Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 3,532 reviews matching the search
Fun at First; Awful Later On
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXJune 25, 2015
I knew when I was being interviewed for a job at Courtyard (for room attendant) that I wanted to work there because the housekeeping manager was awesome. She actually seemed like a real person instead of just someone who was doing their job. Almost every person I talked to, it seemed like we were already friends, so I knew I liked the atmosphere.

For about a month, the job was amazing. I loved the fact that I knew exactly what I would be doing each day and got along with mostly everyone. I did start to notice, however, that certain room attendants were treated differently than others (think discrimination between races). There was one girl I worked with who would take her sweet time to get her rooms cleaned so that the rest of her "group" would come help her after they got done with their rooms. So I started doing this with my best friend, who started working there three days after me, and we ended up getting every single one of our rooms done in half the time it normally takes. We made sure that it was okay with our housekeeping manager before we started cleaning rooms together and she said it was fine, but the very next day, our housekeeping assistant (basically the room inspector) told us we couldn't do that anymore. So we were getting conflicting information from different managers.

Then, two weeks later, our room inspector got fired, which made everyone's jobs in our department harder. Our housekeeping manager had to be there every single day to get the rooms inspected and, therefore, would have to bring her kids to work on the weekends. Her kids were never in the
  more... way, but the same "group" of people I spoke about earlier felt differently. I'll come back to that in a minute.

Two weeks after our room inspector got fired, our general manager decided to quit. I talked to her about her decision and she said that Courtyard was basically forcing her hand. They kept complaining to her about the standards of the hotel (about how we didn't have enough supplies for every room and how we'd failed inspection once - keep in mind that the inspector only had to find one hair in a room to fail a hotel, which is completely ridiculous), even though the company was the reason why we failed inspection. We didn't have all the supplies we needed because the company wouldn't give our branch the money it needed to buy everything. So our general manager got fed up with being blamed for everything for 6 years and left. I don't blame her at all.

And then - another two weeks later - my friend and I, who carpooled, pull up to work to see the building owner (basically our boss's boss's boss) and our housekeeping manager outside, deep in conversation. We both had this feeling of dread and, sure enough, she had been fired. So for a few weeks, we were left with no management at all! We constantly ran out of supplies, no one would make the laundry people do their jobs, so we would run out of towels and linens constantly, and the room attendants all started fighting over supplies because that one "group" I mentioned would come in early so that they could overfill their buggies so they wouldn't have to come back downstairs for more supplies - leaving everyone else without enough to supplies to even halfway fill their buggies.

After our HM was fired, we found out that the "group" of people I was talking about earlier was responsible for both our HM and AHM getting fired. They had gone to the building owner and told him that AHM wasn't doing her job - not true; she was doing her job, trying to make THEM do their jobs and they got mad - and that HM was letting her daughter do the room inspections - totally and completely fabricated!

Finally, they get a new general manager in place and she was awful! They kept going on and on about how they were trying to find a new general manager who would be respectful and open to us, but she was anything but! Every time we would go to her about the others taking too many supplies or laundry not doing their jobs, she would completely ignore our complaints and tell us to, "just go do your job," in a snarky attitude. One day, my BFF found that someone had been smoking in one of our rooms (we were completely non-smoking in the whole building) and came downstairs to ask whether she should take pictures or not and get the vapor fan to get the smell out of the room. Our fill-in inspector (a wonderful guy who worked his butt off, usually worked at the front desk, but helped us out because he was just a really good person) had told her to go up to the room and take pictures before doing anything, but our general manger told her to take the trash out first. My BFF simply asked - and I was there, so I know - which is it they wanted her to do. Our GM then yelled at her, "Oh my God, just please get out of here! Just please go do your job!" She was the most disrespectful boss I've ever had in my entire life!

And now we come to the worst part, which is why I quit. They finally hired a new housekeeping manager. I was off for her first two days, but I had to go up there to give one of my coworkers something she left in my car. I asked her about our new HM and the very first thing she said was that her breath smelled like death. She said, "She can be standing all the way across the room and you can still smell it." I thought she was exaggerating, but when I got back, I understood. This woman's breath was awful and you couldn't get away from it. If you stood in a small room with her, like the hotel room bathrooms or her office, it would fill the whole room up and leave you coughing for fresh air. But that isn't what made me quit; it was her attitude.

That same day, we had a conference going on for a certain group of religious people (indeed won't let my type the name) in the area (they seemed to have a conference every other week, if not every week). Well, not to be rude or anything, but all the room attendants hated it when they came because they would leave their rooms a gigantic mess. They would cram 8 people in one room, so that's a lot of trash. All the women keep their hair really long, so there were really long hairs everywhere. I even had one room where someone had thrown everything that was on a tabletop on the ground. They all used the pull out couches and roll-away beds we had. It may not sound like it, but just taking the linen off of the couch bed (and replacing it) and roll-away bed (and bringing it back to the storage room) takes an extra 15 minutes at least. That's a lot of time to a hotel.

