Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Working as a part time job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  LondonAugust 27, 2017
Working as a part time job

Responsibilities

Assessed customer needs and responded to questions.
Organized register supplies.
Worked with customer service to resolve issues.
Provided professional and courteous service at all times.
Typical Grocery Store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Not in AmericaApril 18, 2017
It is your typical grocery store scenario. You are given standard tasks to complete each day - Filling shelves, assisting customers, unloading/loading new delivery.
Really Enjoyable
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coilers WoodJanuary 23, 2017
Tasks for the day were always clear and set out. Management where great and didn't give employees any amount of work they couldn't handle. There weren't any aspects of the job i would say was hard.
Pros
Great Staff areas
Cons
Unpaid lunches
fun workplace
Warehouse Operative (inventory Department) (Current Employee) –  Castle Donington, UKJanuary 18, 2017
i miss working at the castle donnigton warehouse of marks and spencer, it a great place to work, harding working colleagues and probably the safest warehouse i have ever been to
Intern
Women's Wear Press Intern (Former Employee) –  London, OHDecember 14, 2016
Interning with Marks and Spencer taught me a lot about behind the scenes and working in a show room. A lot of samples were always being brought back and sent out for magazines and a lot of their pieces were fashion pieces other companies saw as a competition. The bosses were fun and laid back, they have short friday.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
walking to other locations
Fun and enjoyable place to work
Bra Fitter (Current Employee) –  EnglandAugust 19, 2016
Going into work and seeing a happy customer is exactly what working retail and for M&S is all about. It's important to have a good work bond with your co-workers and management as customers like seeing a good supportive unit of staff when they enter a store.
Recruitment telephone number begins with 0845.
Hopeful. (Former Employee) –  BathJune 7, 2016
Passed the online and in store interview, then offered hours too little to get by on. Tried to apply for two more positions in the following couple of weeks and was given the run around. For a job seeker ringing a 0845 number is a swindle! The outfit needs a reality check.
Pros
Cons
Evasive.
good place to work
Operations Team Leader/Manager (Current Employee) –  Castle DoningtonMay 14, 2016
the coulture is really good
colleagues a re polite
managers have time for colleagues
pay is reasonable
not too far to travel
and i enjoy what i do
the most enjoyable part of a job
SENIOR SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  fotouh al khairAugust 22, 2015
loves to work at the same company but i am seeking for new opportunities. The staff are friendly and has a standard and well management.
management
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  DelhiJune 27, 2015
Very Helpful management and very cooperative listen very carefully yourself they give equal chance to each and every staff to prof theself
Pros
Cons
Healthcare
A wonderful school to learn management skills in retail.
Commercial Management trainee (Former Employee) –  LondonJune 25, 2015
As a commercial managment trainee, I spent most of my time on the salesfloor, a tough experience that gives a good insight on how to operate a store. The integration was quite difficult, since I was a foreigner, and the relationship with my co-workers very distant. What I found most difficult to deal with was the "military" organization which didn't allow creativity nor initiative.
Pros
A wonderful school to learn management skills.
Cons
A strict organization that doesn't allow creativity nor initiative.
The m&s experience
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, PAJune 12, 2015
A typical day at the Marks and Spencer, The Galleria is full of fun.

There is always so much to juggle.

I learnt about Health and Safety and the challenges of dealing with different people at work.
I got along well with the store manager. I was helping the store excel and she would let me know countless times that she does not regret employing me.

The hardest part of the job was handling stock. It could take hours to get the shop tidy after stock has been received and where there is a stock overflow then the shop begins to burst at its seams and it is very challenging to keep it looking tidy and bright all day long.

The good part of the job was that my manager always identified me and pulled me out for training opportunities that presented themselves. She believed in me. I made things happen.
Good Retail Company
Technical Administrator (Former Employee) –  LondonFebruary 26, 2015
Good company to work for.

