Martin's Point Health Care Employee Reviews

Physician
Physician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 28, 2016
Manufactured culture and lack of care for employees and patients. Customer service in person and on the phone is horrible. Pressure to see too many patients and bill for services.
Pros
Pie day
Cons
Poor management, false values and culture
People Caring for People
PSR - Referral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brunswick, MEOctober 20, 2015
I would never leave this company if I wasn't planing on relocating my family to Florida. They take care of the people that work for them on many levels. The pay is more than fair and the culture is fantastic.
Took inbound calls and provided best service possible
Member Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MESeptember 11, 2014
Taking inbound calls from active and retired military personal and their families regarding health insurance.
I learned the insurance for military people and their familes
The hardest part of this job was talking with spouses that lost their spouses in the war.
The best part of this job were talking with these people and getting to thank them for their service to their country.
Pros
talking with the military members
Cons
hearing what happened to them and employees showing up late for work
Vendor, Contract, Process Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEApril 23, 2014
I was laid off after 19 years due to a restructuring.
My work experience has gone from Nursing School, to CNA work in Nursing Homes, to working for a Medical Manufacturer inside Customer Service, to working for a Hospital Supply distributor, to Purchasing in a Hospital to Materials Management for a Surgery center, to Selling Medical & Lab supplies, to my Materials Management career at Martin's Point Health Care. All of my past experience was used in my job as I related to patients, medical staff manufacturer, distributors and vendors.
Systems Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMarch 2, 2014
Martin's Point has a great environment and great people. I enjoyed working there while I was able to be there.
A great place to train for Health Information Technologies
Health Information Externship (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEOctober 17, 2013
A typical day at work here consisted of sorting faxes, processing medical records requests, following up on specialists referral orders/appointments, and requesting results of diagnostic and imaging tests that had been ordered. I also had some exposure to their billing process as well as general front office duties. What I saw from management was good. The office ran quite smoothly and everyone worked as a team to get things done. My co-workers were great and patient in teaching me what I needed to know for entry level HIT work. The hardest thing about the job was just learning all the ways of getting around an electronic medical record and getting the courage to make the calls to follow up on orders and appointments. That was actually the most enjoyable part of the job as well.
Best place I've ever worked up until the new EMR system arrived
clinical (Current Employee) –  MaineSeptember 27, 2013
I put in close to 3 years and have seen alot of change some good some bad. Most recently a system change in EMR has turn the clinical workers into under appreciated, work horses. Absolutely no flexibility in schedule and the support for "furthering education" is hardly supported by clinical management. The recent changes were to make staff and patients work and healthcare easier. It has been far from easier it has tripled MAs work load and without help. I could go on.
Pros
gorgeous facility, benefits, competitive pay, amazing providers to work with
Cons
No breaks, only 30 min lunch, political management, unsupportive and hard to manage home life with such demanding work responsibility, caddy team environment.
Productive place where you can play wii on your lunch break..
Health Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEAugust 20, 2013
A typical day involved data entry, phone calls, faxing typical office duties. Responsible for outgoing medical records and the validity of authorization forms according to Maine State Law and HIPAA.
The people that work for this company are hands down the best group of people I've come across.
I have grown in each year I was there, in different areas of my department, skills that I will use going forward as I find my forever career.
benefits
Cons
short breaks/secrecy
Personal health care vs. providing health care
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHMay 25, 2013
After 9 years of dedicated service amidst an ever evolving healthcare industry I found it impossible to continue. In the time that I was employed we were always down a clinical support member pre recession! In addition, no coverage was planned for expecting mothers. The load was added on to the remaining support team. Our office manager was unavailable, both in presents and problem solving. I loved my patients. I enjoyed my professional relations with the staff. The company as a whole is facing its challenges wholeheartedly. The hardest part of my job was not being allowed to be more personable with the patients. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing each and every day I might have made someone's life a little better.
Pros
The providers, patients and coworkers. Insurances and 401K.
Cons
Constant last minute work schedule changes, little or no breaks.
Very professional environment--good team-oriented facility
Staff pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMay 8, 2013
Managed-Care company with broad offerings to their patients in types of plans and choice of pharmacies
Pros
Best staff I ever worked with
Cons
Travel
Providing excellent primary care to patients.
Family Practice Primary Care Nurse (Current Employee) –  MaineMarch 2, 2013
Fast paced primary care office, managing patient care, working one on one with providers, patients and staff.
Pros
educating and caring for our patients first hand
Cons
pay, uncertainty where the organization is currently going
Mixed feelings - exciting and challenging times
Employee (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 15, 2013
The organization has been facing great change because of the financial and economic times. As a result, decisions in hiring seem to take a long time and recently there have been a number of cuts in staffing. In particular, there has been some high turnover in management (seems like they don't stay more than a couple years).

I will say that Martin's Point:

(+) It pays quite well which can make it very attractive.

(+) The mission and many of the people are dedicated, ambitious and compassionate .

(-) Depending on your job you may or may not experience the politics (e.g. a long delay in decision-making) as well as quickly know what landmines to watch out for.

Martin's Point has much to offer...A piece of advice for one to succeed at Martin's Point - you'll need to be very adaptive, patient with the decision-making (tends to take up a lot of meetings) and be able to handle a heavy workload (not the greatest work/life balance)
Pros
friendly environment, good pay and benefits
Cons
lack of work/life balance, uniformity of style and culture vs. diversity
Lot's of churn in management
Director (Former Employee) –  PortlandNovember 22, 2012
The organization is certainly changing and management changes the fastest. Most managers/executives don't stay more than a couple years. There's big emphasis on culture so there's a great deal of pressure to adapt and do things with a prescribed style at least as much as getting things done. Lots of committee decision-making.

While it's technically a non-profit, it doesn't feel like one. Financial performance is emphasized as much as mission.

It changed a lot while I was there and felt much more like the typical big company when I left. Still, probably one of the better big companies to work for in Portland.
Pros
smart, nice people, good pay and benefits, nice facilities
Cons
conformity of style, emphasis on hr activities, management turnover
Place to learn management
Provider Contracting Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, MENovember 7, 2012
Learned about management and different styles. Learning to multitasking. Also enjoyed the environment to work in and the team was great.
Pros
independent
Cons
long days
Martin's Point Health Care is a not for profit provider of health care services with nine primary care practices and outpatient services & health plan
Vendor, Contract, Process Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, MENovember 7, 2012
I was an employee for just under 19 years. I transitioned the department from a Materials Management operation with a staff of 6 in 1993 with a storeroom and courier - to a decentralized operation utilizing PCards and staff of 1. In 2003 the department began to grow and expand inventorying for each of the outlying clinics to a department of 4 in 2012.
I enjoyed seeking out and developing long-term relationships with many local vendors to support our business; even though we rebid major business lines every three years.
Most recently, I was working on developing both a contract and Asset tracking system.
Martin's Point's primary line of business is to provide health care for military retirees and their families. Due to DoD budget cuts, my position was eliminated. The three buyers that I hired & trained, now report to the VP of Support Services (who will absorb my position).
Pros
wonderful staff, 401k matched funds, supportive educational programs, on-site gym
Cons
huge work-load, 360 evaluations, long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Martin's Point Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.

Martin's Point Health Care Reviews by Location