Maryhaven Center of Hope Employee Reviews in United States

Great work experience and knowledge that I can take with me in my future employment
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Miller Place, NYJuly 9, 2016
A typical work day would be preparing food, activities, and other daily necessities for the individuals that resided in the residence. I learned a lot about the mental disabled population, communication skills, team concept, different types of medications and administrations of those medications. My management and co-workers were all friendly and we all worked as a team. There were some times that communication between all would be lacking, but we were able to discuss and work on those areas. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that each day I was able to get up and go and care for such amazing, unique individuals. I was able to be apart of their lives which made my life richer.
Pros
Some overtime
Cons
not a lot of overtime
It is not a bad company overall
Parent Aide (Mentor) (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 28, 2016
The pay sucks. You have to have a love for people to get the most out of your position. You have tons of paperwork...so you have to be flexible.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Pay sucks!!!
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMarch 18, 2016
I would recommend this job to anyone who loves working in this community. Very rewarding. Both the individuals and co-workers are such a pleasure to be around. I look forward to going to work each day.
Great place to work as a caregiver with an energetic team of coworkers.
Direct care counselor; housekeeper cook (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYSeptember 21, 2015
Maryhaven is a place that truly cares about every aspect of it's residential population of physically and developmentally challenged children and adults. As a direct care counselor, I came in early every morning and assisted the clients with their wake up routines before they went on with either schooling or work related services.
Then we returned to our own homes after two hours.
In the afternoon the same team would be there waiting for them to continue assisting them with their afternoon, evening and bedtime routines. This included direct care such as hygiene and dressing, eating and recreational activities. The team always backed one another up when stress levels of caring for low functioning individuals became high. We laughed a lot and really got to know our clients on a deep level, encouraging them in everything they did.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with aggressive outburst where SKIP training was needed to subdue and calm the individuals so no injuries would occur.
As a housekeeper/cook I would clean the home, shop for food and supplies, and cook and clean after meals.
Pros
Learning about what life is like for the developmentally challenged community.
Cons
Dealing with violent and aggressive behaviors. Split shifts.
to many supervisors not enough staff
Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson Station, NYAugust 20, 2015
the supervisors refuse to listen to employee concerns and if they do nothing gets done about it, tense working atmosphere, of course this is all my opinion.
Elmont house not a home
DSP3 (Current Employee) –  Port JeffersonAugust 14, 2015
Love the compay its the staff thats hard to work with.
hard to distinguish residents from staff.
Love to interact with the resident they have a great attitude about life
Pros
can't think of anything
Cons
again can't think of anything
Great Place
Activities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Yaphank, NYAugust 4, 2015
Very caring, employees really have their hearts involved with the population. The salary is alright but the most important thing is how rewarding the job becomes!! It has been one of the best careers I've been able to exprerience.
Great place to work as well as great job security
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMarch 3, 2015
Maryhaven provides jobs working with developmentally disabled adults and adolescents. Some people find it difficult starting out at a job like this but all jobs can be intimidating in the beginning . Once you begin to learn how everything works it gets easier. The benefit program is excellent as well as all the other perks included with your employment. This job requires all employees to work together as a team to reach the common goal of proper care and life assistance to its clients. It is a very rewarding job knowing that you have helped someone achieve a goal that they may not have been able to on their own. They have many locations to chose from all over Long Island. I have been working for this agency for almost three years now and I can honestly say I recommend Maryhaven to anyone looking for employment.
Pros
amazing benefits, strong staff support, many available shifts and positions
Cons
small raises
Productive and caring workplace, that shows compassion for the individuals served.
Clinical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Freeport, NYFebruary 2, 2015
A typical day includes meeting with individuals entering the PROS program and conducting screening assessments, as well as group counseling sessions and individual sessions. The staff is an interdisciplinary team, working together to assist individuals diagnosed with severe and persistent mental illnesses achieve their goals. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see progress in the individuals goal attainment, no matter how small. The hardest part is sometimes the lack of progress or when individuals are resistant to accepting help.
Pros
understanding management staff, excellent vacation time
Cons
low salary, no room for career advancement/promotions
Teacher's Assistant in a Residential School
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJanuary 5, 2015
Students were mentally and physically disabled, their ages ranged from 5yrs old to 21yrs old. I provided assistance in bathing, feeding, dressing and grooming. I brought the clients to their medical appointments, church services and various field trips in the community.
Productive workplace
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  West Babylon, NYDecember 16, 2014
Good Place to start a career. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a caring staff, which made the job easier. It's a great stepping stone into a healthcare career. There was heavy workloads at times but it's definitely an enjoyable workplace.
Great environment with excellent staff
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYDecember 10, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Maryhaven. I was employed by this agency for seven years and fortunate enough to experience a variety of different positions while there. They are a very giving and generous work environment both towards their staff and their clients.
Pros
discounted meals
Case Management
Registered Nurse, Case Manager (Former Employee) –  NVNovember 25, 2014
Overall pleasant job. 8 hour shifts, enjoyed working with clients and a diverse staff,
Fun, Rewarding
Recreational Specialist (Current Employee) –  Holtsville, NYNovember 1, 2014
Create fun and educational recreation activities for individuals with developmental disabilities. Plan all outings, handle all money, responsible for staff and individuals on outings, manage staff when head management is not available. I learned to take into consideration the individual's diagnoses, their limitations and interests to have successful activities. My house manager relies on me heavily to watch over staff when assistants are not there. My co-workers are older than I am, yet they still respect my authority. The most enjoyable part of the job is the simple and large rewards of the individuals, such as personal improvements.
Pros
fun outings, rewarding, close co-work relationships, house setting, benefits
Cons
very little breaks, very little pay
Hard work, little pay
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYSeptember 27, 2014
Not the best working environment. Individuals were violent towards staff frequently. Did enjoy developing rapport with individuals, taking them on day trips, helping them with goals, and spending time with them.
Nice and fun enviroment
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYAugust 30, 2014
A typical day of work would start off with asking fellow co-workers how the day was going so far. Just so I could know what kind of moods my clients would be in when I greeted them. Some clients would want to be taken into the activity room to play with other clients and some would just want to stay in their own rooms. When dinner time came, I took my clients to the cafeteria so they could eat. I monitored how they ate and made sure they had the correct diet orders. When it was time for showers, I prepared my clients for their showers and helped the ones that weren't independent to bathe. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the children I worked with have fun and enjoy themselves despite their limitations. My co-workers were great and everyone took their jobs seriously.
Pros
the staff were really nice.
Cons
dealing with violent behaviors from the clients.
Working with the individuals is very rewarding
Activities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Medford, NYAugust 27, 2014
I learned 'patience' to the highest degree. Work well with my co-workers, we are 'team' players.
Pros
$2.00 lunches, friendly environment
Cons
working with behaviors
Love & friendship
DSP (Current Employee) –  Baiting Hollow, NYJune 25, 2014
This job as a DSP has helped me grow and learn that life is too precious. Being able to help others in need is the hi light of my day, week, month and year. To be able to grow more and experience is my passion. I have created special friendships working with Maryhaven and I wouldn't trade it for the world!.
Pros
cooking and hanging out with the cool people!
Cons
no cons.
Rewarding and challenging place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMay 29, 2014
The ten years I've worked at Maryhaven, I learned a lot about myself and others. On a day to day basis I was faced with new challenges such as identifying a crisis situation or assisting a staff member with a question. Maryhaven was always evolving. The difficult part of the job was when an individual I worked close with for many years became terminally ill. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I made a difference each day in the lives of the people I cared for.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
on call
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMay 23, 2014
- worked with various ages
- gain a lot of experience in leadership