Marygrove College Employee Reviews

Meh
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 8, 2016
Ok. This company can be a dream or a nightmare. It all depends on upper management. Please be aware of the snakes. The job is easy and fun, however the benefits and lousy hours, sont so much.
Very unorganized
Employee (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 8, 2016
Everyone is out for themselves. There is no advancement in that company, management cannot be trusted! You never know if the school is going to close or not, I hated working there!
Students are focused and a joy to work with!
Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee) –  DetroitSeptember 15, 2015
The place is a great place to work and it fosters a community environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside of my colleagues and learning from them. Employees are usually there for a long period of time considering the comradery and the students. Upper management and training was the biggest concern considering each was nonexistent.
Benefits
Cons
Management is awful! Training is nonexeistent
Friendly Enviorment
Volunteer Workers (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 26, 2016
Typical work environment fun friendly love dealing with the children. I've learned how to obtain a normal steady work pace while dealing with school also I learned how to become a people's person a well as organized with company documents.
Pros
Free lunch, invitation to the church
Cons
Long after nights
productive and fun workplace
Social work research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 20, 2016
(MY POSITION FOR THIS JOB WILL END AT THE END OF THE SEMESTER MARCH 8,2016) This is a work study job through the college that I currently attend. I really enjoy this position because it allows me to research and interact with faculty and participate in community networking.
Pros
RESEARCH, COMPUTER ACCESS
Cons
NO BREAKS
Human Resources Generalist
Payroll Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 12, 2015
I enjoyed working at Marygrove. The environment was laid back and Fun. Work load wasn't overwhelming but challenging at times. Work schedule averaged 8:30a - 5:00pm M-F. Some weekend work not often.
Pros
friendly, safe and fun work environment.
Cons
Low Compensation
Environmental Specialist
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 13, 2015
A typical day here was fun but a lot of work. I was particularly skilled at promoting a positive and productive work environment. I could always be counted on to work side-by-side with staff, serving as a positive influence as well as leading by example. I always completed assignments ahead of schedule.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Low Salary and not many labor hours
Great work environment, supportive
Writing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 24, 2012
Great working environment for anyone interested in gaining tutoring or teaching experience.
Pros
great teaching experience, wonderful environment, supportive staff
Cons
no benefits, low compensation
Great first job for college students
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 27, 2015
One thing I enjoyed about being a tutor is working independently but having support from co-workers as needed. Everyone is friendly and more than willing to help when they can. Supervisors and professors are very helpful as well. Depending on the students you tutor you can learn several valuable lessons. I primarily learned patience, leadership, and communication skills as often times students would require some of each of those skills. The hardest part of the job was finding ways to effectively communicate with students from different backgrounds and cultures to achieve a common goal. One thing I di not like was the job insecurity. There seems to not be any way of advancing and the pay is not so good. However, it is a viable job for college students to gain experience and learn skills that can be applied to other jobs and to real-life situations.
Unfair treatment of students
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 11, 2015
This college is not fair to students who lack the financial resources to earn their degree. The more you make the more money you receive for tuition. The less money you make the less money you receive for tuition. This college is for the wealthy only.
Good job and the staff and students work well together
Campus Safety Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 10, 2015
I have been working for Marygrove College for over 10yrs and enjoy working with the staff and students. I am a people person so I get to interact with people on a daily basis. I take my responsibility as a Campus Safety Officer Supervisor very serious because there are students that lives on campus and me along with my Officers must maintain a safe environment for them to live on Campus. As a Supervisor I do scheduling ,training, payroll and report writing. I love a challenge so I can't say that my job is hard.
Work-Study
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 8, 2015
This was a good work study job environment. Throughout the years all of my managers were friendly and understandable of my changing school schedule.
Pros
Workable hours, friendly management
Great Work Environment
Writing Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 4, 2013
A typical day at work included data entry using MS Excel, i.e., logging student’s assessment scores into a filing system. Thus, I’ve learned how to defrag a computer to prevent a malfunction and / or hard drive performance deterioration. Therefore, the computer will run more efficient. However, working for Marygrove College I’ve learned a lot about management, i.e.; management of time, management of tasks’, and management of helping people in a timely order. It is imperative to conduct manners in a timely and (respectful) order for production, e.g., tasks’ to be carried out efficiently.
Marygrove College is a productive place to work
Online Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 6, 2015
I teach in the online education division. I teach students who are working on the Master in the Art of teaching degree. I am a mentor advisor. In this role, I meet at the college once a month to make decisions about the Master in the Art of teaching program.

I have learned to work effectively with colleagues and support students as they complete their degree. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing students who struggled finish their degree.

The hardest part of the job is traveling to the college once a month.
Pros
I get to work from home.
Cons
I really do not get to meet my students unless they come to graduation
Nice job
Assistant Lab Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 13, 2015
Easy job, reliable for a seasonal position, a few mistakes were made by payroll, I enjoyed working for my supervisor. This was a work study position and the pay helped.
For the most part Marygrove College is a pleasant and challenging place to work.
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 1, 2014
A typical day at Marygrove requires interaction with students, faculty and staff. It involves oversight of all functions within the Registrar's Office and coordination of processes with other offices.

When I started at Marygrove I discovered that it was governed by many committees and that decisions regarding operations were normally made at the committee level.

There is a senior leadership team that has oversight of the institution.

My co-workers are pleasant to work with.

Marygrove is understaffed in many departments. Finding enough hours in the day to get necessary tasks done is challenging.

Implementing new processes that reduce work load and improve system functionality while providing greater customer service to all clients is very rewarding.
Productive college environment meet some peers during this project.
Project Implementation Team member (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 18, 2013
A typical day included a very busy and productive day. As we were on a time line the project was completed a head of time.What I learn was some on site training for the Windows 7 upgrade. The co- workers were people that were pulled together for this project and we got the job done! The hardest part of this job were the 12 -16 hours days. the most enjoyable part was the team work the free lunches and the pay!
Pros
Great work expereince, ability to learn something new and Team build.
Cons
Working hours were some day 12- 16 hours for a project.
Fun place to teach and learn
Writing Consultant in the Geschke Writing Center (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 1, 2015
Advise new students on writing effective academic papers.
Revise and recommend changes to the student’s papers.
Guide and teach students the use of MLA format.
Inspire students in gaining confidence as writers.
Fun
Associate Head Coach (Former Employee) –  DetoitJune 16, 2015
Great overall to work for a lot of traveling meeting people helping to guide young people in growth towards life challanges
Pros
Freedom to work alone
Cons
travel
A Mission to Educate members of a Diverse Urban Community
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 8, 2012
Overall, I appreciated and enjoyed my experience working as an Instructor for Marygrove's Department of Continuing Education. Both colleagues and their support team were cooperative, resourceful and determined to educate all students who attended the enrichment services program. Regardless of ethnicity, economic status, religious and/or cultural beliefs the department continued to help students with resources and learning tools necessary to build stronger academic skills. The hardest part of the job was meeting the needs of all my students, encouraging them to do the best and maintain high expectations, even when they missed steps. Likewise, the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the joy and appreciation on student's faces when they had mastered specific skills and were ready to move on to the next level. Teaching is a challenging profession, however, knowing that students have accomplish their goals makes it worthwhile. As alumni, it was a privilege to assists other students like the professors, and staff helped me when I attended Marygrove College.
Pros
assisting students of a diverse urban setting
Cons
class size varies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marygrove College. Our community is ready to answer.

Marygrove College Reviews by Location