Market America Employee Reviews in United States

Nepotism, superficial, and verbally abusive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 3, 2015
A place where upper management terrorizes employees by calling them "F--king morons!" and all conversations are peppered with an ignorant-sounding line of expletives. This reflects the attitude toward people with education, where degrees are mocked and degraded in attempts to promote life learning similar to what you would see in a mafia movie. Weekly paychecks and benefits are enough to entice someone to accept a position, but physical and mental health decline at a rate where most humane people burn out by their 5th year, becoming unable to function in another career due to being shell shocked.
Pros
Reliably paid weekly and benefits.
Cons
Abuse, no room for advancement.
Market America
Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 15, 2015
My experience was not positive. The culture is one of leadership by intimidation. Compensation and benefits are good. There were lots of opportunity to be creative. But, the environment is not a professional one.
Incredible Business Opportunity
Business Partner and Franchise owner (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 4, 2016
-Getting paid to make friends makes for simple, fun work
-Growing as a leader and improving myself everyday helps with all aspects of life, especially in business
-Great group of individuals always willing to help you in any way possible. Promoting an environment where mistakes are not reprimanded, which helps facilitate and expedite a learning/growing environment. If mistakes aren't made and learned from, there can never be growth.
-The hardest part of this business is getting past your own head and realizing the potential that you have, and not wasting it by being complacent
Pros
people, personal growth, financial compenstation
Cons
Great place to learn, challenging environment
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 29, 2016
Market America is a great place to learn and grow your skills and experience. You can pretty much take on as much responsibility as you want. It is up to you how well you do here. The people you get to work with are really great and helpful for the most part. The biggest downfall is the treatment of employees from some members of the management team. It can be a toxic place to work.
Excellent Work/Life Balance company to partner with.
UnFranchise Owner/Entrepreneur (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 19, 2016
The culture of this company is very positive. I enjoy going to the conferences, meetings and knowledge based trainings. The growth process within the company is very individually based. You put in the time and your growth will happen. I absolutely enjoy the comaraderie.
Pros
Great Products, Excellent Positive Energy
Cons
Immediate Leadership needs further training in managing their teams.
Fantastic company, excellent teamwork, products/services and customer services
Shop Consultant, Distributor (Current Employee) –  Seaford, DEApril 25, 2016
I set the pace and run my franchise to fit my lifestyle. I enjoy helping people find the products best for them and save money doing it. The entire business is based on excellent customer service and teamwork of the entire business organization. I have learned effective communication skills
Pros
distributor discounts, great teamwork, fun conventions, excellent products, work at own pace
Good place to start
Distributor Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 19, 2015
This company is for someone who never worked at a call center before. They start you off ok, but if you are experienced they do not compensate you enough. The benefits are horrible too.
I work with People which I love .... Help them with their health needs
FRANCHISE OWNER & OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, INJune 1, 2016
We help people find the right things that will help with their weight and vitimins needs ... It's really rewarding but a, looking to reach out to more people on a day to day bases.
Pros
Work part time
Cons
pay
Stressful, hostile, toxic environment
Creative (Former Employee) –  High pointSeptember 10, 2014
If you are an outside distributor for this company you have a very different view from the inside.
The corporate workforce is severely understaffed because people get fired, give notice and walk out without other jobs every single day. There is NO job security and a stampede for the door at 5pm. No one LIKES working there, most are looking for another job, but they entice you with nice pay package and benefits (that you actually end up paying for yourself). You get 2 weeks paid time off which means 2 weeks of vacation, sick, doctor appointments, anything. Only two weeks. So go to work sick.
The lower staff is great because we are all in the foxhole together. Outside the foxhole, everyone is an enemy.
Middle and upper management are criminal and treat employees as hostages.
Do not work here.
Pros
nice pay package
Cons
every man for himself, no one gets to know anyone's name because they will be gone soon, everyone is miserable.
shop.com
unfranchised consultant (Current Employee) –  Mineral Ridge, OHMay 30, 2016
It is a company that converts spending into earning. Make money buying things you already buy daily. earning cash back and also commission checks/ bonuses.
Hostile Toxic Degrading Work Environment
A Nobody (Current Employee) –  Greensboro NCMay 20, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving the office & trying to forget the degrading abuse & unprofessional personal dramas witnessed at the office.

A hostile micromanaged unprofessional environment where management encourages belittling, name calling, vulgar language, and sabotage is creating a very high employee turnover rate.

The pay is not very good and the benefits are not worth the money taken out of our paychecks. A very hostile dead end job that can not even be mentioned on a resume as experience.

