Marsh & McLennan Companies Employee Reviews

Heavy workload for most with below average compensation for industry
AVP (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 23, 2017
Many employees appear to be overworked with a heavy schedule of travel. Internal culture varies drastically by office between laid back and formal. Compensation stagnates after initial hire with extremely regimented advancement schedule. Firm viewpoint to be turnover resilient so that each person who leaves can be easily replaced creates atmosphere of low individual value.
Culture can vary wildly from operating company to operating company
IT leader (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 22, 2017
MMC jobs can be worlds different based on the opco and department. Some areas have people with 20+ year satisfying careers and great work-life balance. Other areas have very high stress and turnover. Look to the tenure of people around a role before considering as it may well reflect the culture of that department.
Good pay, poor culture
Senior Private Client Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 15, 2016
Relatively good pay but very poor work culture.
Toxic work environment.
Bullying and gossiping very much prevalent.

Company is okay but the quality of the employees management hires is very poor with some having having less than a year insurance experience and are given a big book of business that they obviously won't be able to handle because of lack of insurance knowledge, skills and experience.

What a big disappointment.
Marsh & McClennan Companies
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IADecember 23, 2016
This company is great to work for. I love it! There are so many opportunities. If you do what is expected of you and have a passion for excellence this is the right company for you. Marsh & McClennan is top notch.
Pros
Great career opportunities, great benefits, motivated leadership
Cons
Pay is not particularly high in some departments
Not as good as they like to say they are
corrdinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 26, 2017
At first glance this is a great company, Just don't expect to get promoted or a pay increase. After 4 years I have only gotten one raise that equated to .38 cents a day.
Pros
great life work balance
Cons
low pay, no room for advancement
Dream job
Corporate Accountant (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJSeptember 20, 2016
This is by far the best job I have ever had in my life. I loved it here. If you work hard you will get far. I have learned so many things here that I find myself many times overqualified to work at a small company. My co-workers feel like family and at many times they were. Management here is awesome as training is 1 on 1 and once you master that process they will teach you more. I enjoyed everything here there is nothing I would take back. Dream job
Pros
everything
Cons
company moved
Low Morale? High Turnover rate
Shared Services Rep (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 20, 2017
Company seems to try really hard at being a great place to work but in my opinion fails miserably. If you are not a part of the inner circle then you pretty much get no where fast. Management does not encourage individual thinking but rewards a follow the leader style employee. As with most companies minorities in a position of leadership are very few if any.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
You have to pay for parking, Advancing is all about who you know instead of what you know, Too cliquish
Bland atmosphere with no advancement opportunities
Research Analyst, Global Partners Analysis Group (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 20, 2017
The atmosphere is courteous but not fun.

The most ambitious and promising talent always leaves due to low pay and no opportunity for advancement.
Pros
The work doesn't follow you home, courteous colleagues
Cons
low pay, no opportunities for advancement leading to a drain of younger talent, friendly but not fun work atmosphere
Associate Placement Specialist, AVP (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 21, 2017
Marsh is a great place for someone just starting out. Opportunities are available if you're ambitious and have the ability to work well with others. The hardest part of the job may be the workload.
Pros
Free lunches, carrier events, team members
Cons
Workload, management styles
Insurance Brokerage
Licensed Employee Benefits Analyst (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 26, 2017
Excellent employee benefits.

Fast paced environment which assists clients in securing their futures.

Fast paced.

Small offices are often over shadowed by the corporate offices.
Pros
Work with innovative leaders.
Cons
Insurance is an ever changing industry = less security
Work hard play hard
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2016
work life balance is good, pay is fair , benefits are not so great. People are very nice and helpful. Growth Is unlimited.
Good Place to work
Senior J2EE Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJFebruary 14, 2017
I was small time contractor there. It is good place to work and full of work life balance. You get good amount of freedom to decide your working style.
Great company and people to work with
Senior Talent Acquisition Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 23, 2016
Great working environment, great support of employees, excellent benefits. Diversity oriented, Long term employees, team environment.
Pros
diversity oriented
Cons
can be hard to become perm, rules are sometimes made with out full explanations and can be harsh
All about the bottom line
Client Services Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2016
Marsh & McLennan Companies are all about the bottom line. Revenue is the only thought on a daily basis. Management was not sensitive to the amount of work each person was trying to handle. Extra help from other offices or departments was scarce.

I thoroughly enjoyed my coworkers, as they were the best part of the job.. A typical day at work was very busy handling phone calls and emails. The hardest part of the job was to satisfy my clients and get the best terms for them from the various insurance companies I dealt with.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Too much pressure and very little thanks -many of us worked beyond normal work hours r
Management had open door policy at all times
Senior Casualty Claims Consultant - Vice President (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 30, 2016
- a typical day at work
there was no "typical day". working at Marsh and Sears. With the number of clients I managed and the responsibilities I was charged with, it was not easy to predict what my day would look like. In addition, while assisting clients with their day to day claims management I was at times working on team projects that would require my contribution.

-What I learned:
to be able to change directions and mindset on a dime; be open change my focus to take on new challenges; no two clients and their issues are the same

-management:
very open door policy; regular feedback on work performed and client feedback; always gave opportunities to work on new opportunities and with new and larger clients once I proved my capabilities

-my co-workers
for the most part, we shared ideas, worked well together, discussed problems we were having, etc.
Pros
Travel; encouraged and funded continuing education
Cons
weak HR personnel
Shift Supervisor
Client Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 29, 2016
Responsible for their Fleet Management Team, Reprographics and Distributions Department in New York City and Hoboken locations.
Great company to work at
PSR (Current Employee) –  Norwood, MAMarch 8, 2017
Fun environment - there are a lot of opportunities - lots to learn - there are mentoring - guidance - and you can also go back to school with tution reimburstment
You are very busy - you do learn a lot from different area - you can shadow many different areas in the business -
Pros
They come around with a snack cart - to show their appreciation in how hard you work
Cons
It is a healthcare environment - short breaks - call monitoring
All business
MGTI (Current Employee) –  Westlake, TXNovember 17, 2016
Very serious, all business place to work
Perks and benefits reduced year after year
Recently eliminated the pension plan
Pros
Stable
Cons
Dull
Fun and fast paced
Customer Service Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAAugust 17, 2016
I did the most learning at this job. We handled life insurance, retirement benefits, identity theft and new employee benefits.
It was face paced and the day flew by.
There was a lot of calculations for pricing and helping insured members understand their employee provided benefits.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
not enough employees to take all the calls coming in
Great working environment
Global Access Management - Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJMarch 24, 2016
Company has great benefits, and a good working environment.
I have learned a lot as I started as an intern. Initially, I was a secretary assistant, and was promoted to a team leader working in the I.T. department handling user accounts (E-mail) I now work on the Global Access Management team where we handle user accounts globally for e-mail, active directory, shared folder access, and on-boarding/off-boarding of user accounts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marsh & McLennan Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews by Location