Marriott International, Inc.
2,906 reviews

Marriott International, Inc. Employer Reviews

Stressful Workplace
Houseman/Driver (Current Employee), Langhorne, PAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: guests are great.
Cons: pay rate.
Guests are awesome. Responsible for acting in a support role to housekeepers and supervisors. Responsible for cleaning hallways and removing trash while providing great customer service. You can't always have the days you request off because of the very little staff.
my first real job
Housekeeping (Former Employee), Rochester, NYFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: free meals, benefits
Working at the Marriott was really my very first job. I learned the importance of cleaning the hotel rooms and interacting with the guests.

I wasn't too happy with the housekeeping manager and the way she worked. Whenever an employee asked for a day off she would really make that employee pay for requesting the day or week off by having that employee work a week to 2 weeks straight just to get that time off.
It was alright
Maintenance Helper (Former Employee), Davenport, IAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: learned a lot from the chief engineer
Cons: management sucked
When I started at the Residence Inn it was because of my mother and it was a nice atmosphere, the coworkers are alright and I've kept in touch with a few. Management could be better, would've been nice to have more hours and if they would've worked with me on it.
energetic staff and great management
Line Cook/Prep (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 24, 2015
management for the kitchen is awesome but not so much for the restaurant. I've learned to time food items perfectly to make sure they never over cook.
Maintaining safety
Banquet Server/Bartender (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INFebruary 24, 2015
Vigilance was always a requirement while serving and wanting to keep your guest happy and to make sure you are always maintaining good communication with the guest and your co-workers.
Very busy property
Chief Engineer (Current Employee), Charleston, SCFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: great working team
Cons: needs more team members
Busy property with 179 rooms. High demand, sometimes pressure but, it comes with the territory. Great team to work with. Would be to reach the full service status of working in a bigger property.
High Energy Work Environment with Heavy Customer Service
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 24, 2015
Typical work day involved very heavy phone communication with Clients and well as departments within the hotel. Worked closely with clients to ensure meetings and events went smoothly and according to plan. Communication needed between all departments in order to provide exactly what the client is looking for. Very busy work environment with everyday different!
do not work here
Room Service/Trainer (Current Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 23, 2015
Since White Lodging took over the hotel has never been the same. do not work here. do not work here do not work here. this place could be better with new management. They do not respect the Vets
Great place to work as a hospitality and tourism management graduate. Good values and strong company culture.
Front Desk Agent/Concierge (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: most properties will provide laundry service for you uniform and free meals.
Cons: low pay, nights and weekends.
Marriott has excellent resources in person as well as online through their global management system. I've worked at two separate properties and have been amazed by the camaraderie. Schedules as an entry level employee can be difficult as they consume a lot of nights and weekends.
fast paced
Reservation Specialist (Former Employee), Solon, OHFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: working from home
Cons: difficult to find reservations for customers who are not businessman.
Made Reservations for Guests

Learned time management, sales

Hardest part of the job was the up sales.

