Markel Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

good company
Professional Liability Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) –  richmondOctober 5, 2015
good company to work for, typically a 9-5 position where there is little sales.. Profit focused. Good atmosphere and a fun company to work with.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
not a lot of growth opportunity
Good Stock to own.
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Red Bank,NJAugust 27, 2015
Low pay for industry standards. Prefer to develop young college graduates than to hire (and pay for) experienced underwriters.
Pros
Small Perks- Coffee, Apples, Team Building Events
Cons
Nepotism, Favoritism
Anonymus (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILAugust 5, 2015
Great company culture with understanding management. The team and culture is great. Management, Work life balance is great. The bonus at the end of the year is a plus.
Fast Paced Company
Senior Strategy Analyst (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 17, 2015
Fast paced company with good coworkers. Lousy middle management and politics. Low pay (vs. industry). Benefits are good.
benefits
Cons
low pay and middle management politics
Markel Corp
Senior Underwriter - Professional Liability (Current Employee) –  Red Bank, NJAugust 25, 2014
Markel is a great company to work for. My only complaint is that the responsibilities promised were not delivered. I went from a managerial position to a senior underwriting position because I had to relocate for personal reasons. I was told that marketing and broker relations would be a large part of the position and it turned out not to be.
Pros
great moral
Cons
misrepresentation of job description
QTech
Quality tech (Current Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAAugust 16, 2014
I am a Quality tech at Markel Corp its a great place to work managers are very friendly you can learn a lot and they respect heard workers .
Ceded Reinsurance
Senior Reinsurance Analyst, Placement (Current Employee) –  Red Bank, NJJune 12, 2014
Reinsurance Placement

Challenging work

Changing environmental

Strong interpersonal skills required
Data Entry
Underwriter Support (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, ILJanuary 9, 2014
I worked on applications for business insurances with agents and brokers. I worked in 4 systems and I would have to enter in the data to the correct system, assign to the correct underwriter.
Commercial Insurance
Underwriter; Administrative Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAOctober 11, 2013
Best company I've ever worked for until they reorganized and laid off most of the existing work force, replacing us with younger, college graduates.

Loved being a member of the Markel family before the reorganization. It was truly a family atmosphere to work in. Team work was essential and welcomed. Our producers were the best in the industry and they were like family to us. Built strong, loyal relationships with producers and fellow associates.
Pros
relationsips, travel, salary, bonuses, interesting risks
Cons
reorganization
Could be a good place to work but management makes a difference
Tech (Former Employee) –  Glen allenJune 18, 2013
Markel could have been a great company to work for but the people they choose as supervisor and managers are the worst. They show favortism, treat you unfairly, and seem to be a bit raciest. It could be a good place to work but the supervisors and management makes it hard to wanna be there.
Pros
always have good food
Cons
good benefits
Good employer, profitable company. Worked hard.
Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Red Bank, NJMarch 17, 2013
Everything was great until the unexpected closing my my product line, thus the closing of my department and layoff.
Great Financial Organization
Applications/Technical Manager (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VirginiaFebruary 6, 2013
IT is totally in chaos, and trying to figure out how to best adapt to a fast paced environment to make the business happy.

Not the old Markel.... They have lost their way.
Pros
coffee and decent benefits.
Cons
no comment
Strong business
Business System Analyst/ETL Developer (Former Employee) –  RICHMOND, VAAugust 23, 2012
Good place to work where the business has great direction on its markets.
Pros
business
Cons
many outsiders changing the culture of the company
Excellent Company to work for
Product Regulatory Representative (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJuly 18, 2012
I worked for Markel through a temp agency and it was the best place I have temped for. The employees are nice and make sure you know how to do your assignments.
Very productive and efficient company.
General Office Asistant/Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJune 9, 2012
A typical day included doing a variety of general office duties and multi-tasking. I learned a lot about the clerical support of the company and insurance terminology. The management at Markel is probably the best management I have ever worked for. They were cordial, fair and thought a lot about the welfare of the employees. The co-workers, for the most part, were team oriented and helpful to one another. The hardest part of my job was sometimes having to lift heavy boxes, the most enjoyable was working on the computer and helping people.
Pros
bonuses, parties and other events, contests and incentives. very generous company.
Cons
i really can't think of any cons!

4.2