Maricopa County

Maricopa County Employer Reviews

Great opportunities within the Office.
Community Outreach/Visual Media Officer (Current Employee), Phoenix, AzFebruary 27, 2015
I have worked the Sheriff's Office for 5 years and have had many different job titles throughout due to the face that there are so many opportunities to choose from based on experience.
interesting place to work
plumber (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 20, 2015
working in the jails was interesting, plumbing in jails is a never ending job.............................................
Judicial Clerk / Courtroom Clerk
Judicial Clerk / Courtroom Clerk (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: great atmosphere, co-workers, work experience, benefits
Cons: pay; no or minimal raises.
I loved working for the county. I started as a Judicial Clerk for the Justice Courts where I got hands on experience in the courtroom and in helping the public with court proceedings. Staff and management were amazing to work with. Moved on to be a Courtroom Clerk in Juvenile Court where I loved the staff and management as well. Pay is not terrible but it is mandatory that about 11% of your gross pay (sometimes higher- varies year to year) goes right to your pension fund every pay period. So if you're making $17 an hour, it translates to $15.13 ...and that's BEFORE taxes, medical, dental, etc. Medical coverage is at a great premium. Tuition reimbursement was excellent. County pays a large percentage. Raises are minimal (and for years raises were frozen - we just didn't get one). Classes are offered thru the County that are required every year and are great for developing your skills to move ahead. Was very proud to work there.
good place to work
Predictive Maint Specialist (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 18, 2015
lots to learn and grow from. People willing to train and work beside you . it is a very positive working enviroment. Willing to hire from within for advancement
Challenging Work Environment
Office of Public Advocate (Current Employee), Mesa, ArizonaNovember 11, 2014
Pros: very supportive work environment
Cons: caseload is very high (90-100 cases at any one time)
Interact with clients on a daily basis; fast-paced environment dealing with a variety of complex legal issues and advising clients as to most advantageous course of action. The ability to deal with people from all walks of life is critical to success in this position ... from clients, opposing attorneys, judges, court and administrative staff. Communication and documentation within case files is critical to successfully practicing in the area of dependency law because it is known as the "death penalty" of civil litigation because parents are facing termination of parental rights. These skills of client and file management are portable to other areas of practice.
productive, goal oriented environment
Court Security Officer (Current Employee), Phoenix, AzOctober 30, 2014
Great place to work, very good people to surround yourself with. Large pool to network with.
This was a fast paced Help Desk Environment.
Manpower Contractor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 22, 2014
This was a fast paced Help Desk Environment. Multitasking was the name of the game here.
good employer
Legal Secretary Assistant Maricopa County (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 6, 2014
good employer, would like a new position. Good benefits, pay, etc.
great place to get to know patients really will
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: patients greatful for the help they recieve
Cons: no growth wit in the company
patients are very thankfull for your help.what i learned from this company how important is for caregiver to be at work everyday cause ars patients depende on us caregivers
Great job security but little pay and little upward mobility
Judicial Clerk / Courtroom Clerk (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 31, 2014
Pros: lots of time off that's always granted, good medical plans, interesting work
Cons: can't survive on the low pay; little to no upward mobility
I started as a Judicial Clerk Associate in the Justice Courts where I worked for a little over 2 years then moved on to Courtroom Clerk where I've been there for close to 3 yrs now. Lots of job security but I can't afford to move out of my parents' house. Lots of paid time off granted, but no raises, no upward mobility.

