Marquette University Employee Reviews

Fun workplace, and great co-workers
Server (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 5, 2017
Depending on the day I would work at the sub stations, the baja station, or the salad station. I learned how to handle food safely, but also customer satisfaction. I also learned how to make food in a timely manner and make sure everyone had the correct order. Management was really good, about working around school schedules, and the co-workers were always fun to work with. The hardest part of the job, was just making sure everything stayed stocked during your shift, and not letting inventory run low. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the co-workers and just learning how to have fun while still working.
Pros
free employee meal
Cons
no healthcare
Marquette University is a good place to work
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 3, 2017
Working as a Postdoctoral Fellow in Marquette University was a very good experience. The University has very good management with added benefit of good cultural diversity in the work environment.
Exciting place to work due to Basketball and other things.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 28, 2016
Good place to work. Most of the people are very genuine and friendly. If an employee has a personal crisis, Marquette Community will take care of their own.
Pros
Responds well to personal crisis.
Cons
Some campus clergy appear to be less cordial when passing on the street.
Dedicated to provide an safe environment to their students.
Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 8, 2016
Marquette University is well recognize university world wide. Marquette is dedicated to provide an safe environment to their students.The diversity of culture of Marquette is very wide also is interesting how other staff are open to understand where are you from and the values you hold.
Pros
An professional and fun place to work.
Cons
Executive Assistant to the Chair (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 9, 2016
Support Staff Committee was excellent resourceful element for employees but it was eliminated. Communication was very important between upper mgmt. and middle mgmt.
Great place
Hartman Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WisconsinSeptember 13, 2015
awesome place to work
supportive community
all supplies and materials were provided
very helpful co-workers
finding parking is difficult and expensive
good benefits
not the safest neighborhood
Pros
supportive community
Cons
bad parking
Excellent setting!
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 11, 2016
Marquette University offers exceptional opportunities for individuals interested in working in higher academia. The departments are well managed and co-workers dedicated to the MU mission.
Pros
Teaching and learning opportunities
Cons
Parking in the downtown area.
Poor compensation, poor management- Great Students!
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 28, 2014
Horrible pay, expensive benefit pkgs., with high out of pocket costs in relation to compensation. Insurance premium increase of 10% annually.

Employer charges Parking Fees to Employee utilizing any parking lot (around $80 a month).

Merit raises for employee (rated 4/5 scale) is 1%. Doesn't matter what you are rated all staff are given same raise.

Employees are requested to make regular donations BACK to the school. (voluntary)

Continual work load increases w/o compensation or comp-time

From the top to the bottom - management is poor at best, and retained.
New management is shown how to intimidate, and lead with a stick.
No On-boarding for new hires which sets employees up to fail, or driven away resulting in a high turnover rate. Employees are continually absorbing this extra work.

High crime location

Positives-

Tuition compensation for employee (that is accepted into a program)

Dependent Tuition compensation- After employee has worked full time for 5 years.

Retirement benefit they match your 5% with 8%. Too bad majority of staff can't afford the 5%

GROW classes - if employee is able to attend during workday.

Best part- The students and faculty- I found, professionally and personally enriching! I figured out how to gain a ton of experience and knowledge!
Great School
Undergraduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 10, 2016
Gives freshman a chance to partake in research which is practically unheard of at other colleges. The co-workers are fantastic and it is a great environment.
Amazing institution built with wonderful people
Assistant Director - Prospect Management (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 1, 2014
I can't say enough about Marquette, it has been the largest single institution in my life and I am honored to be part of its family. As a workplace, its benefits and work-life balance are unmatched
Excellent Teaching Environment
Teaching Assistant of Spanish (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 22, 2015
My typical workday would change every semester, but I taught 2 sections of Elementary or Intermediate Spanish MTWTh or MWF. Class size was always very reasonable, then again I did normally teach an 8:00am class or a late class that always have low enrollment.
I learned a lot about teaching methodologies and ways to teach Spanish. This Teaching Assistant-ship was part of a scholarship offered by Marquette in which you teach 2 sections of Spanish and your tuition towards a Masters Degree is paid for. Therefore, I learned so much both inside and outside the classroom.
My co-workers were excellent, I could not have more lucky to have such helpful and friendly teaching assistants as well as professors that often helped with my questions/concerns about what was going on in my classes.
The hardest part of this job were the hours. One semester I had to teach at 8:00am MTWTh and at 5:45pm on MW. It can be difficult to communicate with some of the professors and also the teaching methods used in class were not very popular with students. I had some really bad students, something one would not expect from a university student, but I also had really involved students. Knowing that I got through to at least some of my students was the most rewarding part of this job.
The most enjoyable part was creating lesson plans independently and adjusting them to make them as engaging as possible. Also, the friendships I have now are the best I've ever had. Not only have these people helped and supported our teaching efforts, they will also be helpful in the future.
The two years of this Teaching
  more... Assistant-ship have been the best of my life, in spite of the stress and challenges I had to face.  less
Pros
Independent, worked with excellent and like-mided people; decent benefits
Cons
Hours, some lack in benefits, poor adivising -particularly for after graduation
Good job to work for.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee County, WIMay 16, 2016
productive and fun workplace, completing my task, verifying all information. A good working teams. A typical day at work Typing and making sure all information is correct.
Experience was OK
HR/Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 15, 2012
If you're someone who likes to have a stable, consistent job - Marquette is a good place for you. There is absolutely no career growth, pay is mediocre, but benefits are fantastic.
Enjoyed being on campus and college atmosphere
AP Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 13, 2016
Very interesting to work in university setting. Gained exposure to
working at a university. Followed GAAP. Worked with friendly team members.
good
Adjunct Clinical Instructor, (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 11, 2016
all the above jobs gave me my love of medicine, and a wide variety of both good and bad experiences and the ability to handle emergencies
Pros
variety
Cons
shift work
Very engaging and empowering experience.
Chapel guide/educator (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 28, 2016
A highly ethical employer. Very respectful and empowering to the individual. They operate by the standards of a Jesuit institution, including consideration of the individual.
Best Place to Work
Sterilization clerk (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 18, 2015
While the management is a little buggy, I like working for marquette in various positions to which I just wanted to make more hours in each job but they cap each student at 15 hours so I acquired more work and that would a struggle collaborating my schedules so yeah. But I like the work and the coworkers.
Pros
Students can find work
Supportive and fun work environment
Assistant Coach, Marquette Women's Lacrosse (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 14, 2015
This is a great place to work. The athletic department is comprised of competitive, successful, and self-motivated individuals. There is plenty of support and encouragement throughout the department. It is a close knit and fun work environment.
Student Employee
Student (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 3, 2015
I was a student employee and had to work part time on campus to help pay for school. I worked at the AMU and it was a happy environment to work in. The work got tedious but it paid the bills.
Review Summary*
Software (Current Employee) –  MilwaukeeSeptember 24, 2015
Good Company to work, good work cluture and management
Fun work place with supportive management, not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marquette University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4