Market America

Market America Employee Reviews

Interactive, Fun, Energetic, Business/ Sales oriented Active Organization
Unfranchised Business Owner (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 29, 2015
I really enjoy being part of Market America, Its a very Business oriented organization with plenty benefits and high potential income possibilities.
Self Motivating and Empowering
Unfranchise Owner (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCJanuary 29, 2015
I work for myself but not by myself. I work on commission so my salary is dependent on myself. I work with people in person and through social media, educating them on our products and services. I love helping people find solutions to whatever it may be that they need whether it's finding a new lip color, learning how to apply makeup, getting over a cold, losing weight, or finding the best deal on a toaster over. I work with a great team that is always there to help each other out.
Stressful, hostile, toxic environment
Creative (Former Employee), High pointSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: nice pay package
Cons: every man for himself, no one gets to know anyone's name because they will be gone soon, everyone is miserable.
If you are an outside distributor for this company you have a very different view from the inside.
The corporate workforce is severely understaffed because people get fired, give notice and walk out without other jobs every single day. There is NO job security and a stampede for the door at 5pm. No one LIKES working there, most are looking for another job, but they entice you with nice pay package and benefits (that you actually end up paying for yourself). You get 2 weeks paid time off which means 2 weeks of vacation, sick, doctor appointments, anything. Only two weeks. So go to work sick.
The lower staff is great because we are all in the foxhole together. Outside the foxhole, everyone is an enemy.
Middle and upper management are criminal and treat employees as hostages.
Do not work here.
Pretty good if you like crazy
Sr. IT Analyst Developer (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCSeptember 9, 2014
It's a strange mix of work and insanity. If you can handle the drama, you will love it.
Horrible pay, but good people.
Sales Lead (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 15, 2014
Pros: great people and work environment
Cons: horrible payouts, marketing job, based on commission and sales, must meet quotas.
This is a job for anyone who doesn't mind making sales and talking to over 20 people a day to earn a living, otherwise there isnt a way for you to make a single cent here.
I got paid to do things in the company because I knew a couple of good friends in the region, but regular pay depended on how many sales you make a day. I highly recommend you don't work here.

You have many great leaders and sales member that can teach you how to build a stable income, but you have to be very independent and go out and work hard. Thats the only reason why I stayed, I was great at the job, but sometimes it gets rough & I would be stuck not making anything, that means lifestyle turns into a drought until sales go back up.
Hostile Toxic Degrading Work Environment
A Nobody (Current Employee), Greensboro NCMay 20, 2014
Pros: weekly compensation
Cons: work environment, management
The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving the office & trying to forget the degrading abuse & unprofessional personal dramas witnessed at the office.

A hostile micromanaged unprofessional environment where management encourages belittling, name calling, vulgar language, and sabotage is creating a very high employee turnover rate.

The pay is not very good and the benefits are not worth the money taken out of our paychecks. A very hostile dead end job that can not even be mentioned on a resume as experience.

Great opportunity for anyone that just wants a weekly paycheck, enjoys hostile environments, and any chance of success or happiness being sabotaged.
Terrible work conditions - proceed at your own risk.
Creative Design (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: great people below the management level, benefits are decent
Cons: horrible upper management, hostile work environment, overworked
With every professional experience there ups and downs. But my experience at Market America was filled with the latter, as was the case with many of my former colleagues. Within the walls of MA are some amazing people that work daily to make it a positive, successful business. Unfortunately the lack of competence on the part of the owners and the senior management not only ruin any chance this company has for success, but in many instances ends up chasing away talented, quality employees.

I spent several years with Market America and witnessed the good, bad and the ugly. In my professional opinion the company's founders, and to a lesser extent upper management, have no ethical or moral standards and regularly treat employees horribly. Frankly, this is the most unprofessional work environment I have EVER seen. Management will use scare tactics to motivate, and frequently send emails screaming in all caps. They've even resorted to calling employees names while using vulgar language. There are frequent screaming matches in the halls and behind closed doors. And employees are often walking on eggshells not knowing if they are going to be yelled at or even fired at a moments notice. There is no system in place to reward or commend employees for good work, which mostly goes unnoticed. In all, management justifies this internally saying this is how other businesses operate, but those of us that have corporate experience elsewhere know this is not the case.

