Market Basket Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent company for individuals starting a career in customer service.
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MAOctober 18, 2015
Market Basket is an excellent company to work for if you are looking to obtain a strong foundation in customer service. They offer annual raises and bonuses and have customer service as their top priority. Opportunities are available to advance within a part-time capacity and they have a low turnover, particularly in management and full-time staff. Managers are changed every 1-2 years and this will provide employees with exposure to many different styles of management. Employees are friendly and the culture is extremely collaborative.
Pros
Customer service oriented, opportunities for training, and a structured management system.
Cons
Opportunities for advancement are typically part-time.
An enjoyable and productive company with amazing staff
Produce Clerk & Stocker; Cashier & Bagger (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAApril 5, 2016
Market Basket was a very pleasant environment. Co-workers were very kind and managers were very fair but firm and understanding. The labor was fairly easy, and simple. I always kept busy whether it was stalking the produce or cleaning. There was a large amount of customers. I mostly worked in the cooler, organizing and using heavy machinery, such as a an electrical power jack or standing forklift to place products in their proper place. When I wasn't in the cooler, I would be out on the sales floor, filling in product using the FIFO procedure and breaking down aisles to make them appear more full. The hardest part of the job would be conversing with an upset customer, but the most enjoyable part of the job was the crew I worked with. They made the day go by faster.
Pros
Amazing staff and management
Cons
Upset customers
Market Basket is a great place to work .
Meat Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Nederland, TXMarch 10, 2016
Market Basket is a great place to work , Just needs more experienced help and more competitive compensation .I beleive they could learn alot from employees if they would ask there opinion on how to make them a better place to work ...
Pros
Family oriented
Cons
compensation
Productive and friendly work place
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  West Bridgewater, MA 02379March 25, 2016
My typical day at work is about nine hours long with an hour lunch break. I organize all of the meat loads, rotate the chicken case, organize and rotate all product, and interact with customers all day long. I have learned how to correctly use chemicals, price chicken, have a flexible work schedule, etc. My management expects proficiency and accuracy. I am quick on my feet and enjoy have people to work with. My co-workers and I treat each other with respect. The hardest part of my job is doing my best when other co-workers do not keep up their end of the job.
Pros
Having consistent hours, working with others, being around people
Cons
Healthcare, unable to get more hours
Not Impressive Management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHFebruary 9, 2016
Working at Market Basket started out great! It had a great pay, great hours, and an easy task. I learned how to use a cash register and work with strangers. I loved helping people find what they needed and on break there was always food to eat close by. Once mangers changed and the assistant mangers were younger and less experienced than me, work was not as enjoyable to be at. The managers and assistant mangers were unprofessional, using cursing words, unfair treatment and careless behavior to employees. I was scheduled on days where I took the day off for vacation weeks before. Soon more and more young kids even 14 year old kids came through and I was left with little to no hours, and no promotion even after almost 15 months of work there. Conclusively, I left due to lack of hours and comfort.
Pros
Great pay, easy tasks
Cons
Unprofessional managers, little to no hours
Good first job
Bagger (Former Employee) –  Merrimack, NHAugust 15, 2016
I would typically bag groceries and alternate to retrieving shopping carts from the parking lot for 5-7 hours 6 days a week. I learned to always strive to be the best employee i could be in my time here, i learned proper customer service, and efficiency in what was asked of me. Management was stricter and meticulously critical at first but it taught it what i can do to be a better employee anywhere and that there is always room for improvement. Once I was accustomed to these habits, I learned to appreciate constructive criticism and use it to advance my employee status. My Co-Workers were respectful, friendly, and most of all committed to creating a greater better experience for customers and employees alike. The hardest part of the job was limited hours and management's treatment of people.
Pros
Teaches how to be a good employee
Cons
