Marshalls Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,764 reviews matching the search
It isn't a career, but a quality job to have while in school or starting.
Apprentice/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 29, 2016
It is an easy to learn and the employees are nice and fun to work with. Depending on your job you may get payed the same to do more work than other associates which can somewhat be frustrating when it happens. Management has its ups and downs but overall is positive. The best part is working with people.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes, discounts, work around your schedule
Cons
Work load compared to others. Dusty
Poor management
Sales Associate/Fitting room (Former Employee) –  Petoskey, MIJanuary 6, 2016
I as if management could have been a whole lot better than it was. I had asked for a different position when I discovered the position they had give me was not the right position for me. I had asked management to give me another position and they told me after they had gotten new hire ins they would move me out to the sales floor. I had seen about 3 groups of hire ins come in and i was still stuck in the fitting room.
Great but very uncomfortable
Processor (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDDecember 29, 2015
A typical day at work for myself consisted coming in, opening boxes with cutters, going on break, coming back, opening more boxes, assorting the items inside of said boxes for customer presentation, getting my bagged check ( company policy) and going home. I learned a lot about how to tell what items go into certain departments. Even if they look like they go in a department they may not actually go there. That was actually extremely helpful in my personal opinion. I would have to say that management was extremely picky choosy in whom they talked with. They definitely played favorites with their associates and I thought it was very unprofessional of them. My coworkers had their cliques like most businesses do. Some were very collected and sophisticated to where as others solely based their work talk on drama regarding other associates. The most enjoyable part of my job was speaking to the customers. Any job I have had, the customers have always been my favorite job.
Pros
there was a vending machine in the break room
Cons
short breaks and you had to walk on eggshells around your coworkers.
Fun, Fast Moving Work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Babylon, NYFebruary 21, 2016
I enjoyed working at Marshalls because the job was very fast pace and there was always work to do. a typical day consisted of opening the registers,cleaning the store,putting out merchandise, ringing up customers and sometimes helping in the stock room or staying for closing. Management was good and My Co-workers didn't speak any english. My favorite part of the job was the customer service and the location was very close to my house.
Nightmare working with buyer Marjon, Sarah they will drain u and drive u nuts.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 29, 2016
Worked there for three months horrible place. No work structure and Marjon what a phsycho horrible individual . Management clueless of the workers they have. Door open policy yeah right. Management has the buyers back even if they treat their merchandisers not great.
Pros
Love the type of work.
Cons
Buyer and assistant buyer made me hate going to work.
Productive and fun processing truck
Back Room Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYDecember 17, 2015
Unload truck, process all merchandise in boxes(clothes, food, furniture, etc). Process safely and a timely manner, answer all back up calls to front as needed,.
I learned the TJX ways of merchandising.
Management- Communication was said one way, done another.
Hardest part of the job: None- need to know how to multitask and return to your work as being pulled to front of store for Customer Service.
Most enjoyable- Employees
Pros
Having fun and getting a workout at work such a blast, and employees, .
Cons
management communication, store turn over rate, training new employees, etc.
Enjoyable workplace
Key Carrier (Current Employee) –  California, MDJanuary 18, 2016
At Marshalls I would help ring customers and answer and questions or concerns that they had and was able to resolve any conflict. The management team is good. Everyone is very friendly at this location and they will do anything to help anyone. The hardest part of the job is dong someone else's work when they had time to complete a task and they failed to do so. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get repeat customers and they like you and they grow to be a friend or yours.
Exciting place to work
District Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INNovember 27, 2015
Good opportunity for advancement. Good work life balance. The hardest part of the job is maintaining productivity while balancing your core role.
Pros
excellent training
Cons
inconsistent guidelines
A somewhat credible workplace to get by
Supply Associate (Former Employee) –  Neptune City, NJFebruary 24, 2016
I organize, tag, size clothes, toys, and others i learned the system of a retail store. Management was a bit careless and could not find nothing for to do at times. Co-workers keep to themselves or blame others. The hardest part was taking off the tags of clothes that was mistakenly tagged on. The most enjoyable part of the job is organizing the size of the clothes
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
short hours
Avereage retail job, high paced, large store.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 8, 2016
I love this job because of the good people I work alongside. Definitely get the family vibe at Marshalls. Amongst my management and coworkers, Overall everyone gets along decently, if not better.

It's taught me how to better present myself and talk to people with confidence. Hours are flexible within reason. Overall pretty average, but do not apply if you can't handle a hectic amount of foot traffic.