As for business goals - there are none. You might be working on a project one minute, then get a call from management saying – more... you're doing it wrong and be told to start again from scratch. Management changes their mind every ten minutes. If you like unfinished projects and revolving doors, this is your place. The company is constantly operating from a deficit and working to make good on projects that were supposed to be finished days, months and weeks ago. And that's if you can see past the stack of projects that you haven't had the time to get to.

As a previous post has already mentioned - the majority of good reviews here are from distributors who are shielded from the antics in the corporate building. To them, life is wonderful at MA and the company's founders can do no wrong. But what they don't see are the large amounts of employees that have left the company in recent years because of the terrible work conditions, or those that have been let go for reasons that do not warrant being terminated. What's even more troubling is that most of the those employees have gone to other companies to be superstars.

The one positive about MA is the people you work beside in the trenches. They are some of the most inspiring and talented individuals you will ever meet. In my years at Market America I was blessed to work with some of the greatest friends of my life. They work extremely hard, are pushed to the limit on a daily basis, and for the most part never complain.

Should you choose to accept an offer an MA, do so at your own risk. Do your homework or you could find yourself dusting off your resume just weeks after starting. If someone had told me this ahead of time I'm not sure if I would have been able to believe it, even after seeing it. But this is no exaggeration. Proceed at your own risk. – less
Loved What I Did
Beauty Care Content Specialist (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJanuary 17, 2014
I loved my job. To see a product go from an idea to a tangible thing is really rewarding.
good place to work
Assist customers (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCDecember 21, 2013
Pros: free events
Cons: n/a
Multitasking
personal responsibility
good management
good co-workers
handling system issues
You can go as far as you would like in this company
Shopping Consultant (Current Employee), New London, CTOctober 23, 2013
Great business for anyone with a drive and desire to suceed.
BEFORE YOU TAKE A JOB AT MARKET AMERICA PLEASE READ BELOW
Designer (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCOctober 17, 2013
Pros: good people
Cons: see below
There are a few things you should know before you take the plunge into Market America.

First a lot of the higher star ratings you'll notice are from locations outside the headquarters of Greensboro, NC. These are the companies distributors that are spared all of the internal antics at the corporate office. We call ourselves a One-to-One marketing firm but we are essentially a pyramid scheme. You'll also notice some of them come from New York or Miami. Both locations are home to the owners of the company.

Let me start of with the good.

The People.
You will never make better friends than you will at Market America.
...and thats because you are essentially in the trenches with all of them.

So here's the bad (and I'll try to keep it brief)
The management (for the most part are insane). The business is family run and that would be so bad if the matriarch of the company wasn't certifiably insane, and let me say that I'm being quite literal on my last statement. Mood swings/screaming fits over speaker phones/firings at the drop of a hat. She has it all and expects much, much more. The management around her deal with this behavior by placating her and then turning their malice on the employee. No body will stand up to her unreasonable demands and no one ever will, for the simple fact that if you were to utter one word in contradiction would mean the end of your career there. Not that you'll have one if you work in Creative Services/Motives/Purchasing/Product management/Marketing. If you are considering a job in one of those fields reach out to someone that works in that field. DO – more... THAT BEFORE YOU RELOCATE.

There is a lot more that's wrong. A penny pinching mentality that keeps all requests being signed off by the President. An atmosphere of terror that has most of the work you do back up by a "cover your butt" paperwork trail (Which never really works). People afraid to make a mistake - so all decisions are left to someone else. A general sense of low morale brought on by screaming matches from the executives.

I made it there for many years. I did it by staying under the radar for most of it. I was lucky enough to find another career last week. I felt I owed it to everyone looking into Market America to warn them about this company. Every HR rep I've talked to in Greensboro knows about Market America. They know it's a toxic place to work, they know the morale is incredibly low. This message is for anyone out of state that was contacted to "fill" a position. If your still not swayed by this, I implore you to reach out to someone there. You'll find I'm not wrong. – less
I have sold chemicals for years, including my continued market presence with Alcola Solutions. I am very interested in regaining a Full Time position.
Marketing Director (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNOctober 3, 2013
Pros: individual time management, no one looking over your shoulder every day
Cons: deadlines, product line being limited to future growth
I cold call and prospect daily with a full understanding of deadlines. I am in constant search mode for new and prospective customers along with maintaining my client base. I truly enjoy being a team player with my customers and helping them with their marketing efforts. This is no different than my constant networking approach to selling chemicals.
Meeting people, Made women feel great about themselves
Independent Beauty Consultant (Former Employee), Hudson, NHAugust 26, 2013
Market America is a marketing comany with many different products.
I elected to focus on the makeup line. I could sell any product that the company offered however.

