Mars PetCare Employee Reviews

Decent Overall Work Experience
Packer under Staff Management | SMX (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILAugust 6, 2014
In my experience, MARS Petcare under Staff Management (SMX) was initially a great place to start work, and gain warehouse experience. If you are considered for employment (which is very likely), you can establish an orientation date with SMX to acquire knowledge on tasks, safety measures, and other important information about employment there. You get floor experience, and compensation through orientation, as well. Most of the people here were good to work with. The overall floor management was very good, and easy to get along with, as well. Once you become closer with the people who work alongside you, it is easy to hold conversations with them while working effectively, which can really keep you from becoming bored, especially on slower days, and this is the best part of the job.

On good days, tasks here, such as packing and/or palletizing can be very easy---even for a new floor employee on his/her first true work day; however, it can be very repetitive, and inexperienced workers may become a bit dizzy after working on the conveyor lines. The hardest part of the job was when the conveyors are sped up to get shipments out on time, or when some of the packaging sealers get jammed. When situations like these occur, the entire conveyance/workplace can end up being a colossal mess, which could mean cleaning it up, as well as finishing up the packaging afterwards. On the other hand, experienced workers can be very helpful, and some of these bad days can be avoided altogether despite the obstacles, and malfunctions. However, when a major malfunction occurs to the point where the
  more... product is no longer being processed, employees may be sent home early.

The worst part of the job was its unusual scheduling being unbalanced, and the new "Forced Overtime Policy" at the time was what mostly urged me to resign, since it was becoming increasingly detrimental to my job/life balance, and college schedule at the time.

Overtime hours were requested too often, and sometimes, overtime hours were sometimes requested for some employees already having extra work days added to their schedules. For example, if an employee applies to work for about 32 hours a week (4 work days), sometimes they get an extra 8-16 regular work hours added to the schedule, (5-6 work days, or 40-48 hours) on some weeks. On top of that, the employee might be requested to stay overtime, which could mean a total of 40-60+ work hours a week. This can be good for some employees deciding to actually ask to stay overtime, but can be abysmal to those who have busy lives outside of work.

All in all, employment was good here, and the overall experience was worth it. If you are not in college full-time along with other crucial responsibilities, would like to have robust job security with decent pay, and/or have no work experience, employment here is definitely worth considering.
Pros
decent regular/overtime pay, tasks are usually easy
Cons
overtime hours requested too often, poor scheduling, tasks can be very repetitive
It's WHO you know not what you know or how you impact the business.
Product Developer (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 3, 2015
MARS is a very well known company. They have a great assortment of brands, but the poor culture behind it creates an atmosphere wrought with trust issues.

Speaking only to the Petcare side of the business: Who you know and how much you pump up their ego will determine how far you go here. I hear the hallway conversations and see the efforts to undermine the long hours of those who don't align to the culture that currently exists here. From marketing, design, engineering, sales, directors, managers, no one is immune from the small group of people who influence the leaders that run this business and undermine the success of anyone they don't like.

It's like Survivor: Peer reviews are scathing and wrought with charged language. My most recent reviews from fellow scientists and engineers were not focused on my projects or progress. The shots taken on my character by people with whom I do not interact with on a project basis are outside of the stated lines of the review process. The review process is completely anonymous now and I can no longer see who provided the review without my directors consent.

Lost Time: I feel that the last three years have been at the expense of my family and there is no work life balance. Taking on extra projects, filling in the gaps in the work others fail to complete, and driving results, only to have the minutia of those efforts criticized by others who took no ownership of the work load but wanted to be a "part of the team" when the work was looked upon as being a "success".

If you challenge the status quo you may be targeted by a group
  more... of associates who seek to push you under the bus while promoting their compatriots as the doers, movers, and shakers who can "get the job done the way we want it done".

It's not just the "what", it's the "how". Two words that have taken on a negative connotation for me and many others I have befriended since joining this organization in 2012.

Best of luck to the many friends I have made here, I am close to accepting an offer with another company. I wish you much success.
Pros
Free Chocolate, Gum, Confections, and Ice Cream!
Cons
All of it is expired product!
Started great and now has a bad trend.
Central mix Senior Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 24, 2015
I absolutely loved what I did for a living. I enjoyed going to work. I loved the people that I worked with. I didn't mind working swing shift because I enjoyed spending time at work with my "family". I learned a lot from a lot of different people there. How to do certain things to make my job easier and even learned jobs even though it wasn't my job duty.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with the leads. I hate to say anything bad but at the end of the day it was the only thing that bothered me. The leads played sides. and by that I mean, if you was not a filler operator. They made your life a little harder. A couple years ago they created the "lead" position to help out the manager. They claimed the lead was to fill in a position if someone was not at work, help with paper work, or assist on the floor. Well once these associates became a lead, it changed their character completely. Some acted as if they was the manager and others just went on power trips and became extremely rude. Ever since then I feel as if the company as taken a turn for the worse. I see a lot of associates unhappy or don't like going to work. I see managers wanting out of there along with many other long term associates who have seen the dramatic change in this company. Overall Mars is a great place to work. I will not bash the company. Over the last 3 to 4 years I will say the Company has changed and not exactly for the best.