That day, I had 17 rooms, only 2 of which were stay-overs (stays only take about 3 minutes, whereas check-outs take about 30 - 45 minutes, depending). So I already knew that there was no way I'd get all of my rooms done that day. I tried as hard as I could, though, and only took two ten-minute breaks to smoke. I didn't even take my lunch break. We're supposed to stop at 5PM - that's when our cards stop working - but I had so many rooms that the new HM made me work until 8PM. This was a problem because I rode with my BFF to work, she can't see after dark, and we lived an hour away. So we were already irritated when our HM finally said we could stop and restock our buggies.

When we got finished, she stopped us and asked what had taken us so long. We answered: 1) You gave us 5 more checkouts than you gave anyone else; 2) the religious people are here and they are dirty as heck; 3) the laundry staff wasn't doing their job, so we had to keep coming up and down the stairs for linens. She then told us that we weren't allowed to take smoke breaks anymore until we could get out of there by 3PM (we usually did finish by 3). I was so angry that I didn't even mention that I didn't take a lunch break, so I was actually entitled to another ten minute break (we got 30 minutes for lunch) and just clocked out and left without another word.

And that's how I quit.

So be careful when it comes to Courtyard Marriott. It may seem fine at first, but they can do a whole management change and everything will change.
Pros
Same schedule every day; work on your own
Cons
Bad management; coworkers who don't want to actually work; having to do other people's jobs for them
Productive, Fun, Challenging, Family Oriented Place to work.
Lead Cook/ Front Desk Associate/ (Current Employee) –  Larkspur, CAJuly 18, 2013
A typical day at work for me is always different depending on the department I am scheduled to work in for the day. Mostly I run the kitchen in the hotel. Being quick on your feet to help the guests and to be aware of all details of how food items are prepared and delivered are crucial. In the kitchen I start off with getting any information from managers or staff members to prepare myself and my team for the day. During service I supervise both kitchen and front line. I constantly am moving. Checking on the guests and checking on the staff and productivity for the day. At the end of the shift, I make sure all money handling is done correctly and that we balance at the end of the night.

Working with the front desk department and the operations supervision department. I am needed to do check ins or outs. I am there to assist with any questions that guests may have to to make sure to be aware of details guests require and how the hotel handles them. I make sure to be available if any department is in need of extra assistance throughout the day and delegate what needs to be done to each department.

Being involved with the administration and Sales/Marketing department allows me to expand my knowledge with not only my hotel but various locations. We constantly are dealing with different groups and situations. Handling the event planning, execution, and follow up. As well as handling majority of billing and any other details that relate to our property, such as rooming for group blocks.

I've learned that within this type of business it is vital to be very versatile. Being able
  more... to work with whatever comes your way and to make best with what is available to you. I've learned to think quickly on my feet and solve problems as they come.

The management is excellent at my location. They are very supportive in all my training and listen to any issues that I may have and try to fix and/or compromise to the best of their ability. The co-workers at my location are like family to me. Everyone gets along very well. We have no complaints about each other.

The hardest part of my job is giving myself a break every now and then. Working for a place that is open 24 hours 7 days a week means there will constantly be the need for someone to be there to help the guests or take care of paper work or even oversee a department. The hardest thing about my work place is being so dedicated to your job that it sometimes you don't know how to take a break.

Which brings me to the most enjoyable part of my job. Its being needed. With the knowledge I have acquired, I am needed to do different tasks every day. Every day is different and everyday I am given the opportunity to do different things. I love this kind of work. I love my managers and my coworkers. I enjoy working for the company I work for.
Pros
free meal, discounts on rooms and programs, great management, excellent health benefits and 401k
Cons
commute to work, not having a set schedule
Great company with opportunity to travel!!
Front Desk Clerk/Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 20, 2015
My typical workday would include coming into work at 11pm and counting down the cash drawer to make sure it is balanced from the previous shifts. I then read our pass-along book for any important information that would pertain to my shift. I then stock our market with any snacks or beverages that are low and then check our gym to make sure the guest have towels and water handy. Around 2am I start running my audit reports and then do any other reports management has left for me to do ( monthly taxes, ordering food for the kitchen, monthly inventory, payable accounts). Once the audit reports have finished I then print out receipts for the guests that are departing in the morning and pass them under their doors. Once I'm done passing our receipts I then start setting up breakfast and make fresh coffee. After all that is done I then do an inspection of the pool/courtyard area to make sure there is no trash or towels to pick up. At 6am I start closing my shift and count the cash drawer and make any safe drops that are needed.

