Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Found 4,019 reviews matching the search
Terrible management and no advancement
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 31, 2016
I worked at the Marriott in downtown winston-salem and it was dreadful. The management and human resources department never knew anything. The front office manager had a bad attitude she picked favorites. She would treat you differently then she would treat her favorites and she didn't care who had a problem with it. She never gave you any type of praise when you did well or went over and beyond for a guest. She always made big deals about petty things always focusing on what wasn't done. There was no balance between family life and work. They don't care if you was sick, had a death in the family or car problems they would still write you up for being absent. They have been through sooooo many different managers and front office clerks in just a short amount of time which is a BIG sign.
Pros
Free lunch great benefits
Cons
Low pay, terrible management, lack of advancement, no work balance
productive and fun workplace where there is always something new to learn and new opportunities to create
Front Desk Agent/Breakfast Attendant (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 27, 2016
Great company, great work staff, always busy with neighboring restaurants, offices, and other businesses. Management does a great job picking front desk candidates and putting them in the best positions to succeed. At times, the hardest part of the job can be when you are by yourself and there is a line of people checking in or having questions and the phone is ringing at the same time. It can also be enjoyable at the same time because if the day was quiet prior to that moment, the time can go by faster and helps you pick up any extra duties that need to be done.
Pros
talking to guests, learning new things and creating opportunities, the culture, benefits
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Guest Service Agent/Concierge (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMarch 20, 2016
A typical day at work is have its highest and lowest depending on how many people will be stay in the hotel.

What I've learned is how to understand all types of people, giving me even better communication skills.

Management is great, I really do like my staff at work.

My co-workers are really nice and since we are here a lot we all have a great bond.

The hardest part of my job, is understanding the computer system of the hotel. Ever hotel uses a different system, so it took a while getting use to.

The most enjoyable part of my job, is the people. Helping people, and understanding their needs. Building relationships has its perks as well.
Pros
The benefits and networking with different people from all over!
Cons
Short breaks
Weird hours but it can be fun
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 27, 2016
Typical day is: checking in guests, checking out guests, handling guest problems, training new associates, training supervisors at times, and working with your team to get the day done. Management is okay, and, as in most companies, have their good days and bad days. Co-workers are awesome and almost always have your back. We work well as a team and get the hotel great scores and our owners lots of money. Hardest part of the job is having to work at hours that your friends might not, for example, working overnight or getting off super early when your friends are at work. Be expected to work almost every weekend unless you are upper management. The most enjoyable part of the job is talking with people from all over the world and getting to know them and their cultures.
Pros
Great room rates, good medical and dental care coverage
Cons
Weird hours
Productive working place with great and caring management and co workers.
Concierge (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 16, 2016
A typical day at work pretty busy and always something to get done.
I learned how to manage stressful working conditions properly and effectively without interfering with my work ethic.
The management team is always very helpful and eager to lend a listening ear for any situation or concerns and takes action to fix the problem.
My co-workers at the Marriott are by far the best that I have ever worked with providing a real feel of team work.
The hardest part of my job is managing to finish all of my tasks while also providing excellent customer service for the guests.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my co-workers.
Pros
Great pay and benefits.
Cons
Short breaks and chaoticness.
Life as a Marriott Housekeeper
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Titusville, FLMarch 18, 2016
There really is no typical day as a housekeeper you never really know what's going to happen from one day to the next.

But you learn a lot on customer skills
what management goes through , different ways of how you can handle what you go through because every room and guest is different . In a weird way your co- workers become people that you depend on a secret club almost.
They work and days go by faster when you work with people you enjoy working with.
The hardest is having to be ready for any and everything and being able to take on the toughest job in at least 24 minutes although it sounds easy it can be harder than you think. The best part of the job I would have to say is the bond that you build with the staff and going on at the end of the day being satisfied knowing that you helped make someone's stay at a Marriot a great experience and that's something to truly be happy about.
Pros
The hotel discounts and the pride they take in the staff
Cons
considered part time so no benefits .Havingrooms done in under 24 mins
High productivity level
Pantry Clerk Ambassador/Host (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 2, 2016
Guaranteed customer service
Benefits
Cons
Complaints
Hospitality
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMarch 15, 2016
During my experience in Hospitality, I have grown tremendously. I began my career by becoming a part time front desk associate for the Residence Inn. After my hard work and dedication, I was offered the job of front desk supervisor at the Courtyard that was due to open by the end of 2014. I eagerly took this job and shortly upon doing so was offered a promotion to operations manager. After working there for many months, I chose to move to another location and take over the Assistant Management position there. Throughout my journey, I have learned and experienced many different skills that have made my drive to work in hospitality unstoppable.
High-powered production and highly professional setting
Lead Cook (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 16, 2016
8 to 10 hour work hours per 5 to 6 days (pending overtime)
Communication is practiced and implemented strongly
Management and employee relationship is impeccable and well-structured.
Co-workers are more than helpful and enticing, providing incredible feedback and executes excellent work ethics.
Because the work setting is busy on a daily basis, important elements are maintaining communication, safety, and professional conduct.
Guest interaction, employee / management relations, and hospitality services are the most enjoyable of the work.
Pros
Meal breaks and Company Benefits
Productive and challenging work place, very competitive
Reservations Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Grande Lakes OrlandoJanuary 7, 2016
Typically answered calls not only coming in from guests, but also supported all departments in the hotel. I learned sales through service skills which greatly improved my revenue productivity. Immediate colleagues were supportive and enjoyable to work with. The most difficult parts were hours and taking time off not too flexible, and not much room for growth or promotion.
Pros
Great culture and environment. Reduced lunches and open door policy with management
Cons
Could be better work and home life balance

Want to know more about Marriott International, Inc.?

