Marriott International, Inc.
3,329 reviews

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews

Work environment needs regulation
Banquets (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 30, 2015
Pros: Free Lunches, workable wage
Cons: Lapses in Business, complacent managers
Our job was to launch banquet events according to the event orders for the day. Learned workload management, interacting with other departments to get banquet orders fulfilled. Co-workers were not forward-thinking, and at times inconsiderate to guest needs. Hardest part of the job was interacting with co-workers unwilling to execute in the workplace. The most enjoyable? Free food! Lots of downtime used to prep and clean.
Great Company
Event Coordinator (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 29, 2015
Pros: Weekly pay for hourly associates
Great benefits, management, and overall a GREAT COMPANY. I love working here. I would definitely recommend someone to work for the company because my experience thus far has been excellent
bad pay - not flexible
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEJune 29, 2015
I was forced to pump my breast milk in the laundry room (with people coming and going). If someone came in or the phone rang I had to stop pumping even if there were others that could have helped --they didn't. My milk dried up and I ended up having to feed my baby formula ($40 a can!!) I wish I knew my rights!

Also if I ever sat down to eat the GM looked at me like I was crazy even though he sat on facebook for hours at a time. I couldn't get out of there quick enough.
Learning expercience on ways managers run a resturaunt/bar
Hospitality-Bartender (Former Employee), The Woodlands, TXJune 29, 2015
Pros: employee rates, employee benefits
Cons: company support for life balance/hourly pay/ job security
typical day- arrive to work, clock in for schedule shifts, open area (entire Bistro/Bar/Kitchen/Starbucks) fully stock bar/fridge, turn on ovens, Set up tables/bars, count drawer, take orders/wait on customers, Use Micros system to maintain checks of guests, make/serve drinks, make/serve dinners, clean glasses, clean dishes, return dishes, return glasses, clean up tables, take/make/deliver to-go orders, count down drawer/ daily credit/cash report, make Daily Credit-Card drop, make Daily Cash drop, Clean area of any food, dust, or disposable materials, sweep/mop FOH and BOH stock for next shift, switch over each fridge, clean Starbucks machine/check espresso beans, set-up bar for morning shift, fill out daily food logs, daily refrigerator logs, do weekly inventory logs, drop Cash/Credit drops, return keys, clock out for scheduled shift.

Management/Co-workers could have been more helpful through-out shift when guests would arrive in groups and wait times exceeded 10 min

Best part of my work was communicating to the different people who came to the hotel and being able to make a positive impact on their lives and experience with the Marriott

Hardest part of my work was working so hard and many hours for so little appreciation from the company/coworkers/management
Marriott
Business Transient Sales Manager (Former Employee), Mount Laurel, NJJune 29, 2015
Loved working for Marriott, but shortly after arrival, the hotel lost the flag and it became independent. Losing Marriott name is suicide for any hotel.
Marriott
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee), DFWJune 29, 2015
Pros: the company by itself is awesome
Cons: very poor management
as per my experience, the typical day of work will depend on how passionate you are about what you do; I learned that are some things that you can't change but you can make the difference. Regarding management, I have experienced good and caring managers to work with and those who forgot the Marriott legacy "take care of the employees, so they take care of the guest"
There was high turn over in the management positions which seemed to keep customer service quality from reaching its full potential.
Bistro Attendant (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 28, 2015
Pros: Regular customers were a joy to serve.
Cons: 6 different managers the time that I was there.
I was excited to come to work because of guest. Serving people and making them feel at home was the highlight of the job. The over all building needed updating. That was probably the most consistent complaint from guest.
Learning and Growth
Maintenance / Van Driver (Former Employee), Beachwood, OHJune 28, 2015
Pros: I was part of a team
Cons: Commute
In Van Driver I would transport guest to and from the airport and other locations

In Maintenance:
Electrical/ Plumbing
Painting / Drywall
Taking care of the swimming pool
Repair and Replace items throughout the hotel as needed
Attended to the Guests needs
Maintained the Interior / Exterior of building
Housekeeping Cleaner
Housekeeping Cleaner (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 27, 2015
Pros: i love my jobs
Cons: no cons
Performs routine duties in cleaning and servicing of guest rooms and baths under supervision of housekeeping supervisor. Room attendant promotes a positive image of the property to guests and must be pleasant, honest, friendly and should also able to address guest requests and problems.
Excellent Company
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee), Lancaster, PAJune 27, 2015
I worked for them for over 7 yrs and loved the clients and co-workers alike. I would recommend this company to anyone that is looking to work with people.
fun place to work a few hard people work with.
Event Operations Intern (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAJune 27, 2015
Pros: free lunch, room discounts, language enhancement
Cons: short breaks
this job is a great place for you to learn management skill and it will also help you enhance your performance. You will bump into some people thats quite hard on you but if you can overcome that it'll just make other problems easier in life.
Had a wonderful time working here, and I wish I would've stayed.
VALET LEAD SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 27, 2015
It was a wonderful company to work for and, I would recommend it to anyone. Great atmosphere, great people, and properly ran. If the opportunity arises, I would return.
awsome
Chief Engineer (Current Employee), ft lauderdaleJune 27, 2015
great work great team and great place to grow
we never sleep!! i work so hard to get a better position and i get it

