Marsh Supermarkets

Marsh Supermarkets United States Employee Reviews

Great opportunity to help our troops
Atterbury, Edinburgh, IN - Warehouse Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 25, 2015
Pros: Lots
Cons: None
Management quickly realized that I was capable of more responsibility than for that which I was originally hired. Enjoyed overseeing a diversified staff in a non-stop 24/7 continuous work environment.
Was a good work environment helping customers along with co-workers.
Dairy/ FF Manager / Person In Charge (Former Employee), Indianapolis. IndianaApril 6, 2015
Pros: Set schedule, Worked around my son when he needed to leave school was sick etc.
Cons: Advancement, Managers would keep good workers instead of advancing them.
It was an okay job. Little room for advancement would always tell you to work on things then make other excuses not to promote you. If you did a good job it was more in who you knew then what you knew about the company and could help with. Basically if you were a good worker you got stuck in a position and didn't advance if it was at an advantage to the Manager of that store. Always got told I was a key player because I knew how to do everything in the store yet I never made it above Department head and also had other employees ask my why I wasn't a co-manager or manager because they said I'd make a great one along with customers. Most enjoyable part of job was interacting and helping out customers. Hardest part was the lack of hours to get everything done when everyone expected more out of you than anyone else. So you basically did everything.
Workplace with terrible management
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 27, 2015
Pros: the pay
Cons: terrible co-workers
My job involved prepping food, and serving customers. My co-workers with rude and my boss was lazy and very unproductive.
Not a great long term job
Office Clerk (Current Employee), Greensburg, INMarch 25, 2015
Pros: great coworkers, mostly friendly and loyal customers
Cons: women rarely advance, low pay/far too few raises
The co-workers are great. They're friendly and mostly reliable. The regular customers tend to be very friendly as well. The actual store's management is great, but have little control over compensation and advancement. This is a great place to work part-time, but the full-time positions are few and far between. As a part-time job, you have the flexibility you need if you are attending school or if this is a second job, but it won't pay the bills by itself. I have seen very few women in positions higher than department managers, so if advancement is key to you and you are female, be warned.
A good first time job
Deli Department, Cashier (Former Employee), Brownsburg, INFebruary 10, 2015
You would have to deal with customers and make sure everything is nice and neat. You learned how to deal with customers, what was acceptable in the work place and the ins and outs pleasing corporate. I loved my co-workers, some not so much most of them were really nice and funny.
Marsh Supermarkets Review
Bakery Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: small company family feel.
Cons: turnover.
Working for one of the highest volume Marsh stores, I had the opportunity to build my career from night clerk through various jobs until I became the Bakery Manager. It was refreshing to have the management team recognize and reward hard work with advancement and promotions.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers that bought from the store. They were regulars and we had a good relationship.
Friendly environment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), West Baden Springs, INNovember 21, 2014
Everyone is always friendly and ready to help one another to get the job done and provide customers with what they need.
Wonderful place to work
Co-Manager (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 27, 2014
I grew up here in my career for selling cars. Great company to work for with excellent benefits.
Enjoyable
Cashier/Trainer (Former Employee), Zionsville, INOctober 19, 2014
As a cashier i had different responsibilities including; training other cashiers, stocking items on occasion and loading and helping customers out to their cars.
Customer service, answered phone, spoke to doctors and nurses filled prescriptions
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Fishers, INSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: seeing people and helping them out
Cons: the part of not being able to help someone or the patient passes away
I love helping and seeing are patients. I would fill the prescriptions and questions within the guidelines of the laws of the state.

The hardest part is becoming part of these peoples lives and seeing them pass away or have to go to a different pharmacy due to insurance. The love the medical field.
Good experience, and friendly place to work
Cashier, Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Carmel, INJune 10, 2014
My job consisted on dealing with customers and employees helping them locate items, file complaints or show appreciation. I also dealt with returns and exchanges while working customer service. My job while working in produce consisted of assisting customers, placing supply orders, and making sure the cut fruit area of the department was done efficiently and correctly.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the massive amounts of special orders during the holidays, but this was also the most enjoyable part of the job as I enjoy a challenge and like to push myself knowing that I will complete the task at hand.
Fun work place to meet people and do some new stuff
Deli Worker (Current Employee), Bloomington, INMay 2, 2014
Pros: regular breaks and discount
Cons: not a lot of hours available, health care limits hours.
A typical day consists of coming in and seeing what back up needs made and what food that has met the sell by date needs shrunk. Then helping customers while making the backup and keeping the facility clean.

