MARY GREELEY MEDICAL CENTER Employee Reviews

Supportive Management
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 13, 2017
Management makes an effort to promote professional advancement through educational opportunities. This hospital does not have mandatory nurse-patient ratios, which creates a very high workload on nurses.
Medical
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 27, 2017
I learned several things from this job. From people skills to compassion for others. I had this job in high school and learned about all kinds of people.
Excellent company
Lead RN dialysis (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 28, 2017
MGMC is a great company to work for. Awesome benefits. Employees are happy and easy to work with. Great team environment. Great place for new nurses to start. You will learn a lot.
Good working environment
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 17, 2017
Enjoyed the environment at Mary Greeley, however the co-workers in the department I worked with were not friendly and made a difficult environment to thrive in.
Pros
Culture of hospital was excellent.
Cons
Small departments with poor management made it hard to work in the department I was in.
Hardworking culture
Staff Hospital Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 27, 2017
The environment was poor at the time due to conflicting personalities within the pharmacy but this has since be remedied with personnel shifts. The pharmacists in place now are extremely interested in providing the most excellent pharmaceutical care possible and making changes to make this happen.
Enjoyable
Hospice RN (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 26, 2017
I have enjoyed working for Mary Greeley Medical Center. They are always working to ensure staff is educated in the areas they work. Their grand rounds are educational. Management is great to talk with and are very understanding.
Dynamic Workplace
Operating Room Surgical Aide (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 5, 2017
Decent place to work. Nurses are treated better. Pay does not match level of work. Co-workers were nice for the most part. Management could use a lesson on managing. Typical day is getting patients into surgery on time and turning the rooms over in a timely fashion to stay on schedule. Includes on-call.
Pros
On-call hours
Cons
Favoritism
I love working with my colleagues
Medical Librarian (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 3, 2017
In the department I work in, people work together incredibly well. We have each other's backs and support each other. We know each other's duties so we can step in and help whenever needed.
Productive and fun workplace
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Ames, Iowa, USA.March 26, 2017
-Provide direct patient care services
-Communicate effectively with patients and food production team members in meal order
-Deliver meals from patient tray line to patients
-Perform routine and specialized assignments in the kitchen, cafeteria, patient tray line, patient floors or special function catering
-Perform a variety of storeroom duties such as inventory, ordering, receiving, shelving orders
About what you would expect as a nurse in iowa
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 26, 2017
The culture and resources are adequate but the management and turnover create a difficult work environment more often than not. Patient loads are typical and the staff is generally helpful. Compensation is below average for Iowa.
Great Environment with a few "Bad Eggs"
Patient Care Technician (PCT) (Current Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 1, 2016
There are many positives to working at Mary Greeley such as career advancement, active management that wants to listen to employee's ideas and concerns, constant innovation, great benefits, and the ability to have a fairly flexible schedule depending on the department.

A typical day is spent on your feet most of the time working with patients and families. Taking vitals, collecting lab specimens, assisting in daily care, assisting with admitting and discharging patients, following a detailed care plan and working closely with nursing staff and physicians.

Management is great, they want to listen to your ideas and concerns and work to help you succeed at your job. The top management is active and they know a majority of their employees by name... a major feat with 1300 employees.

One issue that I wish would change and I have found hard to overcome is the "social groups" that have formed. It can make it hard to do your job when you feel like you can't speak up to someone who talks about you behind your back. There are only a few of these people though. A majority of my coworkers have mutual respect for each other no matter what degree or certification you have and your position within the company.
Pros
Great benefits, constant innovation, active management, and respect
Cons
Drama
A 220 bed hospital providing services you would find at a 400 bed hospital.
Revenue Cycle Director (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 29, 2016
A very progressive hospital with a strong active management team providing an excellent medical base for the community.
Not worth your time
Dietary (Former Employee) –  Ames IowaOctober 20, 2015
I worked in the dietary department for about 6 months. At first everything seemed great. After a few months I started to notice how the director, manager, and executive chief were very unprofessional and had horrible management skills. The pay was great but its not worth the stress they make you go through. The dietary director has anger issues. If he don't like something he will let you know immediately and in a rude way. Super unprofessional of his part. Hopefully one day they get rid of them because many people I worked with quit at the same time as I because of those reason.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Horrible Management, Stressful
Psychiatric Assistant
Psychiatric Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 20, 2015
As a psychiatric assistant, I have worked on the Behavioral Health Unit, as well as the Transitional Living Program. Within each of these locations, I am working one on one with patients and providing documentation to the doctors regarding the patients behaviors, concerns, and other pertinent information.

At the Transitional Living Program, it is one of my duties to insure the clients have a safe environment, a treatment plan that is structured to their needs, as well as a structure enabling them to return to life outside of a hospital setting.
Enjoyed my time at Mary Greeley and grew personally and professionally.
Social Work Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Ames, IowaMay 28, 2015
Very fast paced work environment with plenty of opportunities to learn on a daily basis. Co-workers were awesome to work with, could not ask for better. The hardest part of my job was being in the middle between physicians and patients/families. It was also the most enjoyable too when both parties came to a mutual understanding. Helping through a crisis is rewarding as well.
Pros
Educational opportunities on-site. Benefits for my position were quite generous.
Cons
Being on-call nights and weekends on a rotating basis, stressful at times to coordinate discharges timely.
Admirable investment in education and training of management staff.
Plant Operations Manager. He is a busy man (Former Employee) –  Ames, IA. 34 mile commute to work.March 1, 2015
Typical day consisted of checking current work orders and with work orders completed by staff previous day. Checking on status of projects and checking in with staff. Coordination with vendors was a nearly daily occurrence and keeping code compliant records current. Frequent interaction with payroll included signing off bi-weekly on payroll and making adjustments as needed. Generating and assigning monthly preventative maintenance program work was done monthly at end of month for next month, including frequent completion monitoring. Overseeing projects for other departments was typical to make sure that all needed amenities were properly included. I learned it was important to delegate work to the proper staff members. It was also important to help other departments plan their projects so that fiscal year did not run out on them. The hardest part of the job was that fiscal year projects, and employee reviews were all due at the same time. Many times this required significant weekend time to get both aspects completed on schedule. The most enjoyable parts of the job was giving employees the accolades they deserved, and completing projects on time with proper planning. The most difficult task was keeping the facility within code compliance and in a state of readiness for inspection at all times. Dependence on staff willing to go the extra mile, and being able to identify those people was very important.
Pros
Quarterly all management team 2 day training sessions
Cons
Worked long hours.
Best job
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 26, 2015
If only they had a permanent opening in the IS dept. I would have stayed. All employees in the IS dept. are great and fun to work with. I learned a lot from each and everyone of them. I would go back in a blink of an eye if something fulltime and permanent opened up.
Surviving on reputation
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 9, 2015
Under new leadership... Hopefully it will restore some of the glory that used to be the norm at workplace. Otherwise the company (dept) has been in a steady rate of decline for about the last 10 years or so.
Pros
Pay, availability for overtime
Cons
Poor and inexperienced leadership.
Enjoyed my job. The business was sold so reapplied under another name.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 10, 2014
My experiences at Mary Greeley were great especially working on the oncology floor 16 years. The patients were thankful and kind and understanding. The staff although small in numbers worked together.
Pros
Employee programs that were free
Cons
short breaks, lunches not defined time
Work alot of weekends
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 26, 2014
Plan on working every other weekend and in this hospital family comes second.
Pros
Some staff cares about patients
Cons
They don't care about your family