What I have learned: I have learned a lot working in Hospitality. I thought I knew what customer service was before working here and it is completely different.

Management: The management team at my location is not great. There is no communication between any of the managers or the co-workers. The general manager does not set a great example for the staff. When problems occur between co-workers the situation or problem is not corrected.

Co-workers: My co-workers are easy to get along with. They are great and most do their jobs the correct way. Most days with
  more... my co-workers are great until the negativity between management and staff gets so bad that it starts affecting how they do their jobs.

The hardest part of my job is having no communication. I never know what problems we are having with the hotel or what problems the guest are having and then when I'm questioned by a guest as to what corrections are being made to fix their issues I cant give them the information they need. Another hard part of my job is when management fails to follow through with their responsibilities ( ordering supplies for office or market, not fixing known maintenance issues, etc.).

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I do my job very well. It's nice to know that they rely on only me to do certain tasks cause they know it will be done right the first time and within a timely manner.
Pros
pay increase, benefits, allowed to stay at hotel, random free catered lunches
Cons
lacking communication, no set schedule, off days are not respected, personal life is brought to work.
Rewarding and Challenging
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 18, 2013
Working for Texas Western Hospitality was like no other experience I have ever had. This company allowed me to not only grow professionally, but personally as well.

The management teams philosophy was that each individual hotel was it's own small business, and the GM was the CEO. It was up to us to make the right decisions for our property and to make it successful. This provided me with a feeling of ownership over the property, encouraging me to give Texas Western my best. My best eventually lead to a promotion from sales to the General Manager of the property and some regional responsibilities with our sister property in Spartanburg. If we were to make mistake or error in our decision making, management would show us our error, and offer suggestions how a better decision could have been made.

A typical day at work normally involved me arriving at the property between 6:30 AM and 7:00 AM so that I had time to interact with the guests during breakfast. I did this for several reasons. First to get to know our guests, get feedback from them on how the hotel could improve, and to garner sales leads for the sales department. From there I would spend time interacting with all departments to ensure everyone on the team was in their best spirits and ready to tackle the day. From there I would follow up with any other staff issues, paperwork that needed to be completed for corporate,or other requests that needed to be handled, I would then in the afternoon once again focus on the hotels guests greeting some of the new arrivals before I departed in the evening.

