Marriott Vacations Worldwide Employee Reviews

Found 3,284 reviews matching the search
My favorite job ever
Guest Relations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INApril 1, 2016
I always looked forward to going into work in the mornings. My co-workers were my family and the guests were my friends. My day was mostly always the same, in terms of my responsibilities. However, the job was exciting because you just never know what will happen in a day in the hospitality industry.
I grew a lot at TownePlace Suites and I learned who I was. I learned not to let others' opinions of me affect the way I saw myself. I learned that not everyone will pull their weight at work, but many will step up when help is needed. And I learned to accept others from every walk of life.
I learned that you may not always agree with the management but that they have the experience and skills to make the hard decisions. I can't really say that there was a hard part. Meeting new people and making friends was my favorite part of the job.
Pros
Aflac insurance and regular raises, great owners to work for
Cons
Some departments were expected to perform their jobs without proper equipment and time.
Friendly and accomodating
Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Marriott Residence Inn Mission ValleyApril 2, 2016
Great learning environment. A fantastic stepping stone for individuals who want to entertain the aspect of hospitality as a career. Career advancement is always offered. If your ready to be on the go, then this where you might want to be. Caters more to individuals who have no attachments and are less family oriented and can just relocate on a whim. Fantastic working atmosphere! Management is really hands off not much micro managing. Dialogue is casual and open ended.
Pros
Fun and spirit free
Cons
Pay is less than desireable and the compensation doesn't match the workload.
Large company with progressive views towards the future
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 26, 2016
MVCI has a fantastic attitude towards its employees and their input towards company growth. The management in place allows for continuous innovation and outside the box thinking, while maintaining excellent business practice standards. They promote a healthy work life balance and provide many opportunities to get involved in the community from a philanthropic standpoint.
Pros
Benefits and perks, competitive pay, aggressive innovation
Cons
Operational silos
Great Experience
Externship (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 9, 2016
I really enjoyed the experience of talking and shadowing each department within the property. It changed my career decisions and I would love to be apart of the Marriott Company. The managers were amazing, and the idea of working together really came through. I loved there goals and there meetings every morning of their goals for today and where they were relative to those goals. It was a very inspiring experience. I learned that you need to work up within the hospitality industry and each department brings something very important to the table.
Pros
Impowerment, benefits, family culture
Cons
starting our hours
Good place to train and grow
annonymous (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 22, 2016
Come prepared to work hard, smile lots, and do your best. There are some great recognition programs and incentives in place including a really great employee discount if you like to travel and stay in hotels. Some departments have great management in place. It can be a struggle at times to stay upbeat when scores are low due to circumstances you can't control. You will have great coworkers, good leadership, training, and amazing guests that are easy to serve as well as those that are harder to handle. Every day will present a new challenge and be something different. This would be a five star rating if it weren't for being in so much stress and transition during the renovation phase. Things should improve greatly by next year.
Pros
recognition programs, discounts, great coworkers, interesting guests
Cons
high pressure, long hours, fluctuating hours
Used to be great
Marketing Executive (Former Employee) –  Hilton Head Island, SCFebruary 22, 2016
Marriott has changed drastically since going public in 2011. The pressure to produce has gotten out of control. Associates are stressed, management is uptight, customers are mad (the new point based system is not what its cracked up to be). Benefits at Marriott are good and the associate travel benefits are outstanding. Marriott properties are excellent. Making money used to be significantly better and many sales representatives struggle to get by; many marketing reps struggle as well. The difference between the haves (those very successful) and the have-nots (those struggling to get by) has increased dramatically. It's just not the same company that it used to be.
Pros
travel benefits
Cons
stressed management and staff; high pressure; lessening income potential
Work with a great team in a busy environment
Sr. Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  College Park, GAFebruary 5, 2016
Administrative duties for the General Manager and Director of Operations including letters, request/guest calls, scheduling, etc.
Manage and run reports to communicate to the hotel staff
Handle guest issues and alerts.
Sort mail for all departments.
Mail packages to customers, FedEx needs, hotel complimentary stay certificates.
I've learned to not only apologize but to listen more and empathize to resolve issues.
Management always acknowledges when I go above and beyond.
My co-workers are always there to support and assist when needed.
The hardest part of my the job is receiving information from some of the managers in a timely fashion. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with co workers, customers, guests, and vendors.
Pros
diversified, free breakfast & soup, community service & fundraising events
Cons
very long hours some days
amazing place to work for
Guest Service Representative Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CAFebruary 27, 2016
Working at townplace suite was a great and freindly place to work. You would always meet new people for all around the world. I learned how to become for helpfull with guest concerns. management is great and helpful to there co workers and guest. They were easy to speak to. What was hard for me to work at townplace was the overnight hours. But i loved working for this company great atmosphere, good benefits and friendly co wokers
Pros
great discounts
This is for Marriott International not Kansas City Airport Marriott as it is a Franchise now
Senior Event Manager for Marriott International (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 8, 2016
Marriott International
Excellent Leadership at proprety level
Good Balance
Advancemnet

