Maricopa County Employee Reviews

Provide HR , Payroll, and Policy support and training to IT department
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 21, 2016
Each day is different with multiple priorities popping up all the time. Variety is good. Over the course of my tenure, I have expanded my diverse administrative, human resources and accounting background to include the administrative, HR and financial functions of a government entity and the related merit system that guides personnel management and compensation. One of my favorite roles is serving on the County's HR Advisory Council. This is a small interactive group of HR and Payroll professionals from various functional groups across the County.
Good government job
Database Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 20, 2016
Good place to work. Lots of time off / holidays. State retirement ASRS is great as well. The pay is not the best though but benefits are great
sometimes fun with team players
Appraiser 2 (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 10, 2015
Its a good company to work for for benifits. Salry decent. Management not always supportive. Lots of good people there as co-workers. A lot of politics and favortism. Had a lot of good years there in satlelite office. Not as much pro-management.
Pros
free downtown parking, free bus pass
Cons
all about the numbers which is ok at times.
Good Job Security
Judicial Clerk Senior (Current Employee) –  ArizonaJanuary 19, 2016
Overall a nice place to work but there are minimal opportunities to advance. The pay is well below market however, the benefits make up for it.
Judicial Clerk / Courtroom Clerk
Judicial Clerk / Courtroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 19, 2015
I loved working for the county. I started as a Judicial Clerk for the Justice Courts where I got hands on experience in the courtroom and in helping the public with court proceedings. Staff and management were amazing to work with. Moved on to be a Courtroom Clerk in Juvenile Court where I loved the staff and management as well. Pay is not terrible but it is mandatory that about 11% of your gross pay (sometimes higher- varies year to year) goes right to your pension fund every pay period. So if you're making $17 an hour, it translates to $15.13 ...and that's BEFORE taxes, medical, dental, etc. Medical coverage is at a great premium. Tuition reimbursement was excellent. County pays a large percentage. Raises are minimal (and for years raises were frozen - we just didn't get one). Classes are offered thru the County that are required every year and are great for developing your skills to move ahead. Was very proud to work there.
Pros
great atmosphere, co-workers, work experience, benefits
Cons
pay; no or minimal raises.
customer service
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 8, 2016
its a very challenging position there is always room for advancement management good to work with good benefits customer service can be stressful coworkers great to work with don't gossip it bad karma there just do your job make it the best you can
10 years
Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 27, 2016
I worked for Maricopa county for over ten years. It was a good job but I didn't consider it a career due to the improbability of advancement and little to no pay increases. moreover the sheriffs office makes it very clear that they don't value experience.
Pros
lots of vacation hours
Cons
no breaks. low moral and pay
Nice environment, flexible and they really are approachable.
Vital Registrar (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2016
My experience in Maricopa County is very good, they really are approachable and I learned a lot like, what is the process of a Vital Registration.
Stable place to work
Accountant; Clerk of Superior Court (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 18, 2016
This government job provides a retirement, security, okay benefits, but it pays very little. It is a long drive for me so I'm looking for someplace closer to home.
Pros
security
Cons
low salary
It' time for me to move on.
GIS Mapping and Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, azJune 2, 2015
Poor advancement opportunities, hostile work environment, and unwillingness to listen to ESRI regarding necessary changes in process and use of a Parcel Fabric (Projection.)
Benefits
Cons
Pay, managemet, hostile work environment.
Working in a comfortable environment
Judicial Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Surprise, AZApril 25, 2016
I would do all the accounting for the businesses. I would process payroll. I would process on paperwork for the independent schools
Interesting line of work
Judicial Clerk Associate (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 15, 2016
No day was ever the same, I always had a new challenge to face. I loved it! Anyone who wants to try something new should look into applying with the county!
it was a tough job
Juvenile Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 1, 2015
The youth that you encounter in this job come from all walks of life. This type of environment is hard on the spirit and mind. It keeps you on your toes all the time , not only with the kids but with the adults in the building.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no breaks, no real leadership, mentally tough job, physically tought job
Productive, personally satisfying, great benefits
COURT OPERATIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 21, 2012
Helped people to file court documents regarding divorce, custody, paternity, child support. Learned a lot about the precise way to file court docs. The hardest part of my job was seeing people in such a bad place in their lives. The best part of my job was being able to help these people through hard times. Management was good. Great co-workers.
Pros
great benefits, free bus service, great team work.
Cons
low wages, hostile customers at times.
Some people are wonderful, others not...
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  PhoenixFebruary 3, 2013
Though I had a great manager and a good team of people to work with, upper management were often disconnected and callus of those they were there to help and manage, along with those they were contracted to serve.

Wages were low, though benefits were quite good. After being there for some time example of promotion were far and few and those who worked hard at taking care of customers are were often ignored, never appreciated and blamed for failures of upper managements planning and shortcoming. Upper management rarely, if ever, took any responsibility.

Though our department people were qualified, we were often ham-stringed and limited by trust issues between internal departments. Lots of failures to follow through, or forethought in long term planning.

Many employees were jaded and great mistrust of department heads as often many times being singled out to be made example of for offering suggestions, though well thought out, that management disagreed with.
Pros
some lower level manager are good, from them it can be an enjoyable job, job security is ok once you pass probation
Cons
callus and indifferent upper management, little or no recognition, no promotions, probation can go on forever for little or no reason
Great Workplace
Bailiff, Criminal Division (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 14, 2015
Good place to work for if someone is looking to grow in banking. Plenty of opportunities to grow and focus on specific career path.
Great Co-Workers
Protective Services Officer (Former Employee) –  PhoenixAugust 2, 2014
The County took very good care of me for the 14 years I was there. It was just time to move on for family reasons.
benefits
Cons
poor choices in management selections
Great benefits
FACILITIES PLANNER (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 31, 2012
As in most public entities there is politics to deal with. Loved my job and working with customers and large projects. Hard to make changes.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
have to watch the political winds
A great place to work if money is not an object.
Vector Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Maicopa County ArizonaApril 29, 2013
My typical day of work consists of a routine schedule of stops that I need to make. In the summertime complaints come through our complaint department and are shuffled to the appropriate person. This adds some variation to my days.
I have learned from this job and past employment how to manage my time to complete the needed tasks that are assigned to me. I have learned to basically manage myself.
The management is a 'good ole boy' system that doesn't reward the lower levels of employment. They look out only for themselves and are willing to step on anyone to get what they want. There is a real feeling of a "me" attitude.
I enjoy my co-workers. They are people that I can call more than just co-workers, but friends.
The hardest part of my job is the fact that there doesn't seem to be any reward to those of us that work hard to represent the county in a good light. The county has gone almost 7 years without any form of compensation increase for the lower levels of employment, while some in upper management have seen annual increases in their pay of 20%.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the fact that I enjoy offering the public a sense of protection from certain diseases and nuisances. I enjoy the sense of accomplishment when a citizen of the county tells me a simple, "Thank you."
My overall review of Maricopa County is that they have a great benefits package and retirement plan. There is no real room for advancement where college education can be replaced by real world experience.
Pros
4/10 schedule, benefits, vacation
Cons
a lack of reward for hard work and no pay/merit increases for almost 7 years.
Enjoyed Health Care
Team Lead Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 25, 2012
High volume of calls each day what I enjoyed about this job we had four Health Plans to give benefits on. I was a team lead and worked with a great group of people
Pros
early hours
Cons
no over time

Maricopa County Reviews by Location