Marcus Theatres

Marcus Theatres Employee Reviews in United States

Absolutely loved the environment
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILFebruary 11, 2016
Not only was Marucs Theatres my first job, but it was probably the funniest job I've ever had by far. The adrenaline of a Friday night was almost addicting due to rush hour and how quickly I had to work to make the customers happy. The best part about working with customers, to me, is making sure they have a smile on their faces. If they're happy, I'm happy. Because this was my first job, I learned how far I could be pushed in order to get the job done.
Pros
Free food if none of the customers ate it after closing shift
Cons
Not very safe food handling skills
Easy going and fun part time job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIFebruary 7, 2016
My typical day at work includes: create a welcoming environment for guests, anticipate needs of guests, implement creative solutions to provide exceptional service, assist GM with training associates, supervise and coach theatre associates to sustain exceptional levels of performance, counsel associates when they are not meeting expectations, use proficient problem solving skills, follow up with guest complaints, work with cash on the sales floor and in the back office, operate projection equipment, perform basic projection troubleshooting, enforce applicable laws and regulations, preserve confidentiality of theatre information, process daily corporate office or supervisor requests via phone and email. While working with Marcus I learned more about how to be a leader. This was the first job where I was promoted into a position of power and so I was able to people my leadership skills into action. The most enjoyable part of my job was some of the lovely co-workers I have had the pleasure to meet and work with as well as the free movies I would get to enjoy off the clock.
Pros
Free movies, soda and popcorn
Cons
too much drama, no breaks, very little thought about employees, horrible pay
No Pay Raises
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pickerington, OHJanuary 31, 2016
Although I enjoyed working for this company, the staff is underpaid. Associates make minimum wage, but raises are rarely given. The assistant managers work very hard and are equipped to run the building but they make just a little more than minimum wage.
Pros
Flexible Schedules and time off
Cons
low pay, poor communication
Perks are just about the only thing`
Frontline Staff (Current Employee) –  Rothschild, WIJanuary 20, 2016
Being that their CEO is a former VP from Walmart, Marcus Theatres only goal is to pad the pockets of investors. They do this by having strict rules on payroll. So often, you'll find yourself with far fewer hours than expected. Their sole benefit is life insurance. No vacation, no health insurance, unless you happen to work full-time,, but then again, Assistant Managers barely get 35 hours per week. Remember, Walmart blood leading this company. They pay minimum and give the minimum. The communication from upper management is nearly non-existent. They struggle with employee retention. Because while the CEO is barking at the General Managers to find talented people, they're not willing to compete to even attain and keep talented people.

The only perk to the job is free movies and some concessions.

The work really isn't difficult to do. And it can be enjoyable helping the public. But the company doesn't care all that much about the guests, so you'll find that their economical approach to the movie experience brings in some unpleasant clientele.
Pros
Free popcorn and soda, $1 movie pass for every 12/hrs work
Cons
Greedy company, cares more about investors than employees, pretends to care about customers, low pay, no benefits
Average
Vendor (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILDecember 10, 2015
Overall, Marcus Theatres has both pros and cons of working there. it is great for a first job when you are a teenager! Flexible Hours!
Fun and Productive work place
cashier (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIDecember 4, 2015
It's honestly a great place to work, especially for a first job. The managers are cool and helpful, as well as understanding. The workers were very friendly and you can depend on them for anything. Not only that you get great benefits. Overall it's a great experience, unfortunately I couldn't stay because of personal issues.
Pros
Movie passes, supportive co-workers and managers, Fun work environment
Cons
Angry customers, long hours
Glorified Slave Labor
Concession Vender (Former Employee) –  Somewhere in IllinoisOctober 4, 2015
As a few others have said, this job is simply not worth minimum wage. New workers almost always begin by working in concessions (vending) and must deal with never ending lines filled with very rude and impatient customers all the while taking heat from other employees. At the Marcus where I worked, I had to minimally work concessions for two solid months before even being considered elsewhere. For the payment of minimum wage, this job is nothing more than glorified slave labor.

As for management goes, that's a whole other subject. On my first day of the job they did not believe I was an employee (mind you, I was in the work clothes and all). The place was filled with too many managers that were severely disorganized.

God bless if you like this job and take my review with a grain of salt, it could have been a very bad month at the Marcus Theater nearest to me. Other places do not always follow in bad pursuit, so I say give it a shot, but if any of what I said relates to what you begin to go through, then most certainly take your self-worth and work elsewhere.

