Mary Cariola Children's Center Employee Reviews in United States

The Children are Great!!
teacher aide2 (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 15, 2016
If your looking to gain knowledge of how disabled children learn and prosper this job is great for that!! The job is rewarding if it had a better management team!! The employees aren't treated fairly and neither are the children! The kids come in to school with obvious signs of abuse and we are told by management that we can't call cps because they have social workers whom handles these issues! Nothing ever changes! It's sad that children have to go through such mistreatment just because their parents or the state is paying a very substantial amount of money to attend every year! They hiring monthly because people find these things out the hard way and quit or get fired! Goodluck
Pros
The Children and Trainings
Cons
Cant be a minute late clocking in, rude supervisors, cant become pregnant without getting backlash, very dangerous work environment, and teachers are constantly out of their classrooms and leave aides with their work load!
great students, terrible management
Teacher Aide 2 (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 11, 2016
Students are wonderful can be difficult to work with at times because of behavior needs. Classroom staff to student ratio is usually over looked and rooms are down staffed. Pay could be better advancement opportunities could also be more available in order to keep staff who have been around for a few years. Good place to work overall if you enjoy a challenge and students with developmental disabilities
Pros
students and mostly team oriented staff
Cons
pay could be better, more advancement opportunities could be offered to those who really want to stick around
I enjoyed teaching the students lifetime fitness skills.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 20, 2016
The students were very enthusiastic learners, yet the progress was slow. The students learned in classroom environment and in the community based environment. Very unsupportive environment, yet the students were wonderful.
It's very interesting.
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 26, 2015
I've learn about many individuals. I've learn sign language working with the individuals.
My co-workers are great. We get along very well. We have a great support team.
The management not so good just needs a few things to be worked on.
The enjoyable part about the job is getting to know the individuals.
Sometimes fun, sometimes stressful
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 10, 2016
Can be very rewarding to see the accomplishments of the children you work with. Can be a very stressful, and physically demanding environment.
I love this job
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 26, 2015
When I first started here it was a different experience for me but by far one of my favorite jobs. This job kept me busy and helped me increase my patience level also. I would recommend this job to anybody it,s a very fun job and the days go by very fast.
Productive and challenging place to work
Teacher's Aide I & II (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 17, 2015
I learned how to balance work and family at the same time. This job taught me organization skills and I learned how to become a team player and sometimes a leader
Pros
summer breaks
Cons
no good benefits for teachers aides
Great Mission; Adequate Work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 19, 2015
Mary Cariola Children's Center has the noble focus of helping the least supported children in education - children with sever intellectual disabilities.

Pros:
- Staff dedicated to the mission
- Some of the students are great people to build relationships with
- Progressive in the education of children with disabilities

Cons:
- The Principals are focused on the students but are NOT at trained on how to be leaders; they are mean, yell at staff, and create a hostile work environment (this goes for some of the teachers as well)
- The Administration team is made up of people who have been with the agency for many many years; they are not necessarily the best in class for their given areas
- The agency can hardly be called progressive in terms of how it treats the people

Overall, there are probably better places to work which also help individuals with intellectual disabilities. There are CERTAINLY better places to work if you just need a job. I would only recommend MCCC if you are in desperate need of gaining experience working with the most severely intellectual delayed students.
Cons
managers, principals, dangerous job, get hurt
Answered busy switchboard and greeting visitors
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 19, 2015
Mary Cariola is a wonderful place to work for in regards to what they do the community and the disabled. I had more experience and skills to offer than just the duties they were having me do.
Fun place to work, great students
Behavior Therapist (Current Employee) –  New YorkMarch 7, 2013
I work with students daily to help them be successful and get the most out of the school day that they can. I create Functional Behavioral Assessments and Behavior Plans for the students along with modify their programs to meet their individual needs. I work with four other behavior therapists that are outstanding at their job. We all work together to collaborate and exchange ideas on what may help the students. The hardest part of the job is determining what behavior plans work best with the students. It is a process of trying to understand the function of the students behavior and what I can do to modify that behavior so that the student can be successful in school; this is also the most enjoyable part of job.
Pros
students, staff
Love it
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 29, 2015
Perfect environment for those who are trying to become special education teachers. Work one on one with the students to help them perform tasks successfully.
Fullfilling job everyday
Teacher Aid II (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 27, 2014
A typical day at work involves being assigned to a student, running their individual behavior programs, assisting them as needed with daily schedule (work, bathroom, group activities, and more). I work under the direct supervision of a classroom teacher. There is paper work to do each day and cleaning of the classroom, also there is assisting the teacher in preparing activities for the children. I have learned so much in my years of working here and I still continue to learn each day. Each student is an individual and no one student is the same. I have had to manage running classrooms without the teacher and manage issues that come up that the teacher would normally deal with. The hardest part of the job for me is having to say goodbye to students after working with them for a school year as they move to other classrooms. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is to see a smile on a students face when they have learned something new that they have been working on hard for a long time and knowing that you helped teach them that skill.
Pros
school calandar
Cons
i now have a bachelors degree and there is not an opeing for me to move up there.
Teacher's Aide I
Teacher's Aid I (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 14, 2013
I learned so much at this job. I worked with children with multiple diagnosis. It was very challenging but rewarding at the same time. I quit this job because i want more experience outside of the school for working with special needs children.
Pros
great pay, great beneifits, very rewarding job
Cons
behavioral problems with children, may get injured sometimes depends on the child.
Family oriented
Child Habilitation Speciaist/Medical Liaison (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 7, 2013
Behavior challenged Autistic teenage boys in a group home. Worked on daily living skills, behavior modification, and daily schedules. Company rewarded you for achievments. Great crew. Hardest part of the job was leaving. I learned that patients was the key to a smile or a hug,
Very good place to work
Child Habilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairport, NYAugust 12, 2012
This job is not just a job, it's fun. I would assist young individuals at their home and get them ready for the day or assist them with daily activities and then get them ready for bed. It's a great place to work, everyone is very friendly.
Teacher Aid (Current Employee) –  Rochester, nySeptember 11, 2012
Mary Cariola is a great place to work. All the staff are very nice, and easy to get along with. The most enjoyable part of my job, was seeing the kids, and their smiles.
Fulfilling and Rewarding aggression
Child Habilitation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rush, NYApril 12, 2013
Gratifying experience working with children who have a wide range of disabilities. It is tough work sometimes (the children act up towards the staff from time to time).
Pros
free food
Fantastic Agency
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 13, 2014
Highly recommended! Staff are devoted to the children. It is a joyful experience to witness their response to the activities with staff.
I worked during the summer session
TEACHER'S ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 6, 2013
it was a fun place to work, the staff were helpful and the children were a joy to work with.
Pros
part time position
Cons
low pay
Its an okay place a joy to work
Teacher Aide I (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 7, 2012
i liked itforthe timei was there, the students bring joy, the hours are good and the time u get off okay
Pros
students
Cons
staff

4.2