Over my time with Residence
  more... Inn Charlotte University and Texas Western International, I believe the part that I enjoyed the most with the interaction with my associates and co-workers. I came in having taken Mr. Marriott's first principal to heart. If you take care of the associates, the associates will take care of the guests and the guests will keep coming back over and over. My focus on my staff is always my top priority. We have grown from a team into a real family. Everyone on the team will pitch or stand up for one another when needed. It's a bond that has helped drive a 25 year old hotel to the top of the staff service scores on guest satisfaction, and culminated with a Brand Standards Audit Score of 95.7%, which is in the top 10 scores for the Residence Inn Brand this year, and only one of 2 hotels in that top 10 whose hotel is older than 20 years.  less
Pros
interaction with staff, team atmosphere
Great Job if You Drink the "Kool-Aide"
Front Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 7, 2015
I have almost 5 years working at Marriott with experience in the front office and engineering. I worked as a front desk agent, rooms controller, and front office supervisor. I had to deal with angry people all day long, most of whom were the most disgusting type of people including the management. You want to see the worst in human-kind work at a hotel. My coworkers were great and the only reason I miss this job. Although you worked in a small office and saw them more than your own family, so like most places, it became a little bit like high school. Job Work/Life Balance was never good. You worked first shift, second shift, holidays, and weekends. Due to the nature of hotels you would never know which days you worked and at what time until Thursday evening and the schedule starts on Saturday - this isn't Marriott's fault but a byproduct of the business. Management was most incompetent as they promote based on politics and who you know. Most times a promotion was already decided on before interviews even started. Hardest part of the job was faking it to the guests. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of extremely nice people and a few repeat guests that I generally got excited about when I saw them but there was also a lot of snotty, upperclass types that treated the staff as servants and scum. Maybe that's because I worked in Fort Lauderdale and that is the clientele, I don't know, but I had to kiss a lot of butt to those who did not deserve it. Plenty of times I would see guests lie and even go as far as threatening to get myself or a co-worker fired just so they can save  more... $50. The most enjoyable part of my day was the open office type set-up and ease of communication between employees. My coworkers were great and made coming to work enjoyable. The pay was decent compared to most other hotels (started at $12.25, ended at $16) but compared to what was expected of you and the things you dealt with on a daily basis the compensation didn't seem fair. The job wasn't physically demanding but took a huge emotional toll on me on a daily basis since you basically get yelled at multiple times each day. The pay increases were minimal even with promotions but the amount of work almost doubled for the same position in the 5 years I was there.  less
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management, lack of work/life balance, most guests
Overworked Employees
Bartender (Current Employee) –  St Thomas, VIAugust 10, 2014
I think a large majority of the staff at my location is overworked. I moved to the islands because I was working 6 or 7 shifts a week, several of those were doubles. I wanted to get away, move somewhere laid back and relaxing, work and enjoy life. I am now working 6 shifts a week again and am so frustrated and tired that on my day off I don't really enjoy it because of the anxiety of knowing I have to be back at work in the morning. Customers notice that the employees are frustrated and working all the time, but nothing is done about it. Instead of hiring more people, they've waited until it's almost slow season ( a time when it would be stupid to hire someone else) and now all the senior employees are starting to cash in on their accumulated vacation time leaving the newer employees to be worked literally like slaves. And speaking of stress, you constantly have to worry about someone writing a negative review about you or leaving a bad guest survey. I don't think those things should necessarily fall back on the employee all the time. I read TripAdvisor everyday, and a lot of times people who write negative reviews ALWAYS write negative reviews because they're probably just a negative person. I get it, if someone has 15 bad guest surveys, they probably suck. But one guest survey from a guest who is a proven asshat shouldn't have an employee shaking in their boots about job security. Also there is a giant culture clash in the way Caribbean people give service and stateside people. Some of them are very set in their ways, stoic, and obstinate. Getting them to learn new things  more... and stick to it is nearly impossible, considering a lot of them have worked there since before I was born. Service can be slow and frustrating. Obviously, all of the Caribbean people can't be fired, but their way of working can clash completely with that of statesiders which is also a main complaint that I get from customers. All in all I am happy I got the job, because I will be using it to transfer elsewhere, however, I would not recommend it to anyone else and definitely wouldn't do it again starting here. It's been a very frustrating and tiring road. Hoping other Marriott hotels will show me a different face to the company.  less
Pros
the location is beautiful
Cons
no breaks, no work/life balance, constant stress from people writing negative reviews about you
13- a hour for all this responsibility.Insult to skilled workers!!!
Would never work here! (Former Employee) –  Parsippany NJJanuary 15, 2015
They are looking for a skilled worker to do all this for $13 or less a hour! What a insult!

