Marinello Schools of Beauty

Marinello Schools of Beauty Employer Reviews

Esthetics course
Retail sales (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Learned State board well passed with flying colors.The teachers were great cant say much about the management.
My first love
HAIRSTYLIST INTERN (Former Employee), Paramount, CAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: 1600 hours
Cons: not licensed
Cosmetology happens to be my very first means of making money. I've been styling hair since i was 11 years old. I became a Professional at the age of 15. Styling hair is how i learned that the world is very competitive for jobs and life experiences.
The people that attended the school were nice and most of them are very successful in their careers. I on the other hand have had difficult times with the now former Director not giving the state the copies of paperwork for me to receive a test date to become licensed.
Unorganized
Regional Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee), CADecember 3, 2014
Pros: free services by the students
Cons: pay and corporate
Not really much to say other then this company need total organization. Company is ran like a mom and pop with old cms systems. Waste all day with manual report after report then still have to do a conference call regarding all the information provided.
Had I known!!!!!!!
Management / staff (Current Employee), CaNovember 2, 2014
Pros: non
Cons: profits before people. management will lied to you. don't trust upper management.
Hands down, one of the most underhand company's ever. This company will lie to you. Very unsupportive, fake and will put profits before people. Top management will lay blame on support staff and spin everything. Students are very unhappy at all campuses and corp support is a piece of work. They say they want to inspire people to perform...... when they don't provide the same. Again, had I known I would have never worked here...... STAY AWAY!!!!!!! Very high turn over in all departments throughout California.
inattentive, rude management, messy
Student Cosmetologist (Current Employee), ontatio caOctober 10, 2014
Pros: lots of food places near by
Cons: favoritism, messy, rude staff, unprofessional
i didnt enjoy wotking with marinello as a student cosmetologist
Don't apply. They will hire you and suck your life force.
Instructor (Former Employee), Stockton, CASeptember 29, 2014
Pros: made some good friends with a handfull of students. great kids!
Cons: corporation run. only care for numbers. not personal successes. higher ups, if they come in ever, have already heard lies about you and will never give you a chance. in
Gave my all everyday. Was never late or absent. Went home at night drained from my day with the Marinello method...(useless in reality curriculum), a lying, disconnected director, and troubled students. Had a director that showed up when she had the time to be there so she could cater to the "numbers" and students who are disrespectful to staff and other students. Director never had my back and would regularly beat a dead horse...sometimes for hours. She rode my butt constantly. Yet I showed up the next day. District manager was blind to what was happening and when brought to her attention turned it all around on me. Got an incredibly unfair review at 4 months but promised that it would be better next time. I was fired in the long run with no reason given. I knew it was because Iwasnt part of the political click. Go to work for Marinello if you really need a job but look for a better job while you're at it.

