Market of Choice Employee Reviews

Not a good place to work
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORAugust 21, 2017
This place has a revolving door! Employees come and go very fast. Management was very poor and spoke to employees like they were stupid, even calling them stupid or idiots.
Good company, if a little lax
Freight Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 31, 2017
Market of Choice has treated me very well during my time there. The work has never been too hard, and management has been very forgiving regarding my schedule and various difficulties with it. Management feels likable and competent, and though I worry that their laid back nature may somehow harm the company, as a worker I have always enjoyed the workplace culture.
Pros
Relaxed culture, very accomodating
Cons
No employee discount, schedule known only one week ahead
Workplace Culture
Corvallis - Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJuly 17, 2017
The management needed serious training on leadership. My male boss was a misogynistic and highly critical. No positive reinforcement or motivation to want to work for him.
Workplace culture was hard when to many people working felt as though they were in charge.
Horible mangement
Courtsey Clerk (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 27, 2017
Mangers play favorites alot, and I mean alot. Even if you request time off before anyone else and a month in advance they will give it to thier favorties first. It almost feels like being back in highschool with the mean girls, I caught the mangers talking about their employees behind thier backs more than once and I dont mean thier work ethic or how they are doing at thier job, they are very unprofessional.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Poor mangement/Favortism
Horrible Company to Work For
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORJune 15, 2017
Horrible management style, terrible work ethic, totally okay with cutting corners to get a job done, major portion of clientele treat employees like absolute garbage.

Upper management is hands off and never present, leaving lower management free to treat employees how they see fit, even if it's badly, and even if it's in front of customers or other employees.

Other employees are fired or quit because of petty drama. It is not worth the pay to work here. If you do, you'll be lucky to last 6 months.
great place to work
Cashier/ HABA manager (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORJune 10, 2017
This was a great place to work and good for employees who want to learn retail, even though it is specific to southern Oregon, the company has good products and good ideas. It markets to a certain clientele.
Pros
wage and benefits offered
Mismanaged but could be worse
Kitchen Management (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 3, 2017
After working for a few stores, a few constants are apparent:
Coworkers are generally one of the better parts of the job.
Management is about 50/50 on being competent in their position.
Good luck negotiating any level of fair pay/living wage.