Senior Corporate Leadership is now a non hotelier
The bottom line is all that matters now.
While the face of the company is still great the culture is not what is was for the last 30 years.
Pros
Enviorment pay benefits training
Cons
Not the employee and customer based company it used to be
worst employment experience
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIApril 4, 2016
I get to work and everyone is upset or just not in good spirits. They disregarded how hard i worked. Management was not fair and they sabotage employees until they quit or set them up to get fired. The hardest part was staying sane. The most enjoyable part was the certificates and staff meetings.
Pros
lunches
Cons
managers
Most contradicting management I've ever had.
N/a (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INFebruary 17, 2016
I worked here for a year, during my time here I came to realize that hospitality is hard. The worst part about this job is you constantly get in trouble. No positive feedback, no words of encouragement, no one cares about YOU they care about how much money you can bring in. And they HATE the fact that they have to pay you. The management constantly contradicted each other, the kitchen manager would say one thing, the F&B manager would tell you another, and the assistant GM would tell you something completely different. NO ONE was ever on the same page. The only part i liked about this job was getting to meet people from all over the country. The pay was awful, the opportunity for advancement was non-existent and the way the employees are treated is terrible. I was lied to and told i would advance to a higher position for months and when the position opened up they hired outside of the hotel for it, when they claim they "like to promote from within". You could definitely tell that management played favorites in this company and every day it got harder and harder to get up at 5am to go to a junk job that paid junk money. I wouldn't recommend this job to my worst enemy.
Fast pace work environment
AudioVisual Supervisor (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXMarch 1, 2016
Typical work day starts at 6am by printing out present day and next days flow sheets that contain all the information for equipment in each meeting room, walk around each meeting room to ensure all equipment is in room and client is helped out using the equipment provided 70,000sqft of meeting space is distributed between two staff members, one supervisor and one manager. Once all meetings have been checked we regroup and inform the staff of tasks for the day. Co-workes must rely on each other to run a successful operation. Morning crew relies on the night staff to set all the rooms accordingly to ensure morning staff is able to assist clients with any issues that may arise. The hardest part of the job is when ever a meeting pops up with extensive AV equipment requirements because if rental equipment needs to be order or additional labor needs to be called in you have to rely on a third party for last minute service. What I enjoy the most about working at this property is being able to have direct contact with my clients and being able to see everything come together after months or weeks of planning.
Pros
great company culture, company perks
Cons
Minimal room for promotion in Audio Visual department.
A social environment with a focus on service with great benefits.
Server/Bar Tender/Food Runner (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 7, 2016
Although new management has stepped in which may not be entirely agreeable, I admire the workforce here who has great dedication and friendliness. Due to the demand of business the opportunity to work many hours is available. The pay seems to be fair and the benefits are a perk.
Pros
HR offices located on site as well as a cafeteria with food at low cost.
Cons
New management has many employees questioning their values/attitude.
a nice place to work
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLFebruary 15, 2016
I found the staff from top to the last person to be friendly and willing always to be a team player. I found coworkers and management to be very knowledgeable in their field of work and other departments. I learned to control my inner shyness and face it by cleaning the lobby,
I found the hardest part was finding a sheet to fit the bed in the one suite on the ninth floor and dealing with a communication gap with the Spanish-speaking employees, I found many acted like they could not speak English when they could and we laughed after they were caught. I just didn't think it was nice of the ladies or the men to act this way. I best memories I have are of helping someone before they left the hotel because they left their laptop in the room, I called the lobby at the front desk and they were there. I proceeded down to the front desk right away so they would not run late. I enjoyed meeting coworkers from all over the world. I worked with people from Russia, Purto Rico, Haiti, Bahamas, even shanghai, China. We had our own United Nations, and we worked great together.
Pros
health benefits, the hours, the lunch break.the breakroom and the food.
Cons
working with one uniform, missing towels and the other housekeepers hoarding the towels.
great place to work
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Riviera Beach, FLMarch 29, 2016
awesome staff and management is very supportive of personal lives. good benefits, and vacation. fun atmosphere. Great guest who come back every year to vacation at the resort.
Pros
gift cards, lunches provided by the GM, great training modules provided and are avail to help excel customer service to guest.
Cons
n/a
Good Working environment at property level
Director of Sales (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FlMarch 21, 2016
Self Empowered to perform my job with management and regional assistance if needed. Great location. Friendly staff at hotel level. Longevity among back of the house employees, ie Housekeeping, Laundry and Engineer
Pros
Benifits and Awards
Cons
Turn over with Front Desk and Bistro hourly employees
Great Hospitality, productivity, 105,000 sq. ft. space great for party, wedding, meetings, etc, planning.
Food Service Aide (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day at work is delivering food to variety banquets functions and restaurant outlets throughout the hotel in a timely manner.

