Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Found 7,092 reviews matching the search
Terrible management and no advancement
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 31, 2016
I worked at the Marriott in downtown winston-salem and it was dreadful. The management and human resources department never knew anything. The front office manager had a bad attitude she picked favorites. She would treat you differently then she would treat her favorites and she didn't care who had a problem with it. She never gave you any type of praise when you did well or went over and beyond for a guest. She always made big deals about petty things always focusing on what wasn't done. There was no balance between family life and work. They don't care if you was sick, had a death in the family or car problems they would still write you up for being absent. They have been through sooooo many different managers and front office clerks in just a short amount of time which is a BIG sign.
Pros
Free lunch great benefits
Cons
Low pay, terrible management, lack of advancement, no work balance
My favorite job ever
Guest Relations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INApril 1, 2016
I always looked forward to going into work in the mornings. My co-workers were my family and the guests were my friends. My day was mostly always the same, in terms of my responsibilities. However, the job was exciting because you just never know what will happen in a day in the hospitality industry.
I grew a lot at TownePlace Suites and I learned who I was. I learned not to let others' opinions of me affect the way I saw myself. I learned that not everyone will pull their weight at work, but many will step up when help is needed. And I learned to accept others from every walk of life.
I learned that you may not always agree with the management but that they have the experience and skills to make the hard decisions. I can't really say that there was a hard part. Meeting new people and making friends was my favorite part of the job.
Pros
Aflac insurance and regular raises, great owners to work for
Cons
Some departments were expected to perform their jobs without proper equipment and time.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Guest Service Agent/Concierge (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMarch 20, 2016
A typical day at work is have its highest and lowest depending on how many people will be stay in the hotel.

What I've learned is how to understand all types of people, giving me even better communication skills.

Management is great, I really do like my staff at work.

My co-workers are really nice and since we are here a lot we all have a great bond.

The hardest part of my job, is understanding the computer system of the hotel. Ever hotel uses a different system, so it took a while getting use to.

The most enjoyable part of my job, is the people. Helping people, and understanding their needs. Building relationships has its perks as well.
Pros
The benefits and networking with different people from all over!
Cons
Short breaks
Friendly and accomodating
Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Marriott Residence Inn Mission ValleyApril 2, 2016
Great learning environment. A fantastic stepping stone for individuals who want to entertain the aspect of hospitality as a career. Career advancement is always offered. If your ready to be on the go, then this where you might want to be. Caters more to individuals who have no attachments and are less family oriented and can just relocate on a whim. Fantastic working atmosphere! Management is really hands off not much micro managing. Dialogue is casual and open ended.
Pros
Fun and spirit free
Cons
Pay is less than desireable and the compensation doesn't match the workload.
Productive working place with great and caring management and co workers.
Concierge (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 16, 2016
A typical day at work pretty busy and always something to get done.
I learned how to manage stressful working conditions properly and effectively without interfering with my work ethic.
The management team is always very helpful and eager to lend a listening ear for any situation or concerns and takes action to fix the problem.
My co-workers at the Marriott are by far the best that I have ever worked with providing a real feel of team work.
The hardest part of my job is managing to finish all of my tasks while also providing excellent customer service for the guests.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my co-workers.
Pros
Great pay and benefits.
Cons
Short breaks and chaoticness.
Life as a Marriott Housekeeper
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Titusville, FLMarch 18, 2016
There really is no typical day as a housekeeper you never really know what's going to happen from one day to the next.

