Marten Transport Employee Reviews

very stressful company to work for. Low pay, high expectations
Road Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WISeptember 22, 2016
Pay is very low compared to what they expect of you.
Company is more concerned about their equipment being secured than drivers safety. Numerous times a drivers APU unit would quit working in 80+ degree heat and temps below 30 but driver wouldn't be allowed to get a motel unless the truck was at motel or in a secured (fenced & gated) location. Even if they were at a truck stop with a motel next door. If the motel didn't have parking, driver was forced to stay in truck. They would not allow any work on APU's by any shop other than dealers, and will not fix after hours.

Management wouldn't listen to employees complaints, especially if it was a complaint against a "favorite". Policies would be made, but not followed thru

They're more concerned in getting a truck filled with a driver than finding quality drivers.
Pros
Some of the benefits
Cons
Very low pay
Take the good with the bad
Class A CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, KSOctober 24, 2016
The company overall is great loved my job got good miles and they paid on time most of the time but fleet managers have no concern for your personal life and constantly bugged me to drive over my hours then the home terminal would repremand me for doing it so the fm's throw you under the buss and if anything goes wrong with a load its alwaya gonna be your fault never theirs and you constantly gotta bug them about layover pay
Pros
Good benefits and pay
Cons
Fleet managers have no concer for you
Productive work environment.
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  DeSoto, TXNovember 30, 2016
Marten Transport was a great company to work for. They offered great benefits and paid me good. I got to do what I love and drive across the country and enjoy meeting new people as well as accomplishing my work tasks.
Ok at the local level
Shop Foreman (Current Employee) –  DeSoto, TXJune 9, 2016
Marten was one of the better shops I have worked at and even after moving into the foreman position I was mostly happy with them. Over the last year or so they have become more and more irrational at the corporate level. Though they claim every year they are making more profits than ever benefits and bonus get cut every year and they have started laying people off and downsizing.
Pros
Annual raises
Cons
Irrational at corporate level
Thought this was a great move
Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 5, 2017
If you take a vacation you got to turn your truck in hopefully u are close to a terminal.you got to find your own way home then you ask how you get back they say they don"t know.but when its time to go back you not getting the same truck they gonna put you on a plane fly you across the country to get a new truck not the one you got pulled out of just because you went on a vacation.also make sure you keep up with your 2 pad locks ,steering lock,and your little key lock to check your breaks also i turned my key but they still charged me for it after i took my vacation i said goodbye got tired of being away from home and tired of fleet managers calling me all day long for dumb stuff and they don"t give a dam about you nothing but giving you loads.
Pros
great pay, stable job, nice trucks
Cons
fleet managers, management, not enough home time, fleet managers call you too much
Good benefits for drivers
Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VAFebruary 4, 2016
As a driver, they have the best benefits available. As an office employee, there is room for improvement.

While there, I did learn about Fleet Management and the various programs to deal with various drivers and loads.

At the time of my training, I was not however taught in a manner in which it could be retained. At the particular site I worked at, the atmosphere was very loud and was told they will continue to be loud as that is their way. Was hostile at times as well.

Over all, I enjoyed my work and working with the new hires. Being able to help train them and helping them acclimate into their position as a driver for Marten was very rewarding.