The most enjoyable part of my day was making sure my equipment was running top notch to ensure I wasn't creating any down time in the factory. I took pride in running
  more... great numbers.  less
Pros
Company events
Cons
swing shift, extreme temperatures, the smell
Great Communicator - Excellent Trainer - Team Leader that leads by example
Territory Demonstration Manager (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNAugust 12, 2015
Typical Day: No two days were ever the same. Workday could commence with a 7am phone call and conclude with a call at 9pm -- each caller with different issue but each needing assistance and resolution for their issue.

What You Learned: I learned to be patient and how to listen to the needs of my team.

Management: I worked without little direct supervision; it was my program and it was expected I would run it to ensure everyone's success and in manner that would grow sales. I lead by doing and shared the successes of my team with everyone. It was NOT me; it was the team being successful.

Your co-workers: Hard working and dedicate. We mutually supported each other to ensure we won!

The Hardest Part Of The Job: Finding and retaining reliable part-time staff. However, after sometime on the job I had team members recommending people to work on our team. A win-win for everyone.

The Most Enjoyable Part of the Job: Taking a shy, introverted part-time employee and turning them into a "star" in the store. Winning manager of the region for 4 consecutive years and manager of the entire company in 2005.
Pros
Company Car, employee retirement plan, the people and the product
Cons
Lack of promotional opportunities
A really good job to have
3rd Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tomah, WIJanuary 11, 2013
On a typical day i come into work get a short briefing from the 2nd shift supervisor and check the plant over and what we have to do for the evening. Get my stuff together for a shift meeting then perform an evening shift meeting before we start work. I make sure that i go to all of the positions in the plant and talk to all of the guys to make sure we have a handle on running product for the shift. I go to my office and do my computer work for the evening. About half way through the shift i go and make sure that everyone is working at a good level. I also make sure that there is enough room in the warehouse to put the feed we are making every evening. The hardest part of the job is doing all of the computer work required every evening. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the guys faces when they hit their targets for getting feed packaged and good quality out the door. In the morning i will have a meeting with the next shifts supervisor filling him in on what there is to do for the day.
Pros
getting along with the workers on the floor
Cons
all the computer work that needs to be completed every night
Extremely fast passed, one of my best work experiences
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAApril 17, 2015
I was responsible for getting together all of the production data from the previous days shift and tallying up all the different kinds of dog food that was made, and how much ingredients were used on each extruder. This was a daily production report. I was also responsible for assisting with payroll, employees with missed punches on the time clock, inputting holiday and or vacation pay. I organized all of the company parties and BBQ which were for about 250+ employees plus their families. I did to travel back Tennessee when The Mars Company was buying out Nutro so that I could be trained on their new way of doing payroll and to get a feel for how The Mars Corporation works.
Pros
I love the people. I loved going back to Tennessee.
Cons
Always busy, it was a job I took home with me
Fast paced production environment
CVS Leader (Current Employee) –  Miami, OKMay 2, 2013
A typical day at our site involves responding to a multitude of emails, participating or facilitating meetings and risk assessments, follow up or completion of action items, planning project events, developing processes, ensuring changes are moved through site in an organized and efficient manner. I've definitely become better at multi-tasking. Management turns over frequently providing rapid opportunities for advancement. Hardest part of the job is changing work modes very frequently. Best part of job is knowing we're making a difference in the owner/pet experience by providing a high quality, high value treat for the pet.
Pros
good team, many corporate visits, constantly improving processes
Cons
too few people with not enough training performing too many tasks.
A fast paced production and quality environment.
Production Assistant, Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 22, 2015
I worked on the production line for about a year. I then moved into a FDA quality control position. I have been responsible for running quality control tests and record all results on FDA documents using Microsoft Excel. I work closely with Mar's associates to monitor the levels of water and bacteria in the product. I learned how to work in a team environment. I lifted up to 60 lbs. consecutively. I enjoyed the movement required for the job. I prefer physical work.
Pros
Some holidays we were provided a free meal.
Cons
The breaks were extremely short.
Aggressive Team but like to have fun
Southeast Retail Event Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 7, 2013
My last two position were different, National Account Manager and Southeast Retail Manager. With the National Account Manager Position, we would have weekly conference calls with the cross-functional teams and decide on our 4 week itinerary with headquarters.

