Marcus Theatres Employee Reviews

Fun work place
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIApril 17, 2017
I work nights 3rd shift with a cleaning crew we make sure everything clean before opening time.. the hardest is when they open early at 6am and we have to rush to get done.
Pros
Free sofa
Cons
Short breaks
Co workers
Server (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 8, 2017
Fun work environment and great co workers that know when appropriate times are to work and have down time. Get the job done as requested in a timely and efficient manner.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Testy management
Fun workplace but little room for advancement or raises.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIApril 5, 2017
The job is very good for someone in high school who has never had a job before. It is also a positive experience for college students as well since the company does well to accommodate time constraints between classes and such. The bad side is that there is little room for advancement in the company unless you plan to say there for a long time at very little pay.
Was alright place to work until Marcus took over.
employee (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 5, 2017
We were another theater chain until Marcus took us over. My true reason for leaving was pay was horrible. Home office couldn't communicate with the theater management. The one thing that held me there for so long was the team worked great together and had a bond like no other. The entire team felt the same as I and we all knew it was time to seek other options. Hardest part of the job was how things were handled. Most enjoyable part was other employees and the bonds we made, also the repeat customers that could make you smile and gotten to know over the years.
Pros
employees and customers
Cons
lack of communication and lack of pay for work put in.
Always expanding
Concessions, Box Office Attendant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 28, 2017
Work was always busy so you were never bored
I learned that there are some customers that can be not very friendly and that I should not always take it personally.
Management were always working hard to make sure the guests were satisfied.
Pros
Free movies
Marcus Theatre Job Review
Assistant Manager/Brand Builder (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILMarch 16, 2017
I learned a lot about life and customer service during my time at Marcus. You come in contact with people from all walks of life at a movie theatre. The customers can be a handful so it definitely taught me a lot about how to treat future guests.
Pros
Free movies, flexible hours
Comes with a good set of employee benefits.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Delafield, WIFebruary 19, 2017
My favorite part about working for Marcus Theatres is that employees get to enjoy free movies, and learning behind the scenes work is incredible.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 7, 2017
Friendly associates and good leadership. Great perks and benefits to working here. There are events every month for associates to participate in and make the atmosphere fun and enjoyable for all.
Fast paced at times but extremely fun place to work.
Theater Associate (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, NEJanuary 28, 2017
While the venue of my careers vary, my personality, skill sets, education and work experience have been a positive impact to the department and the body of customers internally and externally that I communicate(d) with.
Good Job, Bad Pay
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WI 54311January 21, 2017
Been working with Marcus for 4 years and the only big complaint I have is the pay. Until I became a manager I was making under 8 dollars for 3 years, and even as a manager still the pay isnt very rewarding.
Mentality was lacking in willingness to work
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 16, 2017
Worked multiple positions. Same pay for all positions and paid the same as those who only do the bare minimum while you bust your butt to get things done. Management undermined decisions made by general manager sending mixed messages to staff.
Ok
Theatre associate / Trainer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 16, 2017
Mangers are cool and helpful for the most part. Theatre tends to be understaffed and employees get over worked all due to poor scheduling.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
The work is not worth the low pay
What Marcus taught me.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, ILJanuary 11, 2017
Working at Marcus taught me how to be patient with workers as well as customers. Salaried management is quite lazy only way to advance is to schmooze.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Hard works means nothing to advance.
Free Movies!
Associate (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 10, 2017
There was definitely ups and downs of working at this job. It was fun working at the movie theatre. I loved seeing free movies and working with co-workers who became some of my best friends. They went through a lot of managers and assistant managers. Some of them great and some of them not so great. As time went on management got a lot tougher on employees. This wasn't necessary. I completely understand that management needed to follow the corporate rules, but there is a line and it was crossed at times. There was a lot of unnecessary drama and it would have been much more pleasant to be working around co-workers who were having fun and trying their best to keep a positive attitude. The hardest part of the job was having customers get upset or complain due to corporates policies and tough restrictions. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the free movies and the great people I met there.
