MarketStar

MarketStar Employee Reviews

Great company, but not secure
Territory Representative (Former Employee), Orlando, FLAugust 12, 2015
Very positive and supportive management team. Not very secure due to limited business. Not ideal for long-term career.
Great Company Wish I Could of Stayed
Google Specialist (Former Employee), McAllen, TXAugust 6, 2015
Pros: Little Supervision, Working with Tech, Meeting new people
Cons: Contract work, unstable position
I really enjoyed working on the Google Specialist program with Marketstar, I wish we hadn't lost the contract, by far the coolest job I ever had and I truly believed in the product.
Pros and Cons to Marketstar
Field Manager (Former Employee), USAJuly 28, 2015
As a full time Field Rep:
PROS: Work life balance, if you know how to schedule your week. Benefits are good. Pay is usually ok for the ability to make 5 visits from 10am to 9pm.

CONS: Some accounts believe that last minute requests must be fulfilled. ie: You get a call today saying that you have to be at an event tomorrow at 6 am. Also, Not knowing if you have a job next year. Political games internally at HQ and sometimes with clients.

As a full time Field Manager:
PROS: Work from the phone/internet means you can work anywhere. No commute. Networking with clients for future opportunities.

CONS: Cause any ripples that may jeopardize the contract and you will end up on the radar to be worked out of the company. Management at HQ will toss any field member to the curb the moment they catch wind of the field causing ripples. You are there to make sure your team doesn't cause any problems, make upper management money and then when the contract is done, unless you are AT HQ, good luck with you and your team having/getting a job.

This is contractual work. So the pros and cons can go both ways. I had a FANTASTIC experience as a field rep. Then I've had a very poor experience as a field manager. I was on different accounts for both. So I believe that it greatly depends on your management at HQ and your client.

For longevity, unless you live at Marketstar, don't bank on accounts being at Marketstar for longer than 3-5 years. And I'm speaking about Full Time positions. But if you're looking for what I would call, "entry level" pay and more of a "life" in a work/life – more... balance, this is a good company to join.

When interviewing with Marketstar, always ask them about the health of the client/account/contract. Ask them when the account contract is up. If it's up in 2-3 months, you run the risk of working only that long. It all depends on the client, the health of the client and their goals. I've seen people get hired believing they have a job for at least a year and they are gone in 3 months due to the contract being cut. – less
Technical Sales Representative (Former Employee), Richmond, VaJuly 23, 2015
Great place to work at with many opportunities for career growth and advancement. Management is ever changing which can make the most loyal employee weary of the companies long term goals for their personnel.
Good Culture
Senior AE (Current Employee), Ogden, UTJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Culture
Cons: Clients Demands
MarketStar has a great culture and really does great work. It all depends on what program you are on as far as specific duties and responsibilities. The field works extremely hard and do positively impact results for their clients. The support teams a spread a bit thin but it all comes across as value for the client. It is a great company to work for if you are a hard worker. If you are lazy you will be found out so please do not pollute this organization.
Fun with freedom
Google Territory Manager (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MinnesotaJuly 17, 2015
Had a fantastic manager, lots of fun to work for. Great for people who like a flexible schedule but like to work hard. However, there is a lot of change in the program.
Great place to work and grow.
Managing Account Executive (Current Employee), Ogden, UtahJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Team Builds Room to grow
Cons: Politics
Work hard, great people, team building, goal oriented and room for growth. I learned that always working hard and having a great attitude will always carry you a long ways.
Great for students or those looking to expand their retail career
Sales Specialist (Former Employee), BurbankJuly 6, 2015
The typical work day was the same as most retail: focus on engaging customers and selling. Typically the product focus is on products or brands that may have hit some bumps in the road and need a little push so there is a challenge in moving the product sometimes.

Management can be hit or miss I suppose. I had a couple managers who were really well organized and a couple who weren't as organized. This can make hitting goals a bit more difficult sometimes.

Your coworkers are typically the employees of the store or stores where you work. It's best to just be friendly and make friends with them because they can help you move your product and you can meet some awesome people.

I didn't really feel there was much job security as it was at will and advancement can be a bit tricky as many positions are temporary. There is a need to reapply for new positions typically on a somewhat frequent basis if you are not on a long term assignment.

The hardest part for me was sometimes it can be a bit monotonous on longer assignments. The struggle for me was trying to keep the environment feeling fresh.

The most enjoyable part was the people and that it worked with my school schedule. The people from the stores were always friendly and helpful. The set schedule working part-time on weekends made my education possible.

It was a good job but it just wasn't a great fit for me. If someone is passionate about retail and sales, they will likely find this organization more enjoyable than I.
Great Internship
Whirlpool Sales Representative (Intern) (Current Employee), Denver, COJune 28, 2015
Great Internship, learned to improve communication skills, responsibility, and overall better understanding of the professional business environment.
Okay
Store Manager (Current Employee), Paterson, NJJune 27, 2015
Pros: health benefits
Cons: longer you work for the company the less money you make, Every year they lower the commission compensation with only a month notice if so, Pay very little for sales compensation
the company give you the opportunity to growth experience wise only because when it come to raises there is none. The most I like about the company is that there is no cap for the commission you can make.
Google Specialist
Google Specialist (Former Employee), Ogden, UTJune 27, 2015
The position had amazing training in a resort hotel, and everyone at Marketstar was great. That couldn't be said about the people at my BestBuy, though.

Also, apparently, other brands don't give as much of a spectacular training setup for MS as Google did.
Great team environment
District Sales Manager (Current Employee), New YorkJune 20, 2015
The company encourages a work/life balance. As a field employee, you do not feel like HQ is miles and miles away Some highlights of my learning experience with MarketStar includes time management and the in's and out's of managing the Client you are assigned to. The company also encourages furthering the education of their employees via webinars and online coursework that would be applicable to your field.
Team oriented
AdRoll Account Development Representative (Former Employee), Ogden, UTJune 10, 2015
Great company with solid background and reputation. Compensation is satisfactory. Training could be better to ensure optimum performance for new employees.
A Top Company
Regional Manager (Former Employee), Ogden, UTJune 5, 2015
Cons: Poor employee retention
Marketstar is one of the top companies in its category. I worked for them for almost nine years. The only drawback is that they don't retain their current talent very well. After a program ends, the employees are let go and have to start from square one.
Friendly work space with light supervision.
Google Product Consultant (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 30, 2015
Pros: light supervision
On a typical day I would arrive to store, check product inventory for the day, merchandise and clean all product tables I was in charge of maintaining. Once I was done with that, I would follow up with management on what they were focusing on for the day. I was in charge of setting up training events as well as training retail associates on the floor throughout the day.

I found that the hardest part of the job was getting ahold of management and raising issues to my bosses. I found the most enjoyable part of the job to be my employees and management within the store, they taught me that building relationships and teamwork is essential to not only getting tasks done but creating and maintaining a harmonious work place for all.
Exciting place to work.
LG HE Product Specialist Q4 (Former Employee), Ogden, UTMay 28, 2015
This position offered a lot of freedom and required the use of much creativity to successfully attain the goals each month that were set in place. The goals however were obtainable and when things were challenging my management team was always their to provide whatever I needed to make it work. My direct report Manager on this program was outstanding!
great people to work with
Team Lead/Partner Business Manager (Former Employee), South Jordan, UTMay 21, 2015
Pros: great environment
Cons: not enough traveling
Loved the environment. Team members were great and helpful in teaching correct principles to use with partners.

Working with partners was the highlight of the day. I loved them and their staffs and loved teaching them and helping them get their deals approved at a great price so they could closed the deal.
Fun environment to meet new people
Brand Ambassador (Current Employee), Ogden, UTMay 12, 2015
Pros: free items, network, free food
Cons: hours, distance
Marketstar is not your traditional job experience. They send you different events including sampling, demonstration, or modeling. I have worked for Amway, Florida State Fair, Nike combine and etc. It is a great way to do something different weekly or monthly.
Top in the industry
Senior Market Sell Thru Manager, Home Electronics (Current Employee), Ogden, UTMay 4, 2015
MarketStar is a great work environment to utilize your skills and learn about being flexible and changing according to a fast paced environment. The client and products represented is an ever changing technology that MarketStar gives the employee the opportunity to learn and share with co-workers and the clients.
I would run from the job
Inside Channel Account Manager for NetApp (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTApril 17, 2015
I would not recommend. Dishonesty. You will be fired or laid off and it's out of your control. Management is horrible. They hire you without telling you that your project can end in no time.
Headquarters