The locations themselves are lovely and make it easier to show up to work than say with comparable conditions at a Safeway or Albertsons.
Pros
Aesthetically pleasing, cheap benefits
Cons
No employee discount, high turnover
Stocker
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 1, 2017
The job was ok but the hours and days of employment were not compatible with bus schedules and this created transportation problems for me. This ended up costing me my job.
It was okay
Kitchen Clerk (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 7, 2017
Employees are fun to work with, and overall the company does seem to care about their employees. However, many of their policies are outdatedly-conservative (ie women can't have short hair) and should be changed.
Whole foods with an Oregon twist.
Produce Clerk/Freight Clerk (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 30, 2017
Quality high end products moving at a great volume, Move quickly and learn the products well. Not much flexibility for time off. Most enjoyable part is the coworkers who are great characters and the passionate customers.
Pros
Growing Company
Cons
Growing pains
Good
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 30, 2017
Lots of work for little pay. Company has no room for growth if you plan on attending school. You will be punished with cut hours and pay if you decide to advance your education.
Rewarding place to work with compassionate co workers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 19, 2017
Human Resource department was not very kind or understanding. Store managers however were very caring and always helpful 100% of the time. Always amazing co workers to work with, and the benefits were great! Rewarding company to work for because working with the public is always an eye opener and helps you become more wise. Also I learned a ton of people skills and cashier knowledge.
Pros
Great people, 40 hours a week, and great learning experiences.
Cons
HR department not very caring people
MOC offers great pay and good benefits, it is retail grocery, so nights and weekends are required.
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ashland, ORMarch 14, 2017
MOC likes to offer Full Time employment, versus part time, but it is hard to hire FT employees being in Ashland and directly across from SOU.
Pros
Great People to work with
Cons
High turn over rate
kitchen clerk
Kitchen Clerk (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMarch 3, 2017
it is great working there though they do not train to the proper things that you are doing when getting to know a new job. i have learned that working in a kitchen is very stressful though i have learned a lot.
job was good
Health and Beauty Aids Manager/cashier (Former Employee) –  555 Main st, Grants Pass, OrFebruary 26, 2017
As all of my employment, I learn and grow and viewed this job as a great stepping stone in retail. I am very dedicated and responsible in all of my positions.
Pros
meeting and interacting with people-learned great consumer skills
Cons
sometimes slightly stifling as I am used to more flexability in companies
Great
Employee (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORDecember 17, 2016
Great company. Low pay. Flexible schedules. NO or little room for advancement. Good training. Everyone is happy and gets along. Great team enviroment.
A growing company that provides opportunity
Employee (Current Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 23, 2016
After reading a number of reviews online, I felt it was finally time to post my own. It is unfortunate to see the number of poor reviews but I cannot speak for anyone else's experience but my own. This is an excellent company that is continuing to grow and learn from what works and what doesn't work. The attendance policy is beyond fair. If you come to work on time and actually come to work, there is nothing to worry about. It is a company that provides growth, benefits, full time work in a time where that is no longer the norm and provides a friendly, happy work place. Can it be hard work? Yes. It is a job and that happens. Are some weeks worse then others? Yes, again, that is what happens at a job. But, the supportive management, room to grow, positive coworkers and consistency far outweighs the former. If you are looking to get your foot in the door with a company that promotes from within and provides careers to those seeking one, as well as a company whose family values continue to flourish within it, Market of Choice is a great place to work.
Pros
Growth, opportunity for new skill sets, family owned, holiday pay, Pto, full time hoursbenefits
Cons
It is retail and that in itself can be a difficult field to work in
Typical dead end grocery job trying to seem better
Grocery Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 23, 2016
This company is atrocious. The management plays favoritism. They have an absurd "occurrence" policy for late shows and call-ins which fosters an atmosphere of fear and prevents raises being distributed. They're overly strict and conservative about everything from correct color socks, under pants, to chewing gum, etc. I would not recommend this job to anybody.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Horrible management, high stress, bad benefits
Beautiful atmosphere, and wonderful management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORAugust 26, 2016
It is a nice place to work, but I feel there isn't much room for advancement. The management is wonderful and they take care of their employees. And I have never felt out of place there.
Pros
Steady hours
Cons
Little room for advancement
They upsale a dream, only for you to walk into a nightmare.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Can't say, I don't want to be fired.July 5, 2016
MoC talks a big game about being family owned, and how much they value their employees, but sadly that is just not the case. When going through the hiring process, and attending orientation, HR welcomes you so pleasantly, and gets you excited to work for them, only to be blindsided with disappointment.
The company overworks, and under appreciates their employees; it's your typical dead-end grocery retail job. Some of the people are great to work with, but that is only because the miserable conditions bond us. The company views employees as replaceable cogs, and treats them as such. It's sad how many hoops an employee must jump through when an unexpected emergency arises, and the mountain of paperwork to follow. The hypocrisy is astounding, you're only given 2 days notice of your next scheduled work day when the schedule comes out, if you're working a Sunday, but must give at least 2 weeks notice if you want a day off, and it still won't be garunteed. Constantly understaffed which results in long days, and even longer work weeks. Management says they'll support you, but when you ask for help, and explain you're tired, they just reiterate their expectation, and approve more overtime, then discipline you for not meeting standards. They truly don't care about your work/life balance as long as customers are happy, and sales are strong.
Advancement is primarily based on favorites, and if you're personable, but heaven forbid you cross the wrong person. You can be the favorite, then rub one manager wrong, and it's high school all over again, with that manager opening a smear campaign.
  more...
Aside from the undesirable work hours/load/expectations/management, and poor/below average wage, the benefits are mediocre. High deductible plan, with low coverage. Example: I had a baby, and the plan only covered $300 for primary visits, anyone who has had a baby knows this is not sufficient with how many doctor visits are expected the first year. When I voiced my concern, I was met with, "it's a grandfathered in plan" and isn't worth it to change.
Pros
My co-workers are fantastic
Cons
Market of Choice

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Market of Choice. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5