Respond and attend to guest repair requests. Communicate with guests/customers to resolve maintenance issues with little to no supervision. Perform preventive maintenance on tools and equipment, including cleaning and lubrication. Visually inspect tools, equipment, or machines. Carry equipment (e.g., tools, radio). Identify, locate, and operate all shut-off valves for equipment. Maintain maintenance inventory and requisition parts and supplies as needed. Assure each day’
s activities and problems that occur are communicated to the other shifts using approved communication programs and standards. Display advanced ability to read standard blue prints and electrical schematics concerning plumbing and HVAC. Display above average engineering operations skills and strong general mechanical ability. Display proficiency in at least three of the following categories, above average skills in three more of the following categories and basic skills in the remaining categories: air conditioning and refrigeration, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, pneumatic/electronic systems and controls, carpentry and finish skills, kitchen equipment, vehicles, energy conservation, and/or general building management. Display solid knowledge and skill in the safe use of hand and power tools and other materials required to perform repair and maintenance tasks. Safely perform highly complex repairs of the physical property, electrical, plumbing and mechanical equipment, air conditioners, refrigeration and pool heaters
  more... - ensuring all methods, materials and practices meet company standards and Local and National codes - with little or no supervision. Troubleshoot and perform repairs on all types of equipment (e.g., pump and motor replacement), plumbing (e.g., plunge toilets and unclog drains), electrical equipment including lamps, air conditioners, HVAC equipment, cosmetic items, extension cords, vacuum cleaners, internet devices, replace electrical switches and outlets, and program TV's. Use the Lockout/Tagout system before performing any maintenance work. Display advanced knowledge of all engineering computer programs related to preventative maintenance, energy management, and other systems, including devices that interact with such programs. Perform advanced troubleshooting of hotel Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) systems. Display the ability to train and mentor other engineers as necessary. Display ability to perform Engineer on Duty responsibilities, including readings and rounds.  less
Guest Service Representative
GUEST SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAMay 29, 2015
Operate telephone switchboard station in order to answer telephone calls. Process guest requests for wake up calls, screening calls, do not disturb, call forwarding, conference calls, TDD relay calls, and non-registered guest calls. Answer, record, and process all guest calls, messages, requests, questions, or concerns. Assist guests with accessing the internet. Supply guests with directions and information regarding property amenities, services, and hours of operation, and local areas of interest and activities. Contact appropriate individual or department (e.g., Bellperson, Housekeeping) as necessary to resolve guest call, request, or problem. Follow up with guests to ensure their requests or problems have been met to their satisfaction. Communicate parking procedures to guests/visitors. Dispatch bell staff or valet staff as needed.
Assist management in training, motivating, and coaching employees; and serve as a role model. Reportaccidents, injuries, and unsafe work conditions to manager; and maintain awareness of undesirable persons on property premises. Follow all company policies and procedures, ensure uniform and personal appearance are clean and
professional, maintain confidentiality of proprietary information, and protect company assets. Welcome and acknowledge all guests according to company standards, anticipate and address guests’ service needs, assist individuals with disabilities, and thank guests with genuine appreciation. Speak with others using clear and professional language, and answer telephones using appropriate etiquette. Develop and maintain positive
  more... working relationships with others, and support team to reach common goals. Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards. Read and visually verify information in a variety of formats; stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time. Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 10 pounds without assistance. Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.  less
Pros
Excellence in customer service.
Cons
Needed to further my skills set.
Fun and Productive Work Place
Bellhop (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 13, 2013
I really enjoyed this job because it came with a lot of freedom. As one of the bellhops to Irvine's full-service Marriott we had a lot of responsibility. We were expected to full fill a typical bellhop's duties while also acting as concierge service, shuttle service (both to/from John Wayne and acted as courtesy shuttle for guest), runners (take things to guest rooms, excluding room service food but not drinks). A typical day would include either constant shuttle runs (2/hr to John Wayne) with a handful of bellhop tasks to be carried out in between (5-7mins between trips). Some days I would be the only person a guest would interact with; I would pick them up from the airport check them in (I got bored on a slow day and learned the front desk's position's work), take their luggage to them (and any request they had for the room I would have to prepare), then if they needed anything else to accommodate their stay I would bring it to them. They would later come down to me and ask where to eat or what to do and I would give them a handful of choices based on what they interested in and my personal recommendation. Then if the place was close enough I would personally drive them there and leave them with my name and the hotel's number to have me pick them up. In between my tasks I was free to walk around and help guests and co-workers out. Management did not have much interaction with me unless it was to point out an important guest and to make sure we knew of any preferences they had. My co-workers were all fun and professional. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the extreme  more... multi-tasking. There were days were we felt like we ran a marathon at the bellhop. I feel like this was a beneficial experience as I really learned to prioritize tasks and compound work on other tasks to be more efficient.  less
Pros
cheap meals, great tips, lots of freedom
Cons
ton's of work required, long hrs and i stayed half hr extra almost every day
Business centered restaurant in Sillicon Valley
Service Attendant/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAJune 12, 2013
• A typical shift is about 9+ hours, majority of which is set up and clean up. Most guests staying at this hotel are business travelers who stay at the Marriott throughout the week, therefore the employees get to know and remember most of the clientele.

• My food, wine, and alcohol knowledge was enhanced by working for the Marriott, as well as my ability to be resourceful in matters concerning lack of tools or shortages of menu items. Also, due to the inconsistency of the kitchen, I was able to give guests a reason to come back in to the dining room other than to simply have a meal, but rather have an experience.

• There are several managers and supervisors amongst all departments which was beneficial to employees as we were able to locate them quite easily. However, there was essentially no management on the weekends which although was a struggle as first, it also allowed me to grow and develop independently.

• Other than myself, there were two other servers in the restaurant who had been working for the Marriott for over ten years. I was aware of a high amount of animosity between them and also became instantly aware of their resistance to any change. I am a strong believer that the only consistency in life is change, and this concept is even more so in a restaurant setting.

• I believe the hardest part of my job was the inconsistency of the table distribution. Since there were no sections for each server, it was unclear what tables each server should take. This ultimately resulted in my compensation being highly variable.

