Mariano's Employee Reviews

Work closely with corporate to accurately price the merchandise in the store.
Pricing Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2015
This is an exciting work environment, The team is wonderful to work with, the company is good to work for, and the work day is exciting.
Corporate bullies.
Replenishment Manager (Former Employee), Park Ridge, ILAugust 10, 2015
Worked excessive hours (55-65 a week) when pay check only stated working 40 hours. Never had a weekend off, shoved into working on day off, and had to beg to take earned vacation.
Productive, fast paced and educational experience
Produce Attendant (Current Employee), Buffalo Grove, ILAugust 4, 2015
Pros: great educational experience
Cons: far commute, low pay
I enjoyed my summer working as a Mariano's employee. i typically spent most of the day restocking the floor and working with customers. The part I enjoyed the most about the job was my constant heavy workload and my day to day interaction with customers. The hardest part was being on my feet and doing manual labor all day which my body wasn't used to.
a nice place to work
Cashier (Current Employee), Evergreen Park, ILJuly 27, 2015
its a great environment, the hardest part of the job is being on my feet , co-workers are great, most enjoyable part of the job is helping people
You arent getting paid enough for this...
Cashier (Former Employee), Wheaton, ILJuly 27, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: short/forgotten breaks, inability to progress
Mariano's is a great place for kids to gain some work experience. But this store is only good to work at if you don't have bills to pay. The tept you by saying that you will be paid 9.50 an hour, But with all the union dues and taxes that are being taken out, you barely make mimimum wage. This company prides itself on the ability for its employees to advance within the company.. however, this is no easy task. You must gain 3 different managers approval, fill out multiple knowledge tests, and overall be willing to take a time cut in order to go anywhere. I was a cashier for 6 months, and after figuring out that they weren't going to move me up, I decided to try and transfer to another department. Because I was a good cashier, none of the managers would approve me to move to another department. They wanted to keep me at front end. After talking to every manager in the store, I finally managed to transfer to the smoothie bar. However once in smoothie, they wanted to promote me to a higher level. I filled out all the necessary paperwork and completed all the tests. The only thng i had left to do was work one shift in the salad bar. However management refused to allow me to work there because they claimed I was going over thirty hours. In fact I was only getting about 18 hours. Overall this company is hellbet on throwing up roadblocks from letting its employees move up.
Very fun place to work, co workers are great and so are the customers
Cashier (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2015
At Marianos I would typically be on the register and I would wait for a customer to come through the lane so that I would be able to assist them. If the store wasn't bust we were always instructed to clean. At Mariano's I learned that when you work hard it all pays off. The management was great, they were always concerned with their workers and wanted to make sure they were happy.
Good company to work for and nice people to work for as well
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2015
Upbeat work place with supportive management, Always making sure things are getting done when they need to be. Very supportive in the work you do and how you do it. They took the time to help you when you need help. Just not a lot hours to be giving to the workers when needed.
Avoid this place
Cashier (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Demanding management and rude customers
Its just a job. Very limited opportunities to advance. Store director is stingy when it comes to giving out the maximum amount of hours that employees can work.
I wouldn't do it again
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee), IllinoisJune 23, 2015
Pros: Easy work
Cons: Management, Hours
A typical day at work consisted of easy work with unnecessary high stress and drama. I did not learn a single thing at this job.
Management sucks, and let me tell you why:
No one seems to know what they are doing. All managers seemed to just walk around, talk, and eat without actually having work to do except know what's in what isle. Store director makes promises to help accommodate you and shortly after changes his/her mind or does not stick to their word. You have to keep badgering them and still wait for their to be a change, if you're that lucky to even get one.
Some department managers are a joke, especially my own. Favorites are definitely made and it doesn't matter what level that you are in, if you aren't the favorite for sucking up, you won't be moving up at all. It is not at all equal chance as they claim to be. Do not get me wrong, there are certainly some great department managers. It just seems as though everyone is much lazier than they should be.
I'm not exactly sure why my co-workers even exist, to be quite honest with you. Often times it would be that I would be working on my own because suddenly the few people that were working disappeared on longer breaks than permitted or walking around just because they felt like it. They were basically getting paid to stand around and look pretty.
The hardest part about this job is trying not to allow yourself to become incredibly frustrated by the lack of respect from co-workers or management, being so short staffed, or the biggest issue: hours. You'll be lucky to maintain 25 hours if you are part-time which realistically, still isn't enough unless you're making more than minimum wage.
The most enjoyable part of the job are the employees that do make the place worth working at by being genuinely great people are hard workers.
Productive Place To Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 20, 2015
Pros: Everyone Is friendly and willing to help
Cons: Short Breaks
A typical day at Jewel Osco would be to come in and clock in and the manager assigns you a registers to be either the cashier or the bagger. Then after a couples of hours go by you get a 15 minute break, which is really quick. Then after you come back from break you continue your job the manager assigned you until its for you to clock out.
Ok place to work
Cashier (Current Employee), Evergreen Park, IlJune 17, 2015
Working at Mariano's is an ok place to work! My co-workers are probably the only good thing about working there. A typical day at work is sometimes busy, sometimes slow.
productive and fun work place
Dishwasher (Former Employee), ChicagoJune 13, 2015
Pros: good environment
Cons: hours
Washing dishes was a fast pace job so you had to keep up at first it was hard till you catch on then you improve your load and then you can keep up.
Nice place
Deli Level 2 (Current Employee), Evergreen Park, ILJune 12, 2015
Mariano's is full of awesome coworkers. Management is pretty good but some people need some work. The hardest part is the random days and hours every week. The best part of the job is that my coworkers are great.
Typical issues like employees not getting hours .
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Westchester, ILJune 10, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: No hours
It was just regular 9 to 5 in and out everyone was on the same level with that. I did pick up experience in communication with costumers as a cashier and bagger. I was in the Deli department before I left so i have a lot of experience in meat cutting, dish washing, organization, etc.
Corporate Structured Fresh Market
Level 4 Chef (Former Employee), Hoffman Estates, ILJune 6, 2015
Was in charge of hot foods. Daily preparation, stocking, sanitation, manage all employees, ordering, inventory and all shifts and stations covered.
Dazed and Confused
Cake Decorator (Current Employee), Buffalo Grove, ILJune 6, 2015
My location seems to have a difficult time hiring and keeping employees. Staff is never replaced when people quit.
We will go several months at a time with no HR staff member at all. We are kept understaffed at all times so that there is no possibility at all to take time to train and advance. In the bakery there is frequently only one employee present for hours at a time.