Dress code, limited hours
Very routine but a good first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NHAugust 12, 2016
I was a cashier, so that was all I did at Market Basket. Management was great. I loved my managers. As far as coworkers, it was difficult to socialize and get to know them. I only knew my baggers but not very well since we weren't supposed to talk to them, only to the customers. The hardest part was how long the days dragged on. Since you're standing in the same spot all day doing the same motions over and over again, the days seem pretty long. My favorite part was how tight knit of a community/family we all were. Even though you didnt get the opportunity to get to know your coworkers or get to know your customers because you saw so many in a day, everyone still stuck by one another and worked together as a team.
Pros
Easy, value their customers
Cons
Too routine
Easy going work place
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Athol, MAFebruary 4, 2016
As a cashier you just come in and do your best to keep customers happy and go through transactions. The management is really nice there and they really care about their employees
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
A lot of standing
Unpredictable work space
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAFebruary 16, 2016
A typical day at market basket can get pretty hectic. With this job I learned how too handle things under extreme pressure. I was too happy with this management because managers were always being transferred in and out. My front end co workers were pretty nice. I although enjoyed being around the older ones instead of the high school kids. The hardest part of my job was constantly having too pick up what other lacked. I always wanted to work alone because I was constantly being left with doing most of the work anyways.
Pros
great hours
Cons
short breaks
Cashier
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAJune 21, 2016
Being a cashier at Market Basket had it's pros and cons. Market Basket is a GREAT company to work for, especially as your first job. However, being a cashier is not very enjoyable. Standing on your feet for 5+ hours in one spot doing the same repetitive thing gets old and tiring really quickly. Some of the customers are very rude but you must of course be hospitable and provide to their needs. The co-workers are great! That has to be the best part about the job, everyones so nice and friendly and willing to help one another out. Management is great, all the assistants are cool and the managers are very nice and helpful. Being a cashier sucks, so if you are going to work at Market Basket, I suggest not working in checkout.
very good company to work for
stocking and package help (Former Employee) –  Many, LAJune 1, 2016
I kept myself busy every day with new strategies to accomplish. i learned how to operate pallet jack,learned some experience on cash register, some experience in produce.Last I was being trained for was closing manager fun experience i do agree with. I mainly stocked grocery and frozen items. Management was excellent,great people.I got along with all my co-workers, some were unproductive but manageable. hardest part of the job was moving up but only way to succeed is to learn more,not a problem with me willing to learn more as i go. the most enjoyable part of the day was showing up to work cause it kept me busy and happy to enjoy life among all customers and employees.
Fast past and engaging with a lot of new people.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Claremont, NHMay 10, 2016
My typical work day ranges from a 8 hour shift to a 10 hour shift some days. On a daily basis, I help to manage the front end to ensure everyone, especially the customers, have everything they need. As for my coworkers, there's always those small problems between one another, but by building strength and working as a team, it creates a tighter bond between the workers. The hardest part of my job is trying to lead a group of people who don't respect me because of my position and my age. Lastly, the most enjoyable part of my day, is being able to connect with different people and know that simply by helping someone or flashing a smile, you can make someones day better.
Pros
good hours
Cons
short breaks
Good and clean
Cashier Assistance/Stock (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAApril 3, 2016
It was good working there, but sad part is that management around the store. what i learn is that you don't put the hundred dollars under the cashier. Coworkers were okay, hardest part is finding items for the store. Most enjoyable part is talking to co works to keep stress away.
Pros
walking distance, clean enviroment
Cons
management
Ugly on the Inside
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAMay 2, 2016
As a customer, Market Basket treats you exceedingly well. I believe their prices are agreeable, and the managers/owners will be kind and friendly to you.

