Marsh Supermarkets

Marsh Supermarkets Employer Reviews

Good experience, and friendly place to work
Cashier, Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Carmel, INJune 10, 2014
My job consisted on dealing with customers and employees helping them locate items, file complaints or show appreciation. I also dealt with returns and exchanges while working customer service. My job while working in produce consisted of assisting customers, placing supply orders, and making sure the cut fruit area of the department was done efficiently – more... and correctly.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the massive amounts of special orders during the holidays, but this was also the most enjoyable part of the job as I enjoy a challenge and like to push myself knowing that I will complete the task at hand. – less
Fun work place to meet people and do some new stuff
Deli Worker (Current Employee), Bloomington, INMay 2, 2014
Pros: regular breaks and discount
Cons: not a lot of hours available, health care limits hours.
A typical day consists of coming in and seeing what back up needs made and what food that has met the sell by date needs shrunk. Then helping customers while making the backup and keeping the facility clean.

I learned how to use a meat slicer and a deep fryer as well as a rotisserie oven.

Management is good and there is a definitive line of who is – more... above who which is nice if you need to talk to someone higher up. My co-workers are all friendly and great to work with and incredibly helpful with me being the newest member of the team.

Hardest part of the job is definitely when it gets really busy at the deli meat counter and there is chicken that's being fried and your constantly running around making sure food doesn't get overdone and customers are not waiting a long time.

Most enjoyable part of my job is definitely the friendly work environment and the people who work there. – less
I really enjoyed working for a smaller family owned company.
Meat Manager (Former Employee), Plainfield, INFebruary 24, 2014
A typical day included pulling the meat case for out dates and quality checks.Ordering, cutting and displaying custom meats. Production and sanitation was key. Really enjoyed running my crew and taking care of my customers. Hardest part was trying to get it all done to my standards with what hours they allowed. But I did. Best part was pleasing people – more... and offering advice about meats, cooking, and just talking about life, weather....but mainly cooking and eating!! – less
Corporate Doesn't Seem to Care
GROCERY MANAGER (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: work is easy, and can be fun.
Cons: no paid time off and very hard to get unpaid time off.
We have currently closed 8 locations, are constantly lowering prices, and cutting corners with scheduling and staffing. I am a "grocery manager" and the chain for corporate is so large, there isn't even a suggestion box or way for front-line managers to express the amount of stress and issues cause by the amount of frugality they are exhibiting day – more... to day. – less
Easy Job
Cashier (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 16, 2014
I loved Marsh. Treated me well. I learned a lot more there. Wish I could go back.
Long time
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 5, 2014
I was with Marsh for 6 years and worked every department, I even trained future store managers along with cashiers.
Average Supermarket
Seafood Manager (Former Employee), Fishers, INJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: good training program
Cons: attitude can be hostile, pay and benefits definitely could be better
Marsh is about what you would expect from a small-mid. level supermarket chain. Their wages are strickly average and what benefits they do offer are usually higher than their competitors when it comes to what they charge you for them. For example, to get their top of the line health insurance (they offer three levels to choose from) you have to pay – more... $27 per week whereas the Kroger co. charges only $10 for comparable coverage.

Attitude can be hostile. Managers expect you to stroke their egos and if you don't you don't get as many hours, not as much training, etc. Their training program is above average and any employee who has been through it will be sought out by other companies.

