Maryhaven Center of Hope Employee Reviews

Mentally Ill Housing
Rehabilitation Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wantagh, NYMay 10, 2017
Not a bad place to work. I gained some good experience. Some employees were great while others were not so much. Worked in the housing residential area of Maryhaven Center of Human. Pay increases and advancement possible.
Pros
Flexible hours, helps to pay for furthering your education, some room for advancement
Cons
Some employees were lazy, some acted a little more like clients.
Great place to work. Company is dedicated to enhancing the lives of people with disabilities.
Residential Manager (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson Station, NYApril 24, 2017
Maryhaven is truly a wonderful organization to work with. High standards are set to ensure people with disabilities have every opportunity to learn and grow. Person centered, person driven.
uhh
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYApril 7, 2017
Provide the residence with all the help in which they need. Your job is to aide the individuals to be as independent as possible. The children will enrich your life more than you will theirs, which for me was amazing.
Pros
helping other daily
Cons
management and staff. there's no room for growth.
Maryhaven is excellent
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Miller Place, NYMarch 21, 2017
Maryhaven Center of hope was enjoyable to work for I learn many skill from working here. I became first aid CPR and aed certified. I would like to use what i learned to build on myself
Nice place to work
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYFebruary 21, 2017
Always a good atmosphere with plenty of help to go around. The staff communicated we'll and worked like a team. Hardesat part of the job was keeping everyone happy. I enjoyed making the residents feel good and seeing them smile.
Hands on mindset is a must
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Holtsville, NYJanuary 11, 2017
It was great taking care of the people that resided at the intermediate care facility that I worked for. Unfortunately, when an opportunity for advancement presented itself, it was given to someone who had slightly more experience but not necessarily more qualified. I applied to another company and got a management position the following week.
good place
Medical Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYDecember 18, 2016
Is a great place to work.
Was able to get map certification.
I got to learn about people with developmental disabilities.
Was a very rewarding experience.
Very productive and kept busy
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYDecember 8, 2016
I enjoyed working with individuals who weren't able to help themselves. It was a very goof work experience. Although sometimes manager chose favorites among the workers as they were acquaintances, always causing conflict among the workers. Which would take time away from the individuals who really needed the guidance and attention
Work day at Maryhaven
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYDecember 2, 2016
Typical work day is caring for the individuals needs. What I have learned is the person center planing toward the individual needs and wants. Management and co-workers work well as a team. The hardest part of the job is working when its under ratio. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the individuals accomplished their tasks/goals independently.
I strongly believe that Maryhaven needs to be unionized for empolyees.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
short staff
Work
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYNovember 1, 2016
This was a good company to work for. It was hard work long but good pay. At times manangement could be hard on employees but there intensions for individuals was managements goal.

Want to know more about Maryhaven Center of Hope?

Ask a question
Interesting place
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  West Babylon, NYAugust 17, 2016
lots of experience
good work ethic
great people
learned how to feed
give medication
change people
watch developmental disabled
Rewarding and Informational
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJuly 15, 2016
This job is very enjoyable. Being able to help others that have a hard time helping themselves is rewarding to staff at the end of each shift. Building friendships and bettering lives is the best part about this job.
Great work experience and knowledge that I can take with me in my future employment
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Miller Place, NYJuly 9, 2016
A typical work day would be preparing food, activities, and other daily necessities for the individuals that resided in the residence. I learned a lot about the mental disabled population, communication skills, team concept, different types of medications and administrations of those medications. My management and co-workers were all friendly and we all worked as a team. There were some times that communication between all would be lacking, but we were able to discuss and work on those areas. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that each day I was able to get up and go and care for such amazing, unique individuals. I was able to be apart of their lives which made my life richer.
Pros
Some overtime
Cons
not a lot of overtime
It is not a bad company overall
Parent Aide (Mentor) (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 28, 2016
The pay sucks. You have to have a love for people to get the most out of your position. You have tons of paperwork...so you have to be flexible.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Pay sucks!!!
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMarch 18, 2016
I would recommend this job to anyone who loves working in this community. Very rewarding. Both the individuals and co-workers are such a pleasure to be around. I look forward to going to work each day.
Great place to work as a caregiver with an energetic team of coworkers.
Direct care counselor; housekeeper cook (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYSeptember 21, 2015
Maryhaven is a place that truly cares about every aspect of it's residential population of physically and developmentally challenged children and adults. As a direct care counselor, I came in early every morning and assisted the clients with their wake up routines before they went on with either schooling or work related services.
Then we returned to our own homes after two hours.
In the afternoon the same team would be there waiting for them to continue assisting them with their afternoon, evening and bedtime routines. This included direct care such as hygiene and dressing, eating and recreational activities. The team always backed one another up when stress levels of caring for low functioning individuals became high. We laughed a lot and really got to know our clients on a deep level, encouraging them in everything they did.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with aggressive outburst where SKIP training was needed to subdue and calm the individuals so no injuries would occur.
As a housekeeper/cook I would clean the home, shop for food and supplies, and cook and clean after meals.
Pros
Learning about what life is like for the developmentally challenged community.
Cons
Dealing with violent and aggressive behaviors. Split shifts.
to many supervisors not enough staff
Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson Station, NYAugust 20, 2015
the supervisors refuse to listen to employee concerns and if they do nothing gets done about it, tense working atmosphere, of course this is all my opinion.
Elmont house not a home
DSP3 (Current Employee) –  Port JeffersonAugust 14, 2015
Love the compay its the staff thats hard to work with.
hard to distinguish residents from staff.
Love to interact with the resident they have a great attitude about life
Pros
can't think of anything
Cons
again can't think of anything
Great Place
Activities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Yaphank, NYAugust 4, 2015
Very caring, employees really have their hearts involved with the population. The salary is alright but the most important thing is how rewarding the job becomes!! It has been one of the best careers I've been able to exprerience.
Great place to work as well as great job security
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMarch 3, 2015
Maryhaven provides jobs working with developmentally disabled adults and adolescents. Some people find it difficult starting out at a job like this but all jobs can be intimidating in the beginning . Once you begin to learn how everything works it gets easier. The benefit program is excellent as well as all the other perks included with your employment. This job requires all employees to work together as a team to reach the common goal of proper care and life assistance to its clients. It is a very rewarding job knowing that you have helped someone achieve a goal that they may not have been able to on their own. They have many locations to chose from all over Long Island. I have been working for this agency for almost three years now and I can honestly say I recommend Maryhaven to anyone looking for employment.
Pros
Amazing benefits, strong staff support, many available shifts and positions
Cons
small raises

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maryhaven Center of Hope. Our community is ready to answer.