Mariano's Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Coworkers are always a plus here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILSeptember 20, 2017
My management at both locations was horrendous. One .40 cent raise in the 3 years I was there no matter how hard I worked. Always asked you to stay and work longer hours, without a simple thank you.
You stayed to help the craziness, while the mangers were walking out the door and blaming you for the chaos.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
everything
Great opportunity to experience working with all types of managers
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILSeptember 18, 2017
This is a big and still growing company. Such a big store makes room for meeting and working alongside all kinds of workers and managers; both exceptional and horrible.
Good place to work with awesome coworkers but not so great management.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Glenview, ILSeptember 18, 2017
As a Produce Clerk I can say that I not only learned to store, display and pick the fresh produce, but also developed my communication and customer service skills. I would usually work morning shift where I had to restock, clean and get the floor ready for a new day. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with customers. I was privileged to have amazing coworkers which made my job so much easier. The hardest part would probably have to be the quick pace and many times the shortage of workers in our department which made our busiest day be even more of a challenge.
Pros
Awesome coworkers, flexible schedule
Cons
Shortage of staff
Typical Day
Meat Clerk/Griller (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 16, 2017
Come in prepped grill,and prepared desired orders,as far as chicken,steaks,seafood,burgers.Stocked case ready meats and stocked and completed inventory
Very productive!
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILApril 11, 2016
Good entry level place to work. Friendly environment with great team members. Management changes so frequently that it's hard to rate it. Turnover is very high. Worked with really great people overall!
Pros
Great team members
Cons
Very short breaks, no help with advancement
Tons of growth and fast-paced
Level 3 Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 5, 2016
Pretty good place to get a good start with lots of opportunity to grow and expand. Worked overnight and didn't like it that much .
It was a Exciting & Fufilling work experience.
Smoothie Bar & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2016
Courteously greeted customers
Provided superior customer service at all time
Took orders and also made it.
Rung up customers for their purchase.
Mariano's
Cashier/Bagger (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILMarch 31, 2016
Get to work and clock in
Go to wherever managers put me and check out customers.
Bag items
Handle cash
Little cleaning

Learned how to handle money and a lot about myself
Management never worked around my schedule even though I have another job to accommodate to. They were always very rude and had they're favorites. Co-workers were good and some were rude. Nothing was really hard. I enjoyed meeting new people.
Pros
Making new friends
Cons
No discount or respect
Nice Environment
Barista, The Vero (Former Employee) –  Evergreen Park, ILMarch 21, 2016
Working at Mariano's for a year was a very fun experience for me. The management works well with your availability. The management was very sarcastic and rude the whole time I was there, and the only cool/nice manager left us for the Oak Lawn Mariano's. The job was pretty easy overall and the best part was working with the kids. When the kids and parents came to get gelato and they tried it for the first time, their smiles made my day.
Pros
Pay
i enjoyed working here
Grocery Stocker Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2016
i like the place it was really nice, sick days and personal days also vacation even at part time. management was a little shady sometimes but he pay was really nice
Great
Salad Bar Clerk (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, IL 60126February 20, 2016
It was a great place to work at good people there. They had a very good work team and good bosses. They was very driven to the customer and gave great service.
Customer Service
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2016
I Was A Cashier I Loved Working There. I Never Had No Problems. I Loved My Coworkers. Everyone Would Get Along With Everyone. Would Always Work As A Team.
Pros
Management is Great.
Cons
N/a
bad experiences
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILFebruary 8, 2016
the job was great with the customers but with the management it was terrible always try to belittle you and talk to you as if your a child
I enjoy my job, however I'm looking for a full-time position. My previous jobs have been mainly office work or working with students. I'm looking forw
Front End Lead Cashier - Part-Time (Current Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILFebruary 6, 2016
I report to work daily on time. I clean my work area and set-up the materials I need to work with. I enjoy greeting the customers and ringing up there purchases. I receive daily surveys from customers with great feedback. My managers always compliment me on my performance. I work well with my co-workers showing leadership. The hardest part of my job is having to go home with not enough hours worked, due to slow sales. The most enjoyable part of my job is doing a great job and keeping the customers happy.
Pros
Mariano's gives there employees a 10% discount.
Cons
Poor Health Care benefits.
Fast paced and exciting work place.
Meat and Seafood Manager (Current Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILJanuary 29, 2016
As an hourly employee I enjoyed working in the stores. They are very customer oriented. They like to bring new and creative things to the whole shopping experience. They provide great benefits for their employees, and there is always room to grow. As a salaried employee, there is too much demand placed on you. There is not a good work/life balance and it is difficult to enjoy my work experience,

A typical day starts at 5am and begins with straightening up and culling my department. Then I break down and put away loads and deliveries. After that I place the orders for the next day. Production then begins and continues through most of the day. Finally, any paperwork, training, organizational task are completed. I generally leave between 4 and 5 pm.

While I enjoy keeping busy, I do not like being overworked. I have a great team that works well each other and they make it worth coming to work.
Pros
Good benefits and salary. Industry leading employee discount
Cons
Short staffed company wide, leading to a lot of demands on employees.
Positive atmosphere to work for and shop in
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILJanuary 27, 2016
Always relaxing and enjoyable shopping at marianos.
Great employees, super friendly, and always helping the customer as much as possible.
My first Managerial Position, with Bookkeeping and Customer Service Experience
Bookkeeper/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILJanuary 25, 2016
I would open the store by putting all the cash in tills. I delegated jobs to employees upon their arrival and throughout their work day. I filed several reports to Accounting Department throughout the day, handled all cash, and worked behind Customer Service Desk.
Pros
I was promoted twice while employed there, and continually recognized for my outstanding customer service.
Cons
There were short breaks and bad hours, no social life.
Productive and exiting work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILJanuary 25, 2016
I love the customers and the people I work with. The customers are alwys nice and appreciate me for being a great employee.
Fun and Easy Going Enviournment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Evergreen Park, ILJanuary 15, 2016
I really enjoyed working here. The management was awesome and so were my teammates we were a big family. The work was very easy and the customers were great.
Fast pace exciting work place including high amount of customer satisfaction.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, ILJanuary 11, 2016
The daily routine at Mariano's was to enter work in required daily uniform. I was to report to the supervisor for the day in order to report to daily job duties that include ringing the registers at front end, bagging groceries, and providing great customer service in the hot foods cafe. I have worked in many types of different job setting, mostly in department stores and cosmetics. The major difference with my position at Mariano's was the food/ grocery environment. I enjoyed my position as a cashier. It allowed me to become really enthusiastic and rewarded each day I arrived at work. The customer knew me by face and I look forward to meeting new people everyday. My coworkers ranged in all ages, gender, and race. I found it enjoyable because everyone was about helping each other. I am so accustomed to working with the public, I didn't find there to become any challenges in my position as cashier. Even the most unpleasant customers left with a smile when approaching my register. The most enjoyable part of my job was that i was able to learn from the customers as I continued my duties towards making sure they had a wonderful shopping experience.
Pros
Ongoing customer contact, Fast pace, active environment, multiple skills learned daily
Cons
Only part time unless in management, limited work hours weekly