Marsh Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Great first job
Cashier/ Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Speedway, INApril 4, 2016
Started job as 15 yr old teenager. This company is a great first job. Don't suggest for anyone looking for a career. Job experience can vary depending on management.
Great place to learn grocery business
Grocery store Co Manager (Current Employee) –  Marion, INOctober 22, 2015
Marsh has been very flexible with my schedule during my time in high school in college. All my trainers and managers and HR people have been great friends and professional workers. I have learned so much about grocery management. My real passion is the environment so I have decided to look for environment related jobs across the country.
Pros
flexible schedule, excellent trainers
Cons
long hours, 50 hour work weeks for managers, 10 hour days
productive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Connersville, INMarch 31, 2016
Great days at work, Management is great. everyone was fun to work for had fun at work. Dealing with rood customers. Meeting to people, making people laugh.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
hours
Easy and Mannered
Customer Care Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 18, 2016
I just mainly ran the regestier and scanned items all day.I learned to communicate with people of different races and cultures.Management was fine.Co-workers was nice and respectful.Hardest part was standing in one place for over a 8 hr shift.Most enjoyable was hearing cutomer stories or helping customer out if they was short on money.
Pros
35% discount
Cons
short breaks
Nowhere To Go
Pastry Decorator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 1, 2016
A typical day at Marsh would be me clocking in, being told what needed to be done, assisting customers when needed, filling pastry case, cleaning, and decorating pastries and back up. I learned different techniques when it came to pastry and cake decorating that I didn't start with.

The management left a lot to be desired. The managers there didn't have a lot of knowledge about what each area needed to get the job done. They were lenient with some employees and let them get away with things that would get another employee fired. There also wasn't a sense of urgency when it came to things and situations that needed more immediate attention.

My co-workers were fun and talkative for the most. We helped one another and jumped in to assist customers in different areas if we saw help was needed. They were knowledgeable on a lot of things that dealt with grocery stores and how they run.

The hardest part of the job was being left with the work that other people didn't finish. It was expected of me to do what was on my list and then do what someone else didn't finish. The best part of the job was working on my technique, learning different ways to do things I already knew how to do, and learning new techniques as well.
Pros
great co workers, samples of different food and drinks
Cons
no way to become full time, no benefits, not enough hours
Management's good but the pay...
Produce Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Whestfield INSeptember 1, 2015
I liked working there I learned a lot and management was always helpful but I had worked there for three years and they still only gave me part-time. The benefits book that they gave had some nice stuff in it but I don't know why they sent it since the first thing it said was "does not apply to part-time associates.". Other then that I liked the management, My co-workers, and the Job. I just couldn't keep paying my bills with part-time and no benefits.
Pros
Good management and training.
Cons
No part-time benefits at all...
decent
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 28, 2016
easy work , enjoyed helping all the great customers
management wasn't very organized surprisingly in such a big store but overall not bad
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enough hours
Steady and interactive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INJune 2, 2016
A typical day at work is attending to customers, and taking orders.
I learned a variety of meats, cheeses, and side dishes.
Management was organized at most times.
Hardest part of job is carrying more than assigned due to employee shortage and various reasons.
The most enjoyable part of the job.....
Pros
Long break
Cons
Carrying others tasks
Not a great long term job
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, INMarch 25, 2015
The co-workers are great. They're friendly and mostly reliable. The regular customers tend to be very friendly as well. The actual store's management is great, but have little control over compensation and advancement. This is a great place to work part-time, but the full-time positions are few and far between. As a part-time job, you have the flexibility you need if you are attending school or if this is a second job, but it won't pay the bills by itself. I have seen very few women in positions higher than department managers, so if advancement is key to you and you are female, be warned.
Pros
great coworkers, mostly friendly and loyal customers
Cons
women rarely advance, low pay/far too few raises
Time to move on
Meatcutter (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INMay 24, 2016
Marsh Supermarkets was once a great work environment with great people. It has recently been purchased by an investment firm that specializes in the "corporate carve out." It is being divided up into as many pieces as possible and sold a part at a time with no long term community focused goals.
Pros
good people
Cons
minimal opportunity for advancement
Good place to work and a fun environment.
Stockman/Sacker (Former Employee) –  Marion, INMay 9, 2016
At first, my typical day was being a sacker. This job was fun and easy, other than retrieving carts when there was snow on the ground. Then I was moved to the stock crew. This job was at night which I did not like, but the employees were fun to be around. I actually enjoyed stocking shelves and unloading trucks.
Pros
It was fun and easy.
Cons
Working in the cold.
Repetitive Production
Baker/ Cold Prep Cook/ Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 28, 2016
-Arrive early morning, prepare cakes, pastries, breads and donuts. Help set up the deli case by making fresh salads and slicing meats to order.

-Learn to how to slice meats

-The hardest part of the job was to work while having to juggle other tasks
Pros
discounted snacks and lunch
Corporate management has failed
Co-Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, INOctober 7, 2015
Marsh was once a great place to work. Recently the company has been troubled by poor senior management decisions. The normal things like less hours to do more work are expected, it's the extra on top of that which becomes unbearable. The lack of planning skills puts more work on already overworked staff. Have a meeting late in the evening one day, and tell you that you are going live with a store wide change the following day, without any time to train. They make deals to obtain product that hurt the stores, without consulting store management. The worst thing of all, complaints are dismissed as nothing more than having a "bad attitude", since senior management is incapable of using criticism to improve the situation.
This company is on a downward spiral
Co-manager (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, INJanuary 12, 2016
This company was taken over by a consolidating company and has been parted out for years. Poor decisions in marketing because people didn't have a clue what we were ,they changed our name several times and didn't have a direct plan for success often if they didn't make it in sales they made up for it in labor which made life as a salaried employee there on a permanent basis often working many free hours of our own time. There did not want any input at all by store level employees to help and pretty much just told us what they wanted and didn't want to hear anything about it .Just didn't make anyone feel a part of a team...cookie cutter store plan to make everyone the same no matter the area without use of diverse sales techniques.
Pros
I knew Id be off one day a week
Cons
Many hours to works free to get the required results wanted
MarshSupermarket
Customer Services Representative/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  HamiltonAugust 7, 2016
I worked at Marsh for two years, love the company and management , not a lot of opportunity for growth within the company, but a great place to work.
good environment
Baker/deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INJune 2, 2016
Its a fun place to work if you like working part time, But if you are trying to move up in that company you wont they do not hire full time and will not move you around the store to learn new things.
Pros
pay is ok
Cons
no insurance and no becoming a manager
New VP's are ruthless, no compasion, just a number
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 9, 2016
I started with Marsh in 1973 as a bagger, boy how things have changed. I have always loved my job and enjoyed coming to work, that is no longer the case.
Good place
Cashier/Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJuly 11, 2016
I would get to work and ring customers orders. I also handle money and conducted inventory. I also would help the customers out to their cars and clean the bathrooms.
Typical overnight stocking job
Overnight Freight (Former Employee) –  Pendleton, INApril 24, 2016
This job gave me a break from my everyday duties as a manager. It allowed me to just work at a steady pace without the stress of being in charge. It allowed me to sharpen my organizations skills as well as become more familiarized with a different aspect of business.
fast pace and good work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHJune 30, 2016
I enjoyed my job. Friendly staff and customers. All of the employees were willing help one another at any given time they were available.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marsh Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.