Marcus & Millichap Employee Reviews

cut throat
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 20, 2017
cut throat boiler room environment. Tons of cold calls and a lack of purpose. Good skill set development but not a place to stay long term. Better to get your sales skills here and then relocate to a different firm.
Fantastic company
Real Estate Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 13, 2017
Great support from management unfortunately family was hit by hurricane Rita and had to leave the state. By far, best company I ever worked for with solid leadership
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 30, 2017
Marcus & Millichap is not for the faint of heart. Expect to make no money the first 18 months, but also expect to make more than any of your friends in 3 - 5 years. I recommend intering in commercial real estate before just going for it. It is normal not to get paid in commercial real estate. So first figure out that you like it. Once you realize that this is the field you want to be in, aim for one of the top five large firms. I chose M&M because of their training programs. You will have 10-12 hours a week for about six months to a year of training. It will teach you everything from building a database, cold calling, setting first meetings, and getting a listing. The environments is definitely for type A personalities. You will have a lot of fun with your office, you will meet individuals who have extra millions of dollars floating around looking to invest. Overall a great place to work. But keep in mind they do not pay you, it is a 100% commissions job, but after those first 18 months of making 250 cold calls for 6 months straight, you will be in route to making 150+ by your third year in.
Pros
Training
Cons
You do not get paid
fun team outings and office atmosphere
Staff Intern (Former Employee) –  Encino, CAOctober 5, 2017
Very young climate in the office, little putting games along with desk basketball, frequent team lunches, kept everyone motivated. i really enjoyed my time here
Underpaid and undervalued
Marketing & Communications Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2017
My direct manager was kind and we had a great professional relationship, but I was promised raises and bonuses which I never received. Meanwhile, I received nothing but praise and high reviews about my work and conduct.
Pros
I liked my team and the office was nice
Cons
underpaid, lacking room for professional growth
Very nice
Data Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2017
People are very nice and the working environment is good. I got the unpaid internship for my fall term. I find it good. I highly recommended to others.
Horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2017
They work you and the senior gets paid...... do not waist you time if you do not have all bills paid and 25,000 to survive, its white collar theft.....
Communications Department
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJuly 26, 2017
The communications department is composed of amazing workers but poor micro management. They produce awesome materials, work under crazy last minute deadlines and still smile through it all. Not for the faint of heart or someone who likes free time. It is a very stressful environment, but the people working there make it worth it.
Commission based position
Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 24, 2017
if you want to be a real estate broker for small private deals this is the job for you. compete with other brokers in office and other companies, and outright buyers.
Good perks and snacks at corporate office
Director (Current Employee) –  Calabasas, CAJuly 7, 2017
Good work life balance. Good people and closely nit culture. The downside is very limited grwoth opporunities. The individuals in the current positions are not retiring anytime in the near future.
Productive and Fun work environment
Commercial Real Estate Analyst (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 28, 2017
If you want to be in commercial investment real estate, Marcus and Millichap offer the best training program. Collaborative work environment, sales competitions, and networking with investors. Management is there to help and train.
Awesome!
Commercial Real Estate Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 22, 2017
I had only volunteered for a family friend of mine there while i was on my Christmas vacation but while I was there I had an absolute blast with everyone!
Like walking on eggshells
Brokerage Administrator (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 15, 2017
Constantly working against the clock to meet a variety of deadlines. While there were a wide range of personalities overall good people. The turnover rate is high. Many people don't last very long when trying to become an agent. It's important to know that the agent candidates along with agents and brokers are paid solely on commission. Each individual is their own business and therefore are not directly employed by the company. There are no hourly rates for these individuals so it makes sense when they are on edge a little bit.

As a brokerage administrator you are basically the "go-to" person. You are responsible for assisting all agents and brokers in growing their business. You are also in charge of many miscellaneous tasks around the office such as cleaning the conference rooms, maintaining the cleanliness of the break room in addition to keeping inventory of supplies in the kitchen and in the office. One also answers phones and has to know how to use a switchboard.

There is a lot of "learn it on your own" time in this job. There are a plethora of videos available to learn and not very much hands on training. The process can become very monotonous.
Pros
free lunches, breakfast, company gatherings, healthcare
Cons
A lot of resources but not enough hands on assistance.
Great place
Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 13, 2017
This is a great place to work. I would strongly recommend it to anyone interested in pursuing a career in this industry. The management is outstanding. The office culture is progressive and professional. The training and instruction is ample as is the continued support and education.
Productive if you want it to be
Broker Assistant (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 5, 2017
You need to put in alot of hours in order to have anything with a manageable payout. You have to work weekends, nights, pretty much all the time in order to get results.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
No healthcare
I spent 17 + years with them and made a lot of good contacts
Vice president investments (Former Employee) –  floridaJune 4, 2017
Great company, I learned a lot . I had a long successful career with them. when the company went public our opinions and ethics just differed. I wish them well.
Pros
could work as hard as you wanted
Cons
only as good as your last day
Competitive work environment
Real Estate Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 25, 2017
Great place to work if you can live a year without making money because it is 100% commission and it takes a while to develop a pipeline of clients. Success depends on how much work you put in.
Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 21, 2017
If your goal is to fully understand investment real estate, there is no other company like Marcus and Millichap. Here you will learn all of the ins and outs of what is possible with investment property. Great company and management is fantastic.
Pros
Great place for resources
Cons
hours very long and start up time takes a while.
Sink or swim
Staff (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 9, 2017
Good company to learn from because you're thrown into the fire with very little training, and expected to know everything. If you're a women, there's unfortunately not much room for growth though.
productive workplace
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 18, 2017
Marcus and Millichap was a great place to have an internship. They are all very highly motivated people working in the Long Beach office and taught me a lot about Real Estate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marcus & Millichap. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8