Market Basket Employee Reviews

Typical day
Produce (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 29, 2015
Typical day I would go in and set up, at times I felt as if I was the only one truly working at a decent pace and not slacking. Management was not where it was when I was hired, there was a manager change.
Pros
Near my house
Cons
Not full time
Theories are great, but only if they are put into practice
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHAugust 29, 2015
Great philosophy of Arthur T Demoulas is not reflected in his stores. He and his higher managers respect their associates very much, but lower level managers are very rough around the edges and are promoted solely based on tenure rather than merit. Expect to work extremely hard, get far less recognition than you deserve and stay stagnet in a position for a long time.
Pros
fair wage
Cons
hard driving managers. alcohol consumption on the job
poor moral and management
Receivier, Scanning Coord, Inventory, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAAugust 28, 2015
This company will work you as hard as they can with as little compensation as they can give you.In one day, I practically ran my store and no one ever deemed it fit to give even a thank you. one month, I was scheduled for 13, 14, and 15 hour shifts because management ran the workers off.

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND.
Pros
401k if over 21
Cons
short breaks, low company moral, low pay
Fast paced running
Assistant Bakery Manager (Current Employee) –  Plaistow, NHAugust 28, 2015
Working for Market Basket can be trying but rewarding all at the same time. A typical day starts out with checking for mail in the office then making a quick stock of your department on the way into it so that you have a general idea as to where to begin greet the rest of the staff as you walk into the department and make sure all is well with them. read the mail to see if there is anything that needs immediate attention and start working on making the floor look presentable before it starts to get busy. once the floor is done do some packaging to make sure all holes are filled then work in the freezer organizing and getting your order ready for data entry. at 10am go and enter order into the system. when done with that check the floor to make sure there are no holes before the load gets delivered. When the load arrives pull the load up from receiving and check to make sure all that was ordered was delivered sign off on it and help put it away make sure everyone that needs a break has one and start lunches. Through out the afternoon help customers and stock the floor as well as do any cleaning that needs to be done. Also check the mail again in the afternoon to make sure there isn't any priority memos that need attention and do any paperwork that may need to be done. the key to this job and any other job is to love what you do because if you love what you do you won't ever consider your job work. Management is very hands on and constantly has input in everything you do which can be trying when you are trying to get things done and they constantly want to change things  more... around. Co-workers can be either fun it just depends on the day and their personality we all tend to get along but we have our moments as well. The hardest part of my job is the constant interruptions, I find that I get more done when less people are around because I don't have to constantly stop what I'm doing to deal with something else. The most enjoyable part of my job is the sense of accomplishment from doing a hard days work and helping the customers.  less
Pros
your constantly meeting new people
Cons
a lot of heavy lifting
Keeps you busy
❸ Customer service (Former Employee) –  Lowell MaAugust 19, 2015
Fun exciting job. i learned how to keep up with customers orders while multi tasking and helping coworkers at the same time. great first job.
Fun workplace opens one up to a lot of information about the stock
Produce stocker (Current Employee) –  Fitchburg,MaAugust 14, 2015
A typical day at work for me is I clean the grape and berries case, put out the grapes and berries and then go in the back and bring the banana pallet out onto the floor. Management is great and very lenient. The hardest part of the job is definitely the long hours on your feet, you have to make sure that you have the correct shoe wear or else you will be feeling it the next day.
fast paced, always busy day at work
Dairy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bellingham,MAAugust 10, 2015
Relaxed and not demanding work. All though some days did get a little stressful because of lack of others work. Management was excellent.
Market Basket Deli
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHAugust 10, 2015
Working at Market Basket is an experience in working for a company that actually cares about their employees and customers. Part-time employees actually receive bonuses and receive regular raises. I learned a lot about team work and how to handle customers.
Wonderful people to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MaineAugust 4, 2015
Market Basket was a nice place to work, I loved working with the costumers, seeing all the regulars come in and having a nice conversation with them made my day. But, the reason I left was because, of the big strike they went on and I couldn't afford to go that long without work.
Pros
the people
Cons
short - no breaks at all.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Somerville, MAAugust 2, 2015
Arriving on time and being polite to all my co-workers
I learned to be more responsible and put a lot of work intow what i do.
