Market of Choice Employee Reviews

Heartless Corporation
Sales Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORDecember 27, 2015
A company with a truly heartless, corporate mindset that only sees its employees as replaceable numbers.
Market of Choice appears to be friendly and community-oriented, owned by a family, but what they don't tell you is how wealthy that family is and how little their workers are making to carry the load on their backs.
Everybody is overworked and underpaid. The only reason they appear to be happy is because they'll get fired otherwise.
The attendance policy is strict and unforgiving - unless you're friendly with the management, then you'll get excused.
The weekly schedule is posted only 2 days in advance (Friday morning) and employees aren't allowed to request any week containing a holiday off at any time. Oh, also, don't park anywhere near the building or you'll get a warning.
It's a place where employees are afraid to ask for a band-aid if they get a small cut, because if HR finds out, they'll have you watch an hour-long video on knife safety (yet you never got the proper training in the first place because they forget who's who - after all, they don't last long).
The mark-up on everything is extravagant, yet the employees get no discounts. Employees receive benefits three months in, but the insurance has a high deductible and won't cover anything practical anyways.
The computer systems are slow and cashiers suffer, having to explain to customers why the system is so slow. It's because the corporation doesn't give a darn. But they can't say that. Or they'll get fired.
Pros
Friendly Co-workers
Cons
Everything else
stressful work environment
former worker (Former Employee) –  beavertonOctober 6, 2015
corporate mentality. first when I excepted the job, I had the impression that they are care about you as an employee not just a number. When they realized you work hard, they make you work even harder without any recognition or compensation that you deserved. you definately have to kiss rear end to get ahead and gets raises because working hard and bust your butt on daily basis isnt good enough. This company is lacking in basic structure. overall you nothing but a worker that they think they can replace
Pros
.benefits
Cons
everything
Fast paced environment with friendly co-workers and customers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 7, 2015
Fun work place with friendly employees that love their job. Management was always there to help and were always close by incase anyone needed assistance. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to meet new people and learn new things from them as they went about their normal daily routine. one of the hardest parts of the job was being so short handed and working 6 or 7 day work weeks when others were not available. Overall it was a good learning experience compared to the other lines of work I have done.
Pros
fun and friendly people from different cultures.
Cons
attendance policy was rather strict
Typical grocery store environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Linn, ORSeptember 6, 2015
Typical grocery store environment. low worker appreciation. changing work schedule. good store design. entitled customers. co-workers feel stuck in their jobs.
Pros
close to home so could commute by bicycle.
Cons
Low morale, non living wages.
Cold as an ice cube
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, Portland, Oregon, Barnes RoadSeptember 2, 2015
My experience with this company was terrible. It has been nearly a year since I quit working for MOC. My reasons are simple. The management team is not there to support the employees but to make sure that the tables are filled and pretty. No training was involved. The communication system there is like talking to brick wall. It was uncomfortable to work there. Expensive. You have to buy your uniforms. The team I was hired with, were like hens in a hen house. Within one week people were at each others throats. What kind of business allows this to happen? Within a few months, that entire team was displaced. I would never recommend this company to anyone unless they were a cold hearted, selfish and self centered, lying, manipulating coward like the management team there. Awful experience.
Pros
ugh
Cons
You name it...
lovely store
customer sales/cook (Former Employee) –  ashland oregonJune 30, 2015
I appreciated the job, the company leaves a bit to be desired. It is a past paced environment which I enjoy. due to the management team at this particular store, they had an exceptionally difficult time keeping good employees in the kitchen as if was such an incredibly difficult job for many, in this atmosphere. I was thankful to have the employment for ten years.
Pros
income, insurance
Cons
management
Very fun first job
Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMay 25, 2015
I learned a lot from this job. I worked in the kitchen and the great thing about it was that every day was something new and different. The employees were great and the management was respectable. My only gripes would be zero benefits for being an employee and they are very strict.
High stress job with good benefits
Kitchen Clerk (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 15, 2015
This company doesn't know how to treat it's employees. Like many grocery stores they run their good employees into the ground while hanging on to terrible ones (ie: ones that don't pull their own weight, offensive/abrasive ones, ect.). The hours aren't flexible. They don't tell you your schedule until a week in advance, any time off must have management approval two weeks in advance.

Their tardy system is absolute rubbish. For example, if you were to be late 2 hours on an 8 hour shift (for whatever reason) you would get more occurrences than if you had called out for the entire day. Meaning: If you had called out completely (thus abandoning your coworkers) you would have gotten in less trouble than actually trying to go to work.

If you have any piercings, "unnatural" colored hair, or facial hair that you want to keep do NOT apply. This is a very conservative company that has zero tolerance.

