Mary Cariola Children's Center Employee Reviews

MCCC is founded in interprofessional practice
Senior Speech-Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 17, 2017
Great place to learn your craft, especially as a young professional. Staff are very committed, work is hard but very rewarding. This is a large program so there is room for growth professionally.
Pros
committed staff, excellent resource of equipment and materials
Cons
hard work! Very physical
Very hard, very rewarding work!
Teacher Aide 1 (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 26, 2017
Team meeting with your classroom, talking about the schedule for the day, the child or children you will and any changes that may occur. Then morning and afternoon is split into two sessions with two different groups of children.
This is the first job that i learned a lot about active listening and really being tuned into all of my surroundings. It was important to the children that you heard them even when they didn't say anything, that you knew exactly what they needed.
Management was very supportive and was always there to jump in and help.
Workplace culture was friendly and loving
The hardest part of my job is when i didn't know what the children needed
The most enjoyable part of the job was watching them grow and learn
Enabling special needs young adults to interact with the community
Child Behavior Rehabilitation Specialist-CHS (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 21, 2017
This is a one on one job with the client. Teaching behavior skills, hygiene and everyday management. Staff oversees client at their residential home as well as their home with family. Also oversees doctor appointments, and all outings. Staff assets clients educational progress, behavioral, and medical progress as well.
Pretty Good
Employee (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 18, 2017
The kids are awesome and so are some of the staff, but for the toll the job takes on your body and your mind, the pay is not great. The administration works hard to compensate for that by doing morale boosters, but sometimes it isn't enough. Despite the lack of benefits and cash, the kiddos are what make the days great.
Pros
Seeing the kids succeed, making friends with staff, good hours
Cons
short breaks, little to no benefits, little pay, tough on the body, no room for advancement
Very productive
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 29, 2017
Mary cariola was a lovely job job title was an teacher aide I worked with 16-21 was a challenge students would fight you but through it all I learned slot about their wants in needs
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Paying was horrible
fun and productive place to work.
Teacher's Aide I & II (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 2, 2017
worked with children who have developmental, emotional, and mental disabilities. The job is rewarding and fun. The staff are cultural sensitive to the needs of the children. The hours are good.
Pros
work hours
Cons
30 minute lunch breaks
Productive and fun
Teachers Aid (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 15, 2016
This was a good learning experience, In training I was prepared for what each and every day would be like . Also everyday my conworkers or Main teacher in my class helped me as I struggled within tasks.
Pros
Learning skills
Cons
N/a
Such a Learning Experience
BEHAVIOR TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 11, 2016
Working at Mary Cariola Children's Center has taught me so much about my field of work/study and even myself. The job can be very demanding and stressful at times, but the relationships that you build with the individuals are extremely rewarding!
Child care
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 14, 2016
Assisted children with disabilities while they attended school. Took them to music therapy, and assisted in various activities related to school
ok place
Teacher's aide (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 14, 2016
entry level position for ten years with six years experience going in. No advancement. Enjoyed working with the children. worked with eighteen months to eighteen years of age.
great students, terrible management
Teacher Aide 2 (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 11, 2016
Students are wonderful can be difficult to work with at times because of behavior needs. Classroom staff to student ratio is usually over looked and rooms are down staffed. Pay could be better advancement opportunities could also be more available in order to keep staff who have been around for a few years. Good place to work overall if you enjoy a challenge and students with developmental disabilities
Pros
students and mostly team oriented staff
Cons
pay could be better, more advancement opportunities could be offered to those who really want to stick around
Wonderful environment for children with developmental disabilities
Child Habilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 30, 2016
I worked at Browncroft residence and it was the best and the most rewarding position that I have ever had. The staff were wonderful and the agency was caring.
Pros
enjoy the individuals
Cons
I enjoyed teaching the students lifetime fitness skills.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 20, 2016
The students were very enthusiastic learners, yet the progress was slow. The students learned in classroom environment and in the community based environment. Very unsupportive environment, yet the students were wonderful.
The Children are Great!!
teacher aide2 (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 15, 2016
If your looking to gain knowledge of how disabled children learn and prosper this job is great for that!! The job is rewarding if it had a better management team!! The employees aren't treated fairly and neither are the children! The kids come in to school with obvious signs of abuse and we are told by management that we can't call cps because they have social workers whom handles these issues! Nothing ever changes! It's sad that children have to go through such mistreatment just because their parents or the state is paying a very substantial amount of money to attend every year! They hiring monthly because people find these things out the hard way and quit or get fired! Goodluck
Pros
The Children and Trainings
Cons
Cant be a minute late clocking in, rude supervisors, cant become pregnant without getting backlash, very dangerous work environment, and teachers are constantly out of their classrooms and leave aides with their work load!
Sometimes fun, sometimes stressful
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 10, 2016
Can be very rewarding to see the accomplishments of the children you work with. Can be a very stressful, and physically demanding environment.
I love this job
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 26, 2015
When I first started here it was a different experience for me but by far one of my favorite jobs. This job kept me busy and helped me increase my patience level also. I would recommend this job to anybody it,s a very fun job and the days go by very fast.
It's very interesting.
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 26, 2015
I've learn about many individuals. I've learn sign language working with the individuals.
My co-workers are great. We get along very well. We have a great support team.
The management not so good just needs a few things to be worked on.
The enjoyable part about the job is getting to know the individuals.
Answered busy switchboard and greeting visitors
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 19, 2015
Mary Cariola is a wonderful place to work for in regards to what they do the community and the disabled. I had more experience and skills to offer than just the duties they were having me do.
Love it
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 29, 2015
Perfect environment for those who are trying to become special education teachers. Work one on one with the students to help them perform tasks successfully.
Great Mission; Adequate Work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 19, 2015
Mary Cariola Children's Center has the noble focus of helping the least supported children in education - children with sever intellectual disabilities.

Pros:
- Staff dedicated to the mission
- Some of the students are great people to build relationships with
- Progressive in the education of children with disabilities

Cons:
- The Principals are focused on the students but are NOT at trained on how to be leaders; they are mean, yell at staff, and create a hostile work environment (this goes for some of the teachers as well)
- The Administration team is made up of people who have been with the agency for many many years; they are not necessarily the best in class for their given areas
- The agency can hardly be called progressive in terms of how it treats the people

Overall, there are probably better places to work which also help individuals with intellectual disabilities. There are CERTAINLY better places to work if you just need a job. I would only recommend MCCC if you are in desperate need of gaining experience working with the most severely intellectual delayed students.
Cons
Managers, Principals, Dangerous job, get hurt