Marriott Vacations Worldwide Employee Reviews

Found 4,029 reviews matching the search
Long Hours, Busy Shifts
Food and Beverage Manager (Current Employee) –  Woburn, MAMarch 24, 2017
I have worked at the Residence Inn Marriott for over 3 years. When I started we were Marriott managed and a little less than a year in we became franchise. Marriott managed hotels offer excellent benefits packages that somewhat make up for the low pay. Franchise hotels do not. The culture is great, although I would say that it probably varies quite a bit from property to property depending on management. The pay (at least at my property) is not great. They have not given raises with the increase in minimum wage and therefore new hires are offered more than long termers...not ok. Management has been great in working with my school schedule in addition to my internship schedule when I needed an internship for school. Love my coworkers, although I'm sure each team is a bit different. I will say that you learn a lot working in the hospitality industry.
Franchise managed by three separate companies in four years
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAMarch 28, 2017
Too much change in management during the four years I worked for this franchise. The first General Manager was great, but had too much control placed on her by the management company approved by Marriott. She became the President/CEO of the Greater Yakima Chamber of Commerce when she left the Fairfield Inn & Suites Yakima. The next management company was while this franchise was in receivership. The next company bought this franchise out of receivership, but had never owned a Marriott property before this one and could not meet the minimum criteria set forth by Marriott. I asked for a raise after four years, and got my walking papers handed to me with my last check. (Not what I would call a good management strategy.)
Hotels where the guest's needs are prioritized
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILFebruary 27, 2017
A typical day involved engaging with guests, booking reservations, cleaning rooms, doing laundry, checking guests in and managing occupancy levels.
I learned how to multitask and always engage with the customers in a pleasant and respectful manner.
Management varies based upon location, but the corp managers were focused on being the best hotel brand in the world.
Culture was great if you enjoy being in a happy atmosphere and contributing to it.
Hardest part of the job was the long hours, hotels never close, and a manager is "on-duty" 24hrs a day. Must be able to manage your time effectively or you will end up working 60-70 hours per week.
The most enjoyable part of the job was positive feedback from guests, and the perks of receiving discount hotel rooms anywhere in the world.
Pros
Easy once you establish a routine, can expect every day to be the same thing unless there is a special event
Cons
Long hours, must always be pleasant and engaging
nice place to work at
Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHJanuary 20, 2017
Marriott offers competitive compensation and benefits for all associates. Depending on job role and location, Marriott associates receive:

Competitive benefit packages (which may vary by country according to employment laws and practices)
Hotel room discounts at our locations around the globe
Discounts on food and beverages, as well as retail discounts in our gift shops, at Marriott hotels around the globe
Competitive pay and advancement opportunities
In the ordinary course of business, compensation and benefits programs evolve as business needs and laws change. Therefore, the benefits outlined here may be subject to change.
Valet Attendant • Valet attendant/Doorman (Former Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAFebruary 20, 2017
The people, culture, management, and work/life balance are all incredible! Helping people with their vehicles and providing them with a warm welcoming is how I learned more about compassion and attending to their needs. I'm constantly challenged by the work, which has helped me learn and grow so quickly with the company. Management also makes you feel like your opinion and input actually matters, and will put it to good use. Growth opportunities here are great, and management is always willing to be flexible with school and work.
Pros
free lunch, flexiblity
Cons
short breaks
Great place to work when starting out in the hotel work force
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJMarch 6, 2017
*Great place to work, when getting into the hotel business
* Schedule your own breaks, which is hard when busy and only have 20 minutes to eat.
* Management may take advantage of you, so try to keep a stable and firm mark.
*Offer benefits/insurance
*Work hours are different each week, rare to see normal set hours
Pros
Benefits and insurance offered. Great place to start to learn about the hotel business.
Cons
Don't have scheduled lunch breaks, Don't expect a raise, old-fashion procedure/policy, work different hours each week
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 6, 2017
In a typical day in my job I fulfilled management task opening the facility as well greeting customers, preparing treatment rooms, recording patient's medical history and vitals sings, cleanings and sterilizing instruments, preparing and administering medications as directed by a doctor, collecting blood, or other laboratory specimens. Throughout the day I completed various administrative duties as well, including answering phone, reviewing patients charts, laboratories inventory, maintaining all logs and required checks. I also provide strong customers services and resolved customers issue.
Every day I learn how to make the patients and his family feel more satisfied and confident with the health care, making the hard part something positive for their benefits.
What compares more and gives meaning to our works is to see gratitude and acknowledgment of the patient regardless of their cultures, making them understand how important health care is.
Comfortable work environment.
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  South Portland, MEFebruary 2, 2017
This company is a great place to start a career, with room for advancement to those who work hard and stay persistent. Management has a lot of knowledge that they are very good at passing down to their staff. It is a great place to learn the ins and outs of the industry.
Pros
Comfortable environment, freedom to create new items
Cons
Healthcare, compensation increases minimal
Currently a Mess
Front Desk/Night Audit/Concierge (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIDecember 6, 2016
The Marriott I worked at was currently under renovations to become the second Delta in the U.S. In my six months working there I saw one GM quit, the VP of the owning company, who no longer is with the company, act as GM, and an "assistant GM" get hired who is acting as GM. One sales person walk out, the head of sales quit, 3 chefs in the restaurant, the long term accountant fired to "go in a different direction", but have the other accountant end up doing most of her work, and many faces in and out I was never introduced to. Also, The Front Desk Supervisor got fired for eliminating the position, and we keep hiring front desk people with "experience". For instance the Front Desk Supervisor whose been in the business, but has no idea how to use the Marriott computer system, which is what her job would consists largely of.