My managers have been satisfied with my work.
My co-workers have been very respectful and polite.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when i finish work and see that I did a good job.
Awesome Company to work for
Front End Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seabrook, NHJuly 27, 2015
This is an awesome family orientated company to work for. Good Pay with awesome bonuses. Can be a little drama with the younger employees. But loved working here and could make a wonderful career if thats the route you want to take.
Pros
Management, compensations
Cons
I was the best. Please Call Manager to confirm. Anyone they really they will tell you
Head Stocker (Former Employee) –  Epping, NHJuly 27, 2015
I would stock, rotate, delegate, clean equipment, Cut roast into peaces i could fit into grinder, make burgers , reduce short coded items, run the shift after the manager left, Make sure my guys took they breaks , worked properly (rotating and maintaining load limits).
My Manager was brutal and he made me the best, directly by working with me one on one and forcing me to maintaining a fast and accurate pace and indirectly by training others this way and having me work with them. I aspired to be like one of my co-workers. He was really the best employee my department had i learned more from him than anyone else. He taught me to walk with purpose, and to work with intent. These lessons have stuck with me and stayed in my head to make me a better employee then i ever could of been with out him. I had never worked so hard for anything in my life like i did for the promotion. Now I dont have the experience cutting like we would like me to but if you will take a shot with me you wont be disappointed.
Pros
Made me a better employee
Cons
I was over look for the apprenticeship, and constantly told i would get it
Decent first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJuly 26, 2015
Busy and diverse enviroment
Hours were very short and inconsistent because of the poor management
not a lot of oppurtunities to progress or improve
I enjoyed being able to interact with the customers
built my customer service skills
Job Security, some good managers
Meat Department (Former Employee) –  Middleton, MAJuly 22, 2015
Most managers at Market Basket hate their lives. That doesn't apply to all, but some are very miserable, and make the lives for the part timers much more difficult than it needs to be.
Pros
Good Mangers at my location, cant say the same for other stores.
Cons
starting out at minimum wage isn't easy.
Market Basket
Kitchen Clerk (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHJuly 20, 2015
I get payed well and know that ill always have a job. Management of single departments are quite self centered and more worried about there little posses in my opinion ( at least with the females). give bonuses after a year of employment whether your full time or part time. affordable health care benefits package.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
drama
Flexible place to work at
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chelsea, MAJuly 17, 2015
When I get to work I go to a manager who sends me to a specific register. where i ring out people's groceries. In this job I learned how to be really patient with people and also how to manage my time accordingly. Most of my co-workers are really nice and hard working people always willing to help out. The hardest part of this job is keeping up with the many rules they come up with and dealing with rude costumers. The most enjoyable part of this job is that I get to interact with different people and also that its a flexible place to work at.
Pros
Flexible, pays good
Cons
Too many unnecessary rules
my day
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, N.H.July 16, 2015
my day starts by going in and balance the money from the office and the front-end for the prior days business. Then, it is answering phones, selling lottery, money order sales, cashing checks, handling returned checks from the bank, taking care of our OSHA files making sure they are up to do.

I like to treat the young ladies and gentlemen that work with me as a family. They all know I will be there for them but when I have to hand out reprimands I can and will do it.

The hardest part of my job is writing up one of my fellow workers in the Office....

The best part of my job is seeing these young men and woman who come to work for me and I get to help expand their minds.
family oriented company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  NHJuly 15, 2015
work hours range from 6AM-10PM depending on position,

family oriented work atmosphere, if you work at it you can advance to a fairly good position.
management is fair. co-workers; clicky, very young aged so being an mid-aged employee you may feel back in high school.
Pros
customers
Cons
pay, benefits
Poor quality management
Greenhouse staff (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJuly 8, 2015
A typical day at work involved unloading shipments, placing new product, creating displays and customer service.

I learned a lot about plants and flowers.
Pros
customer service and co workers
Cons
Poor management
.... ......
Dairy Clerk, Bagger, Produce Clerk, Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Warner, NH /Concord, NH / Claremont, NHJuly 5, 2015
soul sapping, and the political / corporate crud that goes on is annoying. they shaft those that work on sundays (if you somehow find yourself over 40 hrs you'll see the 'theft' when it comes to your paycheck
Cons
hour restrictions, hourly pay piracy