• I really enjoyed getting to know the guests
  more... more personally and being able to anticipate their needs. It gave me a great sense of satisfaction when I was consistently able to recommend items to guests that were successful.  less
Pros
benefits, free dry cleaning
Cons
short breaks, long shifts
high stress but fun to work in. needed some work in management
❸ Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  houma, laJanuary 27, 2014
Morning smart starts meeting started every weekday at 9 am sharp. There you tell the other managers of the hotel what you will be doing through out the day and weekends if necessary. From there i would go back to the kitchen and make sure that lunch specials were started and prep work was being done. if banquets and parties happened to be going on that day this is when i would start my work by typing up fire sheets and recipe lists. trucks and deliveries cam in between 10am and 1 pm and would help/delegate to make sure truck was picked up and rotated properly. about 11 am on days of ordering i would put all my orders in to the computer or phone calls.
unfortunately i feel that i didn't get as much out of this job as i wanted. when i had applied for the chef position i had informed the GM of my lack of management training expecting to be shown or trained some how. i was thrown into the fire. it was rough and very difficult for me but i pushed through learning what i could with the stress i was under. i put in 60-75 hour work weeks in the beginning before they hired a manager to help and he(F&B Director Dustin Pellegrin) was very good at showing me and coaching me on managing employees. So i did learn some management skills through him and i finished my ordering and scheduling training and would do that with ease be for i was terminated. felt that i was set up to fail from the beginning
the hardest part was learning everyting without being shown. The GM would help but was very directing at times and other managers came in to show up and leave shortly later even if the kitchen
  more... was understaffed and needing help.
enjoyable part was my Co-workers and other administrative staff on slow days.
Pros
discounts across the world
Cons
needs a better work atmosphere and organization
A humbling experience
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJanuary 12, 2015
Everyday at the Residence Inn is different. You can start off your day with many rooms to clean but only clean a few. Then there are days when you actually have to clean more than expected. From this experience I have learned that little becomes much and that you must humble yourself to do a job this demanding and actually stick with it. I have learned to appreciate other jobs that I have had and to appreciate others who perform the same job as me. I have learned that sometimes hardwork pays off in this industry, hence the occasional tips from guest. I think that management is doing the best that they can with their budget. They are thoughful enough to give us employee luncheons almost every month. My co- workers are very helpful when they want to be. Some more than others but that is ok with me. I do appreciate the extra help on a really busy day. The hardest part of this job is maintaining the mindset to actually do the job and to keep a smile on your face while doing it. I know it is not supposed to be glamorous but I wish that the guest would actually take into consideration that someone has to clean up behind them when they trash the room. Some rooms are easier to clean than others and it is frustrating sometimes, but you still have to get the job done. The most enjoyable part of this job is talking to the guest who have been staying long term or they have come back several times. You learn their names, what they like, how they like their rooms cleaned ect. When you hear someones story about how they lost their home or are there for work it becomes a personal experience  more... for them. I have been told by several guest that I am the best houskeeper that they have had and I appreciate the positive feedback. Even though I have not yet recieved employee of the month and get a $50 gift card, I would rather hear the good things that come from the guest and know that it is truely appreciated by them. At the end of the day I know that I have atleast done something for someone so that they feel like they are at home. A hard job yes, but it has its rewards.  less
Pros
occasional tips from guests.
Cons
not enough money to live.
Pretty Good Place! **Long review**
Guest Service Representative/ Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  AtlantaOctober 19, 2014
Let me start off by saying that your experience at Marriott greatly depends on your LOCATION,the BRAND of Marriott property that you work at and the TYPE of guest the property caters to. Guests that come to the Ritz Carlton are obviously different from the guests that come to the Residence Inn.

My property is a Courtyard so it tends to the business traveler. My property is busy even though we only have about 150 rooms. I live in a major city. The enviornment can be stressful if a guest has a bad time with their stay, or if they dont get the room that they want. Teamwork is a big deal here. Be prepared to go above and beyond to make the guest(s) stay great. Management wants you to do this. You may have to baby the guest and stroke some of their egos to please them when they dont deserve it. Some guests will act like they are self entitled. But guests will be awesome 97% of the time. They give you food,gifts,cards,flowers,cookies,etc. and they are friendly and super cool.

Management is good for the most part, They have offered to buy me lunch a lot. They also try hard to work with your schedule if you have another job or if you are in school. You are empowered to make decisions all by yourself because lets face it, management is only at the hotel but so often. Many times you are at the front of the hotel all by yourself! You might have to make some tough decisions (ex.kicking ppl out the hotel). Hours can be all over the place if you do not have any other obligations. You will be asked to stay after hours if the hotel is busy.

