Martin's Fantasy Island Employee Reviews

great place
Front Gate Supervisor Count (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NYAugust 19, 2017
Marty was a great person to work for, I am a hard working person, great to get along with others. loved watching the little kids go in the park and come out tired
Fairly old fashion workplace
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NYAugust 18, 2017
Working at Martin's Fantasy Island were very fun summers. The staff and management were amazing. The patrons were very respectable people and the job environment was more like fun than being at work.
Working in the catering division, we had different rules from the rest
Caterer/Server (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NYSeptember 17, 2016
Unless you work in the catering division, Martins Fantasy Island isn't all that magical. I was a server in catering for two years, spent a few days operating rides and even worked a register one day. The workers and lower management are the best part of the job by far. Often they would congratulate us for a hard days work or pass on compliments from the customers. The hardest part of the job is the days when an unbelievably-low amount of people show up to the park. These are the days where ten out of two hundred people show up for a picnic and as a server, you have to stand there for the entirety of it twiddling your thumbs in case more people show up. Upper management seemed very harsh and stern in my interactions with them. They would stand directly behind me while I was trying to serve and dictate every movement I made directly into my ear as if I didn't know what I was doing.
Cons
If you don't ask for a break you won't get one
Employees are fun to work with
Cashier, and food service (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NYMay 26, 2016
A typical day at work was doing my job, talking with my co-workers, and then going home. I learned how to successfully work a cash register and work in a fast food type of work place preparing food and serving it. All of my co-workers were pretty fun to work with and they made the job more enjoyable. The most difficult part of the job was transportation. I had to take two buses, it took an hour and a half to get there
place was always unorganized
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NYOctober 15, 2014
typical day at work was sweeping up garbage off of the amusement park ground and emptying garbage. i didn't really learn anything. management wasn't good because there really wasn't a manager. the hardest part of the job was trying to find a nice employee.
Pros
it was an ok job
Cons
the people i worked with
Fun but low pay and few hours
Catering Employee (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NYJune 21, 2014
When I first started here I enjoyed it. The second summer not so much. I was told that I would get more hours, that didn't happen. I would be told a day before when I was scheduled to work and sometimes I would be called an hour before I was supposed to start that they didn't need me to come in. Management gives themselves and their friends all the hours. First you stack up buns, then I would serve guest, then I would wash pans for a few hours. There had been some complaints about a few of my coworkers, nothing was done by management and the following year these people were actually promoted.
For the most part when I was there I enjoyed it. It was easy work and I got to talk to a lot of people. To me it seemed like for they would favor you just to get you to stick around for another year. It's a great job to get some work experience because they hire anyone, but after a summer I suggest finding another job.
Pros
free food, friendly coworkers
Cons
extremely hot, poor scheduling, little room for advancement
Maintain all rides.
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NYApril 10, 2014
Ride every ride in morning before we opened. Lube tracks for the coaster. Inspect rides every day.
How an amusement place runs.
Management was okay.
Co-workers were easy going.
Hardest part was lubricating
the coaster tracks, and teardown.
The water park had a lot of things to do every morning.
Pros
Free admision for my family and friends.
Cons
Owner was very moody.
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 17, 2013
A typical day at Martin's Fantasy Island is that I'll arrive to work punch in and go straight to my station. I prepare the machines, wipe down counters, tables, benches, prepare food. Count the money to make sure I start off with the full amount. As the day goes on I cook and prepared food and also cash people out with a positive attitude. Towards the end of the day I start to clean my station up and take the garbage out.
Fun environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NYMarch 5, 2013
Hard at first becomes like a family after working a few summers. Awesome co-workers. Great park for families with younger children.
The hardest part of the job
Rides Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NYMay 31, 2012
The hardest part of the job was telling a child who wasn't tall enough that he/she couldn't go on a ride and listening to the parents yell and complain how they paid so much money and thier child cant go on. I mean safety does come first at an amusment park but I hated saying no to someone who couldn't ride and telling their parents they were to short to ride because I am sure that child would of loved the ride they couldnt go on.
Pros
free passes to the park
Cons
no benefits