Maryhaven Employee Reviews

Best place & best people
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 8, 2017
I’ve been at maryhaven for about 10 years, this facility is very beautiful we got a remodel a couple months ago. The employees are all friendly and welcoming. This is a great place for young adults straight out of college and people who has been in the field for years. I would definitely recommend this company!
Pros
Great benefits!
Cons
No cons
Overworked/Underpaid
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYSeptember 22, 2017
They overwork you to death. If you're in residential prepare to work 12+ hours every shift. The pay is nothing for the amount of workload you are given. As rewarding as the job is and even for how great the benefits are, it's not worth it. They do not care about or protect their employees. They treat you like you are disposable but yet they're constantly looking for staff. It's very sad.
Pros
Rewarding job, good benefits.
Cons
Everything else.
An Intern's Review
Counselor in Training (CIT) (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 29, 2017
The employees all have significant concern and compassion for their clients/patients.

Paraprofessionals need training in working with clients respectfully.

Counselors are overwhelmed with responsibilities.
Pros
Compassionate Counselors
Cons
Some leaders need training in more collaborative, supportive styles of leadership
very unhappy
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Holtsville, NYJuly 25, 2017
I felt the staff and managers were very unprofesional. There was more drama and fratinization than anything else. The residents were not treated very well and the managers point blame on staff to keep there jobs.
Avoid like the plague
Driver (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson Station, NYJuly 15, 2017
I wasn't there long and lost interest in the position I held because of the insultingly low pay -- it's pathetic. Whether the fields are nursing, care aides, or transportation, you're gonna earn less at Maryhaven than at other companies. You need to have a desire and passion to take care of diabled folks, otherwise the low pay will make you resentful and you'll end up asking yourself, "Why am I here?" On top of that, the place is run down, staffed with portly, know-it-all libtards, and the place has a peculiar smell. I was happy to leave.
Benefits
Cons
The staff
Great Job I enjoyed working here
Assistant Drug Counselor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 25, 2017
A typical day would start by processing new people into the system.Holding group session talking about how to maintain sobriety and addressing issue great job
Awesome
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMay 15, 2017
Caring for the developmentally disabled was a very fulfilling and satisfying position. I would definitely get back into the field and have no complaints about this particular company
Maryahven
Case Aide (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 4, 2017
Maryhaven provides care givers to heal and become compassionate to clients suffering from addiction. Management is not the best, can be chaotic. Tread with care.
Culturally Diverse
Lead Case Aide (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 3, 2017
Maryhaven has been in existence for many years for many reason. They provide medical, mental, addiction and linkage to social services. Holistic recovery
Pros
Balanced meals for clients
Ready to relocate
Billing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 7, 2017
I have been in Behavioral Health Billing for many years and this was an opportunity for me to expand my knowledge in this field. I was able to work independently which allowed me to work more efficient and be more accurate.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Environment/Management
rewarding
Goal Coach/Case Aid (Former Employee) –  Marysville, OHFebruary 13, 2017
working with those who are battling substance abuse and mental health challenges. Being a roll model and sounding board for those who need someone to listen. Assist in setting goals of sobriety and futures after sobriety
Pros
measured success day by day
Cons
relapse realisim
Worst job ever
LPN (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 31, 2016
This place is unorganized, unethical and unpredictable. The nurses are not trained correctly, the charge nurse is hard to get along with. Upper management will not stand up for you even if you are right. The case aids are out of control and do not take direction from nurses. Save your license, do not work here.
Overall work day at Maryhaven
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYDecember 2, 2016
Typical work day is caring for the individuals needs. What I have learned is the person center planing toward the individual needs and wants. Management and co-workers work well as a team. The hardest part of the job is working when its under ratio. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the individuals accomplished their tasks/goals independently.
I strongly believe that Maryhaven needs to be unionized for empolyees.
Pros
Team work when needed
Cons
Not enough staff per shift
rewarding
Register Nurse (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHOctober 30, 2016
The clients made the job rewarding and difficult at the same time. Working with addiction is a rough field. The staffed cared but resources are scarce
I have learned a lot about the field.
Drug and Alcohol Counselor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 2, 2016
I try to stay busy all of the time with groups and one on one sessions with clients. Work closely with clinical supervisor. Communication with co-workers are important. The most enjoyable part of the job is my clients.
Pros
I have a passion for my work and my clients.
Cons
Ins has high deductable.
It is not a bad company overall
Parent Aide (Mentor) (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 28, 2016
The pay sucks. You have to have a love for people to get the most out of your position. You have tons of paperwork...so you have to be flexible.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Pay sucks!!!
good recovery program
Internship (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 14, 2016
I only have experience with the Residential Adolescent Unit. Staff is committed to the recovery of their clients. Groups are held twice daily and there is an opportunity for the clients to continue their education in house as well as a credit recovery program.
Management in the Adolescent Unit is very supportive of interns and the supervisors are extremely knowledgeable.
I have learned and practiced assessments, leading groups and individual clients as well as family sessions. The hardest part of the job has been to learn to "go with the flow" dealing with chemically addicted adolescents particularly boys, in my case. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the difference made in the lives of the clients.
Pros
staff and ability to learn as an intern
Cons
space shortage for clinicians
good
CCP (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJanuary 12, 2016
Like the overall mission of this fcilty. school was on site. and individuals were exposed to outside life in the form of occupations and community outings.
An interesting experience
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 31, 2015
Working here is non stop action when working with the adolescent population. The ability to think quickly and often with out assistance is a must. No much to be learned here from the upper management although co-workers will provide assistance when available. the hardest part of the job is minimal job training, limited CEU opportunities due to work load, reactive supervision and intervention, and high demand on productivity with minimal time for documentation. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the autonomy of the position, knowledgeable, co-workers, and pay.
Not paid enough job is stressful
FULL TIME DIRECT SUPPORT PROFFESIONAL (Current Employee) –  port jefferson nyAugust 11, 2015
At this job you do everything from cooking to cleaning to showering. Also you don't get paid enough other agencies pay a lot more. I give out meds at this job and your responsible for a lot.
Pros
rewarding work
Cons
no breaks low pay