MarketStar Employee Reviews in United States

High pay rate at your own pace
Google Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CAJanuary 11, 2016
Typical day: Report to your sales location, clock in, and help with staff. In my case, I was placed at Best Buy in Brentwood, CA. On my first week, I had to teach Best Buy employees in the computers dept. about Google products and how it would benefit customers.

I learned how to be independent on the sales floor. Prior to working for MarketStar as a Google specialist, I had plenty of customer sales knowledge from a previous employer.

Our management team was very supportive, however remotely. We worked at our own pace, and our management team entrusted us with this. We were able to make sales within a time frame successfully.

I didn't really with any staff co-workers except for Best Buy employees.

I'd say the hardest part of the job was commuting to Brentwood! Really though, there was nothing hard about the job. Just sell Google products in Best Buy in a non-competitive environment.

Everything about MarketStar I enjoyed! I just wished it wasn't seasonal.
Pros
high salary, work at own pace, independent, GOOGLE
Cons
long commute
A Connection in Every City
Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 12, 2016
I was lucky enough to travel from coast to coast training employees and business partners on the advancements and innovations of LG devices during the birth of smartphones. I was a part of a great group of individuals who became close friends granting me a contact in every major city in the nation. Compensation and benefits were not competitive compared to competitors and positions in the wireless industry.
My Review of Marketstar
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTOctober 30, 2015
This is the place to work at, while you are looking for a real job. Meaning it is not a career, just a place to work for a short while. Most of the people you work with a good people, their is always a few that you would rather not work around. Management is all about themselves, and some don't care about who is working under them, some also have the do not bother me attitude. Training sucks, pay is not the best, it could be a lot better. Benefits are OK but not the best I have experienced. Paid holidays are a plus, and PTO time builds up quickly. I have worked their twice and was laid off twice, I would not go back if offered.
Pros
Nice break room, plenty of PTO
Cons
Pay is far to low for what you have to do. Training sucks, Management has a do not bother me attitude.
Overall Good
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 1, 2016
First thing to know about Marketstar is they are contractual, meaning they bring businesses in to conduct business for them. While this typically means there is always work, it also means the workforce is always at risk of the client pulling their contract and people losing their jobs. Unfortunately when this happens, management has a habit of hiring external candidates to fill the holes rather than hiring those that are being let go due to the client taking away their positions.

Managers "Pride" themselves on Marketstar being a "Family" company, but I've never seen something done by management to portray that. Each action they take is done specifically to better their personal standings and they don't care about their employees because there is always someone else looking for a job. They have zero interest in keeping people internal when positions are released.
Fun Job but not the most secure place to work unless you are a higher up.
Pre-Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTJuly 14, 2016
Typical days at work would very on where and what position you hold in the company as it supports may corporations. I learned a lot about the companies as I was hired by MarketStar but actually worked for the HP client.
One of the best perks of the job was my co-workers as I met and worked with a lot of great people. The unfortunate is that you would see a lot of people come and go as is the way of things in call centers.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with unruly partners when they were upset but that comes with the job.

I really enjoyed learning the product, it is a great skill I look to continue with it.

Overall I really liked working there
Pros
Free lunches if you are on the sales floor, but not for support teams.
How to do your job.
None thought i was applying (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, NJ where i thougjt i was applyingMarch 10, 2016
You start out by getting there a few minutes early. Start your job and work to your best ability as I would. Skwsys think there's room for advancement. Learn everything you can. Always be kind to other people & if another employee is struggling with something that I know, j would help. Work can be a nice environment. Never stab people in the back to move up faster. Some people have fsnlues with kids. Just do ad your asked & there shouldn't be any problems
Pros
Advancement
Great place to work, more like a Family
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTJuly 12, 2016
Working with Marketstar was fun and it was more like family. They care about you as a person. You have some flexibility with the hours you work within reason. The management team makes sure you are informed of changes and how they will affect you. The executives all have open door policies and they make sure that you are welcome and they help out in any way that they can. They have groups within Marketstar to provide fun activities to thank the employees as well as get them out into the community to help others.
Pros
Lot of perks and fun activities
Contract Work
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  OKSeptember 3, 2015
I learned how to manage a territory and learned what it meant to be a great trainer. Overall, I loved the experience. It is contract work though. One day I was at the top of the scorecard, and the next day I was told that my territory was being gotten rid of.
Pros
Benefits, flexibility, work/life balance
Cons
Low pay, contract work
All jobs are interesting due to technical information
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 18, 2016
A quality company that provides technical opportunities to learn new products and their benefits for customers. Each position with them has improved my understanding of something new.
Management is always available to help.
Co-workers we all get the same training and support each other well.
There is no hard hart to these jobs.
Most enjoyable is interacting with customers.
Pros
Usually get a free products of some kind
Cons
Assignments don't last long enough
Review of field position
Field Representative (Current Employee) –  TexasJuly 26, 2016
I have worked in the field with Marketstar for several years. Overall, I manage myself which has been good and bad. I like setting my schedule and managing my territory on my own, but it's difficult when there is little communication with anyone else that I am supposed to be working with. Management definitely needs to communicate more with the field.

