Martin's Point Health Care Employee Reviews

Vendor, Contract, Process Manager (Former Employee), Portland, MEApril 23, 2014
I was laid off after 19 years due to a restructuring.
My work experience has gone from Nursing School, to CNA work in Nursing Homes, to working for a Medical Manufacturer inside Customer Service, to working for a Hospital Supply distributor, to Purchasing in a Hospital to Materials Management for a Surgery center, to Selling Medical & Lab supplies, to my Materials Management career at Martin's Point Health Care. All of my past experience was used in my job as I related to patients, medical staff manufacturer, distributors and vendors.
Systems Specialist I (Former Employee), Portland, MEMarch 2, 2014
Martin's Point has a great environment and great people. I enjoyed working there while I was able to be there.
A great place to train for Health Information Technologies
Health Information Externship (Former Employee), Bangor, MEOctober 17, 2013
A typical day at work here consisted of sorting faxes, processing medical records requests, following up on specialists referral orders/appointments, and requesting results of diagnostic and imaging tests that had been ordered. I also had some exposure to their billing process as well as general front office duties. What I saw from management was good. The office ran quite smoothly and everyone worked as a team to get things done. My co-workers were great and patient in teaching me what I needed to know for entry level HIT work. The hardest thing about the job was just learning all the ways of getting around an electronic medical record and getting the courage to make the calls to follow up on orders and appointments. That was actually the most enjoyable part of the job as well.
Best place I've ever worked up until the new EMR system arrived
clinical (Current Employee), MaineSeptember 27, 2013
Pros: gorgeous facility, benefits, competitive pay, amazing providers to work with
Cons: no breaks, only 30 min lunch, political management, unsupportive and hard to manage home life with such demanding work responsibility, caddy team environment.
I put in close to 3 years and have seen alot of change some good some bad. Most recently a system change in EMR has turn the clinical workers into under appreciated, work horses. Absolutely no flexibility in schedule and the support for "furthering education" is hardly supported by clinical management. The recent changes were to make staff and patients work and healthcare easier. It has been far from easier it has tripled MAs work load and without help. I could go on.
Productive place where you can play wii on your lunch break..
Health Information Specialist (Former Employee), Portland, MEAugust 20, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: short breaks/secrecy
A typical day involved data entry, phone calls, faxing typical office duties. Responsible for outgoing medical records and the validity of authorization forms according to Maine State Law and HIPAA.
The people that work for this company are hands down the best group of people I've come across.
I have grown in each year I was there, in different areas of my department, skills that I will use going forward as I find my forever career.
Personal health care vs. providing health care
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Portsmouth, NHMay 25, 2013
Pros: the providers, patients and coworkers. insurances and 401k.
Cons: constant last minute work schedule changes, little or no breaks.
After 9 years of dedicated service amidst an ever evolving healthcare industry I found it impossible to continue. In the time that I was employed we were always down a clinical support member pre recession! In addition, no coverage was planned for expecting mothers. The load was added on to the remaining support team. Our office manager was unavailable, both in presents and problem solving. I loved my patients. I enjoyed my professional relations with the staff. The company as a whole is facing its challenges wholeheartedly. The hardest part of my job was not being allowed to be more personable with the patients. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing each and every day I might have made someone's life a little better.
Very professional environment--good team-oriented facility
Staff pharmacist (Former Employee), Portland, MEMay 8, 2013
Pros: best staff i ever worked with
Cons: travel
Managed-Care company with broad offerings to their patients in types of plans and choice of pharmacies
Providing excellent primary care to patients.
Family Practice Primary Care Nurse (Current Employee), MaineMarch 2, 2013
Pros: educating and caring for our patients first hand
Cons: pay, uncertainty where the organization is currently going
Fast paced primary care office, managing patient care, working one on one with providers, patients and staff.
Mixed feelings - exciting and challenging times
Employee (Former Employee), Portland, MEJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: friendly environment, good pay and benefits
Cons: lack of work/life balance, uniformity of style and culture vs. diversity
The organization has been facing great change because of the financial and economic times. As a result, decisions in hiring seem to take a long time and recently there have been a number of cuts in staffing. In particular, there has been some high turnover in management (seems like they don't stay more than a couple years).

I will say that Martin's Point:

(+) It pays quite well which can make it very attractive.

(+) The mission and many of the people are dedicated, ambitious and compassionate .

(-) Depending on your job you may or may not experience the politics (e.g. a long delay in decision-making) as well as quickly know what landmines to watch out for.

Martin's Point has much to offer...A piece of advice for one to succeed at Martin's Point - you'll need to be very adaptive, patient with the decision-making (tends to take up a lot of meetings) and be able to handle a heavy workload (not the greatest work/life balance)
Lot's of churn in management
Director (Former Employee), PortlandNovember 22, 2012
Pros: smart, nice people, good pay and benefits, nice facilities
Cons: conformity of style, emphasis on hr activities, management turnover
The organization is certainly changing and management changes the fastest. Most managers/executives don't stay more than a couple years. There's big emphasis on culture so there's a great deal of pressure to adapt and do things with a prescribed style at least as much as getting things done. Lots of committee decision-making.

While it's technically a non-profit, it doesn't feel like one. Financial performance is emphasized as much as mission.

It changed a lot while I was there and felt much more like the typical big company when I left. Still, probably one of the better big companies to work for in Portland.
Place to learn management
Provider Contracting Manager (Former Employee), Portland, MENovember 7, 2012
Pros: independent
Cons: long days
Learned about management and different styles. Learning to multitasking. Also enjoyed the environment to work in and the team was great.
Martin's Point Health Care is a not for profit provider of health care services with nine primary care practices and outpatient services & health plan
Vendor, Contract, Process Manager (Former Employee), Portland, MENovember 7, 2012
Pros: wonderful staff, 401k matched funds, supportive educational programs, on-site gym
Cons: huge work-load, 360 evaluations, long hours
I was an employee for just under 19 years. I transitioned the department from a Materials Management operation with a staff of 6 in 1993 with a storeroom and courier - to a decentralized operation utilizing PCards and staff of 1. In 2003 the department began to grow and expand inventorying for each of the outlying clinics to a department of 4 in 2012.
I enjoyed seeking out and developing long-term relationships with many local vendors to support our business; even though we rebid major business lines every three years.
Most recently, I was working on developing both a contract and Asset tracking system.
Martin's Point's primary line of business is to provide health care for military retirees and their families. Due to DoD budget cuts, my position was eliminated. The three buyers that I hired & trained, now report to the VP of Support Services (who will absorb my position).