Maricopa Community Colleges

Maricopa Community Colleges Employer Reviews

Challenging, fullfilling work day. Teaching & Learning Opportunities
Manager, College Business Services, South Mtn CC (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 15, 2014
Pros: work environment, people, challenging variety of duties.
Cons: didn't seem to have enough time in the work day.
Review and answer voice/e-mails; review and approve purchase requisitions/orders; review quotes, bids and proposals; review budgets then prepare and enter journal entries to transfer funds; prepare, review and enter journal entries; review and approve travel requests and reimbursement requests; review and approve petty cash disbursements reports and – more... requests for reimbursement; review and approve pro-card reports; review and approve athletic department travel requests for funds and requests for reimbursement; and, review and approval of A/P aging report to ensure timely processing of requisition/PO approval and payment processing.

Supervision of Business Services Department which entailed ensuring the timely approval of processing most of the purchases of services, supplies and assets for South Mountains Community College. In addition supervise the Receiving Department to ensure that all goods and services received are accounted for, noted for damages, delivered in an efficient and timely manner to the appropriate department and contact, then entered properly into the accounting and inventory systems, which allows for accurate and timely payment or accurate returns.

Also responsible for overseeing the activities of the three offsite vendors doing business on campus - The copy center, the book store, and the cafeteria and café. Each vendor provided services and goods to the students, faculty and staff in return for space on campus. Responsible for attending annual meetings at District Office to review the vendor contracts for terms and responsibilities, along with the campus terms and responsibilities. Schedule meetings with each vendor to discuss issues, upcoming items, and financial reports.

Worked with or for many wonderful people over the years who were willing to share their knowledge, expertise and experiences regarding many differing subjects. I enjoy sharing the same with anyone I work with and I hope they shared a mutual experience. – less
Productive workplace with progressive outlook within health and wellness.
Adjunct professor 4 locations (Former Employee), ArizonaApril 10, 2014
Enjoyed being on staff, appreciated my peers, and department staff, as well as the students. Wonderful experience.
Very depressing and stressful work environment where the employees seem to be the lowest on the list of importance.
Nightly Custodian (Former Employee), Mesa, AZAugust 1, 2013
Pros: you get a paycheck
Cons: small check, no benefits, no medical, late hours, over work employees, discrimination, inconsideration for employee safety unless they are at risk and so on.
Working as a night custodian at Mesa Community College I learned that you get little respect and are treated very poorly. It was also nearly impossible to "move up" in the custodial section of the school especially because, when I was employed at least, about four years ago they stopped hiring for "permanent positions" and most employees were forced – more... to work in a "temporary position" for years and therefore were denied the benefits of the "permanents" because there was no room for progress. The "permanents" seemed to do no wrong, even if they let black mold grow in their trash can, which actually happened, and were allowed to keep their jobs when the "temps" could just leave a paperclip and be fired. It appears to be run ineffectively, especially for the employees and show plenty of discrimination. The custodial supervisors/managers seemed to put the employees in constant fear of termination regardless of their work causing a very unhappy and stressed atmosphere for their workers. I personally, had an "accident" while on the clock, and lost my unborn child. When I confronted my supervisor and asked what action to take I was informed to go back to work and get checked out on my next day off, which was not for a few more days. I had another instance where I became ill at work and it was necessary for me to go home, however, none of my supervisors/bosses were on site to relieve me when there should have been. I also had my job threatened by one of my supervisors because I preferred using a smaller, easier to manage, and more effective vacuum. I am, overall, very displeased with This employer with not only how I personally was treated, but how my fellow employees were treated as well and would not recommend this job for anyone unless it was a last resort. – less
Friendly environment with opportunities to advance knowledge.
Nursing Instructor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 20, 2012
Pros: free classes! i became a recognized painter!
Cons: i can't think of any
Great place to work Wonderful teamwork and supportive co-workers. Learning experiences were frequently offered to me.
I was a nurse instructor and I loved this job. The management and co- workers could not have been more united and more encouraging of their staff.
I enjoyed teaching students in a variety of hospitals and the schools had always arranged – more... the clinical experiences well in advance.
The hardest part of the job is when you have a student who is not up to academic standards. We all work hard to help these students but it is very hard when they fail. Fortunately this is rare because the admittance process is well adhered to.
The most enjoyable part of the job? Graduation day!
I loved working here and if my husband and I had not relocated so far away I would never have left. – less