I like the company overall, but it isn't stable work and there is no room for advancement for field employees.
Steady Work Place Sometimes, great people to work with
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMarch 11, 2016
A typical day at work:

Clocking in at a work site were most of the customers were already existing FIOS customers.
Very slim sales opportunities
Every 2 hours had to report how any loops we had. Loops were the customers personal account information. We used this information to see if we had any sales opportunities or if we could save our customers some money.
shifts were seven to eight hours a day.
My manager was pretty cool and very helpful.
The co-workers were great, they were Verizion Wireless Reps and we built a great work relationship.
The hardest part about the job was not getting a lot of sales due to the location.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the whole sales experience and the people I worked with.
Low pressure, Fast Paced and exciting job .
Google Specialist (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WINovember 9, 2015
Market star/ Google was awesome to work for .
It was more customer service and teaching about Googles products than actually selling . This opened you up to the ability to look at other products and compare them to your own .
Walk in everyday and feel like you accomplished something by either selling your product , or simply providing customer service .
Management was awesome . Very supportive and understanding as well as easy to get a hold of . They boosted you up when you were doing well .
The only part of the job that was rough was job security . Its contract based so after the holiday season you may or may not be working , if nothing else your hours get cut .
Pros
Low pressure, Fast Paced and exciting job .
Cons
Job Security
Good company to work for
Territory Account Manager (Current Employee) –  South Jordan, UTSeptember 1, 2015
Marketstar has a great work/life balance and a good benefits package. Training and support are good as well. Management is always supportive.
Review of Product Specialist
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lower Hudson ValleyMay 23, 2016
Typical day would be driving around to around 6 stores. You needed to hit 30 stores a week. Lots of driving, lots of time spent in the car, you can basically make your own schedule. The job was very micromanaged, and they wanted specific data from each visit. We were grossly underpaid for what other reps were making with other companies, especially for living in the NY Metro Area. Management were robots, and most of my co-workers I got along with, even though we rarely saw each other. Hardest part of the job was getting to speak to all the reps you would visit. Sometimes they were preoccupied with customers or just didn't want to speak to you and it was obvious. Learning all the competitors devices and my own was great, because you could easily speak to the better products from the specs alone. If the job paid more, then it would have been ideal, because I love speaking to customers and helping them change their minds on buying something from me.
Pros
Work-Life balance, schedule, training reps, weekends off, free devices to use, phone reimbursement
Cons
Salary was less than desirable for what the job had begun, and too much micromanaging. Lots of wear and tear on your car and not compensated enough for it.
Good work environment. Seamless between company and client.
Sales Representative for Whirlpool Corporation (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTJanuary 2, 2016
The work day was great. Being a Whirlpool Appliance Rep. was very fulfilling. I traveled to the big box stores that sold appliances. Work with associates selling appliances. I also worked with store management to arrange training's for large and small groups. Organized days for Assisted Selling, coming in spending the day selling product to customer, performing product demos and training store associates. I traveled almost 3500 miles a moth to cover my accounts. I had 41 accounts to manage, almost 50 millions dollars in sales annually. Making and keeping relationships is the number one activities. My talent was in the moment with the associates and customers. I enjoy the exchange with the customers, selling product.
My co-workers are the best. We are spread out all across the country but rely on each other for help and guidance, the atmosphere was to help each other succeed.
Pros
Great product to sell, great co-workers.
Cons
Not much room to move up.
Okay
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJJune 27, 2015
the company give you the opportunity to growth experience wise only because when it come to raises there is none. The most I like about the company is that there is no cap for the commission you can make.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
longer you work for the company the less money you make, Every year they lower the commission compensation with only a month notice if so, Pay very little for sales compensation
Great job but temporary
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTMarch 30, 2016
Great company but employment was temporary. I learned a lot and wanted to stay but some contracts were pulled and the temps were the first to go. I would go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
Great management
Cons
temp work
Good pay
Product Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTAugust 17, 2016
Great pay and not very difficult. Great weekend jobs and got to travel some. Usually worked weekends for 8 hours a day in different locations near by. Overall is a great job to have part time.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Part time
Territory Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTDecember 28, 2015
MarketStar is a great company and treats people well. They totally understand the work/life balance that is important to people. The one downside is the nature of contract work. I worked on a great team and we hit all out metrics however, the contract was cancelled because of overall company revenue and not our teams performance.
Great culture, very little field opportunities
Whirlpool Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Not UtahFebruary 1, 2013
As a field employee, I have a different perspective of MarketStar than a corporate employee would. If you live in Salt Lake City or Ogden Utah where M* has offices, there are plenty of advancement opportunities. Out in the field, it seems the only chance for advancement is to move to Utah.
Compensation is below average but the fringe benefits are great. Employee stock purchase, health insurance, and matching 401k are all respectable.
Management varies by client, but generally they are very straightforward and empathetic. Management works with you for a flexible schedule because M* believes family life is more important than work.
The hardest part of my job in field sales is not having many promotions available. The best part is the independence.
I would definitely recommend working for MarketStar, but don't expect to climb the corporate ladder from a field position.
Pros
independence, culture, benefits
Cons
lack of advancement opportunity, low salary

2.8