Mariano's Fresh Market Employee Reviews in United States

making people happy with there bakery goods
bakery clerck (Former Employee) –  Lake Zurich, ILJuly 26, 2016
I can do most of all jobs in bakery so they would be able to move me in any direction needed. breakout and setting up for the morning shift. I was able to learn more about selling and helping people on items they would need for their party and more. management for the most part was great. the hardest part was not being able to grow with the company.
Pros
seeing how happy you made somebody
Cons
not beenin able to grow
Enjoyable and job learning experience.
Salad bar Prep/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2016
On a typical day at Marianos I start at 130pm-11pm. I learned how to prep salads and also fruit salads/ salad bars. Management was ok not really on the scene to much. My co-workers were awesome great people to keep in touch with. The hardest part of the job was working in the freezer area. The most enjoyable par of the job was hearing customers tell me how much they love my work.
Pros
Best part of the job was celebrating the different holidays
Cons
Did not enjoy working in the freezer at all.
Good for a short term job
Senior Logistics Grocery/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2016
Management confuses good work ethic and abuses and takes advantage of that, will over load you with work if you show good work ethic without extra compensation.
Very busy work place, met many good people
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2016
The work is busy and fast paced. I learned a great amount of knowledge regarding the food service industry. The fast pace of the work allowed me to learn quickly and perfect my skills at preparing the food necessary to improve the service with in the department I worked in. I worked in the hot foods department of the store. I met many nice people. The work environment was friendly and pleasing.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
To much turnover in employees, a shift is many times short handed because of employees not showing for work.
Great Company to work for - enjoys their employees and their hard work.
Front End Lead/2 (Current Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILJuly 11, 2016
Working in the Customer Service are I'm always exposed to our customers and their moments. Some good, some not good - remembering Mr. Mariano's way - our customers will always be number one - but I have always treated people like I want to be treated - so it comes very easy to me. A smile goes a long way. I have a great upper management and field team. Working with the young front end associates remind me that there is still good in the youth and much yet to be done. I only wish that I could make each and every customer one hundred percent satisfied - however that is truly out of my control and I understand that and I'm ok with that.
Pros
Being part of a team
Cons
Not always being able to help out the customer
Wonderful Place to Work
Smoothie Maker (Current Employee) –  Westmont, ILJuly 6, 2016
This company has to be one of my favorite places to work. The customers are all polite, everyone is wonderful and the enviorment is fantastic.
Pros
Union, co-workers, customers
Cons
Fast paced
Fun, Friendly, Honesty
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJuly 4, 2016
Mariano's first focus is to give great customer service to co-workers and customers. Greet everyone with hello and a smile.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILJune 29, 2016
Everyday is a new day with great challenges. Always learning new things. Co-workers are great. Employers care about their employees. Can level up to a different position fairly quick. Different opportunities in the work place.
Pros
Weekly pay
very serious
Guest Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2016
they were rude to their workers, and you couldn't even get to know your boss because they never really communicate with you on a regular.
a fun place to advance your career
Floral Manager (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJune 25, 2016
I enjoy the floral department and helping customers create beautiful arrangements for occasions such as anniversaries parties showers and weddings.
fast pasted
Baker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2016
work night was baking bread, pastries and bagels. Management was unprofessional at times. The hardest part of my job was not having what I needed to complete my job.most enjoyable was the finished product and the smiles on customers faces.
Do yourself a favor and just don't apply, please.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILJune 16, 2016
I opened with the Oak Lawn store as a first job. I saw it as an opportunity to gain experience for a future job. August 2016 will be my second year working for Mariano's. A typical work day: I will punch in, help customers, do my job to the best of my abilities with a smile on my face. Very often I am asked to do much more than I am being paid, and I will always be underappreciated. I have no choice but to tolerate terrible managers and some of the most unpleasant customers I've ever encountered.

The managers at this location are jokes, they do not know what they are doing and have been in no way properly trained. Favoritism in Mariano's is rampant and will be the deciding factor for who gets to "level up" in the company, meaning there is minimal room to grow here. The store director is by far the most incompetent individual I have seen, this individual is unable to even operate a cash register while their bagging skills are also lacking.

Here at Mariano's you will be used and abused. They will squeeze every hour that they can get out of you. They will throw you from department to department because they're short EVERYWHERE. Possibly the worst turnover rate. Nobody lasts anymore, nobody wants to stay. No matter how well you do, you will not be recognized. But they will be more than happy to write you up and/or suspend you for any possible reason.

However, your co-workers are there for you, I have made many friends. They are the only reason I would have regret not working at Mariano's, they are also the only reason I'm still here. The hardest part of this job would
  more... be dealing with horrible customers. My co-workers and I have been called any and every bad name. If you can't handle being openly harassed in front of others I advise that you move on.  less
Pros
10% discount throughout store. Potential friends.
Cons
Turnover rate. Short, strict breaks. Old, worn equipment. Management.
Productive workplace
General Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 14, 2016
Days go by fast because it is usually busy but that is a great thing. Learned a lot about customer service from working here. management is good. Only thing I disliked was that breaks were only for 15 minutes. Other then that its a nice place to work if you like interacting with people and helping them.
Pros
Beautiful store
Cons
short breaks
This place is HORRIBLE!!!!!!
Level 3 cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 14, 2016
There is no organization or customer service at all. The employees are rude, the managers are rude and don't handle any of the issues that arise between the employees.There is more work to do than you are paid for.
Pros
there are none
fun place
Produce Lead (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 13, 2016
Good company to work for if you love working with people. Management that i worked with very friendly and easy to talk to. Co-workers for the most part is good, of course you will run into negative people but thats life.
Mariano's is a great first job
Lot Captain/Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJune 12, 2016
Working at Marianos is not really a great job, however if all your looking for is to pick up a few extra hours each week, or a first time job, its great.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Short Breaks, low wages
Fun Place to work for part time hours
Cashier/ Bartender (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 12, 2016
I'm a floater I can be a cashier one day and a bartender the next. I love my job. I have a high customer surveys compliments. I have customers that come to just see me. I enjoy the freedom and the customer service there. The job is not just customer service it's about the customers experience and I feel that I do a great job in providing that.
Pros
Fast paste, fun, cool management
Cons
short breaks, part time
It is a great place to work at. I enjoy the co-worker I have and the customers are very nice.
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJune 6, 2016
I do like working at Mariano's, but I wish the pay was higher. There is a lot expected of you and it's hard to watch others not do their fair share.
Good Company to work for.
Retail Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILJune 4, 2016
Smooth morning , love setting up cases. its great to hear my customers comment on how my case looks great and fish looks fresh
Pros
Good health/dental/vision insurance
Cons
Short staffed
productive and fun place to work at
Cheese and Charcuterie Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 3, 2016
marianos is a wonder place to work it fun and light going the customers are great. the co-workers and management teams are great.
Pros
discount
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mariano's Fresh Market. Our community is ready to answer.