Marriott Vacations Worldwide Employee Reviews

Found 3,726 reviews matching the search
nice place to work at
Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHJanuary 20, 2017
Marriott offers competitive compensation and benefits for all associates. Depending on job role and location, Marriott associates receive:

Competitive benefit packages (which may vary by country according to employment laws and practices)
Hotel room discounts at our locations around the globe
Discounts on food and beverages, as well as retail discounts in our gift shops, at Marriott hotels around the globe
Competitive pay and advancement opportunities
In the ordinary course of business, compensation and benefits programs evolve as business needs and laws change. Therefore, the benefits outlined here may be subject to change.
Fair benefits, but not a good place to advance.
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2016
I have learned to interact with people, resolve many different situations. I had dealt with bomb threats, and an actual car bomb was parked next to our property where we had to evacuate part of the hotel. I had to deal with hostile patrons, guests, lost reports and investigations. Many different types of medicals. I had learned to write many different types of reports, using the proper vocabulary and terms. Management is not very useful, they based their leadership on who they like and who they do not like, if you keep the manager's refrigerator full of beverages, you are his favorite, and that is how some associates had being moved even tough they lack the education, preparation, skills and professionalism for the job. What I enjoyed of this job is the different cultures and races that you meet, during a course of the day. I also like the fact that no matter what I learned a lot on this job.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Do not appreciate real talent, lack of teamwork in the department and between departments.
Currently a Mess
Front Desk/Night Audit/Concierge (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIDecember 6, 2016
The Marriott I worked at was currently under renovations to become the second Delta in the U.S. In my six months working there I saw one GM quit, the VP of the owning company, who no longer is with the company, act as GM, and an "assistant GM" get hired who is acting as GM. One sales person walk out, the head of sales quit, 3 chefs in the restaurant, the long term accountant fired to "go in a different direction", but have the other accountant end up doing most of her work, and many faces in and out I was never introduced to. Also, The Front Desk Supervisor got fired for eliminating the position, and we keep hiring front desk people with "experience". For instance the Front Desk Supervisor whose been in the business, but has no idea how to use the Marriott computer system, which is what her job would consists largely of.

I understand they're trying to find a fit, but I got let go before they got very far with management.

Also, no benefits for basic staff and higher staff benefits were drastically cut.
Pros
Employee discount on rooms can be pretty good
Cons
No benenfits were available. No order in upper management.
Fun Workplace
Catering Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CADecember 8, 2016
The Corporate Marriott is an enjoyable place to work for.

Typical day at work starts with checking emails and answering the
voice messages and replying to leads. Time flies so fast with
putting leads in the system, closing deals and drafting contracts.
Management is understanding if you request for time off or any help.
Co-workers are friendly and helpful.

Hardest part is hours of work 10-12 hours when you are on Salary.

Most enjoyable part of the job is friendliness be on a happy environment.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short Breaks and long hours
Loved the People
Kitchen Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rapid City, SDJanuary 11, 2017
Enjoyed everyone that worked there, but management is terrible. Didn't get my raise for months after promotion, didn't receive computer training because no one would show me how to even get to the site, and was chastised multiple times for a lack of name tag by a manager that didn't know how to make them and never gave me one.
Terrible morale in all depts due to management.
Upon putting in resignation was basically told, "Good, was going to fire you anyway."
Not that great..
Houseman (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GANovember 27, 2016
Only continued to work he so i could cover my bills while finishing college. Management is horrible and absent 80% of the time. Barely made enough to cover my bills, only continued to work here because they worked with my school schedule. I found an error in my pay and they had to back pay me because they never gave me my $0.25 raise after my 90 days, only reason i even got the money is because i noticed it, if left to them they would have continued not paying me properly.
Marriott is alright
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 9, 2017
Worked for Marriott not Vacation Club. It's fine. All different properties are different. Understaffing is brutal when rush season is kicking and I live in the building, but you get a discount on vacations and some places give you lunch, but you get a BS 30 minute lunch break, whether they supply it or not. Sick time and vacation time are well-earned and hard to use, so it makes them less worth it, and you don't make enough to go do anything real for vacation, but at least you get it. I'd say the part I hate the most is seeing the CEO and upper management constantly email you how well we are doing, then you have to ride a bus to work. Come on, man. At least have the decency to not rub it in my face.
Pros
Pays ok, higher you go the more silly stuff gets but people aren't as brutal as most service work
Cons
No work life balance if you are full-time, pay isn't great for me to live there
Great workplace
Baker (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 5, 2016
I enjoyed the people working here. The management and HR representatives were wonderful and helpful. It was difficult to move up or to get raises, there was a ceiling. The often looked for outside hires instead of utilizing their current staff.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long hours, little chance for advancement
Night Audit Summary
Front Desk Clerk/Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 28, 2016
My job was easy and I loved it, the only concern I have is for the management. Co-workers are no shows or are usually two hours late for their shift and when trying to get a hold of a manager there is no answer or no call back and I was stuck there until someone showed up. The lack of concern was very upsetting and as a manager I feel that it is their responsibility to either find reliable workers or cover the shifts that the people bailed on, not just let their good employees suffer. Other than that I loved the job but the stress becomes too much when there is not a solid management system in place.
Pros
Benefits, Free lunches, Discounts
Cons
Management, Co-workers not arriving on time for shifts
Marriott
Assistant Food & Beverage Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDOctober 26, 2016
Marriott is a great company for anyone looking to climb the hospitality field. There are many opportunities for advancement within the company. There are many options for benefits that will fit anyones needs.
Pros
Benefits, Job advancement, Flexible schedules, training
Cons
Long hours for management
Fun with no room to advance
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 17, 2016
Overall Marriott is a fun place to work. The Housekeeping department is the hardest working department. It was almost impossible to move from the department or to an higher position if you were not liked as much as the next person. The company alone is a beautiful company with tons of benefits. I loved and respected our management team they was always my go to but when it came to a jam they were not the pull up the sleeves and get the job done type. i typical day at work was getting my print out of rooms for the day then it's off to stock my cart. After my cart was done it was time to clean. If anyone fell behind you could ask to help anyone you wish. Lunch was provided for all staff which saved money for everyone.
Pros
free lunch, discounted parking, their owe credit union and tons of benefits
Cons
short breaks, no sick or vacation day, not enough paid time off
Exciting growth opportunities, great culture
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 14, 2016
Working for Marriott provided me with many experiences, both as a traveling guest as well as in different levels of employment. As an employee, I was able to travel to numerous locations throughout the country and see things that I likely would not have otherwise. Marriott's culture is focused on this quote (paraphrased): "If you take care of the associates, the associates will take care of the customers, and the customers will keep coming back." As a whole, that policy was followed enthusiastically at all levels.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement, positive working environment
Cons
Low pay, high turnover
the best place to work
Engineer 1 (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 26, 2016
Job Work/Life Balance was great.
Compensation/Benefits always great.
Job Security/Advancement it was very good
Management fantastic
Job Culture was the best place to work
Pros
most of the time
Not what its cut up to be.....
Guest Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 23, 2016
Long hours standing on feet...some great guests,some not so great...if you cant take being yelled at at least once a day,this is not the job for you. Management are constantly changing and not always for the better..Some managers will throw you under the bus in a second and many are trained to do the job but no good with people.Fantastic co-workers and many great and interesting guests from all over the world.Despite the claims to be a family friendly employer they are not.
Pros
Cons
Management, terrible work life balance
Decent temporary job
Attendant (Current Employee) –  Coronado, CAOctober 28, 2016
Working for the company has significantly developed my character to be diplomatic and tactful with professionals and non-professionals at all levels.

