Maricopa Community Colleges Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Great place to grow
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 6, 2017
Great place to work. Benefits are amazing and barely cost a thing, the time off is unbelievable.

Great environment to get your career going, the place is large enough with 10 colleges spread across the Phoenix metro area that there is always a job somewhere to grow into.

Management is working on a "One Maricopa" idea where all 10 colleges will be more uniform in their policies and operations, this will cut back on unecessary beauracracy.

Love the place
Pros
benefits, pay, advancement, lots of paid time off
Cons
some governmental beauracracy
Fun and energetic workplace
Lead Teacher-Gateway Community College Childcare (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 31, 2016
Through this job, I have learned to delegate responsibilities as well as how to get on a child's level. I have grown to know the development of children and how to individualize each child through different learning processes. The connections i have made with each child as well as their families will forever be with me and i loved being able to feel good about myself each and every day due to the differences i was able to make. I am very good at not letting my emotions get the best of me during a shift and knowing the boundaries between home life and work.
Pros
The differences i was making in each child's life, playing with them, making projects
Cons
Staff may not be doing their responsibilities, having to pick up their slack.
Education from the inside
Administrative Assistant / Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMay 16, 2016
This was my first experience working in an educational environment. I initially started with the Aviation department where I worked with flight and flight mechanic students and the department heads as an student worker / administrative assistant. Then I moved to the LETA (Law Enforcement Training Academy) where I had the opportunity to work with several classes of up and coming police officers. In addition to my admin work I got a chance to work with the classes in their simulations as an actor. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with both departments and the people that I worked with. I learned so much from both positions.
Pros
Diversity of work
Cons
Student jobs
Enjoy teaching
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  CGCC, PHX, EstrellaJanuary 24, 2016
Instruct student in preparation of taking PTCE. The classes are 12 weeks in length which is enough time to get to know each student and assist them in the next steps in their career.
Higher Education a great learning envronment
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 22, 2016
MCCCD has a awesome bunch of individuals throughout the organization. Their internal training is up to date and encourages long time/tenure employees i.e. leaders to look beyond themselves and help others grow with their new process of on-boarding...
Pros
Great training and learning opportunites
Cons
Not too much communication across campuses
flexible with school
RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 8, 2016
they really work around your school schedule and the advisers are very helpful. you get to learn a lot while working, fun environment
Not all departments are the same
Skill Centers (Former Employee) –  Skill CenterDecember 29, 2015
Department management is horrible. The expectations are unrealistic. There is allot of favoritism and drama. There is a big turnover and usually understaffed.
Benefits
Cons
Department Management
Msc
Cosmetology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix AZSeptember 8, 2015
I truly love my job. I just had some health issues that were life threatening and I need to get things in order.

I loved my position, just got a little stressfull with the health issues.

I was enjoying learning to create power points and doing curriculum.

I would like to go back to work for MSC, if you all will have me back.
Pros
Managment
Cons
some coworkers
Please to have work in this location. Good work
Admissions, Registration and Records Rep. (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 21, 2015
Work was a success. Learned of what needs to be completed to have proper reviews. Good and helpful co-workers. Enjoyable department everyone with positive attitude. Same info as previews review.
Pros
Great view from work place
Cons
temporary position
Great Company to work for
HR Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tempe ArizonaMay 7, 2015
Awesome benefits loved working there management could be better at some locations but overall it's good! If you're a people's person and love helping others Go For It!
Not a bad place, but too many people are stuck in their ways!
Learning Facilitator (Current Employee) –  PhoenixFebruary 27, 2015
The people are great, but are too many people who are only concerned about getting their pension....meaning, they don't want any new ideas because they just want to work long enough to get their pension.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Too much bureaucracy!
Worked as a Math Tutor for students of all Type
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Glendale, Az.January 6, 2015
A typical day included helping students and sometimes non-students with mathematics from arithmetic to calculus. Part counselor part teacher it was/is fun teaching Math and helping students get over their math anxiety, solving problems, and generally being helpful to students and teachers any way I could.