Meh its ok for a very short time
Associate (Vendor) (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIJanuary 9, 2017
I must say that it is one bad job. I really liked it there because of all of the coworkers making it a fun time. Everyone was like family and I was glad to be apart of it. Managers were fun but a few were mean and rude. Also management likes to pick favorites. Favoritism is bad there. Tuesdays are awful for all employees there because its $5 movies for the whole day. Usually the customers on Tuesdays are rude and complain all the time. The vending stand was always overloaded with people in your face when you mess up even a little. The pay wasn't the best at all and they barely gave raises. Scheduling was awful, because even when you ask off they schedule you. Also the hours are terrible. Everyday you worked up to 9 or 10 hours a day with no breaks at all. I remember nights when I worked from 5pm until close. And close was when the vending stand was completely clean. And sometimes that was about 2am. And management would make you work again in the early morning after a 2am closing. Overall, its a good starting job, but after a few months you might want to leave like I did. Its ridiculous there.
Pros
Free movies, popcorn, soda
Cons
Customers, low pay, hardly give breaks
This shouldn't be anyone's top choice
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILDecember 6, 2016
The Food & Beverage manager here is two-faced and will throw any of her employees under the bus to save her own skin. The general manager and assistant managers are all pretty nice. The job itself is way more complicated than it needs to be, and I have never seen a more wasteful company. Micromanagement at its peak, and due to the fact that you have to claim 100% of your tips, you lose half of your less-than-minimum-wage paycheck to taxes. Working here was a huge mistake.
Pros
Free movies (sometimes)
Cons
Food and Beverage Manager, stupid rules, wastefulness
Easy work, great customers
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILDecember 2, 2016
This job was easy but like most places the management team was unorganized, at times unprofessional and disrespectful. I was working there for almost 2 years and never got a raise or a review.
Not a good place at all
Usher/Concessions (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WINovember 30, 2016
this job is simply put bad it sucks they don't make your job any easier
and they don't care about thier employees unless your popular and hard work doesn't sell to them you get hardly any breaks if you could even muster any time to ask for one with so many customers in your face the management team works when they feel like it does a half bit job gives rules but don't follow any themselves completely disorganized could care less about your problems or any concerns you have as an employee. its like seriously once you put this uniform on you are a non human entity a robot if you will, everything is process this process that its terrible and whats truly disgusting is the fact that you'll be struggling with everything going on needing a manager for help and they'll be in the office just chilling having parties and what not. their be days where they would only one schedule one person per department on extremely busy days like Tuesday or Saturday night and not even opt to help especially for ushers with dirty theaters it was and is truly disgusting and the pay is barely manageable even if you've been working there for at least 5 years or even 10 months i just tried to come in and the do job with little help that i got.
Cons
almost no breaks, no human treatment, poorly non caring management, hardly can take off days, even if you do it in advance they still schedule you
Awful Place to be employed at
Server (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, NENovember 16, 2016
Besides the benefits this job could care less about your life outside of work. There was 1 time I tried to call out of work due to the fact my child was throwing up and they wouldn't let me without finding someone else to cover for me which I can understand but everyone else server wise was already scheduled to work on that same exact so as to why they needed 7 servers was a tad bit frustrating when they ended up sending everyone by 8 pm and I got stuck there until midnight... Management is very poor when it comes to scheduling on days we are busy we are always short staffed and on days we weren't busy we had an over abundance of people. So either A you are making very little money due to the fact 2 many people are scheduled or B you arent getting paid at all because they have a tendency to send people home early. The other thing that bothered me is that they would allow other co-workers of mine to call out over simple things such as having a headache and not have someone cover for them. Also the employees on the bistro side of things are very sketchy and aren't willing to help you in your time of need. I covered for lord knows how many people and they never offered to cover for me. I know this review is mainly ranting but I figured I would give you guys an honest review of the company by a few examples of times I have been there. Also the pay is very terrible servers only get paid 3.50 an hour on a good day you are walking out with maybe 40$ after working a 8 hour shift. Honestly not worth it even with the free movies it still makes the job not worth going to. They ask alot  more... from you.  less
Pros
free movies
Cons
lack of a good managing team, over scheduling, little pay, stressful
Coporate blahblahblah
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 15, 2016
The management team was never around to lead or ask questions. The staff on hand at the time was very well put together and could solve whatever problems occurred

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marcus Theatres. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval