Mars PetCare

Mars PetCare United States Employee Reviews

Extremely fast passed, one of my best work experiences
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Victorville, CAApril 17, 2015
Pros: I love the people. I loved going back to Tennessee.
Cons: Always busy, it was a job I took home with me
I was responsible for getting together all of the production data from the previous days shift and tallying up all the different kinds of dog food that was made, and how much ingredients were used on each extruder. This was a daily production report. I was also responsible for assisting with payroll, employees with missed punches on the time clock, inputting holiday and or vacation pay. I organized all of the company parties and BBQ which were for about 250+ employees plus their families. I did to travel back Tennessee when The Mars Company was buying out Nutro so that I could be trained on their new way of doing payroll and to get a feel for how The Mars Corporation works.
Professional and results driven organization
Territory Sales Manager, New England (Former Employee), Weymouth, MAApril 15, 2015
Pros: Ability to create and implement sales strategies
Territory Sales Manager position allowed me to create and implement sales strategies to effectively grow the business. Daily sales calls to Independent retailers in addition to National Accounts such as Petsmart and Petco. Sales call focus was to establish relationships, train associates on products and gain additional space. Ability to work with team members, sharing of best practices, identifying opportunities
Revolving door of management
Process Improvement Manager (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 4, 2015
Pros: big company
Cons: big company
About the time you think you are getting some momentum going for either a long term project or a technical team restructuring, the management changes, new philosophies, and you get to start all over selling your ideas.
Amazing Company that lived the 5 Principals every day!
TERRITORY MANAGER (Former Employee), Nebraska/Western IowaNovember 23, 2014
Pros: great team, great industry, compensation
Cons: company realignment
Calling on existing accounts National and Indy gaining new distribution and growing market share.
Opening up new Indy accounts.
Line manager and Team very helpful in getting me up to speed in a new industry for myself.
The freedom to be creative and grow my Territory. Territory included all national accounts, groomers, pet resorts, vets, animal clinics, and pet specialty.
Ended to soon.
company
Operations Planning Analyst (Current Employee), Franklin, TNOctober 23, 2014
company is falling a part, a lot of great people who are underpaid at the store level
Mars
2nd Shift Bemis Machine Operator (Current Employee), Washington CourthouseSeptember 2, 2014
Work is great and the people there are like family. Great benefits and the company puts you as an employee first
Decent Overall Work Experience
Packer under Staff Management | SMX (Former Employee), Mattoon, ILAugust 6, 2014
Pros: decent regular/overtime pay, tasks are usually easy
Cons: overtime hours requested too often, poor scheduling, tasks can be very repetitive
In my experience, MARS Petcare under Staff Management (SMX) was initially a great place to start work, and gain warehouse experience. If you are considered for employment (which is very likely), you can establish an orientation date with SMX to acquire knowledge on tasks, safety measures, and other important information about employment there. You get floor experience, and compensation through orientation, as well. Most of the people here were good to work with. The overall floor management was very good, and easy to get along with, as well. Once you become closer with the people who work alongside you, it is easy to hold conversations with them while working effectively, which can really keep you from becoming bored, especially on slower days, and this is the best part of the job.

On good days, tasks here, such as packing and/or palletizing can be very easy---even for a new floor employee on his/her first true work day; however, it can be very repetitive, and inexperienced workers may become a bit dizzy after working on the conveyor lines. The hardest part of the job was when the conveyors are sped up to get shipments out on time, or when some of the packaging sealers get jammed. When situations like these occur, the entire conveyance/workplace can end up being a colossal mess, which could mean cleaning it up, as well as finishing up the packaging afterwards. On the other hand, experienced workers can be very helpful, and some of these bad days can be avoided altogether despite the obstacles, and malfunctions. However, when a major malfunction occurs to the point where the – more... product is no longer being processed, employees may be sent home early.

The worst part of the job was its unusual scheduling being unbalanced, and the new "Forced Overtime Policy" at the time was what mostly urged me to resign, since it was becoming increasingly detrimental to my job/life balance, and college schedule at the time.

Overtime hours were requested too often, and sometimes, overtime hours were sometimes requested for some employees already having extra work days added to their schedules. For example, if an employee applies to work for about 32 hours a week (4 work days), sometimes they get an extra 8-16 regular work hours added to the schedule, (5-6 work days, or 40-48 hours) on some weeks. On top of that, the employee might be requested to stay overtime, which could mean a total of 40-60+ work hours a week. This can be good for some employees deciding to actually ask to stay overtime, but can be abysmal to those who have busy lives outside of work.

All in all, employment was good here, and the overall experience was worth it. If you are not in college full-time along with other crucial responsibilities, would like to have robust job security with decent pay, and/or have no work experience, employment here is definitely worth considering. – less
family owned, believes in 5 pricipals,safty, and the associates
Process Team Leader (Current Employee), North Sioux City,SD 57049July 24, 2014
Enjoyed working with my co-workers, busy work shifts, I was lucky to learn many of the jobs on the floor, so I moved around helped with the knowledge I learned, and had the opportunity to share.
New directions
Single Serve Line Manager (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJune 10, 2014
Pros: security
Cons: culture was miserable
Mars was a great family owned and operated business for most of my time. However, over the past 5 years they've purchased a lot of companies which has drastically changed the culture, benefits, and compensation. I was still being compensated at an acceptable level, but the overall engagement and culture was miserable the past 5 years and it was time to move on...
A good place to work.
System Technician (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 20, 2014
Pros: good work balance
Cons: compensation did not keep up with inflation.
I enjoyed working for this company, I spent 25 years there, and raised a family. They were very family oriented.
They take good care of their associates
Goat Driver (Former Employee), Reno, NVJanuary 2, 2014
A good place to work. Fun, relazing. Make's you want to come to work every day.
Great place to work, if you can stand the smell of dog food and raw meat.
Quality and Food Safety Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee), Hilliard, OHOctober 22, 2013
Cons: smell
Great culture, great people, bad smells; that about sums it up.
Laboratory
Analytical Specialist (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOSeptember 11, 2013
Cons: laboratory is moving to nashville, tn.
A typical day is usually fairly busy with various testing and projects. The work is very fulfilling in that we are visually making a difference within the company by ensuring that our products are safe and of the best quality. Fellow associates are enjoyable to work with. However, the atmosphere is slightly unstable currently with a pending move to Nashville, TN.
Productive and Fun place to work
Quality Technician (Current Employee), Temple, TXSeptember 10, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: sometimes no off days
I enjoy working at mars petcare I learn something new everyday..Everyone on my shift is just like family we all get alone
Aggressive Team but like to have fun
Southeast Retail Event Area Manager (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 7, 2013
Pros: the culture is laid back and they empower associates to make decisions
Cons: reporting, paperwork and to many conference calls
My last two position were different, National Account Manager and Southeast Retail Manager. With the National Account Manager Position, we would have weekly conference calls with the cross-functional teams and decide on our 4 week itinerary with headquarters.

With the Southeast Retail Manager, I worked and trained our third quarter supervisors. I would train 10-12 supervisors a week. during this training we would discuss new programs and where they stand on hitting their goals for the year,
Mars Petcare cares about their associates.
Operator (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJuly 30, 2013
Pros: open office policy.
Cons: rotating shifts.
Mars Petcare is the best company I have every worked for. If you can work any shift,then this is a great place to work. The only complaint I have ever had was the work schedule. Rotating from days to nights is a killer!!!!!!!!!!
productive and fun place to work.
Palletizer operator (Former Employee), joplin, missouriJune 6, 2013
Pros: get dogfood every month, and knew your job was all about the health of animals.
Cons: had no supervisor sometimes on 2nd shift.
worked there for almost 8 years, loved my job, fellow associates were great to, we were all like a family, the hardest part of the job would be in the summer months,as there was no air conditioning, sometimes it would get up to 116 degrees up on the palletizer.
Fast paced production environment
CVS Leader (Current Employee), Miami, OKMay 2, 2013
Pros: good team, many corporate visits, constantly improving processes
Cons: too few people with not enough training performing too many tasks.
A typical day at our site involves responding to a multitude of emails, participating or facilitating meetings and risk assessments, follow up or completion of action items, planning project events, developing processes, ensuring changes are moved through site in an organized and efficient manner. I've definitely become better at multi-tasking. Management turns over frequently providing rapid opportunities for advancement. Hardest part of the job is changing work modes very frequently. Best part of job is knowing we're making a difference in the owner/pet experience by providing a high quality, high value treat for the pet.
Brings dogs to work
Associate Brand Manager (Former Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 3, 2013
Good benefits, open office culture, fun place to work, could be political at times.
A really good job to have
3rd Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Tomah, WIJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: getting along with the workers on the floor
Cons: all the computer work that needs to be completed every night
On a typical day i come into work get a short briefing from the 2nd shift supervisor and check the plant over and what we have to do for the evening. Get my stuff together for a shift meeting then perform an evening shift meeting before we start work. I make sure that i go to all of the positions in the plant and talk to all of the guys to make sure we have a handle on running product for the shift. I go to my office and do my computer work for the evening. About half way through the shift i go and make sure that everyone is working at a good level. I also make sure that there is enough room in the warehouse to put the feed we are making every evening. The hardest part of the job is doing all of the computer work required every evening. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the guys faces when they hit their targets for getting feed packaged and good quality out the door. In the morning i will have a meeting with the next shifts supervisor filling him in on what there is to do for the day.

About Mars PetCare

Mars Petcare US has no quibble with kibble. A leading manufacturer of dry pet foods in the US, with some 15 production plants – Read more

Mars PetCare Salaries