I also took work home with me, If I could not solve a problem for a student it bothered me. I would copy the problem and take it home and work it out on my whiteboard. Fun stuff- and I always came back with an answer (the right one)
Pros
I Enjoy Math, and solving Problems that stumped me for a while.
Cons
I can not pay my bills with the monetary compensation
everyday is a good day
Building Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 20, 2014
Outstanding place to work I took multiple fire extinguisher classes,osha,first aid,defensive driving,blood and safety clean up classes,confined space,door and hardware classes The hardest part of this job is cleaning up after homeless people outside to keep building looking good most enjoyable is working with the other people who work here
Pros
I more or less run this faucility
Cons
cleaning up outside
Productive workplace
Associate Instructor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 23, 2014
great place to work. great benefits, flexible work schedule.
Challenging, fullfilling work day. Teaching & Learning Opportunities
Manager, College Business Services, South Mtn CC (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 15, 2014
Review and answer voice/e-mails; review and approve purchase requisitions/orders; review quotes, bids and proposals; review budgets then prepare and enter journal entries to transfer funds; prepare, review and enter journal entries; review and approve travel requests and reimbursement requests; review and approve petty cash disbursements reports and requests for reimbursement; review and approve pro-card reports; review and approve athletic department travel requests for funds and requests for reimbursement; and, review and approval of A/P aging report to ensure timely processing of requisition/PO approval and payment processing.

Supervision of Business Services Department which entailed ensuring the timely approval of processing most of the purchases of services, supplies and assets for South Mountains Community College. In addition supervise the Receiving Department to ensure that all goods and services received are accounted for, noted for damages, delivered in an efficient and timely manner to the appropriate department and contact, then entered properly into the accounting and inventory systems, which allows for accurate and timely payment or accurate returns.

Also responsible for overseeing the activities of the three offsite vendors doing business on campus - The copy center, the book store, and the cafeteria and café. Each vendor provided services and goods to the students, faculty and staff in return for space on campus. Responsible for attending annual meetings at District Office to review the vendor contracts for terms and responsibilities, along with the
  more... campus terms and responsibilities. Schedule meetings with each vendor to discuss issues, upcoming items, and financial reports.

Worked with or for many wonderful people over the years who were willing to share their knowledge, expertise and experiences regarding many differing subjects. I enjoy sharing the same with anyone I work with and I hope they shared a mutual experience.
Pros
Work environment, people, challenging variety of duties.
Cons
Didn't seem to have enough time in the work day.
Productive workplace with progressive outlook within health and wellness.
Adjunct professor 4 locations (Former Employee) –  ArizonaApril 10, 2014
Enjoyed being on staff, appreciated my peers, and department staff, as well as the students. Wonderful experience.
Very depressing and stressful work environment where the employees seem to be the lowest on the list of importance.
Nightly Custodian (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 1, 2013
Working as a night custodian at Mesa Community College I learned that you get little respect and are treated very poorly. It was also nearly impossible to "move up" in the custodial section of the school especially because, when I was employed at least, about four years ago they stopped hiring for "permanent positions" and most employees were forced to work in a "temporary position" for years and therefore were denied the benefits of the "permanents" because there was no room for progress. The "permanents" seemed to do no wrong, even if they let black mold grow in their trash can, which actually happened, and were allowed to keep their jobs when the "temps" could just leave a paperclip and be fired. It appears to be run ineffectively, especially for the employees and show plenty of discrimination. The custodial supervisors/managers seemed to put the employees in constant fear of termination regardless of their work causing a very unhappy and stressed atmosphere for their workers. I personally, had an "accident" while on the clock, and lost my unborn child. When I confronted my supervisor and asked what action to take I was informed to go back to work and get checked out on my next day off, which was not for a few more days. I had another instance where I became ill at work and it was necessary for me to go home, however, none of my supervisors/bosses were on site to relieve me when there should have been. I also had my job threatened by one of my supervisors because I preferred using a smaller, easier to manage, and more effective vacuum. I am, overall, very displeased with  more... This employer with not only how I personally was treated, but how my fellow employees were treated as well and would not recommend this job for anyone unless it was a last resort.  less
Pros
You get a paycheck
Cons
Small check, no benefits, no medical, late hours, over work employees, discrimination, inconsideration for employee safety unless they are at risk and so on.
Friendly environment with opportunities to advance knowledge.
Nursing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 20, 2012
Great place to work Wonderful teamwork and supportive co-workers. Learning experiences were frequently offered to me.
I was a nurse instructor and I loved this job. The management and co- workers could not have been more united and more encouraging of their staff.
I enjoyed teaching students in a variety of hospitals and the schools had always arranged the clinical experiences well in advance.
The hardest part of the job is when you have a student who is not up to academic standards. We all work hard to help these students but it is very hard when they fail. Fortunately this is rare because the admittance process is well adhered to.
The most enjoyable part of the job? Graduation day!
I loved working here and if my husband and I had not relocated so far away I would never have left.
Pros
free classes! i became a recognized painter!
Cons
i can't think of any