springhill and Fairfield suites are the best places ever
Inforative & Ifficent
Front Desk / Night Auditor (Current Employee), College Park, GAJune 26, 2015
Within Marriott the opportunities are available and the perks are phenomenal. In my time Ive learned a lot and enjoyed it as a hold.
great hotel, horrible cafe
Food Runner (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNJune 26, 2015
Pros: free lunch, great breaks, some great employees
Cons: horrible management, horrible hours, never enough employees
There was not a typical day, everyday was different in it's on way.
I would come in and do anything and everything anyone higher in management would tell me to do. I would greet guest, serve food, clean dishes, take dishes and silverware back and forth from the kitchen to the dinning room, get anything anyone needed, clean , and take out the trash.
not my first choice of employment. OK pay, bed bugs!!
Housekeeping aide/ loss prevention officer (Former Employee), Warren, MIJune 25, 2015
Pros: downtime. pay. work alone.
Cons: Bed Bugs, Unorganized, lazy coworkers, poor management.
The Residence Inn Warren is not organized. For the first 3 months I was receiving the wrong pay rate. My orientation and first day of work was the same day. They require you to do a lot of work that is not in your job description while being stopped every 5 to 20 minutes by front desk issues. poor training system.
Productive and fun work place
prep cook (Former Employee), plainview nyJune 25, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short breaks
Just like any other job it has its pros and cons. They create a very fun and friendly atmosphere. The staff is very helpful and they help you fit in right away.
Rooms Coordinator (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 25, 2015
Perfect place to work if seeking long term employment as well as loads of learning experiences . Also lots of room for advancement within the company.
Fun at First; Awful Later On
Room Attendant (Former Employee), Lufkin, TXJune 25, 2015
Pros: Same schedule every day; work on your own
Cons: Bad management; coworkers who don't want to actually work; having to do other people's jobs for them
I knew when I was being interviewed for a job at Courtyard (for room attendant) that I wanted to work there because the housekeeping manager was awesome. She actually seemed like a real person instead of just someone who was doing their job. Almost every person I talked to, it seemed like we were already friends, so I knew I liked the atmosphere.

For about a month, the job was amazing. I loved the fact that I knew exactly what I would be doing each day and got along with mostly everyone. I did start to notice, however, that certain room attendants were treated differently than others (think discrimination between races). There was one girl I worked with who would take her sweet time to get her rooms cleaned so that the rest of her "group" would come help her after they got done with their rooms. So I started doing this with my best friend, who started working there three days after me, and we ended up getting every single one of our rooms done in half the time it normally takes. We made sure that it was okay with our housekeeping manager before we started cleaning rooms together and she said it was fine, but the very next day, our housekeeping assistant (basically the room inspector) told us we couldn't do that anymore. So we were getting conflicting information from different managers.

Then, two weeks later, our room inspector got fired, which made everyone's jobs in our department harder. Our housekeeping manager had to be there every single day to get the rooms inspected and, therefore, would have to bring her kids to work on the weekends. Her kids were never in the – more... way, but the same "group" of people I spoke about earlier felt differently. I'll come back to that in a minute.

Two weeks after our room inspector got fired, our general manager decided to quit. I talked to her about her decision and she said that Courtyard was basically forcing her hand. They kept complaining to her about the standards of the hotel (about how we didn't have enough supplies for every room and how we'd failed inspection once - keep in mind that the inspector only had to find one hair in a room to fail a hotel, which is completely ridiculous), even though the company was the reason why we failed inspection. We didn't have all the supplies we needed because the company wouldn't give our branch the money it needed to buy everything. So our general manager got fed up with being blamed for everything for 6 years and left. I don't blame her at all.

