Mars PetCare Employee Reviews in United States

Fun, but...
manager (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNApril 25, 2016
Good company. Will be great again once they figure out their management team and direction. The benefits are top notch.
Pros
great products
Cons
no consistent management team
Great atmosphere to learn and gorw
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Medina, OHFebruary 19, 2016
Built my people leadership skills while selling some of the most popular pet brands in the world. Immense experience in product knowledge training of retail associates. Enjoyed watching associates grow into new roles as they developed with my coaching and support.
Typical day at work
Account Manager/Sales (Current Employee) –  New JerseyFebruary 6, 2016
Mars employees are treated with respect and given the freedom to succeed at our jobs. Mars has 5 principles that govern their decisions and employees are expected to act within the principles at all times.
Excellent oportunity for growth in new developed area
Packaging Technician (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 19, 2015
Very exciting oportunity with a growing company that has recently restructured this area. Fun enviornment and great area for those who love pets and only want whats best for those families and animals.
A fast paced production and quality environment.
Production Assistant, Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 22, 2015
I worked on the production line for about a year. I then moved into a FDA quality control position. I have been responsible for running quality control tests and record all results on FDA documents using Microsoft Excel. I work closely with Mar's associates to monitor the levels of water and bacteria in the product. I learned how to work in a team environment. I lifted up to 60 lbs. consecutively. I enjoyed the movement required for the job. I prefer physical work.
Pros
Some holidays we were provided a free meal.
Cons
The breaks were extremely short.
Started great and now has a bad trend.
Central mix Senior Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 24, 2015
I absolutely loved what I did for a living. I enjoyed going to work. I loved the people that I worked with. I didn't mind working swing shift because I enjoyed spending time at work with my "family". I learned a lot from a lot of different people there. How to do certain things to make my job easier and even learned jobs even though it wasn't my job duty.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with the leads. I hate to say anything bad but at the end of the day it was the only thing that bothered me. The leads played sides. and by that I mean, if you was not a filler operator. They made your life a little harder. A couple years ago they created the "lead" position to help out the manager. They claimed the lead was to fill in a position if someone was not at work, help with paper work, or assist on the floor. Well once these associates became a lead, it changed their character completely. Some acted as if they was the manager and others just went on power trips and became extremely rude. Ever since then I feel as if the company as taken a turn for the worse. I see a lot of associates unhappy or don't like going to work. I see managers wanting out of there along with many other long term associates who have seen the dramatic change in this company. Overall Mars is a great place to work. I will not bash the company. Over the last 3 to 4 years I will say the Company has changed and not exactly for the best.

The most enjoyable part of my day was making sure my equipment was running top notch to ensure I wasn't creating any down time in the factory. I took pride in running
  more... great numbers.  less
Pros
Company events
Cons
swing shift, extreme temperatures, the smell
Great Communicator - Excellent Trainer - Team Leader that leads by example
Territory Demonstration Manager (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNAugust 12, 2015
Typical Day: No two days were ever the same. Workday could commence with a 7am phone call and conclude with a call at 9pm -- each caller with different issue but each needing assistance and resolution for their issue.

What You Learned: I learned to be patient and how to listen to the needs of my team.

Management: I worked without little direct supervision; it was my program and it was expected I would run it to ensure everyone's success and in manner that would grow sales. I lead by doing and shared the successes of my team with everyone. It was NOT me; it was the team being successful.

Your co-workers: Hard working and dedicate. We mutually supported each other to ensure we won!

The Hardest Part Of The Job: Finding and retaining reliable part-time staff. However, after sometime on the job I had team members recommending people to work on our team. A win-win for everyone.

