Mary Kay Inc Employee Reviews

Too girly
IT Management (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXJanuary 28, 2014
The environment is way too girly. They make emphasis that the new employee has to be a culture fit because of that reason. The 'leadership' of the group I was with was not open minded; they believed they were doing things just perfectly, when in fact it had many flaws. When proposing or suggesting new ways, they would answer "that's not the way we do it", or openly ask "what are you saying". The company is doing very well financially due to the good revenues brought by the international operations, so big percentage of the management feels entitled to behave in a "high maintenance" behavior.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
too girly, it feels you are back in highschool, faced to deal with a large group of difficult women
Being your own boss!
Independent Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXNovember 11, 2012
There really isn't a typical day unless you have yourself AMAZINGLY organized with a planner. Everything is set to you. You plan your time and efforts, how to pursue new customers, maintain your current ones...etc; I learned that you have to be really motivated and you have to have people or at least the social skills. All co-workers, which I would say were other beauty consultants, directors, and such...they all were really nice and lovely people. The hardest part of the job is keeping active. Every few months you have to make a 200$ inventory order...the most enjoyable part of the job would probably be selling to my customers, making new friends, and just pushing myself.
independent
Consultant (Former Employee) –  newyorkApril 13, 2014
It taught me how to become a entrepreneur, and also it made me a more independent and driven person. In addition, it taught me that I can become or do anything I put my mind too. This makes me more determined to find my career job because getting to experience being the boss was incredible. when I get a new job I can gain more skill and experience, that I will need in the future to make it into high class criteria. I am determined and driven to the point where I feel whatever job I apply for I am going to get because I am a hard worker and a perfectionist at whatever I put my mind too.

The great part about this job was that I got to work at my own pace because I was independently working for myself.
Challenging, Unique and Fun!
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 6, 2014
A typical day working as a Beauty Consultant for Mary Kay included marketing my products and the Mary Kay business opportunity. I learned unique marketing techniques, how to sell present products and recommend the best product for each customer, organize sales events and recruit team members. The hardest part of the job was getting people to form their own opinion of Mary Kay outside of the "Outdated" and "Unusual" reputation that it's commonly known for. The most enjoyable part of the job was being immersed in makeup and skin care products and making women feel beautiful!
Pros
working with others and selling beauty products!
Cons
no healthcare or benefits.
Great environment, amazing employees
Brand Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 8, 2015
I gained a great deal of real world experiences while Interning with Mary Kay for 2 summers. I was able to experience corporate culture and what it is like to work for a large, global company. I learned skills in Branding, marketing, business development and processing. I assisted members of the brand development team on various projects both in the concept phase and products that will be going to market in the near future. I received so much support from everyone I worked with, and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Fantastic company with amazing people that made me enthusiastic about the branding/marketing world.
Self employed. Helping women to learn how to take care of their skin and learn makeup artistry
Independent Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Grass Valley, CAApril 16, 2015
Network for clients. Hold Facial Parties with interested potential clients. Educate clients on how to chose the right skincare and makeup looks for themselves. Manage my Team and Train them how to be successful above all focus on Customer Service and Satisfaction.
Hardest part of the job is being able to work through the No's to get the Yes's.
Most Enjoyable part of the Job is being able to help someone build their confidence and see an improvement in their skin and overall ability to use makeup to enhance their features
Pros
Flexible work Schedule
Cons
Work through the No's.
Independant beauty consultant, i make my own hours and work with fun, exciting motivated women!!
Senior Independent Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, IndianaSeptember 8, 2012
I market myself in this buisness. I make my own phone calls and set my own appointments. I have an awesome director who is there for me to help whenever i need it. My co beauty consultants, are amazing, we all work together to help each other succeed. The hardest part of the job is having potential clients hold their appointments, or sometimes get them to book because of busy schedules. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with women, and giving them a product to help them feel better and look better on the inside and out.
Pros
make my own hours
Cons
paid based on sales
Everyday reaching for a goal!
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJanuary 12, 2014
I get up ready to make check up phone calls. Making sure all needs are being met. Take care of all my orders. Think of people I can invite to a free pampering or skin care session. Some days can be very busy with personal and business. But I know that happens everywhere you just have to take it in stride. The people I work with are very supportive and uplifting! The hardest part of the job is feeling like I am not doing my best. The most enjoyable part of the job is making someone smile, making someone feel good, making someone feel pretty, just making a difference in someone's life! :)
Pros
making a difference in people's lives.
Cons
you have to look good all the time.
Work from home entrepreneurial business.
Self Employed Entrepreneur (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 1, 2013
The most enjoyable part of this business is what I have learned firsthand by doing. Again, I have learned that your personal relationships with all of the people you come into contact with is a persons best asset in any environment, especially a business one.

While being an Independent Beauty Consultant, I have fine tuned my written and verbal communications skills. I learned what it truly means to be a business owner and how certain decisions affect the greater good of not only yourself and your business but also of those to your clients.
Pros
flexible schedule, advancement opportunities
Cons
adjustable income
Too much time, little compensation
consultant (Former Employee) –  NCApril 27, 2013
Mary Kay as a company has good values and strong views of women working for themselves while helping others. The products while great, are too expensive for the average woman, and if you don't order at least $200 dollars of product you don't receive your consultant discount. Ordering inventory out of pocket is not an option for me because I do not want to be stuck with 600 bucks worth of products that I cannot sell because I am currently unemployed, and my friends and family have a Cover girl and Avon budget these days..lol
Pros
upbeat management team, go getter attitude
Cons
not all its cracked up to be, especially not in my area of the country

Want to know more about Mary Kay Inc?