Good benefits

Annual Bonus

Movement opportunities

Good staff

Staff Discount

Share Scheme

Pension Scheme
Benefits
Cons
Graduate Program
Leading International, multi channel retailer
Senior Allocator (Current Employee) –  London, OHFebruary 7, 2015
Marks and Spencers is a leading international, multi channel retailer with sustainability and people at its core. With over 450 international stores and 785 stores in the UK.
Great People
Sales Assistant Christmas temp (Former Employee) –  Crystal PeaksJanuary 19, 2015
Lovely place to work. Just a shame it was a Christmas temp job and there where no vacancies in the department i wanted. The customers where nice too. I worked in the ladies section on GM. It was very busy over the Christmas period and they extended my contract in to the new year to cope with returns and the sale. The staff discount was very good and came in handy for presents.
Pros
flexble
Cons
some early starts
sly comments made by other staff members, very patronizing
customer assistant (Former Employee) –  handforth deanDecember 24, 2014
Worked for Xmas temp (2014) at Handforth Dean; staff are very rude and made a lot of harsh comments making me feel useless and stupid ( I won't know everything straight away). Thrown in right at the deep end and expected to do everything right. Often found other employee's laughing and giggling to themselves at the mistakes I made. The two day training involved about 3 hours of watching DVD's about M and S and learning the money M and S makes and very basic till training. Only 6:70 an hour and very short breaks (had to rush my dinner and sometimes had no time to even eat it) got put on all the early shifts coming up to Christmas.

Would not recommend all the full time contracted staff think they are better than temp staff, very humiliating and belittling.
most enjoyable part: being able to put smile on customers face.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
shortbreaks rude staff, rude customers etc
Apply elsewhere
applied and interview for customer assistant (Former Employee) –  brother hood park peterboroughNovember 13, 2014
I applied for a customer service roll on line and got the interview.
I passed my interview with no trouble. In the interview they told me i would be doing late's so from around 1-2pm to 9-10 pm. This was great as I told them I use 2 buses to travel to work.
On my first day they changed my job roll to warehouse operations that was not the roll I applied or interviewed for and changed my hours to 6am- 2pm. on top of this you only get one brake every 8 hours and your working for 6:64 a hour. I told them I was unhappy with the changes and I cant work at 6 because the soonest I could get there is 7:25 using the soonest buses they let me work for the day and refused to change my shifts so I was forced to quit.
To top it off they also refused to pay me for my first day.
The ware house there is mind numbing and you feel your self getting dumber by the hour
Pros
free lunch toast big woop
Cons
one 30 min brake and changed job roll and shift times. and didn't pay
Worst company ever
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  ChelmsfordSeptember 29, 2014
The biggest tip I can give is Never work for M&S, or even apply.
If possible I would of gave a 0 rating

The staff are all very hard working, but receive zero gratitude or feedback from any managers, unless it's negative and they want your head on the blocks

The company stands for nothing and will take you for everything they can once you leave the company

I was there 2 years and on my last day not one manager came to say goodbye, thankyou or good luck, just ignored me

If you're looking for praise for your work then you will only receive it from the customers and M&S is not for you

Absolutely horrific experience, the things they get away with is diabolical.

Worst workplace I have ever encountered
Various job skills required daily in a retail environment.
Store Operations Facilitator and Coach (Former Employee) –  Chester, ENGSeptember 15, 2014
Carrying out daily health and safety procedures with key holder responsibilities.
Ensuring store opening according to company and trading standards regulations.
Booking in a variety of goods and commerce and selecting locations or relevant personal for processing.
Public safety through the internal CCTV system.
Extensive training was provided in all areas of business continuity, communication , health and safety and coaching requirements.
Daily interaction with management enabled on the job training and personal skills development.
An inner city store environment provided a wide selection of co workers, all of which had similar work ethics. Working with these staff was enjoyable and one of the better parts of the job.
More challenging aspects of the role involved deliverance of technical procedures and processes in group training environments. Ensuring all members were of equal understanding of such technical areas of the job was difficult after being provided with ever shortening timelines.
Staff development was critical and meeting required guidelines also provided self worth and a feeling of accomplishment on a daily basis.
Working for Marks and Spencer has engraved a professional work ethic within and a high attention to detail is one of strongest qualities.
Pros
flexible working situations.
Cons
continuing business changes.
fun workplace
cashier (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 15, 2014
learned a lot while working here. the manager was willing to work around family schedule
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

Marks and Spencer Reviews by Location