up one day to realize they're wasting their lives.
Pros
flexibility to make your own schedule
Cons
if you want to have somewhat of a chance to make it, you need to work at least 60 hours a week and waste a lot of your personal money on gas, meetings, lunches, etc. to impress big fish.
Great for office workers
Brokerage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicagoland AreaJanuary 12, 2014
I was a secretary. The pay way great and I really liked doing what I was doing. My managers were mean but that was just my location; most managers are pretty good.

There are not of lot of places to move up if you're a secretary. You're either lowest secretary, middle secretary, or top secretary. My office didn't need a middle secretary so the top secretary and I shared some duties.

I was never a broker but it looks like it's hard work and if you're not really a sales person it isn't going to work out for you. You've got to really have the drive to go out and get your leads and make things happen, not just make the requisite number of cold calls and then go home.
Pros
standard work hours, the work isn't going to make you crazy
Cons
not a lot of room to move up.
M&M
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Encino, CADecember 2, 2013
Competitive Real Estate Brokerage Company. Field Trips to properties for assessments. I learned client interactions as well as how to analyze a property, including acquisitions.
Long pay cycle
Investment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2013
The hardest part of the job is being paid over a long period of time. I start my day around 7:30 and have morning meetings, Hit the phones to set up meetings with clients, Plan my days around those meetings. Get clients to list their properties with me and try to find a buyer for that investment.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
long pay cycle
Must be able to work independently
Real Estate Investment Broker (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 4, 2013
Must be a self-starter with little supervision. Many work hours are necessary to get started.
Real Estate License focusing on investment sales.
Broker Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 31, 2013
Real Estate License focusing on investment sales. I specialized in selling multi-family properties.