Upper management is frequently cashiering instead of hiring cashiers. Management is routinely transferred to different store locations like a game of musical chairs. We've had 3 different store directors in a 1 year period and countless other managers have come and gone.
Potential employees will arrive for their scheduled interview only to find that there is no availale manager to give the interview.
The remaining staff is not allowed by corporate to stay for overtime, leaving pockets of time when there are 0 employees in my department. The skeleton crew remaining is severely overworked with no sign of future relief.

This company started off seemingly well intended, but has become lost.
Terrible Leadership
PRICING COORDINATOR (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 3, 2015
Management is terrible. Management does not know how to communicate with their employees without judgment or aggressiveness. Does not hire within nor do they stick to the promise of leveling their employee's up for higher potions.
Very stiff environment. Not at all friendly.
Cashier (Current Employee), Chicago, IL.May 30, 2015
Pros: No travelling time. Close to the CTA. Customers are nicer here than at the NWS store.
Cons: Employees spread 100% lies about each other and when Mgt. is told, don't do anything about it.
Employees are not friendly, you have to ask multiple times for something, remind them for your breaks if it gets late, store director doesn't do anything, just walks around. No help at the registers from him or bagging, they don't go the extra mile. It's just a job. Low pay, no room for advancement, if you try, they tell you, " We have no openings", when the position is clearly on the website. Been at multiple stores. This one is the worst. First one on the NW side was fabulous. A team effort. Everyone looked out for everyone, personally and professionally.
Friendly Environment
Cashier- Level (Current Employee), Lake Zurich, ILMay 29, 2015
A typical work day is busy! I am always interacting with somebody. I learned a lot about interacting with people that are different than me. The management has been nothing but helpful and friendly; it is as if I've known them for a long time. The same can be said for my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was learning something new and the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with people!
There is no typical day at Mariano's!
Dietitian (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 29, 2015
Pros: Customers and Employees
Cons: Need more dietitians
Customers and groups contact me directly wanting to make healthy changes to their lifestyles. I respond by demonstrating easy cooking techniques and recipes, and "edible excursions" through the Mariano's store closest to them.

I have learned those wanting to make healthy changes in their lives are not the "squeaky wheel". If these choices are made available to them, they will make changes. Over the past five years, I have witnessed individuals drastically change diet and lifestyle simply because they knew I was there, they talked to me once, or they were part of a program I provided.

With 30 stores, and much traveling, Mariano's employees are eager to help dietitians working in the supermarket. Most employees take pride having a dietitian working for their supermarket, and will refer groups and customers to me. I depend on them and have never been disappointed, they are a great group of people, both managers and employees.

It's difficult to fit everyone in my schedule, and that can sometimes be overwhelming. I know I'm successful by taking a look at the number of people reached and their response to me, and that exhausting week becomes the most rewarding.