Marriott Vacations Worldwide Employee Reviews

Found 3,996 reviews matching the search
Excellent Company with Very Smart People
Vice President, Marketing Research (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDFebruary 23, 2017
A typical day at work involved lots of meetings, but still left time for serious work to get done. I learned a lot about corporate politics and how it is inevitable. Management was forced to drive the bottom line, always. The culture was work work work. The hardest part of the job was learning that management was secretive about their motives. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my staff. They were the best.
Pros
Smart people
Cons
People would pretend to work on weekends, but go shopping instead.
Great place to work when starting out in the hotel work force
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJMarch 6, 2017
*Great place to work, when getting into the hotel business
* Schedule your own breaks, which is hard when busy and only have 20 minutes to eat.
* Management may take advantage of you, so try to keep a stable and firm mark.
*Offer benefits/insurance
*Work hours are different each week, rare to see normal set hours
Pros
Benefits and insurance offered. Great place to start to learn about the hotel business.
Cons
Don't have scheduled lunch breaks, Don't expect a raise, old-fashion procedure/policy, work different hours each week
My typical day at work is guest focused and I literally learn something different each day.
Catering & Event Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 2, 2017

I enjoy listening to management and admire their roles and feedback.

I love that my work place has diversity, which helps to understand all cultures.

The most part of my job is pleasing both my internal as well as our enteral guests.
Pros
Complimentary lunch, discounted hotel stays
its just ok.
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MO 64105March 13, 2017
A typical day can start at 7 am and go till 3pm-ish or you can work 3pm -11. Hours are never set and dont get released till about two-three days before the next week.
Management is just ok. they promise you a lot that they cant follow through with . Only one manager really seems to care and that person still doesn't really do much to help.
The hardest part of the job was training . They dont train well . you never fully grasp a concept and its kinda disorganized . also they are Not the most helpful people when you ask questions.
The H.R department is very nice. they seem to care a lot. The discount on hotel stays is great . Probably the best part of the job.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Not much of a life outside of work.
brand new hotel
Front Desk Clerk/Trainer- Assistant (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, TXMarch 3, 2017
When I left the Sheraton Hotel in Anchorage, Alaska, It was to travel to Tex-Arcana , Texas, to assist in building a strong foundation for training the front desk employees....Checking guest in/out. Making sure that all of their needs were met. When it was time for them to check out, we would go beyond the extra mile to assure them that we would be waiting for their next visit.
Pros
Everything fresh and new
Cons
A lot of long nights, to get everything ready for the opening
Valet Attendant • Valet attendant/Doorman (Former Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAFebruary 20, 2017
The people, culture, management, and work/life balance are all incredible! Helping people with their vehicles and providing them with a warm welcoming is how I learned more about compassion and attending to their needs. I'm constantly challenged by the work, which has helped me learn and grow so quickly with the company. Management also makes you feel like your opinion and input actually matters, and will put it to good use. Growth opportunities here are great, and management is always willing to be flexible with school and work.
Pros
free lunch, flexiblity
Cons
short breaks
The Banquet department was much like a family.
BANQUET SERVER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 21, 2017
The typical day working for the Marriott Marquis in San Diego involved setting, serving, and breaking down a banquet function for hundreds of guests. This was done as a team, with specific duties, dolled out in accordance with preferences. There were often days that the parties were far smaller, with only a handful of guests in a private suite. A party such as this I would work on my own, with a Banquet Captian's oversight. There were occasionally groups in house that numbered in the thousands, and functions that would accommodate all the guests at once, typically held outside.
harmonious working condition
Front Desk Agent/Night Audit (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 22, 2017
1. Being the front desk agent/auditor to ensure the high quality of guest's experience and all the charge are applied to the guest's account properly.

2. Being professional and decent in terms of wording and posture.

3. Empathizing with the guest's concern and come up with the best solution.

4. Shadowing the manager and supervisor to learn how to remain composed as the problem arises and manage to deal with the guest's issue successfully based on the knowledge and the scale of guest's concern.