Most enjoyable part was working from home.
JW Marriott Audio Visual Supervisor
Audio Visual Supervisor (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: free lunch, fun productive environment
Cons: cold weather in michigan
Ensure guest satisfaction with products and services provided by the audio visual department, while meeting financial responsibilities. Train all A/V technicians on Camera, Audio, Video and lighting equipment. Also provide decisive instructions and tasks for all technicians on sets and tears of shows and meetings.Manage inventory of all equipment, test equipment, and rent equipment from vendors. Schedule the team of employees for shows and floor work, maintaining guidelines and discipline. Maintain meeting room/ballroom sound and lighting along with the in house music system. High profile prestigious events, award ceremonies, foundations, and fund raisers.
Fun place to work
Sr. Night Auditor/Security Officer (Former Employee), Provo, UTFebruary 22, 2015
It was pretty cool, work and personal was balanced well. The department needed a bit of working over but was overall cool.
Solid and Stable Corporate Culture
Front Office Manager (Current Employee), NCFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: great opportunities for advancement.
Cons: high profit for company doesn't equate to benefits or decent wages for workers.
High standards and branding, exceptional training and delivery.I do wish that the high profits that I encourage my team to strive for, would be complimented by wage increases or even an incentive program.
Hotel management
Assistant General Manager\Operation Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 21, 2015
The best skills you getting out of this job is customer service. You learn how to handle and please upset customers. The most enjoyable part of this job is communication with people all over the world.
great trainning
Customer service associate (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: fantastic experience
Cons: long hours
oversee all office functions, processing purchase orders, finances, accounts payable/ receivable. customer service, multi line phone disoatching
Learning experince
Night auditor in charge of end of day reports (Current Employee), Airport NW OKCFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: free breakfast
Cons: lack of organization, night hours
had to take a job to pay the rent. it was a blessing to have at the time. Working nights and the customers were horiblle. IT was the same job day on and out just audiot, and people normally in a really bad mood.
Great company with opportunity to travel!!
Front Desk Clerk/Night Auditor (Current Employee), Beaumont, TXFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: pay increase, benefits, allowed to stay at hotel, random free catered lunches
Cons: lacking communication, no set schedule, off days are not respected, personal life is brought to work.
My typical workday would include coming into work at 11pm and counting down the cash drawer to make sure it is balanced from the previous shifts. I then read our pass-along book for any important information that would pertain to my shift. I then stock our market with any snacks or beverages that are low and then check our gym to make sure the guest have towels and water handy. Around 2am I start running my audit reports and then do any other reports management has left for me to do ( monthly taxes, ordering food for the kitchen, monthly inventory, payable accounts). Once the audit reports have finished I then print out receipts for the guests that are departing in the morning and pass them under their doors. Once I'm done passing our receipts I then start setting up breakfast and make fresh coffee. After all that is done I then do an inspection of the pool/courtyard area to make sure there is no trash or towels to pick up. At 6am I start closing my shift and count the cash drawer and make any safe drops that are needed.

What I have learned: I have learned a lot working in Hospitality. I thought I knew what customer service was before working here and it is completely different.

Management: The management team at my location is not great. There is no communication between any of the managers or the co-workers. The general manager does not set a great example for the staff. When problems occur between co-workers the situation or problem is not corrected.

Co-workers: My co-workers are easy to get along with. They are great and most do their jobs the correct way. Most days with – more... my co-workers are great until the negativity between management and staff gets so bad that it starts affecting how they do their jobs.

The hardest part of my job is having no communication. I never know what problems we are having with the hotel or what problems the guest are having and then when I'm questioned by a guest as to what corrections are being made to fix their issues I cant give them the information they need. Another hard part of my job is when management fails to follow through with their responsibilities ( ordering supplies for office or market, not fixing known maintenance issues, etc.).

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I do my job very well. It's nice to know that they rely on only me to do certain tasks cause they know it will be done right the first time and within a timely manner. – less
Can meet different walks of life
Bistro Attendant (Current Employee), Mobile, ALFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: always can get extra hour
Cons: not enough man power
It depends on if there was anyone in the hotel. How to been that ear and to listen to the customers. Are over the top and very repetitious. There is no teamwork and the hardest part of the job is the amount of things that one person has to do. the different walks of life that visit the states.
No sense of management
Bistro Attendant (Former Employee), West Des Moines, IAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: revolving door management, no direction
This was a new hotel that was not able to keep management positions consistently filled. As a result, employees were constantly unsure what to do and most of the time had to "wing it".
Great at first, then everything falls apart
Front Desk/Night Auditor (Current Employee), Vienna, VAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: free meals
Cons: 30 minute lunch breaks, no work life balance
If you have good management then its a great opportunity. If not then you may find it harder to move up. Flexible schedule means that you will never have a consistent schedule. When occupancy levels drop over the seasons, the 40 hours you usually get as a fulltime employee will disappear. Managers suggest that you save PTO for slow months when hours are cut. However sick days and vacation days are taken out of the same PTO. Hourly pay could better. Promotions are nonexistent unless you know someone.

1 2 3 4 5

About Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc., is a leading lodging and hospitality company that develops, operates, and franchises hotels, corporate – Read more

Marriott International, Inc. Photos