Marshalls
1,563 reviews

Marshalls Employee Reviews

Fast-paced environment but filled with laughters and history
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Roseville, MNJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Free Candy
Cons: No health benefits
Marshalls was my very first retail job. I was a sales associate working part-time and had very little retail experience. I was first assigned to processing clothes in the basement- boy, that was a scary start. I did not know people actually manually tagged the clothes before distributing the clothes for sale. I thought it just came with price tags and sensors- I know, it's a no brainer, right? It just never came to my mind. Then later, they needed cashiers upstairs on the sales floor so of course I had the chance to actually speak to customers and interact- which is something I'd rather do. A fun and fast-paced environment was what I liked and enjoyed doing. I did mainly cash registers with bagging items and wrapping glassware. And besides cashiering, we had to make sales too- we were selling what they call TJX Rewards Credit cards. Which was a store credit card that can be used with any other Marshalls, Tj Maxx, and Homegoods stores. We had a goal of two a day, and of course, I always met my daily goals. The management there was good, nothing bad. They always strived to be apart of our success by helping us with questions or shielding us while customers try to threaten us. When I was there, I met several cool individuals. They were always hard working but yet always looking out for one another. The hardest part of my job was probably my start, I started downstairs and it was not something I enjoyed doing because you spoke to no one and there was really nothing much to do but hang clothes on racks. The most enjoyable part of my job was price markdowns. We had to come super early but it was always nice to have quiet times and fast-moving team members.
Worked for them part time when I was in high school
Cashier (Former Employee), Newburyport, MAJuly 21, 2015
This was an afterschool job that I held for a few years. Room for growth, they were very willing to train a young kid. Couldn't see myself working retail forever so I moved on. No complaints really.
Great co workers which maes it a great placde to work
Front End Cashier/ Sales Floor (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Employee Discount
Cons: No too many hours available
A great team atmosphere everyone is working together to get the job done. Everyone is willing to do whatever is asked of them without throwing a fit because its not what they want to do.
Good starter job. District mgmt. doesn't care about theft,
Assistant Mgr. (Former Employee), New JerseyJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Store discounts
Cons: Store Mgr. very emotionally reactive and rude/disrespectful to associates
Store Mgmt. needs to follow company culture, avoiding favoritism, intimidation, and retaliation. District Mgmt. still maintain old-time values of the good old boys/girls club, covering for others mistakes.
Shoplifting customers allowed to harass/threaten associates and DLPM penalizes the associate.
great place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 20, 2015
Pros: great place to work
Cons: I left way too soon
great product, great people, plenty of opportunity for advancement.
fun place to work, I would return if the opportunity presented itself.
Good and busy workplace
Seasonal Stocker (Former Employee), Manchester, CTJuly 19, 2015
Pros: Great Team WorkIing
Cons: N/A
Working at Marshall's as an Seasonal Stocker was a great experience. I learned a lot about the company and how to approve my good customer service and how to mange all my duties in a good quick manor.
its was a nice environment
Sale Associate (Former Employee), milpitas,caJuly 18, 2015
make sure my task was done and keep myself busy. The management was nice. The customer service i gave was always outstanding
Not a good environment
Mostly Cashier (Former Employee), Barboursville WVJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Work was simple and easy
Cons: bad work environment
The work was alright but the people I worked with were disrespectful. The customers were also disrespectful but that I can live with but working with people that do not respect you I will not do ever again.
Not too demanding, nice first job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Lewis Center, OHJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Nice coworkers, above minimum wage pay, two 15 minute breaks and a 45 minute lunch for an 8-hour shift
Cons: Customers, credit card nagging
I'm usually on register every day, which is not too much work. You're constantly asked to get people to sign up for credit cards and pressured, but not punished if you are trying and don't succeed. As long as you're trying your hardest the managers are super nice. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the angry customers and talking someone into the card, but the coworkers are great. Lots of younger people because they hire at 16+. Overall a great place for a first job.
enjoyable for part time
