Marie Callender's Employee Reviews

Fun Workplace
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAApril 20, 2017
I was very fortunate to be apart of Marie Callender's Restaurant & Bakery for six years. It was a fun upbeat working environment. I got to meet new customers everyday and being apart of management, i really learned a lot. It was unfortunate that the location i was at closed down due to the lease of the land, however i will never forget the memories, work ethic, & skills i acquired.
Great Place to Work
Server (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAApril 12, 2017
It has it moments of slow and busy business shifts. The people were friendly and the tips were good. I had to relocate, but would recommend for sure !
Pros
Schedule, Tips
Cons
Sometimes Slow
Steady paced environment that maintained effective personality
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  San Juan Capistrano, CAApril 11, 2017
A typical day consisted of regulating a balanced table rotation, Delivery of constant exceptional customer service, tendering money at the cashier, promoting special items on the menu, getting to known customers on a first-name basis. The hardest part of the job was the holiday season where the store was constantly busy and had to be up to par with the current specials.
Pros
One free meal per day of work
Cons
No benefits
Terrible
Hostess/Cashier/Server (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CAApril 2, 2017
Don't work here; management sucks. Especially corporate, this company is going bankrupt and because of it the employees suffer. They have to cut back hours which makes it difficult to live life; especially when you're a full time student.
They are somewhat flexible with hours, but be sure to know they'll schedule you on the days you're unavailable and have you off on the days you are available. The customers are old and rude with very little patience. This place is the worst and if you work here; get out while you can, and if you want to work here: don't.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Literally everything else
went out of buisness
Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMarch 21, 2017
Was very slow, with many complaints. Often had to deal with customers complaints as a manager. Eventually, this lead to the restaurant being shut down.
Fast paced
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MNMarch 13, 2017
Perkins/Marie Calanders has been around for many years and has high standards to hold up. They have systems in place and knowledgeable senior management. Great company to work for but know that nights, weekends and holidays are a must.
Pros
Free meals
Great starting job
Host/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAMarch 5, 2017
Great place for a first job. Management was horrible though. Scheduling would get changed daily and you would always work longer than supposed too.
Awesome place no question
Server (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAFebruary 28, 2017
The place was good to work it has lots of clients that were regulars. Some friendly staff. Have the best experience as a server here
Pros
Free drinks. Good staff. 1Pie free every month
Cons
The schedule did no help to have a second job
Good family owned company
HOSTESS (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 27, 2017
I usually only worked two or three days per week, and was forced to eventually get a second job at Chipotle because of the lack of work. I learned how to decorate and make various bakery items, deal with multiple stressed customers at once during Thanksgiving and Christmas, how to take to go orders versus print the receipt for a restaurant order, and communicate with management during confusing and stressful times. The most enjoyable part of the job was decorating pies and helping the servers, the hardest part was the amount of customers who were annoyed when we told them they had to wait for a table.
Pros
Good communication, friendly culture, free drinks
Cons
Expensive meals, short tempered customers
Managing to keep up
Hostess & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAFebruary 22, 2017
Depending where I was needed most I would sit small and large parties, run to go orders, or manage the bakery section. Managers were in and out of this location, which caused major problems in the work place.

Want to know more about Marie Callender's?

Ask a question
Horrid
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAFebruary 22, 2017
Management makes excuses.. went 2 months without being scheduled once. Managers excuse was that she was 'over staffed'. later I found out that later that week she hired for two positions I was very qualified to handle.
A great experience
SERVER/MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAFebruary 15, 2017
Good experience. Developed my skills in management. Enjoyed working with customers. The hardest part was getting upper management to approve work orders to improve the store.
Pros
My experience in learnig how to properly manage a company
Cons
Upper management didn't care to correct major issues to better the place
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  West CovinaFebruary 1, 2017
Worked here 10 years, and the company is a good company to work for. Move you up quickly if you work hard and perform well in your position.
Great place to work and get experience with customer service.
Server (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAJanuary 30, 2017
Marie Callender's was a great place to get experience with customer service because you are always dealing with the needs of customers. I learned how to provide excellent customer service even when the customers were irate. The culture of Marie Callender's was very diverse which I loved. I love to work with different people so that i can see and learn about different things. The hardest part of the job was delivering efficient customer service when I had to rely on other people. For example, I f the food was taking too long because the cooks were behind, I had to find a way to keep the customer satisfied. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to serve people and make them happy.
Pros
Half off food
Cons
short breaks
hard work
Dishwasher/Busser (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAJanuary 27, 2017
I liked roofing because it was hard work and I felt a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day. im older now and don't want to tear up my body
Enjoyable workplace
Bakery Cashier/Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJanuary 25, 2017
Marie Callender's is a very positive work experience that most people will be able to enjoy. With an emphasis on genuine service rather than the typical stuff, you have some leeway in how you communicate with customers. The most difficult, but at the same time most fun, part of working with this company is the Holiday rushes. You are required to work major holidays(Christmas, Easter, etc.), but with how busy these holidays are an 8-hour shift can sometimes feel like it passed by in 5 minutes.
Pros
Steady pace, health benefits after a few years
Cons
Holiday hours are mandatory.
It is a good job if you do not want to be there the rest of your life
Server (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAJanuary 18, 2017
I enjoyed working there purely because of my co-workers. I did not enjoy the actual job or place itself. I had no sense of being taken care of and in the end they closed without telling anyone! Not cool
Pros
free food, great co-workers
Cons
terrible owner, no growth
OK pay, poorly organized
Food Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 4, 2017
Upper management and middle management both juggle too much to be effective. Typical day at work is 90% cooking and 10% administrative tasks.
Pros
Free meals, available bonuses
Good working experience
Waiter's Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 15, 2016
Work was fast paced and challenging with different tasks that need to be executed and must be able to multi-task with the aid of your co-workers. Good experience.
comparable to incessant, though familiar musical notes that does not end at the time ya thought it would
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CADecember 9, 2016
exemplified almost daily were the manic lows and highs observable by staff and guests and even those phoning in for an order
management was hot and cold and nobody was really on the same trajectory.
complaints and requested materials were not provided, yet if one could approach all involved, and all visiting with a humor slightly sideways and a bit off putting, abandoning all major company guidelines of how to "present oneself as a Marie Callendars excellent repre..........etc etc....then it becomes a pleasantly lived moment.
Pros
entertainment while being compensated and pleasing guests hitherto many became regular visits
Cons
unreasonable confrontation, the need to illustrate divisions within the totem when there be no need

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marie Callender's. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval