Marks and Spencer's Employee Reviews

sly comments made by other staff members, very patronizing
customer assistant (Former Employee) –  handforth deanDecember 24, 2014
Worked for Xmas temp (2014) at Handforth Dean; staff are very rude and made a lot of harsh comments making me feel useless and stupid ( I won't know everything straight away). Thrown in right at the deep end and expected to do everything right. Often found other employee's laughing and giggling to themselves at the mistakes I made. The two day training involved about 3 hours of watching DVD's about M and S and learning the money M and S makes and very basic till training. Only 6:70 an hour and very short breaks (had to rush my dinner and sometimes had no time to even eat it) got put on all the early shifts coming up to Christmas.

Would not recommend all the full time contracted staff think they are better than temp staff, very humiliating and belittling.
most enjoyable part: being able to put smile on customers face.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
shortbreaks rude staff, rude customers etc
Apply elsewhere
applied and interview for customer assistant (Former Employee) –  brother hood park peterboroughNovember 13, 2014
I applied for a customer service roll on line and got the interview.
I passed my interview with no trouble. In the interview they told me i would be doing late's so from around 1-2pm to 9-10 pm. This was great as I told them I use 2 buses to travel to work.
On my first day they changed my job roll to warehouse operations that was not the roll I applied or interviewed for and changed my hours to 6am- 2pm. on top of this you only get one brake every 8 hours and your working for 6:64 a hour. I told them I was unhappy with the changes and I cant work at 6 because the soonest I could get there is 7:25 using the soonest buses they let me work for the day and refused to change my shifts so I was forced to quit.
To top it off they also refused to pay me for my first day.
The ware house there is mind numbing and you feel your self getting dumber by the hour
Pros
free lunch toast big woop
Cons
one 30 min brake and changed job roll and shift times. and didn't pay
Worst company ever
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  ChelmsfordSeptember 29, 2014
The biggest tip I can give is Never work for M&S, or even apply.
If possible I would of gave a 0 rating

The staff are all very hard working, but receive zero gratitude or feedback from any managers, unless it's negative and they want your head on the blocks

The company stands for nothing and will take you for everything they can once you leave the company

I was there 2 years and on my last day not one manager came to say goodbye, thankyou or good luck, just ignored me

If you're looking for praise for your work then you will only receive it from the customers and M&S is not for you

Absolutely horrific experience, the things they get away with is diabolical.

Worst workplace I have ever encountered
A disillusioning experience
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, Broad st,November 5, 2013
I have worked for M&S for 8 weeks as a Christmas Temp.

The pay and conditions are poor. Pay is £6.54. a hour. 30 minute break in 8 hours.

Felt pretty much like being back at school - you have your nose to the grindstone for every single moment of your working day.
The management are very poor indeed, they will hardly speak to the temps unless it is to tell you to do something.
The work is basic, unskilled and mind numbing ; i.e checking the expiry dates of mountains of frozen meat.

They didn't give me fleece to wear (they said they had none left as they were changing over the uniform shortly) so I provided my own (identical apart from their logo) they would not let me wear it, nor would they give me one. It was very cold. Eventually a colleague lent me one.

They asked me to work extra hours, but did not pay me for them - three weeks worth of extra hours. I would ask again and again. They still owe me 20 hours money.

They got my name wrong on my staff discount card and in all of my records.

My co-workers though, were lovely, and the only saving grace of this job, the worst I have ever had.
Pros
lovely colleagues
Cons
horrible management, incompetant payroll, mind numbing work
Great customer assistants, poor commercial managers
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  BerkshireOctober 24, 2012
M & S? More like S & M!
You don't receive your first two weeks salary until you've resigned from the company. So that may be years before you see it.

Typical day at work - coming in and preparing the staffing for the nights delivery. Invariably the delivery would be late and much larger than expected. Staff absence was fairly high so juggling was regularly done.
What I learned - I have a huge capacity for patience...probably why I stayed as long as i did - expecting things to improve. I also taught myself many of the things they were supposed to teach me but somehow never had the time.
Management - Upper management had no clue about what was actually going on on the shop floor as they rarely interacted with the customer assistants. You could only approach them for the needs of the business if your section manager was absent. Otherwise 'do not disturb'.
Co-Workers - very hard-working, going above and beyond what was required of them. I shall miss them
Hardest part of the job - not being thanked for my team doing a good job. I found it very dis-heartening as I believe praise is a good motivator.
Most enjoyable part of the job - Clocking out and going home at the end of my shift.

Like others, the first couple of years were great; so much so that I decided to stay. (Big mistake). From the third to fifth year we had a succession of managers on my department who changed the way things were done on a whim. They didn't bother to get to know the staff and wouldn't acknowledge them on the shop floor unless it was to complain about something they believed should have been done sooner
  more... (all this whilst they were doing their work)
Cutbacks from head office meant there were never enough staff in place to get all the required work done in time or to serve the customers. Their solution? Bi-monthly through the night shifts to clear the over-crowded and very unsafe stock-room. And you were expected to come to work and do your shift the next day with less than the 12 hours rest break as stated by law.
Low staff morale meant customer service was poor as its difficult to smile when a manager has just told you off for your area not being tidy when you have customer fittings to do and therefore no time to do your standards.
If staff resigned they weren't replaced. This meant you were suddenly doing the work of three people while they cut back on costs.
No pay slip was ever the same and this was when you worked the same hours every month. If you did overtime, you could spend up to a year chasing them for it and then they'd tell you that too much time had passed so you weren't getting it OR as the manager who agreed the overtime had now moved to a different branch and as their request (for you to do overtime) was verbal - again - they weren't going to honour it.
It was difficult to get your hours changed as 'people who were there longer' were given that opportunity. That wasn't true as people joining the company would invariably get the hours you had spent years requesting.
Bullying is rife from some managers. There's no point in raising a formal complaint as it 'conveniently' disappears.
I left a permanent contract with them to take a job with a competitor on a temporary contract and less pay as I'd had enough. And in this economic climate, that says a lot.
The straw that broke the camel's back? My new manager constantly fixing my clothes. I dislike being touched by people who aren't my friends or family and that invasion of my personal space was literally the last straw.
I feel for the staff who are still there as they clearly state that if they could go elsewhere they would and that they are only there to ensure they can pay their bills. That to me is a clear sign of a business in trouble.
I don't know what happened to M&S but if things continue in their current vein, they will go the way of the dinosaur.
Pros
20% discount on joining
Cons
no positive feedback, rely on managers to be promoted even when passing online interview/assessment, staff morale so low new starters leave after first month.