Great opportunity for anyone that just wants a weekly paycheck, enjoys hostile environments, and any chance of success or happiness being sabotaged.
Pros
weekly compensation
Cons
work environment, management
Demeaning, Hostile, Unprofessional Environment
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 5, 2013
Research this company to the fullest extent before accepting a position working with upper management. As other reviews indicate it is a very hostile and micro-manged environment. Upper management is dictatorial with profanity and screaming being commonplace and not the exception. Very high turnover for a company of this size and limited opportunity for advancement.
It is upper managements way or the highway. Do your due diligence and research before submitting your application.
Pros
ok benefits and pay
Cons
upper management, hostility, micro-management, high turnover
Self Motivating and Empowering
Unfranchise Owner (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 29, 2015
I work for myself but not by myself. I work on commission so my salary is dependent on myself. I work with people in person and through social media, educating them on our products and services. I love helping people find solutions to whatever it may be that they need whether it's finding a new lip color, learning how to apply makeup, getting over a cold, losing weight, or finding the best deal on a toaster over. I work with a great team that is always there to help each other out.
Professional Enviroment,
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXMarch 18, 2016
What i do really simple I consultant my customer how to be more healthy and what should they intake. Everybody get along and work together to create team work.
Large corporation still run like a family business
Senior Reasearch Analyst, R&D (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 18, 2013
I learned and grew while at Market America. They are flexible with schedules and generally family friendly. Sometimes it is a challenge to navigate the internal politics, and there is a significantly high turn over rate for various reasons. It is not a place for everyone, but I was able to succeed within certain areas there.
Pros
benefits and pay are generally good. some departments are much better than others.
Cons
lots of drama - you'll never feel secure or even genuinely appreciated. when you are successful, it just puts a target on your back.
Fast-paced and multi-faceted work environment
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 7, 2012
A typical day includes inter-department communication to get marketing initiatives, product development, e-commerce, and content approved and lined up for launches or specials.

Although I love my department and immediate supervisors, upper management are very demanding and quick to anger.

Juggling spur-of-the-moment demands and deadlines can prove very challenging to meeting a launch date and implementing improved initiatives.
Pros
benefits, 401k, vision, dental
Cons
no breaks, limited lunch, 10-14 hour days, high turnover
Upper Management are NUTS
Previous employee (Former Employee) –  GreensboroJanuary 25, 2013
Although there are some really fantastic employees that work there, if you are told that you will be working with upper management, run away. They are demeaning, rude, belligerent, and couldn't care less about the "little" people. They treat people like disposable trash. If you aren't working with upper management you should be fine; it can even be a fun place to work. But do not accept a position with upper management, it isn't worth your happiness or sanity
Pros
benefits, pay, co-workers
Cons
uppermananagment, micro-managing, stress and fast paced
Interactive, Fun, Energetic, Business/ Sales oriented Active Organization
Unfranchised Business Owner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2015
I really enjoy being part of Market America, Its a very Business oriented organization with plenty benefits and high potential income possibilities.
Fast-paced work environment
Computer Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 24, 2012
The job is very fast paced and you are required to learn a lot in a short amount of time. Co-workers are friendly. Managers should give more positive feedback than criticism 90% of the time. Having a degree does not get you a raise. Internal possibilities are rare. I love my benefits and the ability to get products at employee prices.
Pros
excellent benefits, fun work environment at times
Cons
internal opportunities limited, underpaid
Easy job. Good pay. Unhealthy environment.
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 24, 2013
Creative team often wrongly blamed for any roadblocks or mistakes. Leadership at the top of the department consists of tyrants and yes-men, however always available to listen to any issues or concerns. When issues are not resolved or improved, you turn out to be the problem – the complainer. Best thing to do is let it be.

More specifically as part of the advertising team, you will more than likely be overworked as a newbie. Manager appears civil and cooperative on the surface, but abuses her position to preserve power at all costs leaving no fingerprints. Manipulative and threatened by her best employees, will rid of them by co-opting unsuspecting colleagues into hidden agendas. By no means qualified for her position, she is still bright and competent in other areas. A perfect environment has been layed out for her clique which consists of senior staff while the newbies get the brunt of the work.

Persons involved with the political game consume time and resources at the expense of the entire company and poisons working environment. Have seen several of the most talented employees go, affecting other departments. Leadership at the top must not be aloof, must take action and must stay open minded to the ENTIRE TEAM rather than catering to just managers in order to make drastic improvements within the department.

This position is well suited for those who are thick-skinned, do not care to advance in their career and desire a steady paycheck.
Pros
good pay. excellent benefits. coworkers.
Cons
no job security. high turnover. micromanaged. dysfuctional department.