Market of Choice Employee Reviews in United States

They upsale a dream, only for you to walk into a nightmare.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Can't say, I don't want to be fired.July 5, 2016
MoC talks a big game about being family owned, and how much they value their employees, but sadly that is just not the case. When going through the hiring process, and attending orientation, HR welcomes you so pleasantly, and gets you excited to work for them, only to be blindsided with disappointment.
The company overworks, and under appreciates their employees; it's your typical dead-end grocery retail job. Some of the people are great to work with, but that is only because the miserable conditions bond us. The company views employees as replaceable cogs, and treats them as such. It's sad how many hoops an employee must jump through when an unexpected emergency arises, and the mountain of paperwork to follow. The hypocrisy is astounding, you're only given 2 days notice of your next scheduled work day when the schedule comes out, if you're working a Sunday, but must give at least 2 weeks notice if you want a day off, and it still won't be garunteed. Constantly understaffed which results in long days, and even longer work weeks. Management says they'll support you, but when you ask for help, and explain you're tired, they just reiterate their expectation, and approve more overtime, then discipline you for not meeting standards. They truly don't care about your work/life balance as long as customers are happy, and sales are strong.
Advancement is primarily based on favorites, and if you're personable, but heaven forbid you cross the wrong person. You can be the favorite, then rub one manager wrong, and it's high school all over again, with that manager opening a smear campaign.
  more...
Aside from the undesirable work hours/load/expectations/management, and poor/below average wage, the benefits are mediocre. High deductible plan, with low coverage. Example: I had a baby, and the plan only covered $300 for primary visits, anyone who has had a baby knows this is not sufficient with how many doctor visits are expected the first year. When I voiced my concern, I was met with, "it's a grandfathered in plan" and isn't worth it to change.
Pros
My co-workers are fantastic
Cons
Market of Choice
Absolutely miserable experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 28, 2016
Management and policy prioritizes employee punishment over everything else. Absurd attendance/sick leave policy. Transphobic. Disrespectful HR department. One of the worst employment experiences of my life.
Pros
Sometimes the people you work with and around are good people
Cons
See above.
Fast paced and engaging work enviroment
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMay 27, 2016
Packaged and prepared products
Built and organized displays
Minor cake decorating
General cleaning
Making and serving coffee
Cash handling
Customer Service

