Market of Choice

Market of Choice Employee Reviews

Very fun first job
Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee), Corvallis, ORMay 25, 2015
I learned a lot from this job. I worked in the kitchen and the great thing about it was that every day was something new and different. The employees were great and the management was respectable. My only gripes would be zero benefits for being an employee and they are very strict.
High stress job with good benefits
Kitchen Clerk (Current Employee), Beaverton, ORMay 15, 2015
Pros: Health benefits, fun work environment
Cons: Inflexible hours, poor management, rocky job security, overly conservative
This company doesn't know how to treat it's employees. Like many grocery stores they run their good employees into the ground while hanging on to terrible ones (ie: ones that don't pull their own weight, offensive/abrasive ones, ect.). The hours aren't flexible. They don't tell you your schedule until a week in advance, any time off must have management approval two weeks in advance.

Their tardy system is absolute rubbish. For example, if you were to be late 2 hours on an 8 hour shift (for whatever reason) you would get more occurrences than if you had called out for the entire day. Meaning: If you had called out completely (thus abandoning your coworkers) you would have gotten in less trouble than actually trying to go to work.

If you have any piercings, "unnatural" colored hair, or facial hair that you want to keep do NOT apply. This is a very conservative company that has zero tolerance.

The work environment is fast paced and high energy. If you have good coworkers the job can be very enjoyable.
Fun place to work, management is not is not very organized
Volunteer (Former Employee), Eugene, ORMay 5, 2015
Pros: Gift cards, fun people
Cons: raises, management
Management needs to be more organized, other than that a very nice, clean, place to work.
Fun place to be during holidays, not fun to work when management doesn't do as promised.
Sometimes hard to request days off.
Mismanaged
Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee), Ashland, ORMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits, 401k
Cons: Short breaks, not understanding, strict
I am really a fair person but to me this was one of the worst places I have worked. The department favoritism, abuse of overtime laws and disrespect that this corporation puts on their employees is absolutely unethical. To start the day, you clock it not more than 3 mins early or 3 mins late or you get an occurrence. 7 and your put up for review and most often fired. Then you go to the kitchen and locate the chart with the item you will be in charge of during your shift. At 8 o clock you start to wind down and start closing the salad bar and hot bar. The problem with this is you can't turn a customer away according to policy but legally after the food is cooled we can't serve it. So while trying to balance your task and helping other people with theirs and serving customers we are expected to tag in and out while doing all of the days and nights dishes in the back. The crew of people is 4 people on a good day and 3 most of the time and there is no night management or PIC. The hardest part of the job is feeling overworked and Under appreciated. What I learned from this experience is that if you actively have concerns or issues with what is going on you need to express how you are feeling in an adult professional way. The best part about this experience were the people I met. I had an amazing, inviting kitchen manager and still hang out and meet up with some of the other kitchen crew. The most enjoyable part of the work itself was dealing with nice customers who often times were very understanding and impressed by what we did.
Horrible work environment/ Management sucks !!!!
ASSISTANT KITCHEN M ANAGER (Current Employee), Ashland, OROctober 8, 2014
This place sucks to work at and most of the employees are miserable. Management is out to punish the employees and make it a uncomfortable place to work. Turnover is out of this world and that is because no one gets proper training and management is constantly cracking the whip. If you have a choice do not apply or accept employment there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Excellent Growing Local Company
Human Resourses Assistant (Current Employee), Eugene, ORAugust 1, 2014
Pros: consistent and fair employer with growth opportunity
I started with company and quickly found there was opportunity, I have been with the company for well over 8 years now and have worked at several of it's stores locations. I have worked for several of the Store Managers and they all seem to be like minded with the companies mission statement. I have even met the owners and they are quite nice people who took the time to ask me a few questions about myself.The co-workers are genuinely pleasant people, there isn't the negative impact reflected by the crew as there was when I worked previously for the other grocery competitors. There are very few negative things I have encountered, the most standout being that some employees do not like the attendance policy, but in fairness it has never negatively affected me. I am definitely considering a career with Market of Choice, they have proven to be a loyal employer to me and I have reached the pay level and vacation time I expect. So I am quite happy with my employment experience with Market of Choice.
Great company, wonderful people, chance to advance, Great benefits.
Bulk Food Manager (Current Employee), Eugene, ORAugust 1, 2014
Pros: benefits are awesome.
Cons: not enough help in the department
MOC is a family environment. Fun people to work with and hard working people that know what it takes to bust out and get the job done. Hard job but the people that i work with makes it worth the hard days. The hardest part of the job would be about 1% of the customers that aren't very friendly and take it out on you. I learn about so many different types of food and the benefits of those products.