I've learned, that the hotel industry has variety opportunity to help start your career. Also have the opportunity to change from an employee to a manager.

Management is can easily be erupted at times do to variety banquets functions, and plate ups, but management will stick with you as of washing dishes and servicing your needs as well. Management will provide guidance's into helping with your career section.

Co-workers work as team members provide outstanding help when needed, care much about hotel craft.

I would have to say the hardest part of the is when a team/management and myself give up on one another, it make the work load much harder when someone is down and you care so much about.

The most enjoyable part is when me teammembers/management mess up/ stuff goes wrong, but we stand up for each other pull each other threw no matter what it may be.
Pros
There are free lunch breaks provided 30 minutes, such using phone, leaving property, personal issue, etc.
Cons
Shorts breaks consist of 15 minutes smoke break area, restroom, emergency calls, etc.
Worse place to work
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Edmonton westMarch 1, 2016
Edmonton west side hotel .
Treat staff very badly . No respect for junior staff.
No motivation by management and owners as it is privately owned.
High level staff politics .
NEVER EVER WORK HERE.

Revolving door for employees. So they only hire foreign workers for 10 to 20 k dollars and misuse and exploit them for years and years ..
Pros
Nothing at all......
Cons
Millions .... zero respect
Great and flexible work schedule & so much potential to advance.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 3, 2015
What I enjoy the most about job is Management's support in getting associates ready for the next career advancement. I admire how much the company "puts people first," and really takes care of the associates. The company is also very generous and really cares about giving back to the community. The hardest part for me is working in an environment where I am in one area all day. I am looking for a position where I can interact more with my guests, thank them personally for their business, and just have more face to face interaction with my guests.
Pros
Great travel perks-hotel stays.
Cons
50 hour work week at the minimum with a low hourly wage.
Do Not Work Here
Restaurant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 14, 2016
Awful establishment to work in! They treat the employees badly & the upper managers only cares about themselves and how they can get ahead. Not a team fostering company
Pros
Nothing!!
Cons
Management does not support hourly associates, long hours, vacation time taken away at the last minute when you have a planned vacation

Marriott Vacations Worldwide Reviews by Location