MarketSource Employee Reviews in United States

Poor Training and Limited Structure
Product sales (Current Employee) –  MaineFebruary 21, 2016
I was hired in a management position, I was only given 5 days of training before being handed a small business to run alone. I had a very limited amount of co-workers I could contact for advice. Most of the communication was through email and limited phone calls. I was promised a raise after 6 months which did not happen. I had to learn to be an effective and creative manager on my own using my own resources and problem solving skills. I would not recommend working for this company unless you can run a small business entirely alone.
Pros
Ratail Environment, Good Customers
Cons
Little to No Corporate involvement
Overall a good place to work because money can be good and some people you work with are awesome, but the company doesnt always follow through.
Wireless Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAFebruary 28, 2016
Overall this company does not know how to treat its employees. The commission structures were CONSISTENTLY changing and make it even harder to earn the same amount of money as the last structure. This company makes a lot of promises and says a lot of things, that they never follow through with. working with people was always fun, helping guests find what they were looking for has some satisfaction to go with it, and I always looked forward to those feel good moments throughout the day from certain guests. The management varies between districts as to whether its good or not. Good management would stick up for their employees and boost their confidence to make them want to sell more in a good way, where as a district with bad management might tear down their employees or will lead by fear to get points across. It depends on the District Manager.
Pros
Good money (Full time), fun times in the store, Benefits for Full Time
Cons
rude managers, careless company, high turnover rate, mistreats employees
Poor communication and management skills
HP Representative (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 13, 2016
This job requires you to be very independent and basically schedule your own hours. It is good because it is flexible and the job pays well, but I only interacted with my managers via phone or email. A lot of the time, it was hard to get in contact with them. There is also not sufficient training involved. You are 'trained' by someone in the field for one day and then are thrown to the wolves at your stores. I worked at Best Buy, OfficeDepot, and Staples. I was expected to walk in and automatically become best friends with the managers and associates at that store. As a constant outsider, it is very difficult to build a good rapport with the associates and a lot of people just won't listen to you. I like the job because it is easy to become knowledgeable about HP products and sell them. I also liked the pay and flexibility, but that's it. Everything else about the job is horrible.
Pros
Good pay, travel compensation, flexibility
Cons
no breaks, poor management, poor communication, no training
Gain experience and then run
Wireless team lead (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 31, 2015
As you can imagine turnover within this position is some of the highest I've seen. Few good associates and even worse management. This company has no vision and pays there employees peanuts. Commission structure is lackluster and confusing based on what you sell. I left for another wireless position and can't believe I didn't do it sooner. Most of your day is filled with helping customers that have no idea Target even sells phones. I was at a relatively high traffic location and still was bored alot of the day. Management is some of the worst I've seen in any sales organization.
Pros
Awesome Coworkers
Cons
Pay, work/life balance, and benefits (there aren't any)
Great company to work for
Territory Manager - Citigroup Program (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 15, 2015
Excellent company to work for. Great culture, work life balance, good management and the opportunity to grow skills. I developed my sales training skills. Fantastic co-workers, I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the job. The most difficult - it's a contract position if the customer doesn't renew then you are unemployed.
Pros
Excellent all around company to work for
Cons
Contract job
Unsupervised position that has great flexibility
Event Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INFebruary 3, 2016
Really great boss who was willing to bend to fit my schedule at times. The job was very laid back and very unsupervised. Commission was decent for pre-paid wireless sales and hourly was great for a part-time gig. Would recommend to most anyone looking for part time easy money.
Pros
Good pay and commission. Flexible management
Cons
Lugging around an "Event Kit". Not a whole lot of room for advancement
Fun place to work and advance, but the pay could be much better
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 10, 2016
This job is great to show and develop your sale and interpersonal skills. With the growing success of the program, there are tons of opportunities to advance. However, the pay isn't amazing, even in higher positions which can be frustrating. This is a great place to work if you have strong sale skills and/or are a college student, or something of that sort.
