Marsh & McLennan Companies

Marsh & McLennan Companies Employee Reviews in United States

The Best experience in my life
Marine Insurance Broker (Former Employee) –  London, OHJuly 6, 2015
gathering information from clients, assessing their insurance needs and risk profile.
• building and maintaining ongoing relationships with clients including scheduling and attending meetings and understanding the nature of clients' businesses or lives.
• foreseeing clients' insurance needs, such as policy renewals.
• researching insurance companies' policies and negotiating with underwriters to find the most suitable insurance for clients at the best price.
• arranging specialized types of insurance cover in complex cases.
• advising clients on risk management and helping to devise new ways to mitigate risks.
• ensuring clients understand the terms and the extent of the cover provided in line with industry regulations.
• renewing or amending existing policies.
• advising clients whether and when they need to make a claim on their policies.
• marketing and acquiring new clients.
• developing relationships with underwriters, surveyors, photographers, structural engineers and other professionals.
• administrative tasks such as paperwork, correspondence and keeping detailed records.
• winning accounts against competitors.
• keeping up with changes in the insurance market and in the clients' industries.
• Collecting insurance premiums and processing accounts.
• Checking slips and helping colleagues inside the company.

Being a Lloyd's broker helped me to understand how Insurance business runs.
Steller reputation within the consulting industry
Human Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2012
A great collaborative environment to work. Many different types of people all working together toward the same goal. Co-workers were smart, fun and caring individuals that supported one another.
Hardest part of my job was the ever changing projects that seemed to have the same priority for completion. With that being said, the changing assignments kept the day interesting. I enjoyed working with everyone at the firm and miss the family environment.
Pros
positive culture changes within the past two years
Cons
work/life balance
Fast Pace, Much to Learn and Great Long Term Growth
Senior Accountant III (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAJanuary 21, 2014
Fast paced, learned a ton, great culture environment as far as co-workers and most management. Work life balance and flexiblity are a zero out of ten. There was a ton of working on vacation days as we lost them if we didnt use them each year.
Pros
great culture
Cons
work life/balance and flexibility
Overall it is a good company to work for where they do try to develop their employees
Talent Management Solutions Manager (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 25, 2015
The best thing about the company is the people there. I have made life-long friends there. They have worked with me and accommodated a remote office due to the nature of my job.
Marsh & McLennan
Office Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 16, 2013
Typical large company atmosphere . Not many advancement opportunities if not willing to do a sales/client facing based function. Sad truth is upper management would rather keep someone incompetent employed who will suck up, and let good workers go/walk out. Poor stance from Sr. Leadership lets personal achievements for the greater good of the company go overlooked based on your personal appearance.
Pros
ability to relocate if room exists at another location.
Cons
being judged by what you look like.
This is actually Marsh Accounting. Started the business to take in small accounting/bookkeeping contracts while completing degree.
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Tomball, TXMay 29, 2015
Need to increase skills/training/certification. Sole owner responsible for accounting and procuring contracts. Owner seeking public accounting certification and will startup when complete.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Too much time between contracts
Has great potential to be excellent
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2012
In actuarial group very disorganized poor leadership and insight into where career can go.

Great coworkers

Hardest part is changing deadlines and stress
most enjoyable is ever evolving work a lot of variety in projects
Pros
flexible scheduling, traveling, job security
Cons
work life balance, siloed work environment, advancement stagnant
awesome company! great management and grew a lot professionally
Senior Casualty Claims Consultant/Vice President (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2015
I spent the most amount of my career at Marsh; starting out as an auditor, supervising new consultants, taking on Marsh's largest clients in various industries, becoming a team leader and project manager. I am so thankful to have been an employee at Marsh.
Pros
too many to mention!
Cons
not enough time to spend with my young twins
Highly professional environment with diverse technological needs
AV & Media Technician (Former Employee) –  NYC & Hoboken, N.J.March 21, 2014
• Oversee local and remote video conference set-up and support via IP & ISDN on a daily bases
• Manage presentation set-up and support for over 162 conference rooms in NYC & Hoboken locations
• Manage set-up and support of Quarterly Earnings meeting
• Schedule and conduct monthly performance and maintenance testing
• Set-up and support quarterly internal webcast.
• Coordinate and support annual 911 teleconference call from chairman of the company.
• Work and schedule third party vendors on system maintenance & upgrades of Executive conference rooms
• Maintain and repair audio & video equipment on scheduled bases or as needed
Different work environment but learned a lot
Deli and Bakery Associate (Current Employee) –  New Palestine, INOctober 11, 2013
A typical day would be for me to go in and slice deli meat, clean the fryer, and windows as well as cook chicken and clean slicers. I would go in on nights and make the donuts.