But you learn a lot on customer skills
what management goes through , different ways of how you can handle what you go through because every room and guest is different . In a weird way your co- workers become people that you depend on a secret club almost.
They work and days go by faster when you work with people you enjoy working with.
The hardest is having to be ready for any and everything and being able to take on the toughest job in at least 24 minutes although it sounds easy it can be harder than you think. The best part of the job I would have to say is the bond that you build with the staff and going on at the end of the day being satisfied knowing that you helped make someone's stay at a Marriot a great experience and that's something to truly be happy about.
Pros
The hotel discounts and the pride they take in the staff
Cons
considered part time so no benefits .Havingrooms done in under 24 mins
Used to be great
Marketing Executive (Former Employee) –  Hilton Head Island, SCFebruary 22, 2016
Marriott has changed drastically since going public in 2011. The pressure to produce has gotten out of control. Associates are stressed, management is uptight, customers are mad (the new point based system is not what its cracked up to be). Benefits at Marriott are good and the associate travel benefits are outstanding. Marriott properties are excellent. Making money used to be significantly better and many sales representatives struggle to get by; many marketing reps struggle as well. The difference between the haves (those very successful) and the have-nots (those struggling to get by) has increased dramatically. It's just not the same company that it used to be.
Pros
travel benefits
Cons
stressed management and staff; high pressure; lessening income potential
High-powered production and highly professional setting
Lead Cook (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 16, 2016
8 to 10 hour work hours per 5 to 6 days (pending overtime)
Communication is practiced and implemented strongly
Management and employee relationship is impeccable and well-structured.
Co-workers are more than helpful and enticing, providing incredible feedback and executes excellent work ethics.
Because the work setting is busy on a daily basis, important elements are maintaining communication, safety, and professional conduct.
Guest interaction, employee / management relations, and hospitality services are the most enjoyable of the work.
Pros
Meal breaks and Company Benefits
productive and fun workplace where there is always something new to learn and new opportunities to create
Front Desk Agent/Breakfast Attendant (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 27, 2016
Great company, great work staff, always busy with neighboring restaurants, offices, and other businesses. Management does a great job picking front desk candidates and putting them in the best positions to succeed. At times, the hardest part of the job can be when you are by yourself and there is a line of people checking in or having questions and the phone is ringing at the same time. It can also be enjoyable at the same time because if the day was quiet prior to that moment, the time can go by faster and helps you pick up any extra duties that need to be done.
Pros
talking to guests, learning new things and creating opportunities, the culture, benefits
Cons
Large company with progressive views towards the future
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 26, 2016
MVCI has a fantastic attitude towards its employees and their input towards company growth. The management in place allows for continuous innovation and outside the box thinking, while maintaining excellent business practice standards. They promote a healthy work life balance and provide many opportunities to get involved in the community from a philanthropic standpoint.
Pros
Benefits and perks, competitive pay, aggressive innovation
Cons
Operational silos
Great, fun workplace, though there is room for improvement
Bellman/Concierge (Current Employee) –  Burlingame, CAJanuary 30, 2016
Great place to work, especially if you like working in a busy work environment. Everyone is super friendly and welcoming to new employees. It's fun, and if you are in a position that is allowed to take tips, they are great. Main cons:: The schedule comes out on a week to week basis so it makes it very hard to plan anything in the future in the span of one week.... Management is cool, but they don't know how to lead and encourage a team (nor schedule). They also lack experience within the hotel industry, and it shows in their management. Management also lacks acknowledgement for other departments beside the front desk. The company drills people to learn the 15/5 rule.
Pros
Good benefits, great place to work, they really take care of their employees
Cons
Short breaks
Great Experience
Externship (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 9, 2016
I really enjoyed the experience of talking and shadowing each department within the property. It changed my career decisions and I would love to be apart of the Marriott Company. The managers were amazing, and the idea of working together really came through. I loved there goals and there meetings every morning of their goals for today and where they were relative to those goals. It was a very inspiring experience. I learned that you need to work up within the hospitality industry and each department brings something very important to the table.
Pros
Impowerment, benefits, family culture
Cons
starting our hours
amazing place to work for
Guest Service Representative Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CAFebruary 27, 2016
Working at townplace suite was a great and freindly place to work. You would always meet new people for all around the world. I learned how to become for helpfull with guest concerns. management is great and helpful to there co workers and guest. They were easy to speak to. What was hard for me to work at townplace was the overnight hours. But i loved working for this company great atmosphere, good benefits and friendly co wokers
Pros
great discounts
Gain customer service experience
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Campbell, CAMarch 8, 2016
As a guest service agent I was able to communicate with guests in regards to solving room issues as well resolving them. I was responsible for opening the morning shift and preparing a list of vacant ready and dirty rooms for housekeeping and maintenance. I checked out guests and updated room information in the computer system, as well as prepare end of the month reports. When my shift was done, I would close it manually in the system and count out my safety deposit for the day.
Pros
discounted rooms
Cons
short breaks, healthcare benefits
Overall good company
Guest service representative / Night Audit (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 29, 2015
A typical day at work at Marriott International I was standing up for my whole shift no break on afternoon shifts checking in guests with all types of different personalities. I learned to always be on time and take your job seriously. When I trained others to me it wasnt hard at all and I feel it was because the way I taught my co workers were more slower than other trainers. My co workers were very helpful and it was a very family oriented environment.The hardest part of my job was learning the PMS computer system and dealing with very rude guest. The most enjoyable part of my job was the experience of being apart of a corporate company and seeing the growth and happiness of others.
Pros
Bennefits, seniority
Cons
Long hours, not much praise
Energetic and Fun place to work.
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Shawnee, KSMarch 28, 2016
My typical day is filled with laughter, enthusiasm, encouragement, and much more. I've learned how to be a better sales representative and through many changes in staffing, I've adapted and become a successful manager.