I understand they're trying to find a fit, but I got let go before they got very far with management.

Also, no benefits for basic staff and higher staff benefits were drastically cut.
Pros
Employee discount on rooms can be pretty good
Cons
No benenfits were available. No order in upper management.
Fun Workplace
Catering Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CADecember 8, 2016
The Corporate Marriott is an enjoyable place to work for.

Typical day at work starts with checking emails and answering the
voice messages and replying to leads. Time flies so fast with
putting leads in the system, closing deals and drafting contracts.
Management is understanding if you request for time off or any help.
Co-workers are friendly and helpful.

Hardest part is hours of work 10-12 hours when you are on Salary.

Most enjoyable part of the job is friendliness be on a happy environment.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short Breaks and long hours
Plenty of oppertunity to grow and advance.
Manager Trainee to General Manager (Former Employee) –  Washinton DC Area and Maryland.February 7, 2017
If you are willing to put in the time, the training was very good to advance in management. Good place to start to learn your craft. Benefits were not so good and very pricey. Long days and weeks.
Pros
Free meals for managers, great experienceto learn management very thorough training. The pay was good.
Cons
Work life balance was not desirable. Long days and more than 5 day a week were required at times.s
Loved the People
Kitchen Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rapid City, SDJanuary 11, 2017
Enjoyed everyone that worked there, but management is terrible. Didn't get my raise for months after promotion, didn't receive computer training because no one would show me how to even get to the site, and was chastised multiple times for a lack of name tag by a manager that didn't know how to make them and never gave me one.
Terrible morale in all depts due to management.
Upon putting in resignation was basically told, "Good, was going to fire you anyway."
Fair benefits, but not a good place to advance.
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2016
I have learned to interact with people, resolve many different situations. I had dealt with bomb threats, and an actual car bomb was parked next to our property where we had to evacuate part of the hotel. I had to deal with hostile patrons, guests, lost reports and investigations. Many different types of medicals. I had learned to write many different types of reports, using the proper vocabulary and terms. Management is not very useful, they based their leadership on who they like and who they do not like, if you keep the manager's refrigerator full of beverages, you are his favorite, and that is how some associates had being moved even tough they lack the education, preparation, skills and professionalism for the job. What I enjoyed of this job is the different cultures and races that you meet, during a course of the day. I also like the fact that no matter what I learned a lot on this job.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Do not appreciate real talent, lack of teamwork in the department and between departments.
Marriott is alright
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 9, 2017
Worked for Marriott not Vacation Club. It's fine. All different properties are different. Understaffing is brutal when rush season is kicking and I live in the building, but you get a discount on vacations and some places give you lunch, but you get a BS 30 minute lunch break, whether they supply it or not. Sick time and vacation time are well-earned and hard to use, so it makes them less worth it, and you don't make enough to go do anything real for vacation, but at least you get it. I'd say the part I hate the most is seeing the CEO and upper management constantly email you how well we are doing, then you have to ride a bus to work. Come on, man. At least have the decency to not rub it in my face.
Pros
Pays ok, higher you go the more silly stuff gets but people aren't as brutal as most service work
Cons
No work life balance if you are full-time, pay isn't great for me to live there
Loved the work culture
Vacation Coordinator/Advisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32819March 25, 2017
Typical day was very relaxed. Since I worked in the call center I worked at a cubicle. Everyone was very fun with great personalities and the management really knew how to communicate with the team. We LOVED having pot lucks which is a huge plus for me since I love to cook and eat! I think it helps bring people together on a more personal level. The hardest part of the job is when there is a special case that has not been resolved and it all falls in your hands to make the guest happy and not lose the package. The most enjoyable part of the job was the competition for the bookings as well as the great people.
Pros
pot lucks, great hours, benefits
Cons
short breaks, far driving distance
Courtyard Managed property
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 17, 2017
Work life balance and compensation were not great but on par with other properties. Work culture was great, we truly had a family in that property. I would not consider returning however with new management.
Pros
culture
Cons
Compensation
Productive and helpful staffs
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 23, 2017
Helping to do accounts payable and receivable while performing a multi tasking guest services. I've learned to be open to change and flexible in daily routine. The management gave the staffs opportunities to grow and advanced in their career. The most enjoyable was be able to meet other people and made their stay memorable in our hotel.
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
salary
Not that great..
Houseman (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GANovember 27, 2016
Only continued to work he so i could cover my bills while finishing college. Management is horrible and absent 80% of the time. Barely made enough to cover my bills, only continued to work here because they worked with my school schedule. I found an error in my pay and they had to back pay me because they never gave me my $0.25 raise after my 90 days, only reason i even got the money is because i noticed it, if left to them they would have continued not paying me properly.
Night Audit Summary
Front Desk Clerk/Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 28, 2016
My job was easy and I loved it, the only concern I have is for the management. Co-workers are no shows or are usually two hours late for their shift and when trying to get a hold of a manager there is no answer or no call back and I was stuck there until someone showed up. The lack of concern was very upsetting and as a manager I feel that it is their responsibility to either find reliable workers or cover the shifts that the people bailed on, not just let their good employees suffer. Other than that I loved the job but the stress becomes too much when there is not a solid management system in place.
Pros
Benefits, Free lunches, Discounts
Cons
Management, Co-workers not arriving on time for shifts
Marriott International
Room Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 5, 2017
Hospitality is a 24 hours business which translate to long hours and hard work. There is a serious need for constant training and emotional intelligence. It is a great rewarding job, but pay is not the best for work load.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of Work Life Balance, and Pay does nto Match Workload for Management positions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marriott Vacations Worldwide. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2