MARY GREELEY MEDICAL CENTER Employee Reviews

A 220 bed hospital providing services you would find at a 400 bed hospital.
Revenue Cycle Director (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 29, 2016
A very progressive hospital with a strong active management team providing an excellent medical base for the community.
Not worth your time
Dietary (Former Employee) –  Ames IowaOctober 20, 2015
I worked in the dietary department for about 6 months. At first everything seemed great. After a few months I started to notice how the director, manager, and executive chief were very unprofessional and had horrible management skills. The pay was great but its not worth the stress they make you go through. The dietary director has anger issues. If he don't like something he will let you know immediately and in a rude way. Super unprofessional of his part. Hopefully one day they get rid of them because many people I worked with quit at the same time as I because of those reason.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Horrible Management, Stressful
Psychiatric Assistant
Psychiatric Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 20, 2015
As a psychiatric assistant, I have worked on the Behavioral Health Unit, as well as the Transitional Living Program. Within each of these locations, I am working one on one with patients and providing documentation to the doctors regarding the patients behaviors, concerns, and other pertinent information.

At the Transitional Living Program, it is one of my duties to insure the clients have a safe environment, a treatment plan that is structured to their needs, as well as a structure enabling them to return to life outside of a hospital setting.
Enjoyed my time at Mary Greeley and grew personally and professionally.
Social Work Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Ames, IowaMay 28, 2015
Very fast paced work environment with plenty of opportunities to learn on a daily basis. Co-workers were awesome to work with, could not ask for better. The hardest part of my job was being in the middle between physicians and patients/families. It was also the most enjoyable too when both parties came to a mutual understanding. Helping through a crisis is rewarding as well.
Pros
Educational opportunities on-site. Benefits for my position were quite generous.
Cons
Being on-call nights and weekends on a rotating basis, stressful at times to coordinate discharges timely.
Admirable investment in education and training of management staff.
Plant Operations Manager. He is a busy man (Former Employee) –  Ames, IA. 34 mile commute to work.March 1, 2015
Typical day consisted of checking current work orders and with work orders completed by staff previous day. Checking on status of projects and checking in with staff. Coordination with vendors was a nearly daily occurrence and keeping code compliant records current. Frequent interaction with payroll included signing off bi-weekly on payroll and making adjustments as needed. Generating and assigning monthly preventative maintenance program work was done monthly at end of month for next month, including frequent completion monitoring. Overseeing projects for other departments was typical to make sure that all needed amenities were properly included. I learned it was important to delegate work to the proper staff members. It was also important to help other departments plan their projects so that fiscal year did not run out on them. The hardest part of the job was that fiscal year projects, and employee reviews were all due at the same time. Many times this required significant weekend time to get both aspects completed on schedule. The most enjoyable parts of the job was giving employees the accolades they deserved, and completing projects on time with proper planning. The most difficult task was keeping the facility within code compliance and in a state of readiness for inspection at all times. Dependence on staff willing to go the extra mile, and being able to identify those people was very important.
Pros
quarterly all management team 2 day training sessions
Cons
worked long hours.
BEST JOB
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 26, 2015
If only they had a permanent opening in the IS dept. I would have stayed. All employees in the IS dept. are great and fun to work with. I learned a lot from each and everyone of them. I would go back in a blink of an eye if something fulltime and permanent opened up.
Surviving on reputation
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 9, 2015
Under new leadership... Hopefully it will restore some of the glory that used to be the norm at workplace. Otherwise the company (dept) has been in a steady rate of decline for about the last 10 years or so.
Pros
pay, availability for overtime
Cons
poor and inexperienced leadership.
Enjoyed my job. The business was sold so reapplied under another name.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 10, 2014
My experiences at Mary Greeley were great especially working on the oncology floor 16 years. The patients were thankful and kind and understanding. The staff although small in numbers worked together.
Pros
employee programs that were free
Cons
short breaks, lunches not defined time
Work alot of weekends
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 26, 2014
Plan on working every other weekend and in this hospital family comes second.
Pros
some staff cares about patients
Cons
they don't care about your family
Dietary - decent pay, great benefits.. but the buck stops there.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 20, 2014
The workload and expectations of certain positions in the Dietetic Services department are outrageous. The turnover rate is high due to the fact that most people get burned out. The department is also very cliquey. Managers tend to target certain employees while showing high favoritism towards others. Managers claim that they want their employees to express their opinions because they are a "family".. but then punish those whom are targeted for doing so. While MGMC claims to be all about serving the patients, apparently in dietary they are all about serving everyone by payscale. Keeping nurses and PCTs happy is more important than doing what is best for the patient. There are also a significant amount of RNs and PCTs that can be extremely rude and demeaning to the those in the Dietary department.

If you are in dire need of a job, the benefits and other perks are fantastic (IPERS, PTO, Insurance, etc.).
It just depends whether or not you feel the treatment is worth the perks.
Pros
decent wages, benefits & perks.
Cons
management, high-turn over, workload, unrealistic expetations, etc.
The Administration was very supportive of everyone.
Medical Records/Sterile Processing Tech (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 17, 2013
I worked in 2 positions while at this hospital. In medical records if answered phones, walked the floors of the hospital looking for missing paper charts and helped with release of information. In sterile processing I clean and sterilized surgical equipment, pulled surgical supplies for next day’s cases and took call for holiday and weekends.
Pros
the administration was so very supportive.
Cons
many times there was not enough time for a lunch away from your desk.
Great
Food Service Worker / Cook (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 14, 2013
I enjoyed working here and the people I worked with very much.
eh
. (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 27, 2013
would be a great place to work, but the people are impossible to please let alone get along with. Too much drama, and it's because the managers allow them to get away with it because they have been there so long.
Pros
pay is ok
Cons
management, people, benifits are too expensive
Excellent place of employment
Professional Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 1, 2012
Mary Greeley Medical Center is a very reputable high state of art Central Iowa hospital serving people in the state of Iowa. I would unequivocally recommend it for employment and/or it's health services it provides. I enjoyed my time there very much. Coworkers were great, hospital staff is great, visitors were great. Very successful health business. Doctors were state-of-the-art.
Pros
beautiful facilities. beautiful cafeteria, and parking ramps.
Cons
n/a