With the Southeast Retail Manager, I worked and trained our third quarter supervisors. I would train 10-12 supervisors a week. during this training we would discuss new programs and where they stand on hitting their goals for the year,
Pros
the culture is laid back and they empower associates to make decisions
Cons
reporting, paperwork and to many conference calls
Culture Change
Finance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNApril 22, 2015
The culture at Mars has really changed. When I started at Mars the best part was that it was "family owned" and it felt that way. You still had to work hard but even with it being a huge company you felt like you were part of the Mars family. Although the Mars family still owns the company the changes that have been made over the past several months have changed the mood of the associates. It has become just another billion dollar company that doesn't care about the people just the $$$. Get on board or get out.
productive and fun place to work.
Palletizer operator (Former Employee) –  joplin, missouriJune 6, 2013
worked there for almost 8 years, loved my job, fellow associates were great to, we were all like a family, the hardest part of the job would be in the summer months,as there was no air conditioning, sometimes it would get up to 116 degrees up on the palletizer.
Pros
get dogfood every month, and knew your job was all about the health of animals.
Cons
had no supervisor sometimes on 2nd shift.
Amazing Company that lived the 5 Principals every day!
TERRITORY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Nebraska/Western IowaNovember 23, 2014
Calling on existing accounts National and Indy gaining new distribution and growing market share.
Opening up new Indy accounts.
Line manager and Team very helpful in getting me up to speed in a new industry for myself.
The freedom to be creative and grow my Territory. Territory included all national accounts, groomers, pet resorts, vets, animal clinics, and pet specialty.
Ended to soon.
Pros
great team, great industry, compensation
Cons
company realignment
Professional and results driven organization
Territory Sales Manager, New England (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MAApril 15, 2015
Territory Sales Manager position allowed me to create and implement sales strategies to effectively grow the business. Daily sales calls to Independent retailers in addition to National Accounts such as Petsmart and Petco. Sales call focus was to establish relationships, train associates on products and gain additional space. Ability to work with team members, sharing of best practices, identifying opportunities
Pros
Ability to create and implement sales strategies
New directions
Single Serve Line Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 10, 2014
Mars was a great family owned and operated business for most of my time. However, over the past 5 years they've purchased a lot of companies which has drastically changed the culture, benefits, and compensation. I was still being compensated at an acceptable level, but the overall engagement and culture was miserable the past 5 years and it was time to move on...
Pros
security
Cons
culture was miserable
Key Account, Territory Manger
Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 12, 2012
Ability to align customer needs with solutions that provide mutual business growth. Recognized for outstanding customer relationships utilizing fact-based and persuasive selling techniques. Proven ability to: capitalize on opportunities to drive revenues, capture market share and optimize profits in highly competitive industries. Commitment to making one more call. Continuously learning and implementing best practices to improve profits
Laboratory
Analytical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 11, 2013
A typical day is usually fairly busy with various testing and projects. The work is very fulfilling in that we are visually making a difference within the company by ensuring that our products are safe and of the best quality. Fellow associates are enjoyable to work with. However, the atmosphere is slightly unstable currently with a pending move to Nashville, TN.
Cons
laboratory is moving to nashville, tn.
Great Company to work for.
Relief Operator (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 26, 2015
A typical day consisted of operating different machinery and filling customer orders. Mars really took care of their associates. Good benefits and paid training a plus.I would work for them again.
Pros
Free luches on occasion, family appreciation day and team building.
Cons
The warehouse was hot and humid in the summer months.
Fun place to work, good people, very good benefits
Senior Associate Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville TNMarch 2, 2012
Solid portfolio of profitable items; Pedigree is biggest brand that Mars owns internationally (bigger than M&Ms). Good training and management that truly cares about its people, i.e. spending money to support that statement. And you can bring your dog to work, which helps diffuse stress.
Mars Petcare cares about their associates.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 30, 2013
Mars Petcare is the best company I have every worked for. If you can work any shift,then this is a great place to work. The only complaint I have ever had was the work schedule. Rotating from days to nights is a killer!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
open office policy.
Cons
rotating shifts.
Fast Paced, Easy work.
Production/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARAugust 10, 2012
Work was the same everyday. I enjoyed working there because i always knew what I was doing, and also my co-workers were always helping me. There was nothing difficult about the job and the management was great.
Pros
nice break area, long breaks, food provided.
Cons
rotating schedule