OH, last bit of cents, the benefits were not special to me. I do not watch movies (its been at least 2-3 years since I've watched any; I am a very weird guy, I know). So the benefits I left as a mutual rating, since I cannot deduct points for a benefit that does not work for my preference.
Pros
Customers were put first.
Cons
No breaks, disorganized management and too intense for minimum wage.
Great Job for Young Indivuals
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago HeightsSeptember 23, 2015
A great place to start your work career and learn about the work enviorment to gain experience. Very difficult to make a living on the earnings from this job but for college and high school students its perfect
Usher/ Concession attendant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WiJuly 27, 2015
I learned how to operate a cash register while at the theater. The management is very considerate when you you have a problem. The co-workers very easy to work with and understanding.
Pros
Free movies, and the co-workers are awesome.
Cons
It gets pretty warm in the building, and some customers are not the friendliest.
Great benefits but not worth it
Concessions (Former Employee) –  SouthPointe cinema Lincoln NebraskaJuly 24, 2015
I was treated like trash by the customers and by management. The co-workers were all a bunch of weirdos and you start off at the hardest job (concessions). If you work there for a year + you could be moved to box office where you get paid more for doing a he'll of a lot less. You get no official breaks or lunch. And if it's busy you don't even get a non official one.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Everything else
Productive and fun place with Movies
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Addison, ILMay 31, 2015
I work hard and give a 110% I have learned time management and being efficient. I work with amazing and fun people. I work very well with them. There is no real hard part of the job, every shift working is a new adventure. The most enjoyable part is working in a fun environment and meeting new people.
Team oriented fast paced
Vendor (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILMay 20, 2015
Typical work day was very fast paced dealing with alot of customers and rarely a dull moment. I learned the equipment and products and excellent communication skills. The most enjoyable part was the close team environment and working with customers.
Pros
Team oriented
Good Job
Cashier/Usher/Concessions (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDMarch 25, 2015
They are good at training their employees. There is a fun and familiar surroundings with the people you work with. They give you recognition when it's deserved.
Very fun busy work place
Vending (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIMarch 2, 2015
I loved working here. This was the best job I had. The people were great. I loved the customers overall a great work place. Not to mention the free movies, soda and popcorn.
Pros
free movies, soda, and popcorn
Cons
loved everything about this job
Good benefits and great co-works. Bad Management!
Concessions (Former Employee) –  Lincoln,NeFebruary 17, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of being on a register, stocking candy and everything that needed to be stocked, prepping for the next day (making pretzel bite tray, mini donuts, etc), and opening/closing. I improved on my customer service skills, and loved my co-workers. The management wasn't the best. The head manager took our break room and turned it into her office. Which lead to no place to take dinners/breaks at times when the table and chair she put in the back room wasn't there. We had to go change into our uniforms in the public restrooms which was embarrassing. My first week I started I worked a 9 hour shift, and an 11 hour shift and didn't get a dinner break. My co-workers were good workers, and had great attitudes.
Pros
free movies! dollar passes.
Cons
no break room. no place to change but public restroom. no breaks at times.
fun, busy, free movies and popcorn
Cashier, Vendor, Usher (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 8, 2015
A typical day consist of getting customers their ticket stubs or popcorn.
The hardest part was cleaning the whole concession stand at the end of the night.
Extremely fun, family environment.
Shift Lead / Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  ShakopeeDecember 5, 2014
This was my first place of employment, I absolutely LOVE working here. I cannot seem to bring myself to leave completely. I continue to pick up shift whenever I can.

The reasons to love it:
The environment is just like a big family, I love the people I work with, the job is fun and so are the people you work with, the customers can be frustrating, but overall are great people to serve.

The reasons to hate it:
Only one reason and its big. Six years of service and I still make minimum wage. $8.00/hour
Laid back, fun place to work
Floor Staff (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, MNMay 31, 2014
At times, the position I was in would get moved around, which I didn't mind. I learned a lot about time management and customer service, happy and upset customers have come to me and I have learned how to handle these situations in a mature, friendly manner. I really liked a lot of the managers, although there was some favoritism. Most of my coworkers are wonderful and I've met some amazing people. The hardest part of the job was being understaffed and having shows sell out. It was very stressful and difficult to stay on top of things, and the pay was not worth the amount of stress work caused sometimes. The most enjoyable part of the job was the amazing people I was able to meet.
Fun work environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Rosemount, MNMay 20, 2014
Typical week for me was preparing and getting everything ready for the weekend rush for the new movie releases. From ordering, scheduling, resolving any internal conflict.
During the weekend I was on the floor more helping and servicing guests and making sure everything ran smoothly to avoid any customer service issues.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 14, 2014
Able to advance from Concession Attendant to General Manager during my 13 years with the company. Currently, I'm responsible for a building with 19 screens, full bar, and full service restaurant in 3 of our auditoriums. I oversee a management team of 8, as well as a staff of 110, including concession attendants, ushers, box office attendants, bartenders, servers, and cooks. I manage hiring, training, paperwork, coaching, ordering, budgeting, financial planning, and inventory procedures. My typical day could include all of those things, or only one or two. The most enjoyable part of my job is the coaching, and growing of my staff, but also, I truly enjoy organizing and completing projects. I strive at communication, and organization, as well as working with others.