Martin Transport, Inc Employee Reviews

martin transport
Maintenance Technician, moving company (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 26, 2016
the hardest part about the job. getting funiture upstairs and downstairs. dealing with outside weather. the best part of the job was the people that i worked with.keeped me in a happy mood the whole time.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
dealing with mean/inappropriate people
Corpus Christi TX.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Kilgore, TXNovember 14, 2016
Best terminal in the company, corpus Christi yard. Outstanding management.Great people to be ,around.Other wise martin transport is everything u don't want in a truckimg company.
Pros
Cons
All in .😖
Sad situation at Martin Transport.
Middle Management (Former Employee) –  Kilgore, TXAugust 24, 2016
Martin Transport was a great company at one time but unfortunately that time has past. In the past 2 years they have lost almost every contract due to being out bid by the competition , lost 100's of drivers and are on tract for more major losses. They have no leadership, no direction and integrity. The good ole boys that are currently in charge of Martin Transport are in above there heads at every level and are not respected by the employees or customers. Everyone is sitting back waiting for the CEO to do something to save this once great company.
Pros
Great people in the terminals and great drivers.
Cons
Lack of leadership in VP roles.
Not the worst, to much drama
OTR Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNAugust 6, 2016
They are right on the "average" pay. Just remember that it is the gross and not take-home. The pay is sporadic, low for two weeks then super high next. You are paid on a "commission", but no one know what it pays until you or someone else has made the run. When you break it down to mileage pay, they come up short in comparison to others. They charge you $25 to preload a trailer. You really have to watch your pay, they will short you on the extras and lay-overs. Thursday is the cut-off day for payroll.
Dispatch will work with you once they know that you are dependable to make your loads on-time. They usually have weekend dispatch. Seldom do they know what you are doing the next day until around 4pm. Mostly one load at a time dispatch. Texas drivers will be given the best of the runs.
They are a "reactive" not a "proactive" company. Safety department treats the drivers as if this is a High school class. One driver fails at a safety check, then apparently all drivers will do the same. They don't want to confront the drivers that cause problems, instead change policy to affect every one. I.e. We now have to keep 2 paper logbooks in the drivers door pouch, because a driver could not find a logbook in his truck during a roadside inspection.
Safety will make changes to the e-log and never tell the drivers nor train them about the changes.
Easy to work with for time off, insurance is pretty good.
Kingsport terminal is micro managed from Longview, TX.
Corporate management likes to tell you how good they are but does not want to hear from the drivers if they have a issue. Corporate
  more... make broad changes and then expect the managers to dispense the change without properly training them. They also make changes without putting it in writing or sending out a memo to the employees.
You find out about changes by trial and error. This includes payroll changes.
Pros
Local, easy for time off, paid weekly, fair price on insurance
Cons
Micro managed from TX, changes made without notice to drivers, watch your pay
A growing company
Primary Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJuly 25, 2016
Over all I found Martin to have a solid base of professionals committed to getting the job done. They offered opportunity for learning and advancement.
fun and productive
truck driver (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 26, 2016
i like star earlier, to check my truck and trailer, planing my route, get comunications whith my dispachers and co drivers and my priority is comunications for better decitions at work
Pros
like work all safety posible
Cons
all time be happy i like drive
Okay place to work; set your own hours
Crude Oil Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2016
If you're assigned to drive crude the job assignments are limited at this time. Not much driver longevity. The good thing is you're given the opportunity to set your own hours within reason. As long as the crude load is delivered safely to the customer the same day you pick it up you will be fine
very good otr company
cdl driver (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WIApril 13, 2016
very good company if u wanted to see the country get paid and have a good dispatch team.. only problem i had was being gone from home
Pros
good people
Cons
gone from home
Work not steady
Driver (Current Employee) –  Arcadia, LAMarch 16, 2016
Huge driver turnover rate. Be prepared to work the majority of weekends as well as 6 days on and 1 day off when they have the loads. Cheap trucks.
Pros
Decent Insurance
Cons
Pretty much everything else
More Money
Crude Oil Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 18, 2016
I was at this job for nearly three years, but I got the opportunity to make more money. So, I took it. Driving is all I have ever done.

Want to know more about Martin Transport, Inc?

Ask a question
ok
CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJanuary 4, 2016
great co to work for, local job, very, very good pay. good workers good manager good hours, good trucks nice bonuses. haul sulfur and sulfuric acid
N/a
Tanker Driver (Former Employee) –  Bossier City, LADecember 18, 2015
Did not get what I thought in line of local routes. I thought I was going to get local routes, but in turn was sent OTR no sooner than I got back in. It is not what I thought it was.
Fun place to work
Terminal Clerk Manager (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXSeptember 22, 2015
I loved this job and the people I worked with, unfortunately my mom became ill and I have to leave. Great Company. The coworkers were wonderful.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Slow at times
Typical employer
Over The Road Driver (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WISeptember 15, 2015
Long Haul, dispatch done through the computer on board the truck. Dispatch attempted to always honor the home time requests as usual it was not always possible. Over all a good company to work for.
Working for Martin Transport
Cross Country Driver (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 18, 2015
very good job, drive across states, management is nice, people are friendly, I enjoy the job but driving across country can be stressing.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WIApril 30, 2015
it was great job nver had any issues with freight and loads to drive regional i was a under dog runner who help and share road and loads
Pros
great job
Cons
great job
Company has changed in the last few years
Hazardous Materials Driver and Trainer (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXMarch 2, 2015
When I started here 10 years ago, this was a great small/medium company; however, in the last 4 years, they have transitioned more towards a corporation...always looking to keep the extra dollar instead of sharing it with the employees.

Like most trucking companies, Martin expects that you work 65-70 each week, and your days off only get in the way of the dispatcher trying to get his job done. If you push-back, you can get more time off, and can even teach the dispatcher your preferred working schedule.

Historically (from my experience and talking with drivers who had been there for many years before I started), this is a good company to work for if you have minimal experience and are wanting to learn to drive and operate a tank truck. And there have always been other companies that are paying more (especially in the Houston area). With that said, until a few years ago, Martin always tried keeping the compensation competitive...usually evened out with newer (and hopefully more reliable) equipment and some of the best medical benefits. Now as the drivers talk to drivers from other companies, the pay grade is separating by 25% or more, which in my opinion, isn't enough to call them competitive any longer.
Indepedent with individual work while correlating with dispatchers
DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Kilgore, TXOctober 16, 2014
Pick u p a load and wait long hours at the plant to drop in off. communicate with other drivers and dispatchers. Hardest part is learning the formulas for the different types of chemicals. Learned how to properly transport liquefied gases.
Pros
Certifications
Cons
Lack of support from adminstration, Negative for off time
No life for drivers outside Beaumont / Houston area
driver (Former Employee) –  memphisMay 15, 2014
Should be a better company, management will definitely live to you, they rely heavily on guys with a year experience or who have fallen on hard times , if you think you are going to make a lot of money don, t waste your time, pay average is about .34 a mile loaded and .30 empty, benefits are the only God thing, the only way you will make money is stay in area where they have lots of work, memphis terminal is the worst, the dispatch will literally starve you to death,
ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
benefits
Cons
everything else
great place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WIMarch 11, 2014
would love to work for them but cant because of medical reasons.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Martin Transport, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval