Maricopa County Employee Reviews

Semi secure job
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 7, 2017
Job allows people to stay for many years which in turn limits advancement opportunities. When on the favored side of management life is very good with preferential perks given and privileges extended and a blind eye turned when a favorite employee harasses a rejected employee. Rejected and scorned employees are provided with substandard tools, receive reoccurring retaliation and restriction of activities. Whistle blowers are setup with a workplace environment which ultimately leads to constructive discharge.
Pros
Bus card, tuition reimbursement, full time benefits cost, State retirement system.
Cons
Limited advancement opportunity, inefficient and corrupt management, political in-fighting
fun and exciting place to work
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 22, 2017
i really enjoyed working for the maricopa county. they gave the training and tools i needed to be successful in my job. they gave year round training. i really hated leaving.
Pros
great benefits and training
Maricopa County is a great place to learn about industrial equipment
Stationary Engineer/Building Maint. Tech. (Former Employee) –  Maricopa, AZApril 21, 2017
Maricopa County is a challenging place to work. There is a lot of off hour work in dangerous places that challenge you as a tech, along with practicing all safety skills and requirement at all times during the day and during the night hours in places you have never been before.
Pros
Always challenging your skill level at all hours of the day or night.
Cons
Harsh conditions on roofs in summer heat
Growth Oppotunities
Peer Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 21, 2017
At MCESA, we believe in re-engineering systems by redefining our roles periodically. It is a culture of support and advancement for education without the interference of personal agendas. MCESA is a Maricopa County entity, but our reach is state-wide for the benefit of all.
Provide Overall Project Management for Projects Assigned
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 22, 2017
Once settled in, Review to-do-list for the day, check on calls and voice mails , and emails from previous and today. Began daily routine of project management.
Great co-workers, but
Business Office Specialist/ Call Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 10, 2017
Employees that actually run the day to day business are not compensated well for their work and loyalty.

Upper level management attitude is, "we can always hire someone cheaper to replace you if you resign".
benefits
Cons
see above
Overall, a good place to work, but, pay is low.
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 7, 2017
There have been many personnel changes in Maricopa County within the last 3 years. The pay is not competitive with the private sector, however, the benefits that are provided are outstanding.

The decision making process is slow. If you're just getting into the workforce on a full time level, this is a good place to work. For those with years of experience (7 plus years), I'd recommend looking elsewhere.
unhappy
Protective Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 3, 2017
Loved my job until i was laid off. had officers compete for positions that they we going to keep. They kept people who have poor attendance, damaged county vehicles. Have the wrong people in charge.
That is all that i have to say
Excellent place to work
Developement Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 7, 2016
You are treated as you treat them. Work hard as there is much advancement opportunity. Benefits are second to none and work conditions are terrific. Management was great.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Challenging
Criminal Investigator (Current Employee) –  Phoenixville, PANovember 2, 2016
Criminal defense investigation is extremely difficult both physically and mentally. Working multiple felony and capital cases at a time is all about time management. All investigation are handled independently and usually have completion dates. Management is very supportive in providing the information and available resources as needed.
Pros
Independent work
Cons
Challenging work
Community Service Supervisor/Spanish Internship (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZOctober 18, 2016
Worked with a diverse group of people in various seasonal weather conditions. I improved my skills of coordinating, dispatching and directing supervised work groups.
Well balanced, security and benefits packages, with retirement.
Work Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 9, 2016
Overall Maricopa County is a good agency to work for, they have all the interests of their employees in mind when making decisions that affect everyone involved. A typical day at work includes working well as a team and helping out where necessary. Fulfilling your obligations for the day and leaving with a good sense of accomplishment. Very customer oriented and teaches employees that quality as well. Wide array of classes available to help with job growth and security. The most difficult part of the job is hearing what the defendants have been through in their own lives and trying to help them and give them assurances they are going to be okay. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing them complete their probation terms and walk away a new person with new skills and a better life to help them move on from their past. Co workers are very knowledgeable and we are like a family in a lot of ways and try to put on holiday events, and celebrate accomplishments made throughout their careers.
Pros
Flexibility, quality of work recognition
Cons
repercussions to clients who dont accomplish thier goals.
Fast Paced
Court Operations Auditor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 28, 2016
Fast Paced work environment that serve a diverse community. Employees are trusted to excercise privacy and consistency while processing legal documents as they are private information of the citizens of Maricopa County. The medical and retirement benefits are good but the pay doesn't suffice the amount of work that you have to put out. The stability of the job is a plus and the people that work there are all great. Well trained and work collaboratively as a team. Supervisors and management are understanding however it is rare that you are given extra hours to work if you need extra cash.
Pros
Retirement and medical benefits
Cons
Pay
Great as a starter job for technical individuals, but must move on to grow
Director Enterprise Data Center Services (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 26, 2016
Opportunities to learn basic IT technologies, little advanced technologies or future for technology drivers in Government jobs with long hours and weekend work needed to continue to bring technology into 21st century. Tight politics, political with some individuals retired in place knowing only what they know inside the one organization they have been in for many years, So changes in advanced technology are viewed as contrary to their planned retirement..
Pros
Opportunities to learn base technologies, little advanced tech in Gov jobs
Cons
Long hours and weekend work to bring technology into 21st century
Great place to work and great benefits
PC/LAN Sr. Lead (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 16, 2016
Working for Maricopa County was a Monday-Friday workweek, 8am-5pm. I learned a great deal and was able to hone my skills to be the utmost professional and have the best customer service. My team is awesome and can always rely on them to get the job done. I really liked the flexibility and the benefits
Pros
The benefits and the flexibility
Cons
Management didn't make the best decisions.
customer service
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 8, 2016
its a very challenging position there is always room for advancement management good to work with good benefits customer service can be stressful coworkers great to work with don't gossip it bad karma there just do your job make it the best you can
Nice environment, flexible and they really are approachable.
Vital Registrar (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2016
My experience in Maricopa County is very good, they really are approachable and I learned a lot like, what is the process of a Vital Registration.
10 years
Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 27, 2016
I worked for Maricopa county for over ten years. It was a good job but I didn't consider it a career due to the improbability of advancement and little to no pay increases. moreover the sheriffs office makes it very clear that they don't value experience.
Pros
lots of vacation hours
Cons
no breaks. low moral and pay
Stable place to work
Accountant; Clerk of Superior Court (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 18, 2016
This government job provides a retirement, security, okay benefits, but it pays very little. It is a long drive for me so I'm looking for someplace closer to home.
Pros
security
Cons
low salary
Working in a comfortable environment
Judicial Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Surprise, AZApril 25, 2016
I would do all the accounting for the businesses. I would process payroll. I would process on paperwork for the independent schools