I've had the pleasure of working with some of the best Operations and Sales Managers in the industry and have learned so much in my time with the company. The hardest part of the job is finding a balance between scheduling visits with customers during high call volume times while training and educating the Sales Coordinator position.

The most enjoyable part of this position is establishing relationships with the customers and being able to provide them with the type of service they deserve and develops a loyalty to our hotel. Our customers know that I will do whatever it takes to ensure their service expectations are not only met but exceeded.Our customers know that they can count on me to assist with the many changes in even planning and execute a successful event.
Pros
Fun working environment, Trade-out Perks, Gratuities, Bonus Program
Cons
Limited Staffing, Being pulled into other departments, No Banquet Staffing, Low Salary
Awesome Company to Work For
Guest Services Agent/Concierge (Current Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CAFebruary 7, 2016
The Marriott brand is an awesome company to work for, it comes with a lot of benefits and employee incentives. If you work at the right property and the right management is in charge then it is definitely a company you would like to remain with as a long-term career path.
Pros
Great discounts, benefits, work environment
Cons
Back to back schedules, i.e work pm shift then next day scheduled to work am, and franchise owned properties
A social environment with a focus on service with great benefits.
Server/Bar Tender/Food Runner (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 7, 2016
Although new management has stepped in which may not be entirely agreeable, I admire the workforce here who has great dedication and friendliness. Due to the demand of business the opportunity to work many hours is available. The pay seems to be fair and the benefits are a perk.
Pros
HR offices located on site as well as a cafeteria with food at low cost.
Cons
New management has many employees questioning their values/attitude.
This is for Marriott International not Kansas City Airport Marriott as it is a Franchise now
Senior Event Manager for Marriott International (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 8, 2016
Marriott International
Excellent Leadership at proprety level
Good Balance
Advancemnet

Senior Corporate Leadership is now a non hotelier
The bottom line is all that matters now.
While the face of the company is still great the culture is not what is was for the last 30 years.
Pros
Enviorment pay benefits training
Cons
Not the employee and customer based company it used to be
Assistant Director of Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94133March 26, 2016
My daily routine was to check clock ins and outs where properly done, enter daily employee assignments in to a report for our records, inspected rooms to ensure cleanliness where to standards, etc.

Management and co-workers where great.

Harder part none, I'm really enjoy my job.
Pros
Free lunch, Healthcare, 401K, Vacation time, etc

Marriott International, Inc. Reviews by Location