Marshalls Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,881 reviews matching the search
Very energetic and well organized.
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJuly 17, 2016
As an employee at Marshalls I learned many skills. I learned how to cooperate well with others, how to assist people when they need direction. I learned good time management. I learned responsibility so others don't have to pick up your slack. I learned hard work and endurance. I learned even when you're sick or tired, you put others first to give people the best experience. But overall I learned that a job is a responsibility all in its own, full of ups and downs, but it's a great learning experience.
I like Marshalls
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNMarch 10, 2016
A typical day at Marshalls is very fast-paced and customer oriented. You learn customer servicing quickly and expected to serve any customer needs. I learned how to cashier and stock merchandise out onto the sales floor. I've learned merchandising and how to create "impulse buy" displays. The most enjoyable part of this job is engaging with customers, learning about their lives on a professional level, and seeing what kind of merchandise that comes daily from the trucks. The Marshalls family at Woodbury is very heart-warming and kind to everyone and quick to warm up to. Everyone is friendly and ready to help anyone, customers and co-workers.
Pros
Discounts, merchandise, friendly people
fun co-workers!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Old Bridge, NJApril 8, 2016
Since i was cross trained, my typical day at work varied! I learned how to be a cashier, how to work on the sales floor, and how to do layaways. The management their is awesome! I'm friends with some of the co-workers i had and still have dinner together every once in a while! The hardest part of the job was going outside during the winter to collect carts. The most enjoyable part of the job were the people i worked with and being called to cover shifts to get extra money!
Pros
friendly co-workers, easy going managers, flexible schedule, ability to volunteer for extra hours, learning different things
Cons
retail work
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COJune 9, 2016
I did not like working here. Most of the girls that worked there acted like they were still in high school, and if you were not in their group you had a hard time fitting in.
The manager there was very unfriendly towards me and I felt picked on by her. I never liked having a shift where she was the manager for the night. She has retired now.
The only thing I liked was interacting with the costumers. Most of them were friendly and joked with me when the security tags would not come off.
Pros
Friendly costumers
Cons
Inmature co-workers, Unfriendly manager.
Nice experience in the workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 18, 2016
Working at Marshalls I felt confident and open to my management. They were really nice and made sure i was comfortable working there. My coworkers were good people, i appreciate getting to know them. The hardest part of the job, was dealing with rude customers ,but i always made it work and still had a smile on my face.The most enjoyable part was helping the customers get what they need and more. While i working there i learned how much the workers do not like to have to pick up clothes off the floor.
fun place with the right managers
Associate (Current Employee) –  Overland, MOSeptember 24, 2015
i love my job but the managers ruin it. youll have a lot on your plate and they'll want to dump more on you with unreasonable time frames. they also are bad about hours. you're guaranteed 15-20 hours but that wont cut it if its you only job and a lot of time your shift will be less than 5 hours. they like to say theyre all about moving you up in the company but they'll blow you off about it. if youre just looking for a couple extra hours its good, but good luck getting them to schedule you to your availability.
Pros
fun environment, interesting customers, fun incentives
Cons
bad hours, no promotion opportunities, bad management
Too little hours.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hialeah, FL 33012February 9, 2016
Honestly, I did not enjoy working for this company. They made me work very little hours sometimes less than 8 hours a week which is terrible. Also it was hectic especially on Saturdays and I worked by myself in one department, I also had to do the register they basically exploit some of us making us do more than one job at a time to save them money. Only good thing is the pay but with little hours its not worth it unless your full-time.
Pros
Above minimum wage pay
Cons
Very little hours
Productivity
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, GADecember 19, 2015
REstock
cleaning
organizing
Greeting customers
Engaging with customers
Being helpful towards the customers

These skills taught me to communicate with different types of people.

The store has three managers. There is a store manager, a stock manager and a sales manager.

I work as a team with co workers. We work together on the cash register as well as restocking and organizing merchandise. Co workers also help keep the fitting room up to par by re stocking merchandise. Everything is done through team work.

