Maryland Environmental Service Employee Reviews

Fun and Productive Workplace.
Student Intern, Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee), Millersville, MDSeptember 29, 2014
From June 2012 to August 2013, I worked as an Engineering Co-Op at Maryland Environmental Service. I worked with a Geographic Information System (GIS) everyday at work. I would use a GIS to track invasive species all over Anne Arundel County. My co-workers and I would often go out in the field and attack the invasive species wherever need be. The most enjoyable part of my job was working in a team and going out in the field to eliminate invasive species.

Along with working in the GIS department, I often used excel to organize company invoices.
Laid back job with fun working environment.
Plant Operator (Former Employee), Millersville, MDJune 23, 2014
Pretty easy job. With a fun working environment. Reasonable work hours.
Company did not offer much mentoring
Operations Manager (Former Employee), King George, VAJanuary 30, 2014
A typical day was running a multi-million dollar operation out of state. Loved the challenge and my employees
Great Job; love what company represents
Management Specialist I (Current Employee), Millersville, MDDecember 31, 2013
Pros: great environment
Cons: co-workers
I love my job and what i do; however I would like to able to use the skills and knowledge to my full ability.

Awesome supervisors and bosses; co-workers with-in department not so much.
Enjoy working.
Assistant to the Director and Deputy Director (Current Employee), Millersville, MDOctober 23, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: very slow most of the time.
Working for the Director and Deputy Director is very different from day to day. Learning new management skills and knowing more of Microsoft Outlook. Enjoy working with other co-workers. I would like to be more active in my daily duties. Sometimes a typical day here at Maryland Environmental Service is not busy enough for me as I would like to be.
Great job opportunity for me. Tested my skills. Very productive company.
❸ GIS Intern (Former Employee), Millersville, MDMay 14, 2013
Pros: paid lunches, good pay, great people, interesting work
Cons: short breaks
At MES, I learned how to act and put forth my skills using Geographic Information Systems in an office environment. My co workers were very helpful and had a lot of insightful knowledge to provide me with. My typical day of work consisted of 8 hours. Normally, I would go out in the field and study invasive species along side state highways. Our main client was the state highway administration. When I wasn't in the field, I was digitizing on the desktop computer. The most enjoyable part of the job was working out in the field with other co-workers. I looked forward to doing this everyday I came into work. This job taught me how to work in an office environment for the first time in my life. It also taught me how to organize and space my work on certain projects.
DO NOT WORK HERE
Supervisor (Current Employee), BWIFebruary 22, 2013
Pros: decent health care, good job security
Cons: low compensation, no advancement, terrible management, no work/life balance
After 5+ years with MES I would not recommend this company to anyone. Compensation is low, but benefits are decent as they are part of the state health care system. The company is focused on being cheap and maintaining the status quo. They invest nothing into their employees beyond the bare minimum certifications required for the job. They also turn down any ideas towards innovation or efficiency. Upper management is untrustworthy. There is great job security as you can't get fired after the probationary period, but there is little to no room for advancement. Advancement is based solely on nepotism and how long you have been with the company. Raises are predetermined independent of performance. Also, most jobs require 24/7 response.
Could be more Employee friendly
Wastewater Plant Operator (Current Employee), Cambridge, MDFebruary 2, 2013
Not putting down the Company. The supervisory staff could be a lot less favorable towards certain individuals and be a team player.
Good company but lack of advancement/pay once you hit certain points
Operator (Current Employee), MarylandJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: fully paid training, lots of different facilities
Cons: lack of advancement/pay once you have your licenses
Overall MES is a great agency to work for. Good people with good intentions in a friendly atmosphere but the agency is bloated and not streamlined. The pay is not great and they expect you to do a lot with small budgets and large amounts of repetitive paperwork. The field staff and office staff do not communicate well. Field staff are rushed to complete tasks as quickly as possible and turn everything into the office where it sits for weeks on end while the field staff have to make do without needed equipment or parts while paperwork is processed.
not a good place for a future
heavy equ.operator,computer operator (Former Employee), ,Upper Marlboro,Md. ,Easton,Md.April 25, 2012
Cons: everything
went out of my way,did operations mgr's job most of the time and took the credit.one of the top supervisors wanted someone he knew hired so he said to push him ahead of others with more experence.i was injured on the job due to having to use equipment that was damaged ,repaired and put back in service.it was to be thrown away and not repaired.i was on it at the operations mgr's orders and it broke.i landed on the asphalt .i have many injurys that prevents me from working .I WAS TERMINATED WITH OUT CAUSE. i was intitled to FMLA but denied.one operations mgr. uses the office as his private spot for him and the cleaning woman.drugs are also there but they cover for each other.i applied for the job of operations mgr.but it was given to another man who did not have the license for composting from the department of agriculture and i did.you figure it out