Ask a question
Awesome Company to Work For
Guest Services Agent/Concierge (Current Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CAFebruary 7, 2016
The Marriott brand is an awesome company to work for, it comes with a lot of benefits and employee incentives. If you work at the right property and the right management is in charge then it is definitely a company you would like to remain with as a long-term career path.
Pros
Great discounts, benefits, work environment
Cons
Back to back schedules, i.e work pm shift then next day scheduled to work am, and franchise owned properties
The company becomes part of you.
Global Recruiting Coordinator - Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMarch 3, 2016
Great team or hard working people. Outstanding culture that is lived each and every day. With over twenty years with the company, I have seen it grow and see more exciting growth in the near future.
Pros
Work-life Balance, Company Energy, Team Spirit, Well Respected
Cons
Higher education outweighs experience for advancement seekers
Great Culture
Contracts Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMarch 30, 2016
The culture at Marriott is excellent. It makes sense as the industry is hospitality. They make sure that the keep traditional values all the while making room for millennials. It is a great place to be at.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Benefits package
Overall good company
Guest service representative / Night Audit (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 29, 2015
A typical day at work at Marriott International I was standing up for my whole shift no break on afternoon shifts checking in guests with all types of different personalities. I learned to always be on time and take your job seriously. When I trained others to me it wasnt hard at all and I feel it was because the way I taught my co workers were more slower than other trainers. My co workers were very helpful and it was a very family oriented environment.The hardest part of my job was learning the PMS computer system and dealing with very rude guest. The most enjoyable part of my job was the experience of being apart of a corporate company and seeing the growth and happiness of others.
Pros
Bennefits, seniority
Cons
Long hours, not much praise
Great, fun workplace, though there is room for improvement
Bellman/Concierge (Current Employee) –  Burlingame, CAJanuary 30, 2016
Great place to work, especially if you like working in a busy work environment. Everyone is super friendly and welcoming to new employees. It's fun, and if you are in a position that is allowed to take tips, they are great. Main cons:: The schedule comes out on a week to week basis so it makes it very hard to plan anything in the future in the span of one week.... Management is cool, but they don't know how to lead and encourage a team (nor schedule). They also lack experience within the hotel industry, and it shows in their management. Management also lacks acknowledgement for other departments beside the front desk. The company drills people to learn the 15/5 rule.
Pros
Good benefits, great place to work, they really take care of their employees
Cons
Short breaks
Midtown Suites Marriott
Rooms Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 21, 2016
My 14 year career was great until I was promoted to the Midtown Suites. The upper management team shows favoritism, and doesnt understand what the word training means. They were unprepared, for my arrival. They couldn't get me the things I needed to do my job effectively. The GM doesn't understand what it takes to run an hotel, AGM doesn't understand the job of the operations.
Benefits
Cons
Management for this property
My direct supervisor was excellent
Night Maintenace Engineer (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLJanuary 25, 2016
There is nepotism in upper management and what is good for one is not good for the other at this property. My hours consisted of 4-5 hours on average, 4 days a week. I only worked maximum of 24 hours per week.
Pros
My bose was great and the night tasks were not always hectick.
Cons
The pay is low with no hope of getting substantial raise or at all.
Good working culture
SharePoint Infrastructure Specialist (L4 Support) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 11, 2016
Good working culture,
Good brand,
Good employee satisfaction
Many benefits
Good pay master
Very traditonal technology they have,
Good career growth
Individual Contributor
FRONT DESK HOSPITALITY ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCOctober 9, 2015
I worked with the company while I was enrolled in college, so the schedule worked well with my classes. However the room for growth at the location I was with was very limited. Individuals had been working there for years with a minimal raise or job promotion. I believe after 1 year of working they gave me .50 cent raise. The culture was good for a college student because most the associates were young. I remember management being less than stellar; my GM rarely came to work, but he/she had the highest performing location in the state so the DM allowed he/she to skate by on 6 figure salary and minimal working days. As long as the bottom line was reached he/she rarely cared what happened. He/she did take reviews from customers very seriously. The issue with this job is its hospitality, so it's open 24/7/365, so we were mandated to work holidays. I worked for the company during the recession so hours were cut, which put a damper on the individuals who worked there full-time.
Cons
Work Holidays, Standing
Great Culture
AAA - Four Diamond - General Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 6, 2016
Great culture, opportunities for advancement, compensation all excellent. Professional senior management team who put their people first.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marriott International, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Marriott International, Inc. Reviews by Location