Marks and Spencer's

Marks and Spencer's Employer Reviews

Worst company ever
Customer Assistant (Former Employee), ChelmsfordSeptember 29, 2014
The biggest tip I can give is Never work for M&S, or even apply.
If possible I would of gave a 0 rating

The staff are all very hard working, but receive zero gratitude or feedback from any managers, unless it's negative and they want your head on the blocks

The company stands for nothing and will take you for everything they can once you leave the – more... company

I was there 2 years and on my last day not one manager came to say goodbye, thankyou or good luck, just ignored me

If you're looking for praise for your work then you will only receive it from the customers and M&S is not for you

Absolutely horrific experience, the things they get away with is diabolical.

Worst workplace I have ever encountered – less
A disillusioning experience
Customer assistant (Former Employee), Reading, Broad st,November 5, 2013
Pros: lovely colleagues
Cons: horrible management, incompetant payroll, mind numbing work
I have worked for M&S for 8 weeks as a Christmas Temp.

The pay and conditions are poor. Pay is £6.54. a hour. 30 minute break in 8 hours.

Felt pretty much like being back at school - you have your nose to the grindstone for every single moment of your working day.
The management are very poor indeed, they will hardly speak to the temps unless it is – more... to tell you to do something.
The work is basic, unskilled and mind numbing ; i.e checking the expiry dates of mountains of frozen meat.

They didn't give me fleece to wear (they said they had none left as they were changing over the uniform shortly) so I provided my own (identical apart from their logo) they would not let me wear it, nor would they give me one. It was very cold. Eventually a colleague lent me one.

They asked me to work extra hours, but did not pay me for them - three weeks worth of extra hours. I would ask again and again. They still owe me 20 hours money.

They got my name wrong on my staff discount card and in all of my records.

My co-workers though, were lovely, and the only saving grace of this job, the worst I have ever had. – less
Great customer assistants, poor commercial managers
Customer Assistant (Former Employee), BerkshireOctober 24, 2012
Pros: 20% discount on joining
Cons: no positive feedback, rely on managers to be promoted even when passing online interview/assessment, staff morale so low new starters leave after first month.
M & S? More like S & M!
You don't receive your first two weeks salary until you've resigned from the company. So that may be years before you see it.

Typical day at work - coming in and preparing the staffing for the nights delivery. Invariably the delivery would be late and much larger than expected. Staff absence was fairly high so juggling was regularly – more... done.
What I learned - I have a huge capacity for patience...probably why I stayed as long as i did - expecting things to improve. I also taught myself many of the things they were supposed to teach me but somehow never had the time.
Management - Upper management had no clue about what was actually going on on the shop floor as they rarely interacted with the customer assistants. You could only approach them for the needs of the business if your section manager was absent. Otherwise 'do not disturb'.
Co-Workers - very hard-working, going above and beyond what was required of them. I shall miss them
Hardest part of the job - not being thanked for my team doing a good job. I found it very dis-heartening as I believe praise is a good motivator.
Most enjoyable part of the job - Clocking out and going home at the end of my shift.

Like others, the first couple of years were great; so much so that I decided to stay. (Big mistake). From the third to fifth year we had a succession of managers on my department who changed the way things were done on a whim. They didn't bother to get to know the staff and wouldn't acknowledge them on the shop floor unless it was to complain about something they believed should have been done sooner (all this whilst they were doing their work)
Cutbacks from head office meant there were never enough staff in place to get all the required work done in time or to serve the customers. Their solution? Bi-monthly through the night shifts to clear the over-crowded and very unsafe stock-room. And you were expected to come to work and do your shift the next day with less than the 12 hours rest break as stated by law.
Low staff morale meant customer service was poor as its difficult to smile when a manager has just told you off for your area not being tidy when you have customer fittings to do and therefore no time to do your standards.
If staff resigned they weren't replaced. This meant you were suddenly doing the work of three people while they cut back on costs.
No pay slip was ever the same and this was when you worked the same hours every month. If you did overtime, you could spend up to a year chasing them for it and then they'd tell you that too much time had passed so you weren't getting it OR as the manager who agreed the overtime had now moved to a different branch and as their request (for you to do overtime) was verbal - again - they weren't going to honour it.
It was difficult to get your hours changed as 'people who were there longer' were given that opportunity. That wasn't true as people joining the company would invariably get the hours you had spent years requesting.
Bullying is rife from some managers. There's no point in raising a formal complaint as it 'conveniently' disappears.
I left a permanent contract with them to take a job with a competitor on a temporary contract and less pay as I'd had enough. And in this economic climate, that says a lot.
The straw that broke the camel's back? My new manager constantly fixing my clothes. I dislike being touched by people who aren't my friends or family and that invasion of my personal space was literally the last straw.
I feel for the staff who are still there as they clearly state that if they could go elsewhere they would and that they are only there to ensure they can pay their bills. That to me is a clear sign of a business in trouble.
I don't know what happened to M&S but if things continue in their current vein, they will go the way of the dinosaur. – less

