Marie Callender's

Marie Callender's United States Employee Reviews

pies, pies and more pies
Cashier (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVFebruary 16, 2015
Marie Callender's is a old fashioned restaurant where all the locals like to come to. the busiest season for the company would be winter holidays where we would sell full thanksgiving dinner and loads of pies.
fast paced, fun and friendly envipoment
hostess/ cashier (Current Employee), Ventura, Ca, 93024January 16, 2015
Pros: discounted meals, meeting new people, money
Cons: short breaks, no benefits, management
This job has taught me so much with work and life. This is my first food/beverage job. I have learned to be more calm in fast moving enviornment but also get the job done. The management is not really something I would specialize on. They hired me with no experience and I thank them so much for that but the way things are run and the placement of employees upsets me in a way. I o not feel personally victimized, its an overall issue amongst us employees. The hardest part of this job is sometimes the customers, when they want to get in your face and yell at you because it took too long to get them seated, or that service was slow, but I know they dont understand the business but it makes it difficult at times.
Everything was great
Brunch Assistant (Former Employee), Temecula, CAJune 19, 2014
Pros: great environment
Cons: late night shift
My typical day would start in the dine making sure no tables were dirty and make sure all dine looked nice and neat. I would clean the salad bar and at night me and the coworkers would change the ice.
Management team was great. I've learned a lot at this place. Very nice people work there. Unfortunately I had to put my two weeks notice because I moved out of town. Hardest part of the job was Sunday brunch. It was very busy day but we always pull through. The most enjoyable part was everything. Baking pies interacting with my coworkers.
Fast paced up beat environment.
Bus Person- Dish person- Salad bar (Current Employee), Modesto, CAMay 2, 2014
Pros: free food, great environment, team work
A typical day at work consists of all of the co workers and managers working as a team, and getting the job done. I learned that if the managers and the co workers work together they will hardly ever be behind. The hardest part of the job is when bussing, handling the salad bar, keeping all the food stocked up, maintaining a clean environment, ex. tables, floors, bathrooms, walk ins, and making sure silverware is ready to go. It is basically the job of five people combined into just my duties for the day, but I can handle it. The most enjoyable part of work is knowing if anyone needs help there is always someone to be there to help.
Great workplace and food
Cashier/Host (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: free food, friendly staff.
Cons: very low pay
Overall, I enjoyed working at Marie Callenders's. My only complaint would be the low pay, just at minimum wage and no benefits. I learned how to deal with customers and some management skills. Management was great and they always made sure all employees were on task and satisfied. I got along very well with all my coworkers, which helped me a lot.