However, as an employee of four years that has since left the company, I can say from sheer experience that Market Basket's treatment of its employees is far from commendable. They are very inconsistent and inflexible when it comes to scheduling, and overall treat you like a disposable service.

It's quite sad, considering that their presence in the community is rather positive.
Pros
Co-workers are mostly friendly and fun to interact with
Cons
Poor management (Top-down communication...etc.)
Great first job
Bagger/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAJune 25, 2016
Typical day of Market Basket was simple, ring in customers food and bag them, and also retrieve carriages from the parking lot. Since I improved my work, I got to do maintenance things around the store instead of bag all day such as empty trash, empty bottle and can return machines, mop floors, clean restrooms, etc. Management was up and down, there were good and bad managers throughout the store; same goes with co-workers. Hardest part of the job was customers complaining. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with friends.
The company offered great benefits and excellent advancement opportunities.
DELI ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHDecember 10, 2015
My favorite part of my job was becoming an assistant manager and helping customers in a fast paced environment. The hardest part was prolonged time spent in the deli freezer. Management was always friendly and helpful. The owner of the company regularly visited all his stores and knew each employee by name. It was a wonderful chapter in my life with many fond memories but my husband, children and I decided to move to Colorado to be closer to family and start a new life. My goal is to find a similar company that gives me the best opportunity to provide for my family while loving what I do each day.
Pros
Excellent Bonuses and Pension Plan
The brake room
Cashier/Bagger (Current Employee) –  North Andover, MAApril 5, 2016
When I attend to work, it's always the busiest day of all, the always schedule me the day the is more busy because I like to keep myself busy most of the time. When I get to work I always learn something new, how to manage my communication skills, and the way how to deal with issues. My manager are really respectful, and every day they look at out uniform. Some co-worker are really nice and other the are really mean, who give attitude to customer and Market Basket is where it is because of customers. There is nothing hard about this job because I learn really fast and I try to to the best I can, If I don't how what I am doing I will ask one of the assignment managers or one of my manager who are really helpful.
Bad Management
Sacker, Stocker, Cashier, Custodian. (Former Employee) –  Winnie, TXFebruary 21, 2016
This may be with all places, but I had to adamantly remind them about my application and surprisingly my father had to talk to them for them to finally look at my application. They're known for shoving all applications they get under a desk and not taking a look at them again.
I was working part time with 40hours a week after a month, but was never changed to full time. They knew how hard I worked and took advantage of it, even giving me extra jobs(I even ran to the restaurant next door to pick up an ice cream for my manager) and had me managing my co-workers even though that was their job. They DO NOT reward hard work but THEY WILL take advantage of it. Anytime there was a spill or a mess then I would be called on and being the only one sacking groceries would often times have me leave the checker alone.

The managers I had were immature and kept picking at his fellow employers, even calling them names and take it personal if you speak back and add to your work load.

Customers would also complain to me about some of my rude co-workers, but there wasn't anything I could do about it and the Head Manager's either blind or so desperate for people that he doesn't take action on them.

Some of my co-workers would get "smoke breaks" although that seems to be a thing on every job and others would HIDE and say they're taking one, just so they didn't have to work; especially on the large orders.
Pros
New workers have higher starting pays for some reason, Cashiers work well with you, May get more hours than you're supposed to
Cons
Terrible Management, Small town so it's overpriced and customers complain to you, NO job benefits, Hard to get hired without knowing someone, Good workers will work alone, No extra pay for extra work
love!
associate (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHMay 23, 2016
I loved working at market basked. a typical day really depended on the department you are in. ive learned everything from cashiering and bagging to produce and grocery clerk and even being an assistant manager. my co-workers were amazing. the hardest part of my job was not being full time. the most enjoyable part was how you know exactly what to expect everyday, the same routine.
I do love how much the company is like a family, and even know that im not employed with them im still treated like a family member.
Pros
family, overtime, coworkers
Cons
hard to get full time
Good first job but has it downsides
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, MAJune 23, 2016
The management treats you like you are all uneducated no matter how educated you actually are. You "get punished" for taking time off and are then given the shifts to close thursday, friday, and saturday. The schedules are still handwritten and put out saturday. If you are not scheduled Saturday you have to go in anyway to check if you are working sunday. You weren't able to have water at your station and had short breaks if any and one,y have 4 hours.
Cons
Short breaks, little pay, no respect