Marsh & McLennan Companies

Marsh & McLennan Companies Employee Reviews

Has great potential to be excellent
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2012
In actuarial group very disorganized poor leadership and insight into where career can go.

Great coworkers

Hardest part is changing deadlines and stress
most enjoyable is ever evolving work a lot of variety in projects
Pros
flexible scheduling, traveling, job security
Cons
work life balance, siloed work environment, advancement stagnant
Los Angeles office wonderful
Certificate Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesDecember 14, 2013
Austin Texas office is horrible. Managers do not know what they are doing on a day to day basis. Bullying is common, and if you speak up for yourself they are ready to write you up. What a shame. The manager over the certificate department in Austin is surely a mess!!

Truly she needs help.
Pros
los angeles office is a wonderful place to work and the people are wonderful.
Cons
benefits.
Engineer Designer
Designer/Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 27, 2013
Highly motivated Designer/ Engineer with over seven years experience in preparing drawings and topographical and relief maps used in civil engineering projects, such as highways, bridges, pipelines, flood control projects, and water and sewerage control systems. Always team and deadline oriented. Good at that getting approved and permit from city and county. I can review and check drawing of civil engineering.
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
Nice people, easy, but boring job
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 26, 2013
I enjoy the people I work with, but there is little room for advancement in the Austin office. If you are not willing to move to New York or Chicago, your chances of promotion are limited.
Pros
set hours, rarely asked to work overtime, good health insurance
Cons
lack of opportunities for advancement, low salary
Asst Account Manager
Assistant AM -Natl Marketing Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2014
This job required lots of processing of proposals, reports and binders of coverage. This job was tough but this was were I developed my thick skin.
Most of the staff were very smart and top of their field so the expectations was high and patience low.
Pros
benefits, knowledge of business, many perks
Cons
unprofessional management behavour
International business with a lot of interesting connections.
Associate Database Coordinator/Billing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2014
Good company to work for. A lot of opportunities to grow professionally. Grate people and management.
A lot of new things to learn from IT and Accounting staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is a grate result achieved together with team of coworkers. Ability to work on your own and still learn a lot and improve professionally.
Pros
good location
Fast Pace, Much to Learn and Great Long Term Growth
Senior Accountant III (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAJanuary 21, 2014
Fast paced, learned a ton, great culture environment as far as co-workers and most management. Work life balance and flexiblity are a zero out of ten. There was a ton of working on vacation days as we lost them if we didnt use them each year.
Pros
great culture
Cons
work life/balance and flexibility
Professional Environment with People who care
Sr. Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IAFebruary 22, 2013
Marsh is a zenith company which has its principals which it sticks to.
People are very proactive and professional towards work, though they treat everyone very well and care for each other.
It has been really a great experience at onsite while working directly with my client.
They are supportive, patient & caring.
Great place to work if career trumps personal
Business Analyst, Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2013
Lots of new management steering the company in a new direction, which I believe is for the better. Work/life balance is a little off if you want to advance. Still lagging in compensation against other industry competitors - and lots of turnover in part due to this.
Laid off 1st day back from maternity leave
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 13, 2012
After almost 6 years of dedicated service to the firm, got laid off my first day back from maternity leave. Heartless management with no appreciation for their employees. During the 6 years only got 1 raise which i'm sure is way behind the industry standard. Would not recommend working here.
Great place to work, very corporate, big.
Technology Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 23, 2015
Days are typically walk up and ticket based support of end user systems. Projects arise yearly for system refreshes, and rarely for much else. Work is easy but can become very tedious, repetitive, or even frustrating due to conflicting agendas.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not much advancement
Very Large Corporation
Insurance Assistant (Former Employee) –  San AntonioDecember 12, 2012
Lots of learning about insurance
Management was completely unfair to employees
Lots ofd bullying happened here even though I complained nothing was taken care of..
Had a situation where I contacted HR and my contact info was repeated despite HIPPA laws and was verbally attacked by upper management for "PLAYING Games"
Highly professional, good cohesiveness with positive team work.
VP Broker - Global Marine Practice (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 16, 2014
Major presence in the market. Maintaining a steady and positive relationship with our clients is a key challenge. Thrive in it and always up for the task. Work closely with the marine insurance market which is vital on the mid to larger accounts that we work on.
Fast pace cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 8, 2014
A typical day at work I would ring up customer items. I gained my first amount of customer service skills and people working skills. The environment was very fun, all of my employees kept me entertained. Nothing hard about this job. The most enjoyable part of the job would be helping each customer.
Part of senior team developing consulting models and staff.
National Practice Leader Brokerage Risk Control (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 22, 2013
Risk management consulting organization, integral to client service strategy for leading insurance brokerage and advisory firm providing services to Fortune 1000 and middle market clients.
Pros
part of team that helped evolve practice into industry leadership.
Cons
time requirement; quarterly results focus.
Overall it is a good company to work for where they do try to develop their employees
Talent Management Solutions Manager (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 25, 2015
The best thing about the company is the people there. I have made life-long friends there. They have worked with me and accommodated a remote office due to the nature of my job.
Good Place to work can be hectic at times
HR Leave Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 20, 2014
I would not recommend MMC if you cannot handle frequent change. Due to the nature of the business change is often and it is a very fast paced complex company.
Pros
close to 4th street
Cons
parking downtown
Loved my job
Assistant to Senior Vice President (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 17, 2013
It was a high stressful job but I loved working with the clients. There were ups and downs to the job but no actual "hard part". Once I learned what was expected of me, it was very enjoyable trying to please our clients.
Pros
great work staff
Cons
working downtown cleveland
Very large company results in micro-management/very political
Clearinghouse Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 3, 2013
Not a very pleasant place to work. Demands are very high. Never quite good enough, constant increases in work requirements which results in a very stressful workplace. Has very high turnover in compliance center in Austin, TX
Cons
no room for advancement, pay increases are few and far between
First Job
Service Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 29, 2013
A typical day would involve me bagging groceries and bringing in carts. Learn the value of a dollar. Managment was really strict. Co workers were nice and funny. The hardest part was pushing carts and the most enjoyable was the co workers.
Pros
did not have to leave for lunch
Cons
strict bosses

Comment – May 21, 2013

It's not a retail store!