Hardest part of the job is when it gets too busy. The consequences are merchandise getting disorganized faster as well as more demand which will mean there will be a higher demand for lay away, cashiers & customer service. When the store is short on employees for that day, it pushes the rest of the employees to work harder.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting on a personal level with customers and engaging with them. Being able to help them out with there purchase decision.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Short breaks, very little hours
A great place to work with great people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richfield, MNSeptember 9, 2015
I would love to work there again the poeple was amazing. I had fun helping men and women find exactly what they were looking for it maybe for a dinner date or just simply a picture they wanted to hang in their dining room.
Pros
Flexible
Benefits
organized, friendly, and productive
Front end Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 28, 2015
Great place to work at for students as it is flexible and management works with your schedule. Opportunities for advancement within the company.
Pros
Company values its employees and rewards them
Cons
No benefits for part-time and hours are 20 or less
Nightmare working with buyer Marjon, Sarah they will drain u and drive u nuts.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 29, 2016
Worked there for three months horrible place. No work structure and Marjon what a phsycho horrible individual . Management clueless of the workers they have. Door open policy yeah right. Management has the buyers back even if they treat their merchandisers not great.
Pros
Love the type of work.
Cons
Buyer and assistant buyer made me hate going to work.
It isn't a career, but a quality job to have while in school or starting.
Apprentice/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 29, 2016
It is an easy to learn and the employees are nice and fun to work with. Depending on your job you may get payed the same to do more work than other associates which can somewhat be frustrating when it happens. Management has its ups and downs but overall is positive. The best part is working with people.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes, discounts, work around your schedule
Cons
Work load compared to others. Dusty
Too much drama, no push for improvement
Associate (Current Employee) –  Marysville, WAMay 11, 2015
When you first start they give the big hype of all the chances you have to improve and advance, yet after a week it is like they forget who you are. You might get lucky that another associate trains you and teaches you because the managers forget to. Then you have the associates who think they know it all when the managers are gone, they get bossy, rude, mouthy and boldly bad mouth the managers and other associates. Managers get your hopes up for raises then they keep delaying it.
Pros
Very flexible schedule
Cons
Too much gossip drama, lack of training advancement
Productive teamwork with good hours
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Highland, INMay 24, 2016
A day at Marshalls would include cashiering on and off for about 5 and a half hours for part timers and you keep your counter clean as the shift goes on by keeping sensors in bins and keep hangers on the racks. With each customer youre required to ask if they would like to apply for our TJX card. Toward the end of your shift you put away all of your sensors and hangers and then you organize your paperwork
Pros
catered food occasionally, friendly coworkers
Cons
short breaks, short shifts
Marshalls
Store Administrator (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORApril 11, 2015
Reconciling and balancing the safe funds, ensuring all time card edits are completed and emails sent and working with customers in the store. I have learned protocols and procedures in creating a more efficient work place. Management is good but there is a need for more attention to training for hourly management to be more through and complete. The hardest part of my day is usually in the afternoon making sure that everything is set for the night shift and ensuring those projects I cannot complete are handed off to management and the most enjoyable are the customers I get to see and meet on a daily basis.
Pros
Benefits, Associate Appreciation Days, Customers, Team Work
Cons
Length and Follow through of training, compensation
Productive and enlightening workplace
Back Room Associate (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJanuary 10, 2016
A typical day of work started by getting the backroom ready to receive shipments. We all stood in an assembly line, and did the necessary tasks to get every single item separated by category. Everybody did their part and even went the extra mile. Management was great and very helpful, and i felt like they cared about their employees. The hardest part of the job was making sure the clothes were tagged correctly and neatly. The mmost enjoyable part of the job was seeing how a retail store is operated, and how much work employees put into making sure the sales floor is immaculate.
enjoyable
associate (Current Employee) –  Linden, NJMay 31, 2016
arrive at 7:30 am - perform as markdown associate along with 3 other team mates. each day we collect our computers and proceed to required department to mark down merchandise

i have learned much about retail. its face paced and ever changing

management is fine

co-workers are excellent, i get along with everyone

hardest part of the job is there isnt enough hours therefore not enough pay

the people i work with and the ever changing events
Pros
occastional pizza, doughnuts holiday food
Cons
not enough hours
retail
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  nashville tnNovember 7, 2015
retail in this company is ok it has its up and downs but some of the management is horrible but I cant control that all I can do is come to work and do my job and go home. I try to stay focused so there will be nothing said. But Marshalls hire the wrong people to be in management they like to promote who they like and have favoritism to there has even been some discrimination with this company that has involved a couple of associates.
Pros
like working with the people and customers
Cons
not enough promotion within the company, discrimination, favortisim, short staff because of the way they treat people
I was the top L.P.Detective in the Region for the last three years
Detective (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 8, 2016
Following customers throughout the store, mostly not to profile anyone who shops at our store, Really good management to work for and very helpful in many situations, The co-workers were very good at alerting me when they see potential shoplifters in the store, Being prepared to stop a suspected shoplifter because you never know what's going to happen, Meeting new people
Pros
Going to different cities to work at different stores
Cons
When the traveling stopped
Not Employee friendly
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 9, 2016
Cut back on hours and even though they raised the minimum wage the workers are expected to do far more with what turns out to be lower pay. The Coordinators are expected to step up and do more of the Managers duties, Their duties and PT associate duties with no increase in pay. Only if you fell in the $1 over the minimum wage increase did they pay more money. Then they only pay $1 more for far more expected of position. Moral IN stores has gone way down in last year or 2. I would not recommend working here until they make store level changes