The pay sucks as a guest representative. I hear
  more... that if you want to get ahead it helps to HAVE A MENTOR. Otherwise managment wont promote you...unless your lucky.  less
Pros
free lunch from management, discounted rooms, teamwork, empowerment
Cons
pay, healthcare expensive
Great team, fun job, just no challenge
Server (Current Employee) –  Siro Urban Italian KitchenDecember 30, 2013
A typical day at work during convention season is something you prepare for. We take a deep breath when you clock in and it begins, its a constant flow of people from the moment you walk in until the last minute before we close. It is a constant battle of making sure all your guests are happy and enjoying their dinner. Being able to get along and work with the entire front of house team as well as the back of house team. From being there the past year, I have learned to much on how easily you can make a difference in someones evening and how to work and deal with people in different situations, from families to people having business meetings or having a cocktail hour, everyone is different.
Management has generally been a great group to work with, of course you have some managers that just do not seem to appreciate you but it is just something that you come to terms with - the other managers though are great, really understanding can laugh and have a good time but are great managers. The one thing that I can say is that it is hard when you start and there are people that say it is a great way to move up and then you have the conversation with the manager that just doesn't seem to encourage moving up or makes it seem an impossible situation.
The hardest part of the job is just not having that challenge, being able to move up within the year has been great but it is a challenge for the first month or so but then it seems to become quite repetitive and nothing in the restaurant changes that much that you have to be challenged again.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing
  more... the smiles on peoples faces when they are done or are enjoying their meal, especially when you know its a birthday and you can surprise the child (usually they are here for Disney) or when you hear guests say it's their anniversary. It is a great feeling to make someone's night enjoyable and hope that you can leave them with an enjoyable memory.  less
Pros
fun work environment, great team, unbelievable food
Cons
no challenge, unable to grow
CY Marriott Monrovia
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Monrovia, CAJune 30, 2013
A typical day at work: my assistant GM refuses to keep the schedule consistant. She often schedules agents to work a PM shift (2-10:30p or 3-11:30pm) to have them back for an AM shift (5:30am-2 or 6am-2:30pm). After numerous times of asking her NOT to do that, it still continues. Hard work, dedicated, non complaining agents get the short end of the stick, while agents who lag on the job get promoted. Suggestions from agents that have had managerial experience at their previous place of employment often goes unnoticed, while the "teachers pets" get all the benefits, bonuses and praise. No opportunity for advancement or even a consideration to ask the senior agents what their goals and expectations are for their future. Actually, she doesn't go by seniority since we are not a "union company" (her words not mine). Im interested to know what she bases her decisions off of then?

My co-workers (agents, sales team, etc) are fine. It is a very lax environment as per my assistant GM. I find myself to be a hard worker who gets the job done at a timely fashion. I own up to my mistakes and rarley make them twice.

The hardest part of working at the Courtyard Monrovia location is the lack of consitancy. Agents who have no experience at the Front Desk, let alone in hospitality, are often hired, then management wonders why scores are down?

The most enjoyable... well, thats ceses to exsist at a place where talent goes unnoticed and hardwork is ignored.

Most guests are pleasant and are handled with care and and a genuine smile.
Pros
free meals
Cons
read below
Great company however the location I worked at flawed
Client Service Associate/ Bistro Server (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTJanuary 7, 2013
I worked at a Courtyard Marriott. Originally I applied for front desk agent. However when I was hired, the operational manager said that I will be working as a bistro serve then crossed trained as front desk agent. I have no bistro experience and have never worked in a restaurant before. I was not happy about this at all and felt I was misinformed. However at the time I needed a job so I accepted it. The hiring process was awful. It seemed the operational manager did not know what she was doing. I was told it was a new application process that's why it was taking so long. I completed all of the paper work that was required of me in a timely manner. It came to the point that the operational manager told me to call HR to see if my paper work has been processed and when. I have not worked for a company where I have to contact hr myself to get myself hired and move the process along. Unprofessional! My first couple of weeks in the bistro were hard. Since I had no prior experience in that field I felt a little under confident. Within my second week I was working a double shift and left alone to run the bistro. Whenever the bistro were to get busy the front desk agent is suppose to come and help out to kill the line. However when I worked that did not happen. The front desk agent and ASM would not come and assist me! Guest were complaining and did not like the one man team concept at all. Neither did I amongst other things. I meet staff member that were really nice caring fun people. The room discount was awesome. Marriott is a global company which means the opportunity for advancement  more... is endless however to advance in my opinion you would have to leave your current hotel location to go to another one that has an opening.