5. Coaching the new associate.

6. Having a diverse working culture with different nationality.
Pros
systematic operation
Productive,Fast pace ,Enjoyable
Banquets Server (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 24, 2017
Threw out my time in the JW Marriott Marquis it has been an absolute pleasure to work with such an amazing company. A typical day consists of several phone calls assisting guest and out side callers , faxes, emails, and guest billing. The most enjoyable part of my day is assisting a guest and helping them resolve there problem. Nothing brings greater joy then to accomplish my goals. JW Marriott management is very well put together and very successful , ensuring our guests and fellow co workers are always at first interest.
great place to work
Part Time Weekend Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Avondale, AZFebruary 28, 2017
love this job it fits into my crazy schedule they are very nice here and the benefits are great as far as hotel discounts. Sometime customers are real mean if the hotel gets overbooked, it happens with the system at times that is the only real bad part about the job. othrewise it is great company to work for as a part time job. There is no sick time or vacation but that is okay.
Pros
great hours that fit my schedule
Cons
dealing with angry customers
Fast pace at times, very slow during other times, but can pick up in a heart beat
Loss Prevention Officer (LPO) (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 14, 2017
My job is to observe, deter, and react to any and all people and all movement in the hotel. I love the interaction with the differing of people that transit through every day. Its hard trying to keep up with everything that goes on working the shift by myself. After eight years of working this site it has become easier over time.
Pros
meeting different people, working with all departments
Cons
limited staffing can be a challenge
Great customer service builder for anyone going into that field
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAMarch 7, 2017
You will learn a lot about customer service and people in general. This job will teach you patience and it will help build your people skills. Unfortunately the hours suck and because it is a hotel you are open on holidays. There are only 3 shifts so you don't have many options as far as that is concerned.
Pros
customer service experience, talking to tons of people
Cons
horrible hours, rude indivduals, inflexibility with hours, not many available shift options
Nice place to work
Event Setup (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 16, 2017
Working at the Jw marriott Indianapolis is very exciting due to the fact that there is a mix of all culture and once inside the building you will find yourself in a world where each one has a different thing to share.I have learned a lot of thing like how to do setting welcoming guest and also get the experience on how hospitalityis like. The hard part of the job may be language barrier we encounter from other people who do not speak the same language as us. We enjoy sharing ideas about culture and friendship when in teamwork
Pros
free lunch foods all time
Cons
waste of food
Fun work environment
Summer lifeguard/ pool attendant and server (Former Employee) –  Township of Galloway, NJMarch 23, 2017
A typical day at work, I would monitor the pool and from time to time clean up after people left their seats for the next set of guests to sit down. I also would get involved with the different activities the kids did. Lastly bring food to guests around the pool to make their stay more relaxing. The workplace culture was family orientated and close wand wanted the best for everyone involved. Marriott is a company that is well known for their Hotels and their culture.
Great place to work and meet new people
Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Danville, VAFebruary 13, 2017
I have great days at work. There is always a new face to see and even the old faces are very good to see. I have learned alot here and I continue to learn more and more each day. My customer service skills has grown since I have been working here. The hardest part of my job is letting a guest down. I hate if I can't make anyone happy or have a happy stay. The most enjoyable part is making our guest feel like family. Also I enjoy my coworkers and my managers.
A very innovative and high energy workplace
Executive Assistant/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTFebruary 8, 2017
Was the best position I ever held. Supported and worked for very talented colleagues. High energy every day. I attained a great deal of knowledge of the travel and hospitality industry. My manager was extremely supportive, collaborative and a well respected leader. The culture was diverse and creative. The hardest part of the job was going thru change in CEO's and being acquired by Marriott, thus the elimination of many roles, including my own. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people.
Pros
Travel & Hospitality experiences.
Cons
Starwood was acquired by Marriott. Creating many job eliminations
Great place to gain experience
Assist guests efficiently (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 18, 2017
Very organized, put together work place. The employees are friendly, the management is stern but approachable. Very nice benefits. They would keep track of customer reviews and treat it like a competition for each different part of the business like housekeeping, reception, maintenance, etc. All in all it was a fun and rewarding place to work, but the housekeepers definitely have the hardest job there.
Horrible example of a Marriott.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAFebruary 17, 2017
Chef/ Sous chef is rarely present and when present always talks down on employees or degrades them with hurtful words. Tons of empty promises from management. Food quality is nonexistent due to Chef not being present. Horrible training due to 8 different people training you. Hours the Chef gives doesnt allow proper 8 hours rest before next shift. Somedays no breaks.
Pros
Health, dental, vision benefits, PTO, Marriott Bucks
Plenty of oppertunity to grow and advance.
Manager Trainee to General Manager (Former Employee) –  Washinton DC Area and Maryland.February 7, 2017
If you are willing to put in the time, the training was very good to advance in management. Good place to start to learn your craft. Benefits were not so good and very pricey. Long days and weeks.
Pros
Free meals for managers, great experienceto learn management very thorough training. The pay was good.
Cons
Work life balance was not desirable. Long days and more than 5 day a week were required at times.s
Marriott Downtown KC
Guest service agent (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 30, 2017
Let's see....
Well first there's the favoritism of certain employees.
Assistant managers are a joke, and have no clue what they are doing.
You get A break if your lucky.
Food they serve employees makes you run to the bathroom.
The whole staff needs to take a course on hospitality, and what it truly means, and watch who you chat to. Most of the front desk staff will use it against you!
If I were you I would stick with a smaller hotel or a Hilton.
Pros
benninfits
Cons
pay for parking to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marriott Vacations Worldwide. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2