And then - another two weeks later - my friend and I, who carpooled, pull up to work to see the building owner (basically our boss's boss's boss) and our housekeeping manager outside, deep in conversation. We both had this feeling of dread and, sure enough, she had been fired. So for a few weeks, we were left with no management at all! We constantly ran out of supplies, no one would make the laundry people do their jobs, so we would run out of towels and linens constantly, and the room attendants all started fighting over supplies because that one "group" I mentioned would come in early so that they could overfill their buggies so they wouldn't have to come back downstairs for more supplies - leaving everyone else without enough to supplies to even halfway fill their buggies.

After our HM was fired, we found out that the "group" of people I was talking about earlier was responsible for both our HM and AHM getting fired. They had gone to the building owner and told him that AHM wasn't doing her job - not true; she was doing her job, trying to make THEM do their jobs and they got mad - and that HM was letting her daughter do the room inspections - totally and completely fabricated!

Finally, they get a new general manager in place and she was awful! They kept going on and on about how they were trying to find a new general manager who would be respectful and open to us, but she was anything but! Every time we would go to her about the others taking too many supplies or laundry not doing their jobs, she would completely ignore our complaints and tell us to, "just go do your job," in a snarky attitude. One day, my BFF found that someone had been smoking in one of our rooms (we were completely non-smoking in the whole building) and came downstairs to ask whether she should take pictures or not and get the vapor fan to get the smell out of the room. Our fill-in inspector (a wonderful guy who worked his butt off, usually worked at the front desk, but helped us out because he was just a really good person) had told her to go up to the room and take pictures before doing anything, but our general manger told her to take the trash out first. My BFF simply asked - and I was there, so I know - which is it they wanted her to do. Our GM then yelled at her, "Oh my God, just please get out of here! Just please go do your job!" She was the most disrespectful boss I've ever had in my entire life!

And now we come to the worst part, which is why I quit. They finally hired a new housekeeping manager. I was off for her first two days, but I had to go up there to give one of my coworkers something she left in my car. I asked her about our new HM and the very first thing she said was that her breath smelled like death. She said, "She can be standing all the way across the room and you can still smell it." I thought she was exaggerating, but when I got back, I understood. This woman's breath was awful and you couldn't get away from it. If you stood in a small room with her, like the hotel room bathrooms or her office, it would fill the whole room up and leave you coughing for fresh air. But that isn't what made me quit; it was her attitude.

That same day, we had a conference going on for a certain group of religious people (indeed won't let my type the name) in the area (they seemed to have a conference every other week, if not every week). Well, not to be rude or anything, but all the room attendants hated it when they came because they would leave their rooms a gigantic mess. They would cram 8 people in one room, so that's a lot of trash. All the women keep their hair really long, so there were really long hairs everywhere. I even had one room where someone had thrown everything that was on a tabletop on the ground. They all used the pull out couches and roll-away beds we had. It may not sound like it, but just taking the linen off of the couch bed (and replacing it) and roll-away bed (and bringing it back to the storage room) takes an extra 15 minutes at least. That's a lot of time to a hotel.

That day, I had 17 rooms, only 2 of which were stay-overs (stays only take about 3 minutes, whereas check-outs take about 30 - 45 minutes, depending). So I already knew that there was no way I'd get all of my rooms done that day. I tried as hard as I could, though, and only took two ten-minute breaks to smoke. I didn't even take my lunch break. We're supposed to stop at 5PM - that's when our cards stop working - but I had so many rooms that the new HM made me work until 8PM. This was a problem because I rode with my BFF to work, she can't see after dark, and we lived an hour away. So we were already irritated when our HM finally said we could stop and restock our buggies.

When we got finished, she stopped us and asked what had taken us so long. We answered: 1) You gave us 5 more checkouts than you gave anyone else; 2) the religious people are here and they are dirty as heck; 3) the laundry staff wasn't doing their job, so we had to keep coming up and down the stairs for linens. She then told us that we weren't allowed to take smoke breaks anymore until we could get out of there by 3PM (we usually did finish by 3). I was so angry that I didn't even mention that I didn't take a lunch break, so I was actually entitled to another ten minute break (we got 30 minutes for lunch) and just clocked out and left without another word.

And that's how I quit.

So be careful when it comes to Courtyard Marriott. It may seem fine at first, but they can do a whole management change and everything will change. – less
Good company flexible if attending school
Front Desk Supervisor (Former Employee), Baldwin Park, CAJune 24, 2015
Company itself is a good. However i worked for privately owned Marriott. General manager was a horrible boss. The hours are good if you are going to school and its very flexible.

1 2 3 4 5

About Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc., is a leading lodging and hospitality company that develops, operates, and franchises hotels, corporate – Read more

Marriott International, Inc. Salaries