JUDICIAL CLERK (JUSTICE COURTS)
*High volume and busy from morning till end of the day; never boring; get to wear a lot of hats and see a lot of different case types
*Very low paying (usually start around $13 per hour)
*No raises / have to promote to get pay increase and there are no promotion offers regularly made - maybe 1 position once a year - maybe.
*Very good work/life balance - lots of vacation time offered and granted when asked to utilize it
*Family oriented environment / lots of pot-lucks and holiday parties
*Proud to do public service work
*Co-workers unsophisticated, uneducated and get pretty ridiculous if you talk about your plans for law school or the like; I wouldn't leak that information to anyone but the judges if I had to do that again
*Learn laws about traffic, small claims, evictions, and order of protection

COURTROOM CLERK
*Co-workers more sophisticated, many have degrees
*Little room for socialization so it gets lonely
*Good work-life balance; lots of vacation/time off always granted
*Very challenging in the beginning but is like second nature once you've been there about a year and starts to get pretty boring because you only type the minutes. That's it.
*Lots of self-management required here; little supervision
*Great job if going to – more... school at night (after the first year)
*ZERO upward mobility; raises granted annually but are abysmally low so you barely see a difference

MARICOPA COUNTY (OVERALL)
Lots of jobs are always available within the county and they always encourage growth and exploring other types of positions within the county - just doesn't pay enough unless you're in a management position (or a special trade ie; psychologist, web developer) - and management usually takes around a decade to get into (from what I've seen at my office) because management is usually hired within and according to seniority so you'll likely be waiting in line for a while before its your turn to be the boss. – less
Great Co-Workers
Protective Services Officer (Former Employee), PhoenixAugust 2, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: poor choices in management selections
The County took very good care of me for the 14 years I was there. It was just time to move on for family reasons.
Interactive environment with public
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 23, 2014
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: upset customers
This position required me to take in licenses, stats, blueprints for building permits. Learned much about processes to obtain building permits and licenses. Management very helpful. Hardest part keeping those upset with lack of progress calm. Co-workers very helpful. Enjoyable was the co-workers kindness and caring.
Supportive Management
Planner (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 22, 2014
Supportive managers who acted as mentors and provided valuable guidance and constructive criticism.
Presentations to staff, current HR trends, budget and inventory, correspodance, international and national human resource law, supervis20-200 workers
short and long term substitute teacher K-12 (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 14, 2014
In teaching I assumed all general duties of the teacher. I learned to be flexible when it came to lessons and planning. My organizational skills are superior. Co-workers were always very eager to fill me in on student behaviors. The hardest part of the job was learning so many forms of record keeping and conflict management. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the students.
Fast pace, interesting, place
Judicial Clerk Senior (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 10, 2014
This is a fast paced work environment. This is a good place to work for someone looking for stability. However, if you are looking for something with financial growth, this may not be for you.
Great career for a younger person
Deputy Sherriff (Former Employee), Avondale, AZMarch 15, 2014
Pros: wide variety of duties
Very interesting career. I was able to investigate crimes and conduct traffic stops. I investigated vehicle accidents and met allot of different types of people.
Productive friendly atmosphere surrounded by attorney's and advocates.
Legal Support Assistant (Former Employee), Phoenix ArizonaMarch 14, 2014
Pros: the location was great and next to everything
Cons: no room for advancment.
A typical day at work would be for me was to come in at 8 am set up at my computer. I was the back up receptionist that would take victims calls. When lunch time came for the main receptionist i would cover for her. In the front i would direct victims to the correct advocate according to what type of case they were in. I entered and documented all of the cases that would come to the County Attorney's Office. I also generated the letters that would go to the victims. Also mail came twice a day it was my responsibility to separate the mail and make sure they were dated. I was released at 5pm.
Good employer
Environmental Health Specialist (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 11, 2014
Inspecting retail food establishments, mobile food trucks, and special events.
Court Commissioner
Superior Court Commissioner (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 27, 2014
Loved the work and helping to people in dispute. I would handle high volume calendars on a daily basis. Over the ten years on the bench, I was assigned Probate, Family, Civil, Criminal, Tax, Mental Health and Juvenile calendars.
Lots of learning opportunities with a great team environment
Intake/Community Nutrition Worker (Former Employee), Phoenix, azOctober 24, 2013
Pros: free healthy snacks for employees
Cons: no breaks
Typical day was processing eligibility and verifying intake. Learned how to take hemoglobin and heights and weights of clients. Management was very hands on and my co-workers were team players. Hardest part of the job was maintaining patience while working with clients and also controlling the phone calls. The most enjoyable part of the job was satisfying clients.