The Most Enjoyable Part of the Job: Taking a shy, introverted part-time employee and turning them into a "star" in the store. Winning manager of the region for 4 consecutive years and manager of the entire company in 2005.
Pros
Company Car, employee retirement plan, the people and the product
Cons
Lack of promotional opportunities
Good if you want overtime
Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Clinton, OKJuly 31, 2015
Loved the people and the work was challenging. I averaged over 60 hours a week, leaving very little time for family. Benefits were great and we got free pet food once a month.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
minimal family time
It's WHO you know not what you know or how you impact the business.
Product Developer (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 3, 2015
MARS is a very well known company. They have a great assortment of brands, but the poor culture behind it creates an atmosphere wrought with trust issues.

Speaking only to the Petcare side of the business: Who you know and how much you pump up their ego will determine how far you go here. I hear the hallway conversations and see the efforts to undermine the long hours of those who don't align to the culture that currently exists here. From marketing, design, engineering, sales, directors, managers, no one is immune from the small group of people who influence the leaders that run this business and undermine the success of anyone they don't like.

It's like Survivor: Peer reviews are scathing and wrought with charged language. My most recent reviews from fellow scientists and engineers were not focused on my projects or progress. The shots taken on my character by people with whom I do not interact with on a project basis are outside of the stated lines of the review process. The review process is completely anonymous now and I can no longer see who provided the review without my directors consent.

Lost Time: I feel that the last three years have been at the expense of my family and there is no work life balance. Taking on extra projects, filling in the gaps in the work others fail to complete, and driving results, only to have the minutia of those efforts criticized by others who took no ownership of the work load but wanted to be a "part of the team" when the work was looked upon as being a "success".

If you challenge the status quo you may be targeted by a group
  more... of associates who seek to push you under the bus while promoting their compatriots as the doers, movers, and shakers who can "get the job done the way we want it done".

It's not just the "what", it's the "how". Two words that have taken on a negative connotation for me and many others I have befriended since joining this organization in 2012.

Best of luck to the many friends I have made here, I am close to accepting an offer with another company. I wish you much success.
Pros
Free Chocolate, Gum, Confections, and Ice Cream!
Cons
All of it is expired product!
Great Company to work for.
Relief Operator (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 26, 2015
A typical day consisted of operating different machinery and filling customer orders. Mars really took care of their associates. Good benefits and paid training a plus.I would work for them again.
Pros
Free luches on occasion, family appreciation day and team building.
Cons
The warehouse was hot and humid in the summer months.
Culture Change
Finance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNApril 22, 2015
The culture at Mars has really changed. When I started at Mars the best part was that it was "family owned" and it felt that way. You still had to work hard but even with it being a huge company you felt like you were part of the Mars family. Although the Mars family still owns the company the changes that have been made over the past several months have changed the mood of the associates. It has become just another billion dollar company that doesn't care about the people just the $$$. Get on board or get out.
Extremely fast passed, one of my best work experiences
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAApril 17, 2015
I was responsible for getting together all of the production data from the previous days shift and tallying up all the different kinds of dog food that was made, and how much ingredients were used on each extruder. This was a daily production report. I was also responsible for assisting with payroll, employees with missed punches on the time clock, inputting holiday and or vacation pay. I organized all of the company parties and BBQ which were for about 250+ employees plus their families. I did to travel back Tennessee when The Mars Company was buying out Nutro so that I could be trained on their new way of doing payroll and to get a feel for how The Mars Corporation works.
Pros
I love the people. I loved going back to Tennessee.
Cons
Always busy, it was a job I took home with me
Professional and results driven organization
Territory Sales Manager, New England (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MAApril 15, 2015
Territory Sales Manager position allowed me to create and implement sales strategies to effectively grow the business. Daily sales calls to Independent retailers in addition to National Accounts such as Petsmart and Petco. Sales call focus was to establish relationships, train associates on products and gain additional space. Ability to work with team members, sharing of best practices, identifying opportunities
Pros
Ability to create and implement sales strategies
Revolving door of management
Process Improvement Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 4, 2015
About the time you think you are getting some momentum going for either a long term project or a technical team restructuring, the management changes, new philosophies, and you get to start all over selling your ideas.
Pros
big company
Cons
big company
Amazing Company that lived the 5 Principals every day!
TERRITORY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Nebraska/Western IowaNovember 23, 2014
Calling on existing accounts National and Indy gaining new distribution and growing market share.
Opening up new Indy accounts.
Line manager and Team very helpful in getting me up to speed in a new industry for myself.
The freedom to be creative and grow my Territory. Territory included all national accounts, groomers, pet resorts, vets, animal clinics, and pet specialty.
Ended to soon.
Pros
great team, great industry, compensation
Cons
company realignment
company
Operations Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNOctober 23, 2014
company is falling a part, a lot of great people who are underpaid at the store level
Mars
2nd Shift Bemis Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Washington CourthouseSeptember 2, 2014
Work is great and the people there are like family. Great benefits and the company puts you as an employee first
Decent Overall Work Experience
Packer under Staff Management | SMX (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILAugust 6, 2014
In my experience, MARS Petcare under Staff Management (SMX) was initially a great place to start work, and gain warehouse experience. If you are considered for employment (which is very likely), you can establish an orientation date with SMX to acquire knowledge on tasks, safety measures, and other important information about employment there. You get floor experience, and compensation through orientation, as well. Most of the people here were good to work with. The overall floor management was very good, and easy to get along with, as well. Once you become closer with the people who work alongside you, it is easy to hold conversations with them while working effectively, which can really keep you from becoming bored, especially on slower days, and this is the best part of the job.