I learned that staying busy is what I like best because it helps time go by fast and I'm a really good at multitasking.

The management was pretty great they seemed to care and take into consideration certain things.

Co-workers were good.

The hardest part of the job was making sure we got out on time even though we had to stay and help customers even after we closed.

The most enjoyable was being able to stay busy and get things done and learn new things.
Pros
learning different tasks
Cons
short breaks, always out late
good
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYJune 17, 2015
good experience. opportunity to learn and grow. Employees are hard working and dedicated. Opportunity was always challenging and busy fast paced environment. Always new projects coming in.
Convenient office location
Advisor (Current Employee) –  TennesseeMay 23, 2015
Extremely busy work day. The office is short-staffed There is a lack of teamwork within the department. It is a overly stressful work environment with what seems to be no support. However, the location of the office is adequate and convenient.
Good place to work - high professional standards
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 4, 2015
Learned quite a bit about self funding and working on large accounts. Enjoyed working with the team members. The professional standards requirements were high and taught me how to organize files ready for audits.
Client Service at Marsh
Client Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 26, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the clients! It is a great company to work for with many opportunities.
Good management team and friendly co-workers
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 28, 2014
Great place to work! I have learned how to communicate better and balance my work and personal life. This is a great place to work.
Pros
work life balance was excellent.
Cons
if you have any questions there is no management team to answer.
Hard working people
Baker (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 23, 2013
Once there i was to refill and maintain product while serving customers quickly and friendly. I have learned many ways to care for food products with safety and freshness. Also how to work a large fryer,slicer, oven and proofer. Management was kind of hit and miss, we constantly went though new store managers. Aside from that most managers where pretty friendly and level-headed. The hardest part of the job is definitely being the only baker per day, there is a lot expected to be done by my scheduled time. The most enjoyable part of this job would have to be my co-workers, they are very friendly and helpful.
Marsh
FRONT-END CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 2, 2014
A typical day would usually include greeting the office staff and any present managers, and signing in for duty. Once at my assigned register the wait for a customer begins! Unless it happens to be a busier day. I walk to the front of the lane to make sure any nearby customers are ready for checkout/or need assistance. During a transaction, I and my bagger/service clerk ask questions to ensure the customer is happy with the end result of the shopping trip, while also maintaining a steady RPM (ring per minute). In between customers I converse appropriately with my coworker. I smile all day, but almost every work day without fail, my customers and their children/grandchildren make me smile and feel appreciated, which of course makes any bad day better.
Pros
nice coworkers, good customers, and good humor when appropriate
Cons
employee discount etc
Productive and soo much to learn
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJJanuary 21, 2015
Learnt the overall Risk and Insurance business. Use of Oracle financials in business development. Implementation and Maintenance of project.
Team work and need of quality audits and process awareness
Challenging atmosphere
Hardest part of job is while performing agile testing to ensure that there is no defect leakage and also performing regression in midts of successeive deployments
Pros
supportive environment
Cons
canteen is available for very less time
Great Environment
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, IndianaSeptember 29, 2013
Management is definitely the best part of this company. Not a fast paced company to work for. I didn't get much room for advancement and there are many veterans there that don't make a whole lot of room to move up as a young person.
Loved working here except....
Accounts Receivable / Direct Bill Accountant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 14, 2013
Most of the positions were out sourced to India, leaving little job security, everyone in management was great and lost of opportunity to learn and grow
Pros
great company all around
Cons
no job security

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews by Location