Marie Callender's Employee Reviews in United States

Lovely old building with tons of charm, and problems
Assistant Manager/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAApril 7, 2016
Such a nostalgic place to work I grew personally attached too, but with it's own set of issues.

VERY old building that always had problems.
Had to close down numerous sections because of plumbing and roof leaks.
Was a franchise location partnered with Toluca Lake, CA

Was extremely obvious the owner didn't have an interest in it anymore.

****UPDATE****
Building is no longer there and was torn down.
Part time extra cash Job
Waitress/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 31, 2016
Was simple, and rewarding, ability to have financial freedom during holiday season,ability to see people after hours enjoy a meal, and enjoy the time with their family and friends, nice to have so many pies at my disposal.
Pros
the ability to have extended financial freedom
Cons
the rush rush, and only having one day of rest, not being able to have much free time
Day as a Food Service General Manager
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Montebello, CAJanuary 21, 2016
As a General Manager over saw entire Restaurant operations.

Mornings consisted of e-mails and paperwork.
Kitchen checks followed to make sure we were preparing the
correct foods in the correct amounts.
Ordering foods and products was part of the morning duties.
As co-workers came in we would quick connect to make sure
they understood their duties.

The meal period would begin time to be out on the floor and great and serve our guest.

After the meal period meeting with fellow management to go over Restaurant business.

Get ready for the next meal period and hand off the shift to a fellow manager.
Pros
Always moving day goes by fast
Cons
Working Holidays
Enjoyable
Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAFebruary 26, 2016
I had a great experience working for Marie Callendar's. It gave me the work experience I needed to continue working in the restaurant business. Every work shift I was responsible for showing customers o their seats and other duties like tending to the bathroom etc.
Fast paced restaurant with a wonderful crew.
Manager (Former Employee) –  La Habra, CAFebruary 2, 2016
The thing I liked most about the job was using my customer service skills. I learned how to manage a restaurant. Performed opening and closing duties. Observed Health and Safety Issues.
Pros
I loved this job.
Cons
I was working overtime everyday 12-14hrs.
Excellent work environment
Server, Lead server, server trainer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 1, 2016
My ideal job, however, the restaurant closed. I was a lead server and thus able to take care of the large parties in the banquet room.
Pros
Taking the large parties
Cons
healthcare
Fun, low-volume, seasonal, productive, partially organized work place
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CASeptember 22, 2015
Fun, low-volume, productive environment with an partially organized management. The largest covers were around fall holidays, which increased the demand for pies. I learned how to top pies and make home made whip cream. The hardest part of the job was maintaining extensive family orders around the seasonal holidays. The most enjoyable part of the job was when; I won three mystery shopping reports which entered me into the divisions corporate drawing for a prize, and I won that as well. Also greeting, and seating the guest in a warm personable manner.
just a work place.
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Hemet, CADecember 9, 2015
this place wasn't all that great to work at. only for the guests who came back everyday. Management had poor communication skills. Co workers were very competitive with each other to get to guests.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
slow
first job
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Modesto CaMarch 17, 2016
this was a good place to get my feet wet in the manager field i was able to grow from an employee to a manager . enjoyed working there
Pros
great team
Cons
nothing
fast paced environment
Cashier, Host, Busboy, Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAJanuary 21, 2016
It was a fun fast paced environment and had opportunities to work multiple positions. Management was great and it filled my part time needs.
Review Summary for Marie Callender's
Food Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAJuly 18, 2015
I started working for this company as a regular Line Cook when it was a franchise restaraunt. in 2013 Corporate took over the restaraunt and promoted me to Kitchen Manager. I took on the position with a running start and helped turn our kitchen around immediately. Overall is a very good company to work for.
Pros
free food, use my culinary education, paid weekly
Cons
healthcare wasnt the greatest
overall
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 9, 2015
this was an example of an old fashioned neighborhood wholesome 1960's good old america mom and pop eatery losing its ways and value, being modernized and not really adjusting well to the times. The food was pretty bad, and the managers bended the rules to get their ways, stepped over employees underneath them. I must admit I did learn a lot of lessons here, many ill carry through life. It overall wasn't a good or bad place to work, they could've been a great company but they just chose to run with the bad side of business practices. I'd recommend this as a good place to start fresh out of high school but thats about it, this shouldn't go past college unless you advance to manager. They should focus more on improvement and really becoming great establishment again as oppose to greed and becoming too corporate. They still have some pretty tasty pie at the end of the day, and the older generation customers are pretty awesome.
Pros
great place to learn restaurant experience
Cons
the managment
It was a great experience, and the employees/managers were fun to work with.
Host/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 10, 2015
Each day was a new experience at Marie Callender's. The customers were such a joy to serve and the people i worked with were also very generous and told me what i was doing right as well as how i could improve as an employee. As a result, I learned how to become better at my job and how to better interact with other people in general. I don't believe that there were any parts of my job that were difficult because it was actually a very enjoyable experience. However, the best part about working there was probably the other employees i was surrounded with.
Pros
Free lunch/pies, great co-workers.
Cons
Inconsistent hours.
I loved serving tables
Waitress and Hostess (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 10, 2015
I loved serving tables and meeting new people everyday when I worked. I loved all the staff that I worked with they were very nice and friendly.
It was a fun place to work at before graduating college.
Bookkeeper, Monterey Park (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAAugust 4, 2015
I enjoyed working as the bookkeeper for Marie Callender's while also going to college at the same time. I would have stayed there longer but I needed to use my degree and explore other companies.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Healthcare
it was fun amoung us server
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  9829 La Serna Drive Wittier califJune 9, 2015
i learn how to open and close the store when i was a shift supervisor i enjoy my job,being a shift supervisor, working with the server's i couldn't ask for a better staff than this and i miss them there at work
Pros
we where able to bring in cupcakes, cookies in for the holidays
Cons
we had to pay for are lunches, and we where open for all holidays
fast pace friendly enviornment
Server (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAJuly 13, 2015
cashiering,serving,taking orders helping other crew members i also enjoyed being a hostes an seating people. I looked forward to working the time went fast during my shift
Pros
free meals
Good comapny to work for.
Assistant Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 8, 2015
They take care of their employees and great customer service. Customers are numbers one. Would like to return because it is a company you can work for a long time.
Pros
Great food
Benefits
Awesome
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  San DiegoJuly 16, 2015
Good place to work, great staff and great food. I love their pies. Great leadership, excellent benefits and a little low compensation
fast paced, fun and friendly envipoment
hostess/ cashier (Current Employee) –  Ventura, Ca, 93024January 16, 2015
This job has taught me so much with work and life. This is my first food/beverage job. I have learned to be more calm in fast moving enviornment but also get the job done. The management is not really something I would specialize on. They hired me with no experience and I thank them so much for that but the way things are run and the placement of employees upsets me in a way. I o not feel personally victimized, its an overall issue amongst us employees. The hardest part of this job is sometimes the customers, when they want to get in your face and yell at you because it took too long to get them seated, or that service was slow, but I know they dont understand the business but it makes it difficult at times.
Pros
discounted meals, meeting new people, money
Cons
short breaks, no benefits, management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marie Callender's. Our community is ready to answer.