Most of my time with this company consisted of working unsupervised and required multitasking. Balancing work life and a school schedule seems to be nearly impossible with a short staffed department and poor scheduling techniques.

I don't approve of management, but having amazing co-workers help you get through tough times. The people I worked with are the main reasons why I stick around.
Pros
affordable lunch meals, discounted room rates
Cons
Unfair, poor management, work/life balance not guaranteed
Good job that allows you to control your earning potential.
Server/Waiter (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 3, 2016
This job is a great place to work for anyone who is very active. I work in the restaurant of the hotel. It is not a job where you can sit around and not be productive when the quantity of business demands. I enjoy how fast paced the environment can be at times.

Management, however, could withstand some tremendous improvements. That is the hardest part of my job. With managers that were willing to treat their team fairly, help and provide their team with the necessary essentials to achieve success during every shift would make my job more enjoyable.

I only have one other server with me most times and we don't have much help; a busser, a host 60% of the time, a dining room attendant or physical equipment required. As a result of that what I have learned most is to rely on myself and that I can do whatever I am determined to do.
Pros
Free lunch, paid weekly, full time benefits
Cons
cut hours, understaffed
Rewarding Work Environment that challenges on a daily basis.
Director of Finance (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 28, 2016
Marriott Vacations Worldwide is founded on taking care of employees, and it shows in the benefits and in the overall work environment and culture.
Pros
Beautiful Locations
Cons
Limited upward mobility at certain career points
It's a job
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 29, 2016
No advancement unless you are willing to move, I constantly wonder who put management in charge. A lot of people have been here for 30 years (and complain about everything though they are part of the problem) which isn’t good for the flow of younger staff coming in, change is something that is hard to make happen. They are now doing a lot of hiring from staffing companies and not hiring Marriott employees which means there are a lot of illegals and felons waking in around the hotel and having access to guest rooms
Pros
cheap food, ok medical
Cons
Very low pay, work every holiday
Not worth the money
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 26, 2016
Spend the entire 8 hours standing.
Are scolded for sitting.
Get paid very little
If your not on first shift the job becomes long and very tiring.
Irate and needy guests constantly
Lots of guests who try and scam you
Getting yelled at alot
Health insurance doesn't cover anything
No real PTO
Management hates the job as much as the employees
Job security is the only plus, because the turn over rate is sooooo high they don't fire anyone unless they've done something extremely bad.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Heathcare or lack of, Horrible pay, long standing time, no PTO
A Fun and productive workplace
Bistro Chef/Barista/Server (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LASeptember 6, 2016
I enjoy coming to this workplace because every day is positive and coworkers are helpful.
I learned many things such as people skills and working in hospitality made me a better person. I love helping people.
Management is great and supportive. Every day is full of team work and motivation.
The hardest part of the job is understanding how to handle different types of issues and solving them in a positive manner.
The most enjoyable part is that you feel great about coming to work because you love your job thanks to the people you work with.
Pros
Great benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marriott Vacations Worldwide. Our community is ready to answer.

Marriott Vacations Worldwide Reviews by Location