I did not enjoy the atmosphere of cursing loudly and often around me especially when on the phone with a customer or client.
Pros
Great benefits for drivers. Enjoyed working with the new hires.
Cons
Bad atmosphere at the terminal I worked at with loud outbursts of cursing.
If you want to sit and dont care to run and make money i surely recommend it!!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 21, 2015
I worked here for almost 3 yrs and all I did was sit. Supposedly I was one of their top employees. And when I did run it was short runs with too much time on it. Or not enough. If you have accidents that police found non preventable they will find some you to make you responsible even tho you had no options. And if you get terminated they will leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. Beware!! They Don't care about employees. They don't give raises like they say supposedly every yr. Not true at all. I can go on and on. They'll even try to belittle you by sending a letter with everyone whose been in an accident that month with a message to try insult you. But I'm already working local and making more money. This place sucks!!
Pros
You sit a lot..lol
Cons
Read message above
Good Company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Mondovi, WIMay 24, 2016
Good company with good benefits, will pay detention and any layover time that you may be down instead of driving miles. I enjoy how they take care of you in ways that some other trucking companies dont
Pros
good miles an pay
Cons
truck was down alot
Marten Transport
Diesel Technician (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 26, 2016
Nice place Very clean and well kept shop , not much room for career advancement but the atmosphere is good. I've been here for a little over 2 and a half years and have taken much experience form this company in my small amount of time .
Pros
bonuses and frequent cook outs for employee appreciation
Cons
not much room for career growth
Good Opportunities
Fleet Manager (Current Employee) –  GANovember 12, 2016
Good opportunities for advancement here. Well run company, but management is trending down. Good place to get experience, but not sure if it is a long term place for many people.
Not worth anybodies time if you want to make money
Former Driver (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, KSFebruary 10, 2017
This job is easy most of the time it is just drop and hooks but don't expect to get home that probably won't happen. Fleet managers are about as smart as a fence post. Oh and don't just leave this company they will charge you for your orientation and your hotel stay both of those combined are about $600 so if you do this make sure it is where you want to be.
Pros
Not a lot of pros with this company
Cons
Worst company i have worked for about liying to there drivers and taking money from there drivers
A great place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WISeptember 28, 2016
A great place to work and run miles and deliver freight.And make money too.Its long hours and you do not get alot of sleep but if you get bored easy this is not the job for you.But the good thing about driving for marten transport they were fun to work for.
Pros
took care of there drivers.
Cons
not home enough.
FLEET MANAGER (Current Employee) –  IndyDecember 7, 2016
Job is very stable and challenging but never a dull moment. I enjoy the people I work with, although the management can be hard to handle at times because it is always changing.
Fired out of state without reimbursement
former driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 22, 2017
Horrible dispatch, horrible team-atmosphere, prejudiced employees/management . terminated out-of-state without reasonable accomodation
Pros
keep trucks maintained
Cons
everything else
Not Family Friendly AT ALL
OTR Driver with Haz Mat (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WIJanuary 7, 2017
Dispatch kept pushing even when I told them I was tired and needed rest/sleep. A lot of dead time between unload and reload. Miles were hit and miss. Even with 3 weeks notice, they could not get me home for time with my family when I requested it. They also called me back to work early.
Pros
Reimbursements were okay
Cons
Regional was not regional. Pushy dispatcher.
Great company to work for
Driver (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WIFebruary 7, 2017
Pick up the load and make drops on time. Management is very helpful to the driver. No hard labor and very friendly company to work for. The only hardest part is when you lay over night.
Its ok if you want the experience
Driver (Current Employee) –  Wisconsin Dells, WINovember 13, 2016
Marten Transport is a good company hey just talked to tell you a lot of stuff about the company they run you okay you get $2,100 a week and that's it but you got to work through the holidays some weeks I'll get maybe $1,500 a week and less
Pros
Its a good job
Cons
No miles
Great Training Program
Professional Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WIDecember 2, 2016
Marten Transport is a very organized company with a very high standard of getting cargo to the receiver on time. I enjoyed working for this company.
Pros
The pay was good.
Cons
At times the reefers would lose the settings making us do more enroute inspections than necessary, finding an empty trailer to pick up the next load
Local Driving, home everynight
Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WIJanuary 9, 2017
Enjoyed the work, no touch freight. The co-workers I met were professional and pleasant. Good hours and easy routes. Health and Life insurance was comparable.
Pros
home daily
Informative orientation
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 21, 2017
They do have an informative & well planned orientation that you attend & the training staff seems well educated & helpful with the job at hand. I was assigned a truck & on the road the next afternoon.
Pros
New equipment & good orientation training
Cons
Bad dispatching, not helpful when emergencies arise

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marten Transport. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8