March 31, 2013

I agree with everything you say and can relate totally. I am bullied every day by my manager ( who also constantly fiddles with my clothes...what IS that all about??). My shifts are erratic (and I'm talking changing them until midnight, not just an hour or two) and the lack of HR means there is no one to talk to. It's a nightmare, I'm literally there for the money.

April 3, 2013

I'm currently working nights and my line managers are bullies but it doesn't stop me from sticking up for myself and standing my ground. I won't put up with it. I work hard in my opinion. -->(that's what I get paid for) but not to do two or three persons work load and Of course she's pushing for more but I just ignore it.The payment aren't that great at night that they can push me to do more and more work.I did complained about her but nothing came out realy positive from it, and certainly nothing i didn't already know Or anything helpful. So basically I just do, what I've been advised to do which I already knew in the first place. In the mean time i'm looking for new job.As for the store and this is where I agree with u most is Cutbacks from head office meant there were never enough staff in place to get all the required work done in time becuase of mismanaged staff rotas. Night deliverys weren't in the system. I had a phone calls at 21:30 from my line manager on my day off. She didn't know that i was on holiday that week she called. It was booked on my behalf. I could go on and on...

Lovely place to work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee), WiganNovember 16, 2014
Pros: lovely place to work, very relaxed
Cons: n/a
Lovely place to work all co workers are lovely and will help you whenever needed! work includes till work, restocking shelves, stock check (reducing down items that need selling as soon as possible) and stock take. Would go back to Marks and Spencer with any given chance as it is a lovely relaxed place to work everyone including the customers are lovely – more... to get along with and everyone will help you whenever needed. – less
The workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Tooting (now closed down)October 8, 2014
Pros: free breakfast and lunch
Cons: scanning barcodes with a device which would not always work
MY time at Marks & Spencers lasted for two weeks as I was there for work experience.

A typical day at work was busy as I had a few tasks to complete such as helping customers find the product they were looking for, scanning the barcodes on the products also unloading products from the stockroom onto the shop floor.

What I learned from working here – more... is how tough it was to handle to queries and complaints of customers. I never got the chance to speak to management however, if I had and queries or questions I would have a supervisor to answer them for me, we got along really well.

