Marcus & Millichap

Marcus & Millichap Employer Reviews

Great Income Potential
Sales Intern Professional, Marcus & Millichap (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNSeptember 4, 2014
250 Cold Calls per week. No base salary. Learned a lot about commercial real estate and sales training I still use to this day. Excellent training and mentoring programs.
A tense environment run by overbearing management, not condusive to creative growth
Graphic Designer (Current Employee), Walnut Creek, CAJune 14, 2014
Pros: fun, supportive coworkers
Cons: not allowed to eat at desk, short breaks, no healthcare or benefits, overbearing management, distrustful environment
A typical day at work is very routine-based — lunch schedules and breaks are rigidly set in stone, and being away from one's desk to socialize or eat between breaks is very highly frowned upon.

The office is run by a single manager, although I rarely interact directly with her — I report to two other coworkers who are not specifically "middle management" – more... but who meet with the manager on a daily basis. One of these coworkers is the brand manager with whom I work closely, and who supervises our small design team of four. I very much enjoy working with the three other designers — they are extremely talented and creative individuals. They're supportive, and always willing to offer advice or assist with challenging or confusing projects.

Most other coworkers in the office are equally friendly and supportive, and I rarely feel uncomfortable around anyone save the manager and brand manager. They micromanage to the extreme, and can be exceptionally harsh, critical, and difficult to interact with, often placing blame on issues where blame is not due. The hardest part of my job is keeping up with the constant policy and branding changes in the office — knowing what I can or cannot do design-wise, and how much creativity is acceptable at any given time in the advertising and print publications we produce.

The most enjoyable part of my job is taking on creative assignments such as photo composites, and utilizing my Photoshop skills as I collage together seamless, visually exciting pieces. I am rarely assigned creative projects such as these, and think my skills would be better implemented if I were given the opportunity to take on more design-heavy projects.

I have learned a great deal about HTML during my 12 months in this position. I completed an online tutorial "class" through the website Aquent, and learned much about web design and how to properly use HTML and CSS to create functioning web pages. Before completing the class I only knew the basics of HTML and CSS, but I can now use code properly and effectively to create web pages I am proud of. – less
Boiler Room
INVESTMENT SALES (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 13, 2014
Pros: fun work environment
Cons: no salary or benefits & very little support
Cold call, cold call, cold call! Good place for someone just out of college, but not a seasoned professional.

You will not make any money for a year. Must have savings to weather the storm.
Unique Real Estate Company
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Boston, MAJune 3, 2014
Commercial real estate brokerage firm in Boston, MA. New office so the work has been steady with plenty of curveballs. More management and direction needed from the corporate offices.
It will eat you alive
Commercial Real Estate Investment Agent (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 31, 2014
Pros: flexibility to make your own schedule
Cons: if you want to have somewhat of a chance to make it, you need to work at least 60 hours a week and waste a lot of your personal money on gas, meetings, lunches, etc. to impress big fish.
If you want to get into this field you better be ready to pound the phones all day long for at least a year or two before seeing any money. If you've seen any money (income from commission) than you're still in the very rare 5% group of work bees. Very important to remember that you are called calling the same people that your co-workers are calling – more... and you are going to be yelled at and hung-up on so many times that you'll start asking yourself: "what am I doing in this cube all day long?" A classic example of way to much demand (for brokers) and way to little supply (of deals being made). Obviously M&M don't pay if you don't pay them from closing deals so their marginal cost of hiring you is close to zero. You'll just be food for the dinosaurs in the business who will claim the investors you're talking to are theirs. Management will always take the side of the money makers who are much more established. People don' get fired in that business, they just wake up one day to realize they're wasting their lives. – less
Great for office workers
Brokerage Assistant (Former Employee), Chicagoland AreaJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: standard work hours, the work isn't going to make you crazy
Cons: not a lot of room to move up.
I was a secretary. The pay way great and I really liked doing what I was doing. My managers were mean but that was just my location; most managers are pretty good.

There are not of lot of places to move up if you're a secretary. You're either lowest secretary, middle secretary, or top secretary. My office didn't need a middle secretary so the top secretary – more... and I shared some duties.