Ask a question
Productive and great experience if how it is to run your own business
Mary Kay Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cerritos, CAApril 28, 2014
Mary Kay provides you with a great opportunity to invest in product and learn how to run your own business with 50% commission.Great learning experience.Usually I work with people and completing there orders from 10am-7pm. I'm my own manager which means i either have the power an drive to set my business forward or backwards.There are no co-workers but the team mates that i work with as a whole when we go to meetings to talk about better ways we can strive are amazing.The hardest part of this job would be keeping up the optimism and making sure you don't give up,but i enjoy the whole thing.
An awesome way to earn extra money
Independent Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXMay 13, 2013
My personal experience with Mary Kay has been a very growing experience. I have grown in self-confidence and made new friends. I learned how to handle difficult situations and learned not to quit. I love helping other women feel beautiful and find a plan B that they need for their family. My Director has been awesome at helping me with my business and showing how to advance myself up the career path. I think the hardest part of being a Mary Kay beauty consultant is getting out of your own way and doing what you need to do to get where you want to be. The most enjoyable part is helping other women.
The Mary Kay Technique
Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 27, 2014
I love Mary Kay and will continue to work with this company because of the community involvement, wonderful customer appreciation and flexibility of working when I want to. The most enjoyable part of being a Mary Kay beauty consultant is the flexibility! The hardest part of the job is working on commission. I have learned that while I love the flexibility and growth within the community of wonderful ladies that encompass Mary Kay, I need the stability of income which leads me to find another suitable fixed income that I can grow with.
Pros
flexibility, community involvement, customer appreciation
Cons
commission
It's Make-Over Day Every Day
Independent Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) –  Powder Springs, GAJune 19, 2015
Self-employment requires a lot of self discipline. Mornings consist of everything from preparing for upcoming parties to product and service marketing in order t to book new parties. Day time hours I hold most parties and get out into public and meet new people. Evening I wind down and go over what the day brought forth and input any new orders, info, or make any changes. I love not being behind a desk all day!! I love helping others with knowledge on keeping skin beautiful. Requires lots of self discipline.
Pros
Freedom, Own Boss, Schedule Flexability
Cons
Self discipline and persistence when rejected
Summary of my job
Independent Mary Kay Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) –  largo, marylandDecember 5, 2013
This is my own business through MK Inc.. It's simple and easy and you can work it however you want. You're your own boss. I've learnt a lot about the products and all the great things Mary Kay does. We aren't about selling products but enriching women's lives. We are a company that we give woman a chance to be themselves and work for a company that gives back. You get to try great products and show others how great they are. plus you earn a lot of free products. Hardest part is developing a client base.
Pros
50% of sales, earn free products, and work up to earn a free car
Cons
it's hard to start a client base if your in a new place.
Awesome Opportunity
Independent Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) –  Where ever I'm locatedFebruary 28, 2012
My decision to become an Independent Beauty Consutant with Mary Kay, Inc.was two fold. First, because of my desire to be my own boss and to forfil the need to have multiple streams of income and secondly this company was established upon principles that are important to me as a single parent.With a clear career path for advancement already in place clearly the sky is the limit with this organizaton.Being rewarded for your work and being paid what you're worth are just two reasons of being a part of this amazing organization.
Pros
being your own boss, setting your own hours, advancing when you want.
uncapped income,your own business on your time, fun sorority type bond forms with your Mary Kay sisters and brothers
Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2016
a typical day of work for me consist of talking to the people i feel could benefit from the use of our products on line at the grocery store, at my hair appointment, salon etc... its a really organic way of doing business and i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love that i am working for a company that values me. i have learned how to belllter connect with my peers better time management and business savvy when it comes to purchasing inventory. The most enjoyable part of ny job is the freedom.
Pros
independece, diamond rings, cars, recognition
Cons
None!
Fun work place
Mary Kay Assistant (Current Employee) –  Crete, ILSeptember 26, 2014
Starting work day includes organizing my directors travel bad that is taken to clients houses.
I then set up displays of all new products that have come in for the month.
I have learned some sale skills while working for this company and my communication skills have increased greatly.
My director is an amazing person to work with. She is willing to teach me everything she knows.
I am a personal assistant for this director and have no other employees to work with.
My most enjoyable part of this job is watching the growth of her business and making my director happy.
Pros
free samples of new products
Cons
no set work hours
Wonderful Christian based company.
Mary Kay Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) –  Madisonville, KYNovember 8, 2015
Mary Kay is a wonderful company. The company allows you to advice of far as you would like by meeting team member growth and sales expectations. I learned new skills including inventory maintenance, customer service, scheduling, and ordering. The Mary Kay family was amazing to work with. Everyone supported one another and helped each other advice in their careers. The most enjoyable part of the job to me was meeting new people and learning new skills.
Pros
Insentives, Career advancement
Cons
So many people are Beauty Consultants that it is difficult to build a strong customer base.
Director of Sales
Director of Sales (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAMay 14, 2015
I started my day with calls to my unit girls. Checked with each team member to make sure they were on track of all sales, any issues and concerns. Gave daily updates to challenge them to do better with sales, and personal growth. Prepared monthly newsletter for unit; shared achievements and accomplishments. Conducted weekly meeting in the house and offered time for facials and team bonding.

Prepared and honored team members to reach for the Mary Kay company goals. Encouraged all members to attend yearly awards banquet in Dallas, TX.

Enjoyed working with daily inspirational and faith-filled routines.

4.4