Pros
Promotions, commission, great culture
Cons
Pay lower then other similar companies
I feel like they sell potential employees dreams
Wireless Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 3, 2016
This job is not all it is hyped up to be. During the in store interview the DM raved about employee benefits, compensation, hours, etc all to find out that this is a very stagnat position. We work inside the mobile section at Target. Most often because we do not sell as many phones as they feel like we should, during the day we are often helping out Target employees on the registers, helping guest look for miscellaneous items or with reshop. Marketsource employees are paid less than Target employees and most recently, Marketsource has cut their retention program that gave employees a $.50 raise every six months. You cannot have anytime off during the months of November thru Jan. For example I graduate college December, 2015 and I was still scheduled to work that day. Also the relationship between Target and Marketsource is like a friend-enemy. When Target is short on workers and Marketsource employees are helping out (especially during the holidays) they love saying we are a team and so on but Marketsource employees can't even use their breakroom during lunch or breaks which forces us out of Target. Conclusivly, I am thankful for the job because it was income.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
It's a job
Unorganized and lack of leadership
Market Source Representative (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYMarch 3, 2016
Typical day at work is opening the kiosk and making sure the inventory is up to date. In between having to communicate with Target Management to make sure things are running smoothly with our guests and their customers. I learned how to properly engage a guest and close sales by creating an amazing shopping experience for every guest. I could never speak about management because for a long period of time I was running the department alone. I did get trained by a manager who hired me and helped me further in my development. My co-workers were the best part of my job experience because we were able to coordinate proper sales techniques to help grow store sales and still maintain a proper work environment.
Amazing Coworkers
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Clifton, NJFebruary 23, 2016
The job is pretty simple. Know what the promotions is key on the other hand. Due to the fact that Target is a third party vendor they are allowed to change prices on phones and give out gift cards. If you were to promise a customer a gift card that was not in the promotion it will become a big deal. I learned more than just phones. Due to the fact that the mobile kiosk is stationed in the electronics department, what we do help out in the electronics department. Which means that we have to answer all the customers questions, whether it be for games, a gaming console, radios, speakers, etc. As coworkers we grew to became a family, which makes the environment happy and fun. The hardest part of the job is telling the customer that they were not approved for a line. The most enjoyable part is showing up and attending to the customers.
Crab co to work for
Wireless team lead (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MODecember 26, 2015
Worked 23 straight days because it takes so long to replace someone. Gave a two weeks notice but not paid unused vacation pay district manager said that was how Target contract was written. She would also told us we could not sell contract phones unactivated because MarketSource did make any money even though Target said they could be sold unactivated
Pros
Cons
Bad benefits no advancement putting up with Target mgmt bs because they had no control over you
Consistent scheduling
Wireless Team Member (Former Employee) –  Sheridan, CODecember 22, 2015
Way too much downtime. Not a lot of respect from Target Team Members (depending on the location). Ended up doing a lot of red shirt duties because often a red shirt would not be available or present in the electronics department. Poor management as well with little understanding of the position and how to adapt to it. Not a lot of respect for the work/life balance either until after a long phone and email conversation about it.
Love Working for them
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaOctober 11, 2015
Management is great and hands on! Love working with this company and enjoy the reward that come with working with the company. Commission structure is geared toward part timers (hours/sales points) so full timers like my self have to work harder to make the same commission. Commission structure is weak and various other companies are better. Now working with Comcast too and there commission structure is great and really good product to work with as well as verizon wireless, at&t mobile, and last but not least sprint! Very self motivated job and opportunity to earn good money money if you work hard at to sell.
Pros
Client Backing and Training
Cons
Commission Stricture and Hours
Terrible management with no vision for long term goals.
Store Manager/Wireless Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJanuary 22, 2016
I would pour my heart and soul into my job and get zero recognition for it. They only see numbers on a sheet and treat employees as parts of a machine. They have no problem replacing anyone in a heart beat. The turnover rate was the worst I have ever seen. The job itself is not very difficult but upper management wants you to sacrifice your entire life for this job. I would work at times 14 days straight, over 12 hours a day and not a single thank you from my boss. The moment insurance sales start decline he immediately talks about letting you go rather than offer advice that would help.