On good days, tasks here, such as packing and/or palletizing can be very easy---even for a new floor employee on his/her first true work day; however, it can be very repetitive, and inexperienced workers may become a bit dizzy after working on the conveyor lines. The hardest part of the job was when the conveyors are sped up to get shipments out on time, or when some of the packaging sealers get jammed. When situations like these occur, the entire conveyance/workplace can end up being a colossal mess, which could mean cleaning it up, as well as finishing up the packaging afterwards. On the other hand, experienced workers can be very helpful, and some of these bad days can be avoided altogether despite the obstacles, and malfunctions. However, when a major malfunction occurs to the point where the
  more... product is no longer being processed, employees may be sent home early.

The worst part of the job was its unusual scheduling being unbalanced, and the new "Forced Overtime Policy" at the time was what mostly urged me to resign, since it was becoming increasingly detrimental to my job/life balance, and college schedule at the time.

Overtime hours were requested too often, and sometimes, overtime hours were sometimes requested for some employees already having extra work days added to their schedules. For example, if an employee applies to work for about 32 hours a week (4 work days), sometimes they get an extra 8-16 regular work hours added to the schedule, (5-6 work days, or 40-48 hours) on some weeks. On top of that, the employee might be requested to stay overtime, which could mean a total of 40-60+ work hours a week. This can be good for some employees deciding to actually ask to stay overtime, but can be abysmal to those who have busy lives outside of work.

All in all, employment was good here, and the overall experience was worth it. If you are not in college full-time along with other crucial responsibilities, would like to have robust job security with decent pay, and/or have no work experience, employment here is definitely worth considering.
Pros
decent regular/overtime pay, tasks are usually easy
Cons
overtime hours requested too often, poor scheduling, tasks can be very repetitive
family owned, believes in 5 pricipals,safty, and the associates
Process Team Leader (Current Employee) –  North Sioux City,SD 57049July 24, 2014
Enjoyed working with my co-workers, busy work shifts, I was lucky to learn many of the jobs on the floor, so I moved around helped with the knowledge I learned, and had the opportunity to share.
New directions
Single Serve Line Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 10, 2014
Mars was a great family owned and operated business for most of my time. However, over the past 5 years they've purchased a lot of companies which has drastically changed the culture, benefits, and compensation. I was still being compensated at an acceptable level, but the overall engagement and culture was miserable the past 5 years and it was time to move on...
Pros
security
Cons
culture was miserable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mars PetCare. Our community is ready to answer.