I was never a broker but it looks like it's hard work and if you're not really a sales person it isn't going to work out for you. You've got to really have the drive to go out and get your leads and make things happen, not just make the requisite number of cold calls and then go home. – less
M&M
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Encino, CADecember 2, 2013
Competitive Real Estate Brokerage Company. Field Trips to properties for assessments. I learned client interactions as well as how to analyze a property, including acquisitions.
Long pay cycle
Investment Specialist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: long pay cycle
The hardest part of the job is being paid over a long period of time. I start my day around 7:30 and have morning meetings, Hit the phones to set up meetings with clients, Plan my days around those meetings. Get clients to list their properties with me and try to find a buyer for that investment.
Must be able to work independently
Real Estate Investment Broker (Former Employee), Southfield, MINovember 4, 2013
Must be a self-starter with little supervision. Many work hours are necessary to get started.
Real Estate License focusing on investment sales.
Broker Associate (Former Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 31, 2013
Real Estate License focusing on investment sales. I specialized in selling multi-family properties.
Cut Throat
Commercial Real Estate Agent (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 10, 2013
You better be a coffee drinker if you want to survive here - Glengarry Glen Ross, look it up.
Low accountability
Brokerage Administrator (Former Employee), Seattle, WAOctober 3, 2013
Pros: worked with all different types of people!
Cons: management failed
My position included working as a team on projects such as; rent surveys, proposals, sales aids, etc. All projects were divided into sections and those sections were individual assignments for completion. Once completed you would pass section along to office/project manager for editing and combining to make complete project and eventually submit to – more... Broker for presentation to client. My experience was to say the least, very discouraging... I will explain... When working on a project I would always make copies of the work I completed prior to handing over to my manager. After handing over my completed section My manager made corrections and handed to broker. The corrections that were made by Manager and the numbers she entered were incorrect resulting in a loss of client and loss of possible commission. My manager put blame on me and threatened me with loss of my position and employment. I had proof of my work and proof of her incorrect editing and went branch lead. He turned me away stating that she was too valuable to Marcus & Millichap. I decided that I wanted to work in a company that valued honesty, work ethic with integrity, even for the low man on the totem poll (me). I gave my notice! Within five years of my resignation both employees were let go!

On a side note, I obtain two letters of recommendation from two different Brokers that I worked with! – less
Fast paced, challenging environment.
Executive Assistant to Vice President (Former Employee), Palo Alto, CAAugust 13, 2013
Pros: long hours, limited pay.
Cons: interesting and challenge work.
I worked on all administrative tasks related to running an office smoothly in Commercial Real Estate. Email blasts, drafting loans, LOI's Calendar Management, Office Manager. I learned a lot about promotions, time management skills, stellar customer service skills. The hardest part of the job was the lack of guidance and sometimes volatile work environment. – more... The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things everyday about the real estate business. – less
Excellent training program
Senior Housing Group- Commercial Real Estate Agent (Former Employee), Tampa, FLFebruary 9, 2013
Pros: excellent competitive team environment
Cons: feast of famine. if your senior agent is not the best in the market you will be on the famine side.
I learned a lot regarding investment brokerage and worked in a competitive team environment. There was not a lot of support to grow as a team. Must work with a top producing senior agent.
Not a great place to learn anything
Intern (Former Employee), EncinoOctober 11, 2012
Pros: nice offices
Cons: not the best
Big company. Nobody has time for you and they are not serious about new collage grad. they are looking for experienced most Agent on commission only.
Exciting, Fast-Paced work in Commercial Real Estate co.
Admininistrative Assistant (Former Employee), Newport Beach, CASeptember 13, 2012
Great experience in a new field. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendly staff & clients I worked with. Also, gaining a better understaing of the Orange Co. commercial real estate market, and the applications used to run an efficient business was interesting.
Exciting, Fast-Paced work in Commercial Real Estate co.
The branch manager was a great and competitive person.
Real Estate Agent (Former Employee), LONG BEACHAugust 30, 2012
Pros: well known company
Cons: no salary and no hourly pay
Starting off, the typical work day was demanding in the sense that you had to make at least 50 phone calls a day.

I learned the ins and outs of what it takes to become a Commercial Real Estate Agent.

My boss, was a great person and great to work for. He was extremely competitive and liked to always keep the ball rolling.

The hardest part of the job – more... was to keep working hard even though you do not get paid unless you close a deal. To close a deal, you have to build relationships over the span of a year. So basically, you have to be willing to work your tail off for no pay for up to a year. – less
Terrible experience
Hotel Real Estate Sales (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 14, 2012
Pros: nothing, total joke
Cons: bunch of lies to get you in the door...
What a total scam...after spending three months there and spending thousands of dollars, the management(RM) and Senior Broker refused to assist me on completing a project that they knew I had no experience doing. That's all I'm gonna say...

Great for senior brokers but very bad for new people..more of a cold calling training for $2500, plus new computer, – more... etc – less
Horrible
Brokerage Administrator (Former Employee), Ontario, CAJune 22, 2012
Pros: hours given
Cons: managment
Compensation is the only good thing about being on staff at this job. Working for the company itself leaves much to be desired. When you work directly with the Brokers it is more enjoyable. The managment at the Ontario Branch is horrible. They want to sit back while the staff does all the work.

About Marcus & Millichap

If you've got several million burning a hole in your pocket, or you're looking to unload that old skyscraper, Marcus & Millichap – Read more