Family owned company/feel with corporate type benefits
Human Resources (Current Employee), Eugene, ORAugust 1, 2014
Pros: benefits, local, family owned, good wages, forward thinking
I have been with the company for almost 7 years and plan to continue my career with Market of Choice.
It is a very forward thinking company that cares about their employees and the community they are in. The owners know that what they give to the employees, they will get back and it creates an enjoyable work experience.
Every job has it's ups and downs, but in the overall scheme of things, if you are looking for a long term position with a stable company, with room for growth, then it would be hard to find a better one in Oregon.
Pretty good enviorment
Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee), Corvallis, ORApril 27, 2014
Pros: great management
Cons: random hours
Pretty good place to work and start out at. Its also a very great place to shop.
Ok work environment, awesome coworkers
Kitchen Clerk (Current Employee), Portland, ORMarch 12, 2014
Pros: awesome coworkers, cool customers
Cons: managerment, hours
Slow store with a lot of time to complete tasks, really great coworkers. Management is overall not supportive, and definitely critical. It's kind of a boys club. I've had pretty good experience asking for time off, but the tardy system is kind of hard to work with. The compensation is definitely fair, but there isn't a lot of growth. Get some really great customers, and it's definitely a family environment.
Great Environment
Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee), Eugene, ORMarch 8, 2014
Enjoyed interacting with people and providing customer service.
Horrible company to work for.
Lead Barista (Former Employee), Portland, OROctober 10, 2013
Pros: in is ok
Cons: always watching what you're doing....cameras around
Probably the worst company I have worked for...Big brother always
watching you..No discount as most stores give their employees. Lots of turnover
slow but good store
Meat Cutter (Current Employee), Portland, ORAugust 17, 2013
Pros: good people to work with, willing to work with your schedual
Cons: health care, management
fairly slow store, lots of time to complete tasks, in a good part of town.
Mostly fun but also very controlling and limiting.
kitchen, front end. (Former Employee), West Linn, ORJune 13, 2013
Pros: xmas bonuses for store only.
Cons: short breaks. no employee discounts.
Most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers. I learned that no matter how much experience you have from working at the store, one wrong mistake and your out. No sick days and no consideration for planned days off if someone calls in sick. Most of my co-workers were fun to work with and were flexible in being part of a team.
Relaxing Environment
Baker/Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Cottage Grove, ORFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: never a dull moment
Cons: u
At the time it was a very fast paced environment (in my department) I learned a lot about grocery, too much to list!! Management was kind and caring, very understanding too. My co workers were amazing, Market of Choice took their time hiring most of the employees! Hardest part of any grocery store position is customers when they're upset! On the flip side, the best part is the customers.
Corvallis Market of Choice
Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee), Corvallis, OregonFebruary 10, 2013
Pros: beautiful place to work at. brand new.
Cons: everything except the pay they started me at but i was an exception to the rule.
I was able to negotiate my pay on a phone interview that was very good. When sales weren't as high as they forecasted, with opening a new store, they looked to me to fire me so they could save the most money. I was excited about the benefits so I went to the doctor because I had been sick a lot and had extra blood work done to check for Vitamin D deficiency, I got tons of bills for $125 and now owe back bills. I guess they didn't explain you have to meet a deductible. They have a very strict tardy/call out policy which I found unpractical in the food industry. It forced me to work while contagious. I was excited to work for a company that was aggressive about recycling. That was a lie. Management did not follow the rules of food dating but expected staff to. I didn't feel comfortable selling old food and stopped eating there unless I knew it was fresh. I experienced sexual harassment physical and verbal in the kitchen from management. To fire me, the Store manager fabricated a story about a bad review I NEVER had and suspended me. I expected more from this company.
Fun and active place to work
Cook (Former Employee), Eugene, ORAugust 29, 2012
Promoted health, learning and the ability to work in a fast paced team environment.
Busy and productive
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee), Eugene, ORAugust 21, 2012
Pros: great people
Cons: long hours
Working at Market of Choice was a fun place to work. It is always fun to work with a diverse group of people who can work together towards a common goal and see what each person brings to the table.
Friendly place to work
Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee), West Linn, ORJuly 28, 2012
The staff was very friendly. I learned alot from working in there kitchen about how to prepare different foods. I would love to work there if I still lived in west linn.
Worked there for 10 weeks
Internship (Former Employee), Eugene, ORJuly 19, 2012
I worked there during my IT internship. The people I worked with were great. I can't speak about the compensation package, but suspect it was fine. I had the opportunity to work there part time during school but passed on it. I regret doing that.
Headquarters