Sales Floor and Stockroom Associate (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 15, 2015
Pros: fun loving co-workers
Cons: not enough hours.
a typical day processing in the stockroom. moving damage goods from going on the sales floor. Helping areas that need help.
A nice comfortable atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee), Jacksonville, NCJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Friendly atmosphere, upbeat coworkers like myself, great managers, flexible work schedule.
Cons: none
I would arrive at work 15 minutes early and wait in the staff lounge until my shift started to make sure I was there on time. Sign in, walk to the front and sign in to my register and start ringing up customers and pushing our credit cards at the end of every transaction. This would happen throughout my entire shift until it was closing time we would restock the front of the store and lock up for the night. Management was very kind and flexible with the needs of their employees. The hardest part of the job was working until I was full term always on my feet. Although I was in alot of pain it never showed and I was told I was one of the better workers pregnant or not. I enjoyed working at Marshalls. Everyone was so kind and welcoming I never felt out of place or unwanted and my co workers were more than happy to help me out when I had questions.
Retail is no walk in the park, but this is a good company to work for
Operations Store Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 13, 2015
There is nothing fun about working retail. However, this is a good company to work for as they take the time to recognize all levels of associates and promote heavily from within.
Temporary employment
Unloader (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 10, 2015
Good job, good hours, good employees. No job security. Seasonal employment. They offered decent benefits and compensation for overtime.
fun and lively enviorment with clothes and different people
Cashier (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 9, 2015
Pros: 10% discount
my work day at Marshalls was fun when I first started seeing all the different item of clothing but after a couple of weeks of doing the same thing got a little boring for me...I need a job where I will not get bored with work even if I am ding the same thing over and over again.
Productive and fun place to work
Merchandise Associate (Current Employee), Mobile, ALJuly 8, 2015
*Fun place to work
*I learned to merchandising.
*The managers are very great teacher.
*The hardest thing I had to is be nice to a rude customer.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with alot of friendly people.
Very nice environment, Great deals, Happy customers
cashier/ customer service (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NV 89123July 7, 2015
Pros: Free food, Nice environment, Great deals
Cons: No benefits for part time employees
Working at Marshalls can be very fun and the employees I work with are always very positive and helpful. There is always some kind of changes going on within the store so I am never bored. The prices you cant beat and we always get compliments on how friendly and helpful we all are. There is always food in the break room which is very nice so I am never starving. I don't ever feel like I am over worked at Marshall's. Seasonal times at Marshall's can get crazy but we always work through the long lines and everyone always walks out with a big smile on their faces. Management is very good about being flexible with the hours they give out and are always providing opportunities for growth in their company.
sucks
Associate (Former Employee), McAllen, TXJuly 7, 2015
Pros: getting to go home at the end of the day
Cons: everthing about the work environment
you get other associates work
bad pay
rude managers
hated everything about it
dishonest co-workers and manager
never going back
Great for students
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Mcallen, TXJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Food, Friendly
Cons: Always calling for fill ins
Lenient schedule, easy work, friendly people, and they always have food in the break room. Managers are easy going and understanding.
productive and excellent place to work
Sales Associate (Seasonal/part-time) (Current Employee), charleston, SCJuly 6, 2015
Pros: culture, diversity, ethics, etc.
Cons: returning policy
I love working at Marshalls, I've been here for almost 6 years, seasonally employed. I thank God I have an income and a paycheck every week. Blessed to be still employed.
Kohls has everything
Interim Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNJuly 3, 2015
Pros: great atmosphere and environment
Cons: retail hours
Working at Kohls your waredrobe will never be the same. See all the new styles come in and all the new fashions. Work with the public and enjoy the opportunity to grow as an individual.

About Marshalls

Rifling through the racks is an art at TJX stores. The TJX Companies operates about a half a dozen retail chains, including the – Read more

Marshalls Salaries

$8.72 per hour
Cashier
Customer Service Associate/Cashier

Marshalls Photos

The Holidays at Marshalls  2014 (me)