Mariano's

Mariano's Employee Reviews

Productive Place To Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 20, 2015
Pros: Everyone Is friendly and willing to help
Cons: Short Breaks
A typical day at Jewel Osco would be to come in and clock in and the manager assigns you a registers to be either the cashier or the bagger. Then after a couples of hours go by you get a 15 minute break, which is really quick. Then after you come back from break you continue your job the manager assigned you until its for you to clock out.
Ok place to work
Cashier (Current Employee), Evergreen Park, IlJune 17, 2015
Working at Mariano's is an ok place to work! My co-workers are probably the only good thing about working there. A typical day at work is sometimes busy, sometimes slow.
productive and fun work place
Dishwasher (Former Employee), ChicagoJune 13, 2015
Pros: good environment
Cons: hours
Washing dishes was a fast pace job so you had to keep up at first it was hard till you catch on then you improve your load and then you can keep up.
Nice place
Deli Level 2 (Current Employee), Evergreen Park, ILJune 12, 2015
Mariano's is full of awesome coworkers. Management is pretty good but some people need some work. The hardest part is the random days and hours every week. The best part of the job is that my coworkers are great.
Typical issues like employees not getting hours .
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Westchester, ILJune 10, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: No hours
It was just regular 9 to 5 in and out everyone was on the same level with that. I did pick up experience in communication with costumers as a cashier and bagger. I was in the Deli department before I left so i have a lot of experience in meat cutting, dish washing, organization, etc.
Corporate Structured Fresh Market
Level 4 Chef (Former Employee), Hoffman Estates, ILJune 6, 2015
Was in charge of hot foods. Daily preparation, stocking, sanitation, manage all employees, ordering, inventory and all shifts and stations covered.
Dazed and Confused
Cake Decorator (Current Employee), Buffalo Grove, ILJune 6, 2015
My location seems to have a difficult time hiring and keeping employees. Staff is never replaced when people quit.
We will go several months at a time with no HR staff member at all. We are kept understaffed at all times so that there is no possibility at all to take time to train and advance. In the bakery there is frequently only one employee present for hours at a time.

Upper management is frequently cashiering instead of hiring cashiers. Management is routinely transferred to different store locations like a game of musical chairs. We've had 3 different store directors in a 1 year period and countless other managers have come and gone.
Potential employees will arrive for their scheduled interview only to find that there is no availale manager to give the interview.
The remaining staff is not allowed by corporate to stay for overtime, leaving pockets of time when there are 0 employees in my department. The skeleton crew remaining is severely overworked with no sign of future relief.

This company started off seemingly well intended, but has become lost.
Terrible Leadership
PRICING COORDINATOR (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 3, 2015
Management is terrible. Management does not know how to communicate with their employees without judgment or aggressiveness. Does not hire within nor do they stick to the promise of leveling their employee's up for higher potions.
Very stiff environment. Not at all friendly.
Cashier (Current Employee), Chicago, IL.May 30, 2015
Pros: No travelling time. Close to the CTA. Customers are nicer here than at the NWS store.
Cons: Employees spread 100% lies about each other and when Mgt. is told, don't do anything about it.
Employees are not friendly, you have to ask multiple times for something, remind them for your breaks if it gets late, store director doesn't do anything, just walks around. No help at the registers from him or bagging, they don't go the extra mile. It's just a job. Low pay, no room for advancement, if you try, they tell you, " We have no openings", when the position is clearly on the website. Been at multiple stores. This one is the worst. First one on the NW side was fabulous. A team effort. Everyone looked out for everyone, personally and professionally.
Friendly Environment
Cashier- Level (Current Employee), Lake Zurich, ILMay 29, 2015
A typical work day is busy! I am always interacting with somebody. I learned a lot about interacting with people that are different than me. The management has been nothing but helpful and friendly; it is as if I've known them for a long time. The same can be said for my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was learning something new and the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with people!
There is no typical day at Mariano's!
Dietitian (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 29, 2015
Pros: Customers and Employees
Cons: Need more dietitians
Customers and groups contact me directly wanting to make healthy changes to their lifestyles. I respond by demonstrating easy cooking techniques and recipes, and "edible excursions" through the Mariano's store closest to them.

