Marietta College

Marietta College Employer Reviews

One of the top Petroleum Engineering schools in the country
Senior Petroleum Engineering Student (Current Employee), Marietta,OHOctober 10, 2014
Marietta has been a great place to study and gain knowledge of the oil and gas industry.
Interesting and enjoyable place to work
Writing Tutor (Former Employee), Marietta, OHMay 29, 2014
Pros: good co-workers, steady client base, approachable management, flexible hours
Cons: small workspace, not enough hours
The Writing Center was designed to help students with writing assignments, without doing the work for the students. Proofreading, editing, and copying were not allowed as part of the job; instead, tutors worked to identify problem areas with the students, and give them guidelines on how to improve in those areas.

Each student had 30 minutes to an hour – more... with a tutor, whom they requested on the Writing Center website. Subjects ranged from Chemistry to ESL, but focused on writing. A typical day would include a one-three hours shift, with anywhere between one and six clients per tutor. Depending on the student's needs, the tutor helped the student with their organization, thesis statement, assignment interpretation, brainstorming, grammar, syntax, notation, documentation, or format, or another uncategorized area. The tutor and student would work together to cover the focus areas within the allotted time, and if needed, would schedule another session for a different time.

Management was placed in the hands of the Director of the Writing Center, who was in charge of recruiting tutors, training tutors, maintaining and upgrading the Writing Center website, and ensuring the tutors had the time of shifts they needed. Two women held the position while I was there, and both were excellent.

My co-workers ranged between freshman and senior tutors, and were all friendly and dedicated to their work.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with no-shows; sometimes students would sign up for a session, but never show up for it, and any time or preparation for that student was wasted.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me was assisting the ESL students. It was interesting and intriguing to see where common problems arose for Chinese, Middle Eastern, or other foreign students. – less
Highly productive workplace
ASL Interpreter (Current Employee), Marietta, OHDecember 12, 2013
Pros: nice working environment
Cons: i had no opportunity for advancment due to the rural location and lack of diversity
As an interpreter at this prestigious institution I was not only a welcomed member of the educational team, but a valued one as well.
Very understanding to students needs.
Film Crew (Current Employee), Marietta, OHOctober 21, 2012
Pros: flexible
Very flexible with work schedule, and allowing students to work over the summer and allowing them to return to their job from a previous semester.
Productive and fun with great staff.
College basketball manager (Former Employee), Marietta, OHSeptember 18, 2012
Pros: free dinner, i got to be around the team.
Cons: long days on game days.
I would get up and goto school, then after my classes go talk to one of my coaches and ask if he needed help with anything. If he said yes I would do whatever he needed. Then I would help get practice setup and clean-up when its done. If it was game i would do the same thing and do laundry after. I learned patience and the importance of listening and – more... being on time to everything. Hardest part was balancing school and work with long work days. Most enjoyable part was being around the team and the coaching staff. – less
Great liberal arts college
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee), Marietta, OHJuly 31, 2012
Was a mathematics tutor when I was an undergraduate at Marietta College.