If you decide to work for Marsh, keep a low profile and remember to stroke your bosses ego on occasion and you will be fine. – less
Part time job suitable for scheduling needs during school.
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: direct customer interaction, flexible work environment, professional setting.
Cons: minimum pay, constant changes in management
A typical work day involves ensuring that the front end of my store runs smoothly. Management in the store is often busy and one of my primary jobs is to keep them from taken from their work until it is necessary. I've learned a great deal in basic management techniques, scheduling of employees, and the structure of retail environments.
The hardest – more... part of the job is the attitude average customers give you, it often can be difficult to maintain professionalism in a retail environment.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom granted to me by upper management, I'm free to change minor processes or schedule changes as I see fit. I was allowed to build a daily scheduler in excel for mapping employee breaks. I was allowed to offer suggestions to upper management on employee recommendations, and low level policy ideas. – less
Overall good job with great people
Front End/Customer Service (Former Employee), Marion, INNovember 13, 2013
My time at Marsh was an enjoyable experience. I was paid well with good vacation time and paid holidays.
Manager
Inventory Specialist/Service Worker (Former Employee), Lafayette , IndianaOctober 29, 2013
• Managed inventory every morning. Counted all major systems and handhelds and took account of many other items of inventory
• Trained my employees on weekly changes with our company.
• Managed each employee on a personal level to help with sales and tips on how to interact better with each customer.
• There were 19 stores in my district and I was consistently – more... not only the top salesman but also ran the tightest ship in terms of hours we gave back to the company each week. – less
Poor Management
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Zionsville, INOctober 3, 2013
Pros: all the customers were great.
Cons: the employees did not seem to care about their jobs.
The management was very poor. They scheduling was not good. They had a request off book and did not follow that or the availability sheet you fill out in the beginning. They gave me a higher position and refused to give me a raise. They did this to everyone who got a promotion.
I Spent 6 Days A Week At Work I Was Never Home.
Co-Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: team work
Cons: no family time
I Loved This Job. And The Customers. Also The People I Worked With.
okay place to work
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INAugust 15, 2013
Pros: used to be samples and flexible hours
Cons: not much room for advancement and no raises
okay place to work. Worked many years at corporate saw many changes. Some typical office politic -- seemed to be a lot of nepotism --so many new people the culture is changing but for the most part were flexible hours but not much room for advancement.
Worked for them for many years
Dairy Manager (Current Employee), Elwood, INJuly 18, 2013
Have really good friends with the Company , am a 3rd Generation of the Company .
Good Place overall to work
Assistant Deli Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 16, 2013
They do care about you, but they always seemed to have something to change.
Carryout (Former Employee), Lafayette, INJuly 15, 2013
Pros: hr long breaks
Cons: unmotivated co workers
A typical day at work started off with me arriving early and gathering carts before I even clocked in. Id clear the parking lot of carts, then Id clock in. I learned that every one has to work together to complete a days work. You have to play your position well. Management were nice, and very understanding. My co-workers were ok even thought I didn't – more... talk much to them, I went to work to work. Hardest part of the job was carryout, sometimes people would have 2 grocery carts. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction between me and the customers. – less
Used to be a fun place to work at but not anymore
Cashier (Former Employee), Carmel, INJuly 4, 2013
Cons: the job
Just stand there for eight hours and scan groceries. Management sucks and only cares if the customer is happy no matter what the circumstances is even if there trying to rip the store off.
A good first job.
Assistant Deli Manager (Current Employee), Greenwood, INJune 26, 2013
A typical day of work consists of stocking merchandise, filling out orders for products, customer service, cleaning, managing employees, and tracking sales. Working here I have learned how to more effectively work with the public and fellow employees.I have developed a strong work ethic. The downside of this job is that there is a pretty high turnover – more... rate. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning more about the business aspect behind the daily routine. This job is fairly physically demanding. Another great aspect is that scheduling is very flexible, however working holidays is expected. – less
several locations to work and train
Store Manager, Human Resources (Former Employee), fishers, IN.June 7, 2013
plenty of room for ad advancment thru different locations and styles of management to help develop my own skills.
Great company
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Indianapolis, InMay 30, 2013
Marsh was a great company to work for. They pay pretty well compared to other grocery store chains and they are flexible. Loved working there!

1 2 3

About Marsh Supermarkets

Marsh Supermarkets, Inc. (Marsh) operated 117 supermarkets and 154 Village Pantry convenience stores primarily in central Indiana – Read more