There was not much time to get to know my coworkers. Management was not very present, but I was always kept on task.
This Company has no Identity
Assistant Meat Manager (Former Employee) –  West Linn, ORApril 28, 2016
I was an Assistant Manager in the Meat Dept. at the West Linn Location; company wants to be New Seasons, there is no professional respect from the head office , pay is average at best as is the medical,401K is decent . I never knew a typical day because I was always covering my bosses job who has no idea of food safety or professionalism. I was always called to come in on my days off and vacation to help the manager.
Pros
fun co-workers
Cons
lack of respect, pay, fear of reporting infractions for fear of paybacks
It had its Pros and Cons
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORApril 14, 2016
As a dishwasher, your job is pretty self-explanatory. You clock in, wash dishes, clock out. Occasionally when you have free time, you assist in other areas of the kitchen as needed/requested. I myself learned very well how to prioritize. What needed to be washed before what else, when certain parts of the job needed to be completed before others, etc. Co-workers were difficult to work with, constant clashing of opinions and work styles. Management was harsh. One mess up was usually met with a penalty. The best part of the job was being allowed to listen to music while I worked. It made for an easier and more relaxed work day. The hardest part of the job was dealing with clashing opinions of co-workers.
Pros
Being allowed to listen to Ipod while in dish pit.
Cons
Under constant pressure to have certain dishes washed by a certain time
if you work hard they dont care its who you suck up too
cook/clerk (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORApril 5, 2016
I worked there for over a year and when they hired me they said that I could get Raises with the reviews.. well I was supposed to of gotten a review at 30 days, 90 days, 6months and a year. I got 1 at 10 months and then again at 13months. they told me I would get a raise with my year review but never did. when I asked about it the manager told me that he would never give me a raise because I made too much money But people that were doing the same thing as me were making more and doing less.
with the hire of new employees the quality of the food has diminished, burnt food being served, food getting dropped on the floor and being served, touching food with bare dirty hands, just gross things.
Pros
few and far between
Cons
poor managment
Could be better
Cheese Steward (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 30, 2016
The atmosphere while working with your coworkers was very enjoyable, there was a lot of turnover in employees, but otherwise those that stayed became very adept at training others.
Heartless Corporation
Sales Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORDecember 27, 2015
A company with a truly heartless, corporate mindset that only sees its employees as replaceable numbers.
Market of Choice appears to be friendly and community-oriented, owned by a family, but what they don't tell you is how wealthy that family is and how little their workers are making to carry the load on their backs.
Everybody is overworked and underpaid. The only reason they appear to be happy is because they'll get fired otherwise.
The attendance policy is strict and unforgiving - unless you're friendly with the management, then you'll get excused.
The weekly schedule is posted only 2 days in advance (Friday morning) and employees aren't allowed to request any week containing a holiday off at any time. Oh, also, don't park anywhere near the building or you'll get a warning.
It's a place where employees are afraid to ask for a band-aid if they get a small cut, because if HR finds out, they'll have you watch an hour-long video on knife safety (yet you never got the proper training in the first place because they forget who's who - after all, they don't last long).
The mark-up on everything is extravagant, yet the employees get no discounts. Employees receive benefits three months in, but the insurance has a high deductible and won't cover anything practical anyways.
The computer systems are slow and cashiers suffer, having to explain to customers why the system is so slow. It's because the corporation doesn't give a darn. But they can't say that. Or they'll get fired.
Pros
Friendly Co-workers
Cons
Everything else
stressful work environment
former worker (Former Employee) –  beavertonOctober 6, 2015
corporate mentality. first when I excepted the job, I had the impression that they are care about you as an employee not just a number. When they realized you work hard, they make you work even harder without any recognition or compensation that you deserved. you definately have to kiss rear end to get ahead and gets raises because working hard and bust your butt on daily basis isnt good enough. This company is lacking in basic structure. overall you nothing but a worker that they think they can replace
Pros
.benefits
Cons
everything
Fast paced environment with friendly co-workers and customers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 7, 2015
Fun work place with friendly employees that love their job. Management was always there to help and were always close by incase anyone needed assistance. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to meet new people and learn new things from them as they went about their normal daily routine. one of the hardest parts of the job was being so short handed and working 6 or 7 day work weeks when others were not available. Overall it was a good learning experience compared to the other lines of work I have done.
Pros
fun and friendly people from different cultures.
Cons
attendance policy was rather strict

Want to know more about Market of Choice?

Ask a question
Typical grocery store environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Linn, ORSeptember 6, 2015
Typical grocery store environment. low worker appreciation. changing work schedule. good store design. entitled customers. co-workers feel stuck in their jobs.
Pros
close to home so could commute by bicycle.
Cons
Low morale, non living wages.
Cold as an ice cube
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, Portland, Oregon, Barnes RoadSeptember 2, 2015
My experience with this company was terrible. It has been nearly a year since I quit working for MOC. My reasons are simple. The management team is not there to support the employees but to make sure that the tables are filled and pretty. No training was involved. The communication system there is like talking to brick wall. It was uncomfortable to work there. Expensive. You have to buy your uniforms. The team I was hired with, were like hens in a hen house. Within one week people were at each others throats. What kind of business allows this to happen? Within a few months, that entire team was displaced. I would never recommend this company to anyone unless they were a cold hearted, selfish and self centered, lying, manipulating coward like the management team there. Awful experience.
Pros
ugh
Cons
You name it...
lovely store
customer sales/cook (Former Employee) –  ashland oregonJune 30, 2015
I appreciated the job, the company leaves a bit to be desired. It is a past paced environment which I enjoy. due to the management team at this particular store, they had an exceptionally difficult time keeping good employees in the kitchen as if was such an incredibly difficult job for many, in this atmosphere. I was thankful to have the employment for ten years.
Pros
income, insurance
Cons
management
Very fun first job
Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMay 25, 2015
I learned a lot from this job. I worked in the kitchen and the great thing about it was that every day was something new and different. The employees were great and the management was respectable. My only gripes would be zero benefits for being an employee and they are very strict.
High stress job with good benefits
Kitchen Clerk (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 15, 2015
This company doesn't know how to treat it's employees. Like many grocery stores they run their good employees into the ground while hanging on to terrible ones (ie: ones that don't pull their own weight, offensive/abrasive ones, ect.). The hours aren't flexible. They don't tell you your schedule until a week in advance, any time off must have management approval two weeks in advance.