Pros
Cell phone discounts from cellular carriers
Cons
Requires a lot of work done at home with no pay, Low quality training, Team Leads(Store Managers) have no say in anything
Good culture
TALENT ACQUISITION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GADecember 3, 2015
Great job culture, they make sure they find good fits for each team. Most managers are willing to work with you and do bi-monthly one-on-ones. All territories have same goals, which is unrealistic. Expect quantity over quality. Commission structure is ok.... recruiting for part-time retail positions, so high turnover. They try to keep you in the company if you are struggling and many people do get promotions.
Helping people make good decisions about their wireless services.
Wireless Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INFebruary 11, 2016
Spending the day helping customers find the right phone plan for them and their families. Breaking the information down in a way that made sense to them to help them make a good decision about how to spend their money for wireless services. I learned that I have a niche for helping people and that sales is my calling because of the patience I developed over the two years I was there. The management in Target was great they've always looked out for me and helped me whenever I needed it. My district manager was a bit of a problem and made it difficult for me to get my work done. My co-workers were awesome, I can't think of a time where they didn't help me as I would've helped them in any way that they needed. The hardest part about the job was getting an associate to stay long enough to help me when I needed days off. The most enjoyable part about my job was helping people make good decisions and being knowledgable about the product. I got a lot of good reviews because of my patience and the fact that I knew what I was talking about.
Budget 3rd party company for Target's mobile sales
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAJanuary 20, 2016
The system is extremely easy to use especially compared to many others and is very well designed. There have been one or two issues since I've worked here but overall great system.

The most annoying part of the job is how useless you are in the store aside from selling phones or accessories. As an employee for a 3rd party company you don't have access to anything in a case in the electronics department where you're working so you need to call someone over to help out anyone who needs something unlocked and they're usually busy working on their section. Then, if you need to fix your own equipment such a faulty printer or a disconnected scanner then you need to call the MarketSource support team to fix it for you remotely because the company doesn't trust anyone else to have access to the computer's settings.

They cap their employees at 28hours/week to deny benefits, and management is a joke. I'm sure there are some good managers in the company but mine is not one of them. The commission structure is also a joke. They boast their employees who make $18/hr after commission in stores that apparently sell more than one phone every hour and stick you in their understaffed store that sells 1-3 phones a week and say that it's based on "productivity" levels. The turnover rate for employees is insane.
Pros
Relaxed job, not stressful, easy
Cons
Very unfulfilling job, not challenging at all.
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee WIOctober 12, 2015
This was a contract/project temporary type of position. They have many accounts around the US however, in WI very limited for management positions. Enjoyed the culture and job related tasks assigned.
Pros
Flexible hours, great management, good benefits and pay for non entry level positions
Cons
contract work
One of the best companies to work for
Wireless Sales Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIMarch 9, 2016
Unfortunately Marketsource signed me in contract benefits on accident and I am forced to pay $150 a week for the next year unless I quit. So as much as I love my job and company I have to find a new job. But this job was the job for me. It's okay though, it's easy to find a new job with the experience and job title they gave me.
MarketSource
Sales Management (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJuly 1, 2016
This is a outsourcing company that sells projects that they hope is successful in a short period of time. If it is successful it can become a program for a couple of years or in some cases with larger enterprise companies like AT&T they become long term partners. If you are a sales manager or sales person you they bill you to the client at 50% margins and pay you the employee a comp plan way below the market average. If you are new to sales or customer service and are willing to be micro managed in order to learn this may be a good place to work. They will tell you that they are one of the best places to work, but that is based on their support staff and not the sales or service teams. I would say working for this company is hit and miss based on the project and how it was sold. Good luck!
Pros
Nice facility
Cons
See above