My co-workers were all older than me however, I enjoyed working with them, they were very friendly to me. The hardest part of the job was the scanning of barcodes as sometimes the machine was not always working and there were a lot of products to be scanned. The most enjoyable part of the job was the free lunch and breakfast provided by Marks & Spencers during the day and afternoon – less
fun. active and enjoyable
Sales/Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee), CwmbranSeptember 23, 2014
Memorable in-store experiences Customer Assistants. They were the guys and girls who kept customers happy, shelves stocked, tills manned and displays looking beautiful. I loved joining the team and showed the customer what service with a smile really looks like.
on whole not a bad place to work
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee), Donnington,September 17, 2014
Cons: having to work to many weekends
not a bad place to work. But they have no idea on the logistical side of the business. And there is no home work balance.
Fun and rewarding workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee), Cramlington, ENGAugust 21, 2014
Working for Marks and Spencer's was very enjoyable, I loved working with the public and meeting the standards the managers set. I would of liked more responsibility and a chance to be able to fully express my creative side and my attention to detail. I also liked how I could get extra hours to show my willingness to work.
productive and welcoming workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), London, ENGAugust 14, 2014
My days at work were very convenient the hours and days were perfect for me. I got a chance to interact with our customers. I learned how to give customer VAT back got a chance to work on the variety of shop floors e.g. food, clothes and fitting rooms also done replenishment. I had challenging tasks one particular experience when a customer wanted help – more... to find some items but i had just gone on to a department where i did not no where anything was but customer was really happy with the end result which made me very happy i love to help people and feel very pleased and satisfied when i have completed my work. i enjoy meeting all different types of people and working in a team and on my own – less
Work Colleagues
Section Co-ordinator (Current Employee), LondonJuly 31, 2014
Pros: staff discount
Cons: no work life/home life balance
Fun and happy department to work in.
Long hours and anti social shifts expected to be done.
a busy friendly work place
Visual Merchandising/Mannequin dressing (Former Employee), Marble Arch Station, ENGJuly 12, 2014
I studied at Fashion Retail Academy after I had finished school, the course included a two week work experience in a retail store. My duties included:
• Working on the shop floor/on the tills
• Visual Merchandising/Mannequin dressing
• Ordering desk/refunds
Good
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), Wrexham, WLSJuly 10, 2014
I enjoyed working here, we all had to work as a team and keep everything moving.
Friendly and welcoming worplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), greenockJuly 5, 2014
A typical day at Marks and Spencers : check in, head downstairs and check the area sheet to find out where you are working and what you will be doing. Go to the assigned area and complete your tasks. Meanwhile keeping an eye out for customers in need of assistance.
The management where welcoming and friendly as were the co-workers. It was like one big – more... family. I wouldn't say I noticed a particularly difficult part of the job although there were new challenges everyday. I enjoyed the family feel at Marks and Spencers and the new challenges and new customers that arrived everyday. – less
ok but not great
Customer Assistant (Current Employee), Reigate, ENGJune 30, 2014
was good but my colleagues were the only thing keeping me there. managers were rude but you just get by.
Nice place to work
customer assistant (Current Employee), newcastleJune 13, 2014
Pros: the salary
Cons: not paid enough for what you have to deal with
Very fast pace, with large demands in peak times. Learnt how to deal with a variety of people and to complete a task in a time limit.
I hated it
Work Experince (Former Employee), Merry HillMay 28, 2014
They got me doing the same thing every day by putting the little pips on top of the coat hangers.
great workplace
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Leeds city centreMay 22, 2014
Pros: working hours around my childrens school times
Cons: difficult customers
I loved working within a customer based career like this because you get to meet and help new people everyday. The staff I worked with were great and very friendly which helped us to meet the job description of been customer advisers.
A great productive workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee), londonApril 10, 2014
Pros: christmas dinner/party, discount, lovely people
Cons: frequently short staffed
Day to day duties at M&S was simply rota work. Hour by hour would be switched between Tills and serving customers to fitting rooms and assistance. Then maintaining stock levels on shop floor and assisting customers at some points with personal shopping.
The management were very nice and understanding.
The co workers were lovely. Made great friends after – more... and still keep in touch.
The hardest part of the job was when I had angry customers who would vent their anger on us. The other hard part was when we were short staffed.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new customers and different people through the day. – less
brilliant family work place
marks and spencers (Former Employee), London, ENGApril 8, 2014
Pros: manager discretion gift
Cons: constant late night shift
diverse co workers all ages all walks of life.
typical day could be till work shelf replenishment, going on different floors to help staff shortages, shelf displays and generally helping the public with their enquirie.
hardest part time limits on your work load
enjoyable part my co workers made my day fun filled
Interesting work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee), Gainsborough, ENGApril 7, 2014
Pros: pensions, staff discount
Cons: lack of hours
I enjoyed my time at Marks and Spencer's, all my co worker were very friendly, we worked well as a team. I learnt many new skills during my time with the company. I would recommend M&S as an employer.

1 2 3 4