The hardest part of the job would be to deal with customers, I had no customer service experience prior to this job. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with coworkers and the delicious food.
Challenging, always changing enviornment
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee), Westlake Village, CADecember 16, 2013
Pros: working with the staff and customers. also facing the daily challenges
Cons: no benefits or insurance offered at the time
Typical restaurant day with breakfast, lunch and dinner rushes. It made the day go by fast. I learned valuable management and customer service skills that has benefited me throughout my career. The general manager was my mentor, he really taught me a lot about the restaurant business. I really loved the team I got to manage. They were dedicated to the job at task and easy to work with. The most challenging part of this job was to keep on top of the food inventory and order supply. But as I gained more experience, I found that became an easier task for me to handle. I found the job overall to be enjoyable, so it's hard to pick out one specific example. It's really just a wonderful franchise to work.
great job
chef (Current Employee), chico,ca 95928November 5, 2013
This job has been really good to me,alot of experience is required,i just need more hours.
Whipped Cream Anyone?
Cashier/Hostess (Former Employee), Windcrest , TXSeptember 25, 2013
Working here was enjoyable. I enjoyed most of the staff. (Although the waitresses can be pretty testy) I was a seasonal employee and am thinking about going back this year.
Fast pace work environment with great co-workers.
Server/Cashier/Food Runner/Hostess (Former Employee), Montebello, CASeptember 16, 2013
Provide a friendly and sanitized work environment. Greet guest, take food orders, deliver food to tables, and tend to all guest with their dinning needs. Develop individual and team work skills. Most enjoyable part was working with people.
Fun work envirnment focused on Guest satisfaction
Server, Bartender, CT, Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), West Covina, CASeptember 13, 2013
I have grown and learned so much from this company. I started as a host and have moved through pretty much every dept I can without being a salary manager.
Easy Going Job
Food Server (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: 30 minute lunch break, free employee meals, pie !
It's an easy going job. Nothing to serious, just a typical middle class dining restaurant. Doesn't get too busy during the weekend but it's a job. Clients are older but very nice, co-workers are absolutely amazing. and has by far the greatest team out of all three franchise locations
There are worse things in life than being covered in whipped cream!
Cashier/Hostess (Former Employee), Windcrest, TXJune 22, 2013
Come in. Say hello. Tie up your apron and get ready to go. At Marie Callenders, we seated guest according to party needs and waiter rotation schedules. I learned the value of integrity and work ethic and team work. My managers were for the most part pretty helpful and understanding. My coworkers on the other hand not so much. The hardest part about the job is remembering all your assigned tasks and not leaving anything undone. The most enjoyable part is whipping pies and interacting with guest.
Fast paced and good place to work
Server (Current Employee), Orange, CAJune 2, 2013
Pros: discounts on food, great co-workers, managers who care about you
Cons: going into work you never know if its going to be busy and a good money night or very slow
Everyone is very friendly and always there to help. You meet new people everyday and must be very detail oriented. At this job it's all about team work but also being able to stand on your own and handle any issues that come up.
Very fun place to eat at with family
Busser/Dishwasher (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 1, 2013
Pros: free lunch and meal
Cons: had a very short break
My day was always great every time i'm coming to work. I learn so much while worker there as a Busser it was fun in hard but i got the job done.Co-workers help me out alot they were very nice in outstanding in listener.
busy work place, friendly enviroment
Server and Cashier/Host (Former Employee), Glendale, CAMarch 21, 2013
greeting customers, answering phones calls and entering to go orders. Putting together to go orders, helping co-workers with running food and preparing drinks
good place to work
Server (Former Employee), Visalia, CAFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: cheap meals, good tips
Cons: bad management, some times not enough hours
at the time I was there was not making very good choices on hiring of cashiers, greeters. The management was not on key. The serving staff was great the patrons left happy. The kitchen crew was awesome they took pride in the food that was sent out. Was not the worst place to work
My experience at Marie Callender's...
Restaurant Manager and Trainer (Current Employee), Austin, TXDecember 18, 2012
Pros: free meals
Cons: staying late.
-I come in in the afternoon and close the restaurant.
-I've learned how to keep customers happy and employees on task and how to settle disputes, as well as how to manage records and the safe.
-The hardest part of my job is multi-tasking when the restarant is very buzy.
-I enjoy conversing with customers.
Productive High Pace Customer Service
Server and Cashier/Host (Former Employee), Glendale, CADecember 10, 2012
High paced environment providing excellent customer service and working as a team in a productive manner. Awesome colleagues to have worked with, consider them family and the restaurant a second home. Everyday brought new challenges and different environments to test us day in and day out. Best part was meeting and satisfying customers and becoming familiar with their faces and personalities.
Productive and Mulitasking
Hostess (Current Employee), Lancaster, CaNovember 10, 2012
Pros: fast pace and customer engaged.
Cons: no place for advancement and no types of benefits.
A typical day at work would be answering phones, taking to-go orders over the phone and in the restaurant. Setting up the bakery with muffins and pies. Making sure all items are stocked and working area is cleaned and organized. Greeting guest as the walk in and seating them in correct server stations. I have learned how to food industry works. This is my first time working in a restaurant. Management is well but only one person can make all final decisions which is the owner of the restaurant. I get along with all my co-works and work well with them. I make sure I get my job done. I would say one of the hardest parts of the job would be with dealing with a complicated order that isn't normally on our menu. As a hostess I need to make sure everything is done correctly to meet customers needs. Most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the customer very satisfied when I have done my part right. I like building clientele with my customers and ensuring that their experience was wonderful.
Another Restaurant Job
Hostess/Cashier/Lead Server (Former Employee), Austin, TXOctober 22, 2012
Not a whole lot to say, don't get stuck working as a cashier in the bakery. If you do, move up to server as quick as possible. It's way more money and way less stressful.