Pros
decent breaks
Cons
Redundancy
Very enjoyable and great people to work for
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 2, 2015
I came into Marshalls , not knowing anything about retail. While there, I learn how to use a cash register, interact with the public, went from a cashier to customer service coordinator. Helping with their purchases, making their wait time less stressful by having conversation with them if they were willing. My management team was the best. They always had a readiness about them, to make sure to achieve your goals.
My co-workers were fun to work. We know that everything doesn't run smooth all the time. But you make it work.
The hardest part of the job was, making sure I took care of everyone needs on my shift. Sometimes, it was a bit hard to do, because my job was to fix any problem before I had to call in management.
I loved what did. I truly enjoyed working with people. I got to meet people from all over the world.
What job could you do and meet people from all over the world and enjoy it, but retail. Loved it.
Pros
Advancement is very possible
Cons
Long hours, hard work. But very worth it, in the end.
The people are awesome, but the company is cheap.
Sales Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  White Lake, MIMay 12, 2015
I really enjoy the people I work with and the management, but the company is very cheap. The company decided to raise the pay rate of employees, and since then we have not been receiving enough payroll to bring in the help we need. Our part time associates are working an average of twelve to fifteen hours per week, and we are almost constantly short handed, so everyone is working twice as hard on the days they're scheduled for smaller paychecks at the end of the week. I did however meet some wonderful people at Marshalls, and we're all close-knit like a family. They're also really good about employee appreciation. We get Jimmy Johns, cake days, doughnuts, Dickey's Barbeque, and lots of other food provided by our management.
Pros
The people are awesome, Associate appreciation, Long breaks
Cons
Low pay, Low hours, Understaffed
Good Job with lots of advancement opportunity
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 26, 2016
They treat their employees well, give good advancement opportunities. Requires a lot of independent and team oriented work. Coworkers were great. Only thing I did not think well of was while there is good advancement opportunities I don't feel your very well compensated for it.
Very Welcoming
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Aventura, FLJuly 21, 2015
A typical day at Marshalls is inclusive of assisting a culturally diverse population of customers non-stop. It is a busy store where you learn patience, understanding, teamwork, and are able to enhance your interpersonal skills. The co-workers are self-motivated and fun. Some of who I have gathered with outside of work. The management team is about customer service and customer care. A skill that I can utilize in any work setting. The hardest part of the job may be wearing so many different titles in one shift. Cashier, ladies sales associate, fitting room attendant, and skills consultant can be hectic. But it just prepares me for anything else to come.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Health Care, Advancement
productive and fun workplace
Associate (Current Employee) –  Diberville, MSApril 6, 2016
Management is very understanding and is always trying to make the work day fun
Coworkers are very easy to get along with
Most enjoyable part of the day is seeing the smiles on the customers faces
productive
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJanuary 20, 2016
*its busy but limited amount of coverage
* I learned how to use registers. handle difficult customers, how a display should look like, approach customers. open up credit cards
*management is not well communcative
* coworkers are hard workers
* hardest part is handling the line while one 3 cashiers
*most enjoyable part is the nice people
Pros
good brand names for less
Cons
health care, only 10% discount, schedules are not very good
productive fastpaced company
Customer Service/Sales Rep/CEC (Current Employee) –  Royersford, PAMarch 17, 2016
Marshalls is fast paced always ready to provide each and every customer with exceptional service. overall the associate team members are outgoing always willing to go above and beyond. management could use a little help. But overall a great enviorment to work at.
Pros
ASSOCIATE REWARDS
Cons
UNORGANIZED MANAGEMENT
Depending on the Location Great environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCFebruary 29, 2016
I have worked for this company for about 5 years and have transferred twice due to relocating. The company itself is an amazing company, but as time has come I would like to advance in my career.
Pros
my first two locations were able to work with my schedule
Cons
Managers are unfair and biased
Very nice environment, Great deals, Happy customers
cashier/ customer service (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV 89123July 7, 2015
Working at Marshalls can be very fun and the employees I work with are always very positive and helpful. There is always some kind of changes going on within the store so I am never bored. The prices you cant beat and we always get compliments on how friendly and helpful we all are. There is always food in the break room which is very nice so I am never starving. I don't ever feel like I am over worked at Marshall's. Seasonal times at Marshall's can get crazy but we always work through the long lines and everyone always walks out with a big smile on their faces. Management is very good about being flexible with the hours they give out and are always providing opportunities for growth in their company.
Pros
Free food, Nice environment, Great deals
Cons
No benefits for part time employees
Fun face paced working environment.
Cashier/Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CANovember 3, 2015
Great place to work if you are young and fresh out of high school or looking for a part time job. Teachers you great customer service.
Pros
Discounts for emplyees, paid weekly.
Cons
Poor hours, no benefits, poor management.