I learned how to use a meat slicer and a deep fryer as well as a rotisserie oven.

Management is good and there is a definitive line of who is above who which is nice if you need to talk to someone higher up. My co-workers are all friendly and great to work with and incredibly helpful with me being the newest member of the team.

Hardest part of the job is definitely when it gets really busy at the deli meat counter and there is chicken that's being fried and your constantly running around making sure food doesn't get overdone and customers are not waiting a long time.

Most enjoyable part of my job is definitely the friendly work environment and the people who work there.
I really enjoyed working for a smaller family owned company.
Meat Manager (Former Employee), Plainfield, INFebruary 24, 2014
A typical day included pulling the meat case for out dates and quality checks.Ordering, cutting and displaying custom meats. Production and sanitation was key. Really enjoyed running my crew and taking care of my customers. Hardest part was trying to get it all done to my standards with what hours they allowed. But I did. Best part was pleasing people and offering advice about meats, cooking, and just talking about life, weather....but mainly cooking and eating!!
Corporate Doesn't Seem to Care
GROCERY MANAGER (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: work is easy, and can be fun.
Cons: no paid time off and very hard to get unpaid time off.
We have currently closed 8 locations, are constantly lowering prices, and cutting corners with scheduling and staffing. I am a "grocery manager" and the chain for corporate is so large, there isn't even a suggestion box or way for front-line managers to express the amount of stress and issues cause by the amount of frugality they are exhibiting day to day.
Easy Job
Cashier (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 16, 2014
I loved Marsh. Treated me well. I learned a lot more there. Wish I could go back.
Long time
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 5, 2014
I was with Marsh for 6 years and worked every department, I even trained future store managers along with cashiers.
Average Supermarket
Seafood Manager (Former Employee), Fishers, INJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: good training program
Cons: attitude can be hostile, pay and benefits definitely could be better
Marsh is about what you would expect from a small-mid. level supermarket chain. Their wages are strickly average and what benefits they do offer are usually higher than their competitors when it comes to what they charge you for them. For example, to get their top of the line health insurance (they offer three levels to choose from) you have to pay $27 per week whereas the Kroger co. charges only $10 for comparable coverage.

Attitude can be hostile. Managers expect you to stroke their egos and if you don't you don't get as many hours, not as much training, etc. Their training program is above average and any employee who has been through it will be sought out by other companies.

If you decide to work for Marsh, keep a low profile and remember to stroke your bosses ego on occasion and you will be fine.
Part time job suitable for scheduling needs during school.
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: direct customer interaction, flexible work environment, professional setting.
Cons: minimum pay, constant changes in management
A typical work day involves ensuring that the front end of my store runs smoothly. Management in the store is often busy and one of my primary jobs is to keep them from taken from their work until it is necessary. I've learned a great deal in basic management techniques, scheduling of employees, and the structure of retail environments.
The hardest part of the job is the attitude average customers give you, it often can be difficult to maintain professionalism in a retail environment.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom granted to me by upper management, I'm free to change minor processes or schedule changes as I see fit. I was allowed to build a daily scheduler in excel for mapping employee breaks. I was allowed to offer suggestions to upper management on employee recommendations, and low level policy ideas.
Overall good job with great people
Front End/Customer Service (Former Employee), Marion, INNovember 13, 2013
My time at Marsh was an enjoyable experience. I was paid well with good vacation time and paid holidays.
Manager
Inventory Specialist/Service Worker (Former Employee), Lafayette , IndianaOctober 29, 2013
• Managed inventory every morning. Counted all major systems and handhelds and took account of many other items of inventory
• Trained my employees on weekly changes with our company.
• Managed each employee on a personal level to help with sales and tips on how to interact better with each customer.
• There were 19 stores in my district and I was consistently not only the top salesman but also ran the tightest ship in terms of hours we gave back to the company each week.

1 2 3

About Marsh Supermarkets

Marsh Supermarkets, Inc. (Marsh) operated 117 supermarkets and 154 Village Pantry convenience stores primarily in central Indiana – Read more

Marsh Supermarkets Salaries