I have learned those wanting to make healthy changes in their lives are not the "squeaky wheel". If these choices are made available to them, they will make changes. Over the past five years, I have witnessed individuals drastically change diet and lifestyle simply because they knew I was there, they talked to me once, or they were part of a program I provided.

With 30 stores, and much traveling, Mariano's employees are eager to help dietitians working in the supermarket. Most employees take pride having a dietitian working for their supermarket, and will refer groups and customers to me. I depend on them and have never been disappointed, they are a great group of people, both managers and employees.

It's difficult to fit everyone in my schedule, and that can sometimes be overwhelming. I know I'm successful by taking a look at the number of people reached and their response to me, and that exhausting week becomes the most rewarding.
Overall decent workplace
overnight produce cloer (Current Employee), elston ave, chicago, ilMay 28, 2015
Pros: left all alone, know what to do, friendly people
Cons: lack of management education, management clout, bad pay
While I love my job very much, all heavy lifting, no one looking over my shoulder, and total control of organization in my department, this Company has a very high turn over rate. Also, very poor compensation. I work 5 days in a row, with the last two preparing for Saturday and Sunday grocery shoppers, and by this point I can barely move, and then compensated $200 on average a week. I appreciate the general idea of my job and the workplace, however, management is terrible, no advancement, to get a raise you must pass intensive training- a lot of which is hands-on and isn't available during my schedule and the rest is not relevant to my job.
its a ok place
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 19, 2015
don't care for this place, no hours, management didn't know how to run a team checks keep coming up short. a day at work was quiet slow, I did learn nothing that I didn't already know, no hard parts to this job most enjoyable part going home
Great first real job
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 17, 2015
Very professional! Deff puts the standard for best shopping experience. Great customers and fun if you make it! Tough at times but great benefits.
Not your average grocery store
Cashier (Current Employee), Aurora, ILMay 15, 2015
Very nice facility, they truly have everything. The customers are great, everyone is always in a good mood. They are pretty flexible for hours, and upper management is great.
Decent entry level job
Coffee/Juice-Bar Lead Level (Current Employee), Ravenswood, ILMay 9, 2015
Pros: Experience in many areas due to the variety in departments
Cons: Management belittles employees
The company is a good start for beginners, with their variety in departments you can learn many skills very quickly that will be a good transition into other jobs. But management has a bad habit of hinder progression of an individual based on the store/company needs.
Great Enviorment with Great Employees
Overnight Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 27, 2015
Pros: working overnight
Cons: no breaks, salaried pay and working hours past the scheduled shift
The job overall is satisfying, however the upper management is difficult to work for at times. The employees are awesome, though there are some very difficult ones under my supervision. A typical work day is 10 hours of non stop physical labor. Breaking down grocery pallets, stocking shelves, facing the store, cleaning up the sales floor, organizing the backroom, then writing orders.
The hardest part of the job is motivating people who aren't motivated to work and to train and develop people who do not meet expectations. The hard part comes in when I have to terminate employees who just don't perform up to our expectations.
Stay Away
Overnight Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, IlApril 22, 2015
If you're looking for a short term summer job then I would say this would be the place to work. If you're looking for somewhere serious than this is not it. This place starts off ok with a lot a promises but they never deliver. Management is horrible. The work environment is disgusting. Just do yourself a favor & save the headache
Productive, Fun workplace
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 22, 2015
Pros: the store would give us free food from time to time.
Cons: Management
Nice grocery store great Atmosphere for people to work, people were friendly everyone did their job first and made sure it was done well the quality was great. But the overnight supervisors was not so good and at one point our overnight team was getting shorter and shorter most people didn't make it to their 90 days and others just quit cause of bad management. I learned a lot while I was at the store lot of valuable information my co workers well some of them was very helpful while others was lazy only concerned about themselves and what they wanted but for the most part it was some great people to work with.
Management will lie and lie to you
Deli (Current Employee), Glenview, ILApril 6, 2015
Pros: You can get into a union after 90 days if you like unions
Cons: No breaks, horrible leads and managers who lie to you.
You will NEVER get raises no full-time. If you bug them, they will cut your hours. If you report someone not doing their job or being dangerous on the job, especially if they are a lead, you will get your hours cut or removed. The managers will lie about you to deny your promotion or raise. You can work your butt off and you will NEVER see any rewards. It's just like a hamster running in a spinning wheel. Going full tilt and going no where.

1 2 3 4