Marsh & McLennan Companies

Marsh & McLennan Companies Employee Reviews

Poor compensation, stressful culture
Certificate Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 27, 2016
At the Marsh Austin office, the hard workers eventually get frustrated and go elsewhere. The just-okay employees that stick around long enough will eventually get promoted to supervisors. The terrible ones get away with being terrible for far too long. Compensation is low and those in New York think it is just fine. But sometimes there is a chance to win a $10 gift card! Benefits, like medical and 401(k) and vacation time, are pretty good. Lots of annoying people as co-workers and a mix of great and terrible people in the offices we work with around the company.

All in all - would not recommend unless you need something between finding what you really want.
Pros
Vacation time and benefits
Cons
Compensation
Management had open door policy at all times
Senior Casualty Claims Consultant - Vice President (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 30, 2016
- a typical day at work
there was no "typical day". working at Marsh and Sears. With the number of clients I managed and the responsibilities I was charged with, it was not easy to predict what my day would look like. In addition, while assisting clients with their day to day claims management I was at times working on team projects that would require my contribution.

-What I learned:
to be able to change directions and mindset on a dime; be open change my focus to take on new challenges; no two clients and their issues are the same

-management:
very open door policy; regular feedback on work performed and client feedback; always gave opportunities to work on new opportunities and with new and larger clients once I proved my capabilities

-my co-workers
for the most part, we shared ideas, worked well together, discussed problems we were having, etc.
Pros
Travel; encouraged and funded continuing education
Cons
weak HR personnel
Compassion and making a difference
Health Care & Benefit Specials (Current Employee) –  Norwood, MASeptember 10, 2016
I worked from 8 am to 5 pm, five days a week. There were multiple computer systems I had to use simultaneously, while assisting employees with there complicated issues within the companies they worked for. We did all the Human Resource work for over 268 fortune 500 companies. Following up on their cases on a timely matter was imperative.

Mercier had a diverse environment, and we all worked as a team. Learning how to be a team player to get the job done made me much closer to my co-workers. .Meeting the deadlines could be tough, but it was a good challenge, but without my co-workers close to impossible.

The hardest part of the job for me was the very sad situations employees may have been in. Though it was hard, the job was very rewarding. I was constantly reminded I was making a difference in their lives, helping them find solutions to their problems.

Working for Mercier was very enjoyable. The company provided a lot of incentives through out the week, i.e; food, contests, volunteer work, and functions. It was sad saying goodbye to a lot of them
Pros
Helping People
Cons
Worked under alot of pressure
Okay Company
Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 5, 2016
Worked for a while, grew and learned a lot here, but it is now time to move on as I no longer feel like its the right fit for me.
A strong company with integrity & adheres to the Greater Good.
Licensing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 28, 2016
A great company to work for that strives for excellence. I help colleagues, manage risk by complying with insurance laws & regulation.

I work closely with Licensing Coordinators, producers & compliance personnel to ensure licensing compliance & confidentiality. I perform corporate licensing functions, including obtaining/maintaining licenses, handling corporate appointments with insurance carriers, filing of required state reports & troubleshoot complex licensing matters with state licensing bureaus, carriers & licensing vendor. Additionally, frequently communicates with state licensing bureaus regarding licensing requirements & issues. I’m an advocate for continually improving & creating solutions to licensing issues & ways to improve workflow.
Work hard play hard
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2016
work life balance is good, pay is fair , benefits are not so great. People are very nice and helpful. Growth Is unlimited.
Great working environment
Global Access Management - Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJMarch 24, 2016
Company has great benefits, and a good working environment.
I have learned a lot as I started as an intern. Initially, I was a secretary assistant, and was promoted to a team leader working in the I.T. department handling user accounts (E-mail) I now work on the Global Access Management team where we handle user accounts globally for e-mail, active directory, shared folder access, and on-boarding/off-boarding of user accounts.
See below
Credit Service Analyst - Contract Role (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 23, 2016
I really enjoyed the contract role I had at Marsh and McLennan. Lots of work and not micro managed. My contract was extended for one month. Right before the end of the contract though things with management got sketchy. One employee terminated, one out on short term disability. two veterans quickly up and left, one position eliminated. There was so much work to do and only about five employees left to cover the load. I do not have a clear understanding as to what is going on with management and the team.
It all depends on your manager and team
MMC Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 20, 2016
There is not a lot of growth opporuntunity or interanl movement.Your experience is really shaped by your team and manager - though I don't know many people that are happy working at this company. It really needs a cultural over haul.
Pros
Working hours are reasonable
Cons
Poor management and cutture
Great Culture, Modern and Lots of Perks
Catastrophe Risk Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2016
There is a great atmosphere at MMC, there are very fun, goal oriented people that work there. The comp and benefits are great, best dental far I've seen yet. The architecture and systems is modern and updated. Only drawback is the work/life balance, not much flexibility there.
Pros
Free Game Tickets/ Giveaways
Cons
Do not work here if you have a family
Personal Lines Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IAMarch 28, 2016
This place is a horrible company to work for if you have a family or want anything to do outside of work..they do not work with the employees and demand more then what they pay for!
Pros
Cons
every aspect of the business is ran horribly and managers are praised for it
Insurance Agent
Voluntary Benefits - Sales Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IAJune 3, 2016
Great job for someone looking for advancement in a company that is always growing. You need to shine to be able to move up. If you do they promote quickly from within.
Great company with good benefits and work environment
Security Coordinator / General Motors Company (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 18, 2016
A typical day would include processing invoices, fulfilling software and website requests. I learned a lot of different computer programs, GRIT, SAP and OPRA. Management treated their employees fairly and supported their ideas and training. My co-workers were team players and we all supported each other's workloads. I really like the variety of tasks I was responsible for and I was always learning something new. Never a dull day.
Pros
Healthcare and 401K plan
Cons
Traffic travelling to work
Well Respected Name
Casualty Advisor Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 1, 2016
Well respected name. I do believe if you are not of a certain demographic promotions and access to clients can be difficult. Generous with vacation time.
Nice People, Collabrative Culture
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2016
Good company to work with, people are all nice, working hours are flexible but long. Good benefits, but like all the big companies may have, chunky organization and slow processes in everything
Mercer Review
Meeting Planner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 25, 2016
Mercer is overall a good place to work. They value work/life balance and understand not all colleagues would like to work a traditional M-F 9-5. I love working on events and wish to continue to do that in some capacity throughout my career.
Flexible Workplace
Client Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 21, 2016
The work environment is flexible and dynamic. The most interesting and sometimes the most challenging part of my work was meeting client's different demands.
Don't respect employees
corporate finance (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 11, 2016
Bad culture where politics and saving a buck rules. They do not care about their employees unless they are very senior executives or someone generating a lot of revenue. Have a lot of good people who work hard for the company but they do not get the respect they deserve.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
bad benefits, long hours, no direction
Marsh is a good place to work
Sr. Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJMarch 18, 2016
Decentralized structure with a culture that is challenging to navigate. Strong senior management but lower ranks are often not in the loop on decisions and impact to day to day impact.
Good learning experience but....
Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2015
I personally felt as if management was purposely holding me back from advancement because the department was brand new. They wanted to become established and prove their worth even if it meant holding someone back. Also, The department that I worked in was made up of entirely of kids straight out of college - first job EVER! Because of that, we were ALL treated like children and micromanaged. It was difficult to work with people who didn't know what professionalism really means. I've paid my dues in the corporate world and have a lot of industry experience. My skills can be put to better use.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marsh & McLennan Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews by Location