I enjoyed making women see how easy it was to look beautiful with just a small amount of makeup, as well as how easy it was to apply.
I taught them about color, skin tone, cleaning and moisturizing.

The income plan was well thought out. It however had requirements that I felt were not easily obtained.
Property Manager Assistant / Office Assistant (Current Employee), Miami Beach, FLJuly 2, 2013
Casual work environment
Learned new software
Amazing co workers
Different type of company
Manager (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJuly 1, 2013
Pros: other employees are great
Cons: atmosphere is unhealthy
Depends on department you work for . you will do multiple jobs
Easy job. Good pay. Unhealthy environment.
Former Employee (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCApril 24, 2013
Pros: good pay. excellent benefits. coworkers.
Cons: no job security. high turnover. micromanaged. dysfuctional department.
Creative team often wrongly blamed for any roadblocks or mistakes. Leadership at the top of the department consists of tyrants and yes-men, however always available to listen to any issues or concerns. When issues are not resolved or improved, you turn out to be the problem – the complainer. Best thing to do is let it be.

More specifically as part of the advertising team, you will more than likely be overworked as a newbie. Manager appears civil and cooperative on the surface, but abuses her position to preserve power at all costs leaving no fingerprints. Manipulative and threatened by her best employees, will rid of them by co-opting unsuspecting colleagues into hidden agendas. By no means qualified for her position, she is still bright and competent in other areas. A perfect environment has been layed out for her clique which consists of senior staff while the newbies get the brunt of the work.

Persons involved with the political game consume time and resources at the expense of the entire company and poisons working environment. Have seen several of the most talented employees go, affecting other departments. Leadership at the top must not be aloof, must take action and must stay open minded to the ENTIRE TEAM rather than catering to just managers in order to make drastic improvements within the department.

This position is well suited for those who are thick-skinned, do not care to advance in their career and desire a steady paycheck.
Large corporation still run like a family business
Senior Reasearch Analyst, R&D (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCApril 18, 2013
Pros: benefits and pay are generally good. some departments are much better than others.
Cons: lots of drama - you'll never feel secure or even genuinely appreciated. when you are successful, it just puts a target on your back.
I learned and grew while at Market America. They are flexible with schedules and generally family friendly. Sometimes it is a challenge to navigate the internal politics, and there is a significantly high turn over rate for various reasons. It is not a place for everyone, but I was able to succeed within certain areas there.
Demeaning, Hostile, Unprofessional Environment
Former Employee (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: ok benefits and pay
Cons: upper management, hostility, micro-management, high turnover
Research this company to the fullest extent before accepting a position working with upper management. As other reviews indicate it is a very hostile and micro-manged environment. Upper management is dictatorial with profanity and screaming being commonplace and not the exception. Very high turnover for a company of this size and limited opportunity for advancement.
It is upper managements way or the highway. Do your due diligence and research before submitting your application.
Managed staff of 15
Supervisor (Former Employee), Miami Beach, FLFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: great opportunity to learn management strategies
Cons: very long hours 18 hours a day.
Handled all staffing needs, including all hiring of new employees, while developing polices and procedures to improve training programs.
Upper Management are NUTS
Previous employee (Former Employee), GreensboroJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: benefits, pay, co-workers
Cons: uppermananagment, micro-managing, stress and fast paced
Although there are some really fantastic employees that work there, if you are told that you will be working with upper management, run away. They are demeaning, rude, belligerent, and couldn't care less about the "little" people. They treat people like disposable trash. If you aren't working with upper management you should be fine; it can even be a fun place to work. But do not accept a position with upper management, it isn't worth your happiness or sanity

About Market America

Calling itself a cross between Amazon and QVC, Market America is an Internet marketer and broker of products and services from – Read more