PS...My director couldn't hide her lying behavior for long. She got fired shortly after they parted ways with me.
Corrupt! Upper Management no knowledge of the Beauty industry
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee), Inland EmpireAugust 13, 2014
Pros: employees
Cons: upper management, no support, clueless and only wants "new starts"
Corrupt! This place is scam. Only in it for the money $$ They are not interested in educating students. Ran down campus, School Directors are pathetic! Upper management is clueless and only cares about "new starts" $$ (enrollments) the RVP is a dingbat and has no formal knowledge of Cosmetology. The guy is a scam artist. Will hire to fire. Only cares about numbers. DO NOT APPLY! Big waste of time. They do not compensate their employees and ask for 12-16 "new starts" per month. Marinello is not the place to work! Candidates beware! SCAM, Corrupt & a waste of time!
Decent School, great bond with students
Level 3 instructor/manicuring instructor (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 5, 2014
Pros: fast paced, fun environment
Cons: there is no job security
The location was not so great on the outside but the school was beautiful on the inside.
Productive and relaxing workplace where beauty is enhanced.
Part-time Esthetician/ Student (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 2, 2014
The time I have spent at Marinello was the most best experience ever. This experience gave me the opportunity to use my skills I was taught on real people. At Marinello I was able to build my clientele, change peoples lives, make people happy, and even enhance the beauty of others. I always felt good leaving at the end of the day. Which made it more exciting to wake up and be able to give my gift to others to make them happy. Its amazing to arch a perfect eyebrow, make the client fall asleep by giving the the best facial and massage, or even getting down to the bottom of a break out in the skin and helping correct the problem at hand, giving them a home care regimen that would help continue their healthy skin journey. And also being rewarded in tips and a bigger clientele. At this facility hard wok pays off and it shows through your clients, they are my walking billboards.
Great
Cosmetologist (Former Employee), Palmdale, CAJune 12, 2014
Provide beauty services for customers. Analyzed hair and determined the appropriate style for customer. Used clippers, scissors, straightening comb and razors to style customer hair after washing and blow-dry. Organize treatment records and future appointments. Perform other beauty services, such as shaping and coloring eyebrows and eyelashes.
Great place to study and work.
Esthetician Retail (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSMay 15, 2014
Pros: great staff, great school
Excellent environment, upbeat, customer oriented.
Good place to perfect mult-tasking.
Most enjoyable part of the job was greeting new customers and building a relationship with them.
Enjoyed boosting sales.
Student at Marinello and CCOC
student (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAMay 6, 2014
I worked at front desk at Marinello School of Beauty through out my session as a student. I learned front desk etiquette. Greeting clients, scheduling appointments. The hardest part of the job was working under loud noise or low staff. But I enjoyed the job, I learned very much, and it was a great experience.
I also worked at Central County Occupational Center through out my session as a student. I had to file, and organize important documents. I learned to use Microsoft, Excel, and Power Point. I also learned to answer phone calls and some accounting duties. I enjoyed every part of it.
Small call center
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Whittier, CAApril 2, 2014
Called potential cosmetology students to retrieve necessary demographic information to give to school recruiter.
Great opportunity to develop your career
Marketing (Former Employee), Whittier, CAMarch 30, 2014
Pros: fast-pace environment
Cons: difficult goals to acheive
Overall, a very nice place to work. The owners of are very hands-on; therefore, employees communicate to C-Level management on a regular basis.
productive, multiple jobs, educational, great learning experience
School Director (Former Employee), Whittier, CAMarch 15, 2014
Overall review working with this company has been very rewarding and educational not just in the workplace but life skills as well
Fun School
Student (Former Employee), Victorville, CAMarch 3, 2014
Pros: my education
Cons: n/a
Very busy. I learned haircutting, coloring, manicures, pedicures, sculptured nails, nail design, gel nails, selling hair care products, product knowledge, facials, waxing, communication and interpersonal skills. I worked with 100+ other students as well as the staff and I made great friendships as well as learning everything I needed to pass state board and more. The hardest part of school was learning and remembering nail diseases. There are so many! The most enjoyable part was getting to do what I love. Haircutting and coloring is my passion.
Productive, fun place to work.
Student Cosmetologist (Former Employee), Moreno Valley, CAOctober 25, 2013
Cooking, cleaning, customer service, and cashier. I learned how to train people, take inventory, run a coffee shop and snack shop. Great environment.
comfortable work environment, bad staff
Receptionist, Word, Excel, Data Entry (Former Employee), Burbank, CAOctober 22, 2013
I enjoyed my time there, but they managed to ruin my whole experience because their staff didn't pay closer attention to the means of the students. They didn't care as much as they promoted that they did. Working there was not a problem, the environment of the staff and the students were the problem. The Marinello staff, not the teachers per say, at the end of the day didn't show any effort to care for the students, and I don't believe in that. The hardest part of the job was to maintain the workload. The staff there are way to overworked. That is why they can't pay attention to the students. The most enjoyable part was the interaction, the relationships made there.
Corrupt
Receptionist (Former Employee), CaliforniaMay 17, 2013
Pros: perks, fun students, creative industry
Cons: bad upper management, unkept promises, students out of control, cheap pay
I was at first excited about working here. The beauty industry is fun, exciting, and constantly changing. Our campus, though, had a horrible director - Never showing up on time (sometimes at all), never communicated to staff, did not appreciate staff, students didn't respect her (and as a result, thought they could run the school), she did not even know what was going on most of the time, and was only concerned about the school on the days that corporate would show up. The instructors were great and very talented, but wanted a stronger leader as a director. The other staff was good, too, but the admissions were only concerned about meeting their numbers instead of the quality of students, so we ended up with alot of students who were disrespectful, not show up to school, and would cause problems. The students who followed the rules didn't get rewarded enough and the students who acted up almost never got in trouble. Don't even try to reach out to upper management, they will ignore you and claim they never got emails or voicemails. Their employees don't matter to them, only numbers. Upper management will promise alot but will never come through. If you are looking for advancement here, don't be fooled, they will just as likely hire someone else outside the company even if you were basically promised the position. The position in general is fun, but with all the other drama, not worth their cheap salary.
Did I mention school is open 8:30am-10:30pm?
School Director (Current Employee), CaliforniaApril 3, 2013
Pros: fun industry, great career advancement opportunities, unstructured management, full benefits
It's such an amazingly dynamic and fun industry to work in, but Marinello has a LONG way to go to hire and retain top talent. Although, there are always people coming and going and great opportunity for advancement - as far as the training you receive upon being promoted? Sink or swim approach, no training provided, figure out as you go.

High turn-over, new faces every day.

Did I mention school is open 8:30am-10:30pm? You might just sleep there and do it all over again the next day. LONG hours and very minimal salary increases (it feels like a joke sometimes to see your paycheck go up by 2 dollars).

It's a great company if you are passionate about the beauty industry and are able to figure out things as you go. School Directors, you'll be EXPECTED and held accountable for admissions, financial aid, education, placement, pass rates, completion, facilities, student services, attrition, compliance, salon budget oh and of course 100+ students (all girls that PMS ALL at the same time) FUN fun fun!