Their tardy system is absolute rubbish. For example, if you were to be late 2 hours on an 8 hour shift (for whatever reason) you would get more occurrences than if you had called out for the entire day. Meaning: If you had called out completely (thus abandoning your coworkers) you would have gotten in less trouble than actually trying to go to work.

If you have any piercings, "unnatural" colored hair, or facial hair that you want to keep do NOT apply. This is a very conservative company that has zero tolerance.

The work environment is fast paced and high energy. If you have good coworkers the job can be very enjoyable.
Pros
Health benefits, fun work environment
Cons
Inflexible hours, poor management, rocky job security, overly conservative
Fun place to work, management is not is not very organized
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 5, 2015
Management needs to be more organized, other than that a very nice, clean, place to work.
Fun place to be during holidays, not fun to work when management doesn't do as promised.
Sometimes hard to request days off.
Pros
Gift cards, fun people
Cons
raises, management
Mismanaged
Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORMarch 30, 2015
I am really a fair person but to me this was one of the worst places I have worked. The department favoritism, abuse of overtime laws and disrespect that this corporation puts on their employees is absolutely unethical. To start the day, you clock it not more than 3 mins early or 3 mins late or you get an occurrence. 7 and your put up for review and most often fired. Then you go to the kitchen and locate the chart with the item you will be in charge of during your shift. At 8 o clock you start to wind down and start closing the salad bar and hot bar. The problem with this is you can't turn a customer away according to policy but legally after the food is cooled we can't serve it. So while trying to balance your task and helping other people with theirs and serving customers we are expected to tag in and out while doing all of the days and nights dishes in the back. The crew of people is 4 people on a good day and 3 most of the time and there is no night management or PIC. The hardest part of the job is feeling overworked and Under appreciated. What I learned from this experience is that if you actively have concerns or issues with what is going on you need to express how you are feeling in an adult professional way. The best part about this experience were the people I met. I had an amazing, inviting kitchen manager and still hang out and meet up with some of the other kitchen crew. The most enjoyable part of the work itself was dealing with nice customers who often times were very understanding and impressed by what we did.
Pros
Benefits, 401k
Cons
Short breaks, not understanding, strict
Horrible work environment/ Management sucks !!!!
ASSISTANT KITCHEN M ANAGER (Current Employee) –  Ashland, OROctober 8, 2014
This place sucks to work at and most of the employees are miserable. Management is out to punish the employees and make it a uncomfortable place to work. Turnover is out of this world and that is because no one gets proper training and management is constantly cracking the whip. If you have a choice do not apply or accept employment there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Excellent Growing Local Company
Human Resourses Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 1, 2014
I started with company and quickly found there was opportunity, I have been with the company for well over 8 years now and have worked at several of it's stores locations. I have worked for several of the Store Managers and they all seem to be like minded with the companies mission statement. I have even met the owners and they are quite nice people who took the time to ask me a few questions about myself.The co-workers are genuinely pleasant people, there isn't the negative impact reflected by the crew as there was when I worked previously for the other grocery competitors. There are very few negative things I have encountered, the most standout being that some employees do not like the attendance policy, but in fairness it has never negatively affected me. I am definitely considering a career with Market of Choice, they have proven to be a loyal employer to me and I have reached the pay level and vacation time I expect. So I am quite happy with my employment experience with Market of Choice.
Pros
consistent and fair employer with growth opportunity
Great company, wonderful people, chance to advance, Great benefits.
Bulk Food Manager (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 1, 2014
MOC is a family environment. Fun people to work with and hard working people that know what it takes to bust out and get the job done. Hard job but the people that i work with makes it worth the hard days. The hardest part of the job would be about 1% of the customers that aren't very friendly and take it out on you. I learn about so many different types of food and the benefits of those products.
Pros
benefits are awesome.
Cons
not enough help in the department

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Market of Choice. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8