The work environment is fast paced and high energy. If you have good coworkers the job can be very enjoyable.
Pros
Health benefits, fun work environment
Cons
Inflexible hours, poor management, rocky job security, overly conservative
Fun place to work, management is not is not very organized
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 5, 2015
Management needs to be more organized, other than that a very nice, clean, place to work.
Fun place to be during holidays, not fun to work when management doesn't do as promised.
Sometimes hard to request days off.
Pros
Gift cards, fun people
Cons
raises, management
Mismanaged
Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORMarch 30, 2015
I am really a fair person but to me this was one of the worst places I have worked. The department favoritism, abuse of overtime laws and disrespect that this corporation puts on their employees is absolutely unethical. To start the day, you clock it not more than 3 mins early or 3 mins late or you get an occurrence. 7 and your put up for review and most often fired. Then you go to the kitchen and locate the chart with the item you will be in charge of during your shift. At 8 o clock you start to wind down and start closing the salad bar and hot bar. The problem with this is you can't turn a customer away according to policy but legally after the food is cooled we can't serve it. So while trying to balance your task and helping other people with theirs and serving customers we are expected to tag in and out while doing all of the days and nights dishes in the back. The crew of people is 4 people on a good day and 3 most of the time and there is no night management or PIC. The hardest part of the job is feeling overworked and Under appreciated. What I learned from this experience is that if you actively have concerns or issues with what is going on you need to express how you are feeling in an adult professional way. The best part about this experience were the people I met. I had an amazing, inviting kitchen manager and still hang out and meet up with some of the other kitchen crew. The most enjoyable part of the work itself was dealing with nice customers who often times were very understanding and impressed by what we did.
Pros
Benefits, 401k
Cons
Short breaks, not understanding, strict
Horrible work environment/ Management sucks !!!!
ASSISTANT KITCHEN M ANAGER (Current Employee) –  Ashland, OROctober 8, 2014
This place sucks to work at and most of the employees are miserable. Management is out to punish the employees and make it a uncomfortable place to work. Turnover is out of this world and that is because no one gets proper training and management is constantly cracking the whip. If you have a choice do not apply or accept employment there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Excellent Growing Local Company
Human Resourses Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 1, 2014
I started with company and quickly found there was opportunity, I have been with the company for well over 8 years now and have worked at several of it's stores locations. I have worked for several of the Store Managers and they all seem to be like minded with the companies mission statement. I have even met the owners and they are quite nice people who took the time to ask me a few questions about myself.The co-workers are genuinely pleasant people, there isn't the negative impact reflected by the crew as there was when I worked previously for the other grocery competitors. There are very few negative things I have encountered, the most standout being that some employees do not like the attendance policy, but in fairness it has never negatively affected me. I am definitely considering a career with Market of Choice, they have proven to be a loyal employer to me and I have reached the pay level and vacation time I expect. So I am quite happy with my employment experience with Market of Choice.
Pros
consistent and fair employer with growth opportunity
Great company, wonderful people, chance to advance, Great benefits.
Bulk Food Manager (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 1, 2014
MOC is a family environment. Fun people to work with and hard working people that know what it takes to bust out and get the job done. Hard job but the people that i work with makes it worth the hard days. The hardest part of the job would be about 1% of the customers that aren't very friendly and take it out on you. I learn about so many different types of food and the benefits of those products.
Pros
benefits are awesome.
Cons
not enough help in the department
Family owned company/feel with corporate type benefits
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 1, 2014
I have been with the company for almost 7 years and plan to continue my career with Market of Choice.
It is a very forward thinking company that cares about their employees and the community they are in. The owners know that what they give to the employees, they will get back and it creates an enjoyable work experience.
Every job has it's ups and downs, but in the overall scheme of things, if you are looking for a long term position with a stable company, with room for growth, then it would be hard to find a better one in Oregon.
Pros
benefits, local, family owned, good wages, forward thinking
Pretty good enviorment
Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORApril 27, 2014
Pretty good place to work and start out at. Its also a very great place to shop.
Pros
great management
Cons
random hours
Ok work environment, awesome coworkers
Kitchen Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 12, 2014
Slow store with a lot of time to complete tasks, really great coworkers. Management is overall not supportive, and definitely critical. It's kind of a boys club. I've had pretty good experience asking for time off, but the tardy system is kind of hard to work with. The compensation is definitely fair, but there isn't a lot of growth. Get some really great customers, and it's definitely a family environment.
Pros
awesome coworkers, cool customers
Cons
managerment, hours
Great Environment
Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 8, 2014
Enjoyed interacting with people and providing customer service.
Horrible company to work for.
Lead Barista (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 10, 2013
Probably the worst company I have worked for...Big brother always
watching you..No discount as most stores give their employees. Lots of turnover
Pros
in is ok
Cons
always watching what you're doing....cameras around
slow but good store
Meat Cutter (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 17, 2013
fairly slow store, lots of time to complete tasks, in a good part of town.
Pros
good people to work with, willing to work with your schedual
Cons
health care, management
Mostly fun but also very controlling and limiting.
kitchen, front end. (Former Employee) –  West Linn, ORJune 13, 2013
Most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers. I learned that no matter how much experience you have from working at the store, one wrong mistake and your out. No sick days and no consideration for planned days off if someone calls in sick. Most of my co-workers were fun to work with and were flexible in being part of a team.
Pros
xmas bonuses for store only.
Cons
short breaks. no employee discounts.