Overall my experience was fair.
Pros
room discount was awesome..
Cons
long hours without breaks. short staffed no culture
very very very low wages
Banquet Concierge (Former Employee) –  Bethesda North Marriott and Conference CentreNovember 7, 2014
This is by far, one of the worse places I've ever worked. Your body and feet will feel like they've been taken thru the wringer. $12 an hour is not enough money for the work you have to provide. In order to get a decent paycheck, you have to spend almost everyday there. I'd just started and was scheduled for up to 14 hours a day some days. Good luck with training unless you speak Spanish. We're a very diverse world but the people training you barely speak English which is ridiculous. There's lots of room for growth within Marriott, just get out of the lower level positions and you can really excel because otherwise, you're wasting your time. The majority of the housekeeping department is Ethiopian and that's because the Manager is. The majority of the Banquets Department is Spanish and that's because the Managers are. Be prepared to do a morning stand-up daily which includes the GM amongst other department managers. Also, be prepared for the dumbest most lame jeopardy and trivia questions. Who really cares about the trivia? The department I was in had no structure, no base, too many Chiefs, no respect amongst employees, lots of race relation issues, no real direction, you're just on your own or the pawn amongst other employees who don't get along. I realized where I'd come from and how far I'd come and decided that I'd worked too hard too long to get where I'd gotten in my career just to take it back and start way from the bottom almost as a slave because that's surely how I felt. To each his own. Please take heed and run. Don't do it, you are wasting your time. Seriously.
Pros
$1 lunch and dinner
Cons
extremely long hours for very low pay
Professional and supportive atmosphere.
Marriot Rewards Associate (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 18, 2012
From the moment we sign in to accept incoming calls in the morning to the completion of the last issue of the day, the Rewards Associates are provided assistance as needed from Team Leaders. We have access to a continuously updated computer site which outlines specific procedures and provides explanations for various programs and offers available to Rewards members. An initial six-week training program provides the basis from which we build an ever more detailed picture of the entire program, which better enables us to assist its members. Our calls are spot-monitored by a quality control staff who provide useful feedback on a regular basis. Management is readily accessible and open to input.
Since I am a home agent, I rarely have face-to-face contact with my co-workers, but phone interactions have for the most part been extremely positive and friendly. The most difficult part of the job, for me, is required adherence to a rigidly controlled scheduling system, under which each activity status is entered into the system, limiting the flexibility sometimes necessary to follow up on a customer concern or to "go the extra mile" in customer service.
I find the majority of our members delightful to work with on the phone, but I gain special satisfaction in calming and engaging upset or angry callers, assisting them to the best of my ability, and eliciting heartfelt gratitude and even a chuckle or two before the call concludes. Marriott is one of the more worker-friendly companies under which I have been employed.
Pros
reduced rates for hotel accommodations, recognition for achievements
Cons
stringent schedule adherence requirements, severely limited vacation availability
The worst place I have ever worked for.
Housekeeper, Laundry, and House Attendant (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 15, 2015
I felt like I was managing my own managers, my other coworkers &managers were extremely rude & taunted each other daily, everyday someone is cussing someone else out, there were drug deals going on in the workplace with guests and employees, I got bit up by bed bugs during our renovation (bugs problem still there & I was told they came from my own place), sexuall harassment case was never taken seriously (he was also a scam artist & stole from other employees & went to jail while being employed & is allowed to come back to work), I also faced discrimination by management and other co-workers because of my alternative lifestyle, front desk associate charges alcohol to guests rooms and drinks it on the job (the scam artist), management steals from the budget, they will lie to u about full time positions that were never there, they messed up on my payroll & also took a couple hours away from me that I worked so I would not get my overtime. We do not have the materials to do our jobs, and they expect us to perform miracles working in these type of conditions, Half the staff is high or drunk while they are working. The don't have enough pillows for the guests and we have to hand out blankets for guests to rest their heads on. We also do not have enough linen in case an emergency happens and we need extra linen. half the linen is old and has stains on it. I can keep going on.............. DO NOT WORK FOR RESIDENCE INN BY MARRIOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It failed its last 3 expectations & they are close to getting their Marriott name taken away from them. This hotel is a dump and the worst  more... job I have ever come across.  less
Pros
your paycheck
Cons
eveything about this place
Marriott the Best Place to Work
Director of Operation (Current Employee) –  Playa Grande, Vargas, VenezuelaJanuary 28, 2014
I have a great job, Operation is my life, being part of the day to day work with my asociates and the guest is the greatest experience ever.
Go through out the day with our first meeting in the morning to review the VIP arrival sheet, looking that every thing is in working order, get the staff all pumped up for the day, looking out for cues from our guests to make their stay the best on ever. walk around all of th areas and see that every asociate is doing the best to drive guest satisfaction.
Walk the hall ways and meet with one or two Housekepers to ensure they have the proper equipment to go through the rooms. Take time to stand at the lobby and great both departing and arriving guests. This is all the greatest part of all.
But it's not all ways this easy. Working in Venezuela as a Director of Operations throughout a couple of hotels, has given me abilities to work in a country under extreme difficult conditions. These conditions go through sometimes no gas, no water and a couple of power shortages, including the difficulties of finding the items to operate the hotel properly. As a leader I have learned to stay focus on the things that you can control, like Stephen Covey once said “One of the true tests of leadership is the ability to recognize a problem before it becomes an emergency”.
In this last year I has given the opportunity to become the Breakthrough Leadership Champion at my property, this has given me the chance to understand and to coach, using the right commitments throughout every week to every department holding them accountable to the things they can control
  more... and help them achieve their scores to raise the Guest Overall satisfaction and the ESS overall Satisfaction and most important of all Employ Satisfaction.  less
Cons
not the best country to work in.